Rechargeable battery calendar lifetime- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rechargeable battery calendar lifetime

I have a Cygolite Metro 300-ish, bought about five years ago for commuting. I basically only use it in the winter and then about 3x a week (one leg usually in daylight). I'm wondering how much longer I can expect it to last. I can tell a lot of people in this subforum are much heavier users of much more powerful lights and not sure if they keep using stuff once it's old or if its performance tapers off.

I'm thinking of moving it to my helmet for a spot light and putting a floodlight on the handlebars, and debating whether to do that, or just spend twice as much for two new lights.

Rechargeable batteries can have amazing lifetimes or crap out quickly. I'm not sure if this duty cycle is abusive, but I've never put it away totally dead for long. I don't own anything really old that's lithium. My last laptop crapped out after about five years. I had a Ryobi 40v hedge trimmer that didn't survive one winter of storage, and the recent iPhone battery debacle has me curious what to expect from my Ryobi drill batteries. OTOH I have some Ryobi nicads still going after something like 15 years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It might be powered by single 18650 cell. If not left fully charged or discharged it can well live 10 years or more for your type of usage. Also it might be easy replaceable if you can open the light.

mtbr member
    I read somewhere that LiIon batteries should be stored "mostly" charged, more than 50% and less than 100%. You also get the most total use life if recharging before 50% and just before use so it's not sitting around at 100%.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Half correct. Best is 40% charged. See: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...tore_batteries
    and how to use them to extend lifetime
    https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries

mtbr member
    There is obviously no percent-o-meter on this thing

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    One thing is what is best and the other what is practical. For usage in bicycle lights which is relatively seldom you don't have to worry much about all that stuff as long you can replace cells or buy another pack. It is good to take care and don't leave either empty or fully charged for longer periods of time. Everything in between is good enough. 50 full charges per year should give you 10 years of moderate usage and still retain about 50% of capacity.
    Of course I'm talking about good brand Li-Ion cells.

mtbr member
    I saw something in another thread about Cygolite using a proprietary battery pack for their tail lights but I also found a teardown video of a more powerful version of this headlight and it does appear to use an 18650, so yay, at least that part is easy