Recommendations for helmet rear light wanted- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Recommendations for helmet rear light wanted

Hi all,
    I'm looking for small red flasher for my new helmet. For several years I've been using Proway PWL-600 which is excellent light for that purpose (small, waterproof, reflective, easily removable), but it's a bit weak by modern standards.

Currently I've found such candidates as Cateye Nima2, Topeak Tail Lux, and Serfas TL-HLMT (the latter is too ugly to my taste, though):
    SL-LD135-F | CATEYE
    TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Tail Lux
    https://www.serfas.com/products/view/822/

Also, there's cheap Chinese option like this one:
    Bike Bicycle Cycling Rear Tail Helmet Light Lamp Safety Warning Super Bright | eBay

The intended use - "backup" light for cases like main rear light failure, unexpected stops on the night road when I need to walk away from the bike, etc. Requirements are watertightness and decent brightness. Preferable mounting method - plastic holder glued to the helmet by adhesive tape.

I'll be grateful for your opinions, and especially interested in 'first-hand' experience with these (or any similar) lights.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31i8nXF0fxL.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for small red flasher for my new helmet. For several years I've been using Proway PWL-600 which is excellent light for that purpose (small, waterproof, reflective, easily removable), but it's a bit weak by modern standards.

Currently I've found such candidates as Cateye Nima2, Topeak Tail Lux, and Serfas TL-HLMT (the latter is too ugly to my taste, though):
    SL-LD135-F | CATEYE
    TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Tail Lux
    https://www.serfas.com/products/view/822/

Also, there's cheap Chinese option like this one:
    Bike Bicycle Cycling Rear Tail Helmet Light Lamp Safety Warning Super Bright | eBay

The intended use - "backup" light for cases like main rear light failure, unexpected stops on the night road when I need to walk away from the bike, etc. Requirements are watertightness and decent brightness. Preferable mounting method - plastic holder glued to the helmet by adhesive tape.

I'll be grateful for your opinions, and especially interested in 'first-hand' experience with these (or any similar) lights.

Thanks in advance!
    this is what we all use Amazon.com : Infini Red Amuse Tail Light (Red, 10.5g) : Bike Lighting Parts And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    I built 2 versions of this for road riding. Uses my regular battery packs.

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do...ht-816294.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks, but I'm looking for small and light self-contained device powered by one or two LIR2032 (or CR2032) cells, not powerful thrower with external battery...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Meanwhile, I've found little Bontrager Ember Multi-Purpose Black Rear light (part# 430874) in my LBS: Light Sets - | Bontrager

Will serve as a temporary solution until/if I'll find something other. I'm surprised by its relatively high brightness (steady current is just 30 mA) and excellent build quality: there's 3 rubber seals/O-rings, including one protecting red transparent "button" acting as an output lens, so the light seems to be waterproof. Silicone band is removable, and can be replaced by zip tie for sturdy mounting.

mtbr member
    This looks pretty good- daylight visible and looks pretty compact.
    Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - LED Lights - Micro Drive (Rear)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Can't imagine this thing mounted on my helmet...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    Low-power micro lights are great for running so the douche behind you that's mentally absorbed in his Maroon 5 playlist doesn't step on your heels.

I suggest going a bit bigger for road cycling. 2w gets you into decent illumination that is hard to miss for a helmet light. I employ a Niterider Solas for this task currently, and it is doing a fantastic job according to the local cops. Side visibility is very good.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    On road, I use 3W MagicShine light + 0.5W Trek as a backup/group, so definitely don't want anything huge & powerful on my helmet. As I've said in OP, its purpose will be just occasional use when I'm off the bike etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bigflamingtaco View Post
    I suggest going a bit bigger for road cycling. 2w gets you into decent illumination that is hard to miss for a helmet light. I employ a Niterider Solas for this task currently, and it is doing a fantastic job according to the local cops. Side visibility is very good.
    How did you mount that on the helmet? How do you mount any of these light on the helmet? I suppose you could use some velcro straps so that you could easily remove the lights.

Archie you got me thinking about getting a rear light for the helmet for the reasons you mentioned. I'm interested in what you come up with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    varider, as for now, I'll keep the Bontrager mentioned above. I've removed its rubber strap, and mounted it on the helmet with Velcro sticky tape. Can post the photo if anyone interested.

Now I'd like to know whether this light can handle 2032 rechargeables: they could increase the brightness, but I know for sure cheap Chinese dual-2032 flashers can't survive higher voltage.

Anyone have experience asking Bontrager's customer support for technical questions, BTW?

mtbr member
    Can't imagine this thing mounted on my helmet...
    Why not? Maybe it'll stick in a rear vent, or on top of your lid. We all have headlamps bigger than that on our helmets...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sure I have helmet torch, too: putting in addition the Lezine on top would be at least unaesthetic. As for the venting holes - I certainly don't want to have metal "bullet" in my head in case of crash...

mtbr member
    Sure I have helmet torch, too: putting in addition the Lezine on top would be at least unaesthetic. As for the venting holes - I certainly don't want to have metal "bullet" in my head in case of crash...
    That's exactly what I'm thinking of when I see lights mounted in the rear vents. A bullet straight to the brain in a crash. I have been in a bad crash where the whole side on my helmet was destroyed and I don't need a light crammed in the vent hole like that.