Recommendations - Cheap bike light on Amazon < $50- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Recommendations - Cheap bike light on Amazon < $50

I'm looking for a cheap bike light that can pull double duty as a flash light if necessary. I have a couple of unused amazon gift cards, so would like to use them if possible. My budget is good up to $50, but cheaper the better because it probably will only be used a few times a year.

Ideally, I would like to have a light strong enough for slow trail riding (I hear you need 500+ lumens). There's a couple of wooded trails near my house that are relatively slow (7-8 mph average) with no real elevation change or technical areas.

I would love to hear some recommendations. I'm open to anything as long as it meets the above criteria (or can come close).

I saw this light on amazon. Looks like it has good reviews, but not sure if its any good or if it even meets the lumen rating. I see multiple lights with the same exact design, with some touting 2000 lumens while others list 4-500.

OxyLED® Cree 500 Lumen Bright LED Flashlight Torch, Light Lamp for Emergency / Safety / Security (Adjustable Zoomable Focus, 3 Brightness Levels plus Strobe, Battery Included) - Black - - Amazon.com

mtbr member
    Don't think you want a single 16850 battery light for night riding, I have this, works great, might want to upgrade the battery though....

Quote Originally Posted by jettabrett92 View Post
    I'm looking for a cheap bike light that can pull double duty as a flash light if necessary. I have a couple of unused amazon gift cards, so would like to use them if possible. My budget is good up to $50, but cheaper the better because it probably will only be used a few times a year.

Ideally, I would like to have a light strong enough for slow trail riding (I hear you need 500+ lumens). There's a couple of wooded trails near my house that are relatively slow (7-8 mph average) with no real elevation change or technical areas.

I would love to hear some recommendations. I'm open to anything as long as it meets the above criteria (or can come close).

I saw this light on amazon. Looks like it has good reviews, but not sure if its any good or if it even meets the lumen rating. I see multiple lights with the same exact design, with some touting 2000 lumens while others list 4-500.

Emergency-Security-Adjustable-Brightness/dp/B00JE329YO]OxyLED® Cree 500 Lumen Bright LED Flashlight Torch, Light Lamp for Emergency / Safety / Security (Adjustable Zoomable Focus, 3 Brightness Levels plus Strobe, Battery Included) - Black - - Amazon.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The no name stuff on Amazon is hard to judge.

You could get this Cygolite in your budget, it's 400 lumens (for real). I've been using a Cygolite Metro for commuting for a couple of years and I've taken it on the trail a few times and it's been dead reliable for me.

Cygolite Metro 400

They have brighter versions if you feel so inclined to up your budget.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Don't think you want a single 16850 battery light for night riding
    You mean just because of runtime? If so, the trails I would be riding would wrap up in under an hour. I also like the idea of being able to swap AAAs into a light if necessary.

With all that said, that light you posted seems awesome. I'm guessing 3800 lumens is way off, but do you think it's at least a thousand lumens? That's probably the highest lumen-to-price light I've seen.

mtbr member
    1 hour trail ride? The flashlight should work.

The light I linked to rivals my Gloworm X2 for brightness and it prob would suffice a 1hr ride.

I added THIS BATTERY as I usually ride 2-3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by jettabrett92 View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies.
    You mean just because of runtime? If so, the trails I would be riding would wrap up in under an hour. I also like the idea of being able to swap AAAs into a light if necessary.

With all that said, that light you posted seems awesome. I'm guessing 3800 lumens is way off, but do you think it's at least a thousand lumens? That's probably the highest lumen-to-price light I've seen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Jetta, here are a few more bike/head lights fulfilled by Amazon that fall within your budget. Can't personally vouch for any of them but the particular vendor is ePathDirect; I bought a TrustFire battery pack through them last year, also fulfilled by Amazon, which turned out to be the genuine article as pictured and of surprisingly high quality (though I wouldn't trust the Lumens/mAh claimed for any lamp or battery pack.) Importantly, these following all feature the most recent generation Cree XM-L2 emitters which are 17-20% more efficient and generally have better color than earlier XML versions in the candidates mentioned here thus far.

Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 4 Modes Waterproof LED Bicycle Light Special Disign Long or Short Range Lighting Modes Super Bright Lighting Lamp Bicycle Headlight LED Headlamp Flashlight Torch with 8.4 V 8800mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack & Charger (Black)

Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 3600 Lumens 3X L2 LED Bicycle Light 4 Modes LED Bike Light Super Bright LED Lighting Lamp Bike Headlight with 8.4V 4400mAh Battery Pack & Charger for Camping, Hiking, Cycling, etc : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 3 Modes Waterproof 2400LM 3X XM-L2 LED Bicycle Light Mini LED Headlamp Headlight LED Bike Light Charging Lamp Super Bright Lighting Lamp with 4.2V 8000mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack & Charger : Sports & Outdoors

This last supposedly runs on 4.2V rather than 8.4V but that might be an error, the battery pack looks like the standard 4-cell which would most likely be 8.4V but what do I know. Hopefully some more informed souls here can chime in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I use standard flashlights for MTBing. I have 3 of these:

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...et-939712.html

Have tried it as a helmet light. It should work well for the bar as well. Very floody beam.

The Fenix is a great bar mount for using flashlights, $14.19 from Banggood:

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...nt-935086.html

mtbr member
    The first one is rated highly elsewhere on this site, the 3rd one is similar to what I posted.

I have the 2 LED version of the middle one and it's crap.

Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    Jetta, here are a few more bike/head lights fulfilled by Amazon that fall within your budget. Can't personally vouch for any of them but the particular vendor is ePathDirect; I bought a TrustFire battery pack through them last year, also fulfilled by Amazon, which turned out to be the genuine article as pictured and of surprisingly high quality (though I wouldn't trust the Lumens/mAh claimed for any lamp or battery pack.) Importantly, these following all feature the most recent generation Cree XM-L2 emitters which are 17-20% more efficient and generally have better color than earlier XML versions in the candidates mentioned here thus far.

Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 4 Modes Waterproof LED Bicycle Light Special Disign Long or Short Range Lighting Modes Super Bright Lighting Lamp Bicycle Headlight LED Headlamp Flashlight Torch with 8.4 V 8800mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack & Charger (Black)

Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 3600 Lumens 3X L2 LED Bicycle Light 4 Modes LED Bike Light Super Bright LED Lighting Lamp Bike Headlight with 8.4V 4400mAh Battery Pack & Charger for Camping, Hiking, Cycling, etc : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 3 Modes Waterproof 2400LM 3X XM-L2 LED Bicycle Light Mini LED Headlamp Headlight LED Bike Light Charging Lamp Super Bright Lighting Lamp with 4.2V 8000mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack & Charger : Sports & Outdoors

This last supposedly runs on 4.2V rather than 8.4V but that might be an error, the battery pack looks like the standard 4-cell which would most likely be 8.4V but what do I know. Hopefully some more informed souls here can chime in.

mtbr member
    I'd suggest sticking with a single cell flashlight. Many with a good battery can run close to an hour on high with much more than an hour on medium. Best bang for the buck right out of the package will be a Convoy 2.8A M1 or M2. Plenty of posts on these over at Home | BudgetLightForum.com . Not available on Amazon though. Mountain Electronics in the US has some in stock and sells quality batteries and chargers.

-Garry