recommend a helmet mounted light...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,191

    recommend a helmet mounted light...

    To go with my Trinewt or my old Blowtorch. I kind of like the H-bar mounted lights, but a point & shoot light with the Bar mount would be nice too. I guess I'd prefer NR, just because I've had a bunch and they've been pretty reliable.

  2. #2
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,864
    Magicshine...duh.

  3. #3
    nocturnal oblivion
    Reputation: stumblemumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,329
    Magicshine...duhh x 2

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,191

    which one

    I am late to the Magicshine frenzy, which one to order from Geoman? Either for use in combo with TriNewt or by itself?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    Put the Trinewt on ebay and use the proceeds to buy two magicshines. When its battery eventually dies on you are are looking at spending as much to replace it as you would on a whole new MS XXXX system.
    Put the MS 900 on the helmet and the MS 1400 on the bars. Two MS 900 would be good as well but the MS1400 is superior for fill straight out of the box.
    A small section of Scotch/Packing tape on the lense cover of a MS 900 would make it a bit floodier for bar use.

  6. #6
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Thanks odteaxas, out of the box the 2300 combo works nicely, we also added the 900 Plus lightset and the 2300 Plus Combo last night so both batteries are identical (1400 battery sealed in cannister). The 900 Plus included in the combo takes the most water resistant components of both lightsets and puts them in a single package.

    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Put the Trinewt on ebay and use the proceeds to buy two magicshines. When its battery eventually dies on you are are looking at spending as much to replace it as you would on a whole new MS XXXX system.
    Put the MS 900 on the helmet and the MS 1400 on the bars. Two MS 900 would be good as well but the MS1400 is superior for fill straight out of the box.
    A small section of Scotch/Packing tape on the lense cover of a MS 900 would make it a bit floodier for bar use.
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 05-08-2010 at 08:43 AM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    46
    The 900 Plus light set seems like a good idea, as the old battery's susceptibility to water seemed to be a big problem, however how water tight is the new battery's casing? I would like to see some first hand experience from MJ 1400 owners that have ridden in heavy downpours or even submerged the new MJ1400 battery pack. While I have already used Plastidip on my old battery pack, I understand that there are people that would be hesitant to do so to their batteries for various reasons. If the new MJ 1400 battery case were sold separately it would allow people to upgrade without modifying their battery, or potentially voiding any warranties. Finally I would like to know if the new MJ 1400 allows for a battery to be stored in a water bottle cage.

  8. #8
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Hey Chris, we sell the 1400 battery (Series II) separately for 900 owners that want to upgrade or just add a wet weather battery to their equipment, it mounts nicely in a bottle cage, can be stem or seatpost mounted as well. We've had great feedback so far on the improved water resistance and durability of this pack.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris RX-7
    The 900 Plus light set seems like a good idea, as the old battery's susceptibility to water seemed to be a big problem, however how water tight is the new battery's casing? I would like to see some first hand experience from MJ 1400 owners that have ridden in heavy downpours or even submerged the new MJ1400 battery pack. While I have already used Plastidip on my old battery pack, I understand that there are people that would be hesitant to do so to their batteries for various reasons. If the new MJ 1400 battery case were sold separately it would allow people to upgrade without modifying their battery, or potentially voiding any warranties. Finally I would like to know if the new MJ 1400 allows for a battery to be stored in a water bottle cage.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,077

    Magicshine backyard test=WOW!!

    I got my Magicshines Friday. Ordered them late Tuesday night.(2300 combo pack) I just decided before going to bed to step out back, and give them a little shine around.

    Holy cow!! These are really impressive. Forget calling these "entry level". These are better than my Niterider Storm HID. No kidding.

    The single helmet lamp puts out a really bright, white light, with a big round bright area, and a lot of side flood. Not the narrow spot I expected, but instead a far reaching and yet nicely broad beam of light.

    Now to the handlebar light. With just the 2 side lights on, it puts out a rectangular shaped, very broad beam of light that mostly goes side to side, rather than out. Then you turn on the middle light as well, and you get light that goes from right at your feet, all the way out to way down the trail. Excellent.

    But the best part is something I did not realize I was missing with my helmet mounted HID light. DEFINITION!!! My back yard is deep pea gravel that the dogs run around in, so it is full of little dips and valleys in the gravel. With just the helmet lamp on, you can see great, but it looks very flat. But when you turn on the handlebar light, and hold it at bar level, it is just amazing what it does. Every little bump, and dip in the pea gravel stood out with excellent clarity. Amazing!! I never had a bar mount light before, and did not even know I was missing this depth. I can't wait to get these on the trail.

    If you buy a Magicshine, do yourself a favor and get the combo with the bar light. It really improves things by leaps and bounds. I always thought that with one light, the helmet mount was the way to go, so you can see no matter how the bars point, but you are only getting half the picture without the bar light. Fortunately at this price, there is no reason to not have both.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,191

    follow up

    So, the 900 looks like a good light to go with the TriNewt. For Helmet. I see some chatter about water resistant batteries. Is the "II" battery water resistant? Is the Racer's package the same at the Magicshine GMG Special 900 PLUS Lumen Lightset, only it comes with 2 batteries? How long do they last? Is there a low battery indicator? Thansk.

  11. #11
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Hi Jimmy, we've had excellent feedback on the improved water resistance of the Series II batteries. They are a bit heavier and bulkier but a good tradeoff if you encounter any wet weather when using the lights (still only 320grams without the neoprene cover when put in camelback or jersey pocket).

    The 900 Plus Racer's Pack includes the complete 900 Plus lightset in addition you get 1 extra Series II battery plus a helmet mount. The low battery indicator is on the 900 lighthead no change there, the battery inside the Series II cannister is identical to the Series I battery so burntime on high is still 180 mins

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    So, the 900 looks like a good light to go with the TriNewt. For Helmet. I see some chatter about water resistant batteries. Is the "II" battery water resistant? Is the Racer's package the same at the Magicshine GMG Special 900 PLUS Lumen Lightset, only it comes with 2 batteries? How long do they last? Is there a low battery indicator? Thansk.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    23
    can u post some pics of the output?? i went for a night ride for the first time and am HOOKED lol, just gotta get a real light (last min walmart light......not good idea hahah)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,077
    Quote Originally Posted by freerideslowpoke
    can u post some pics of the output?? i went for a night ride for the first time and am HOOKED lol, just gotta get a real light (last min walmart light......not good idea hahah)
    Here are a couple beam shot links.

    http://www.ryan-cobourn.com/dirtdawg-light-test/

    http://fonarevka.lux-rc.com/

    In the second link, go to the lower right corner and click on "Road Dry", then find the Magicshine light in the bar to the right.

    Keep in mind that all these beam shots are the single head version. The 1400 bar mount has a super wide light spread right in front of the bike. Put that together with the 900 and you have a serious night weapon.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,787
    http://www.hidtechnologies.com.au

    The Lumen8r Pygmy is awesome.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    http://www.hidtechnologies.com.au

    The Lumen8r Pygmy is awesome.

    Yeah, and only 4 times as much as a MS -900.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MISTER FUNKTASTIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    26
    I just found out about Magicshine.

    I was going to purchase the Seca 700 race, but the pics of the Magicshine
    900 lumens light is amazing.

    How is the quality and warranty compared to the brand names?
    MISTER FUNKTASTIC

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,077
    Quote Originally Posted by MISTER FUNKTASTIC
    I just found out about Magicshine.

    I was going to purchase the Seca 700 race, but the pics of the Magicshine
    900 lumens light is amazing.

    How is the quality and warranty compared to the brand names?
    I was surprised by the quality of mine when I got them. I actually like the connectors much better than my Niterider connectors which you have to turn just the right way to connect. I also like the way the helmet light is easy to adjust up and down, compared to my Niterider.

    From previous research, it seems that the Magicshine's have made some improvements due to feedback, and they have corrected past issues rather quickly.

    Geoman seems to respond quickly and fairly from what I have read in past posts, so I would not be hesitant to buy them.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.