Question about using Y-connector to link Magicshine taillight with headlight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Question about using Y-connector to link Magicshine taillight with headlight

I have a MS headlight that I got a few years ago. I can't find the model number, but it is rated at 900 lumens. The batter is the updated model that was sent to me due to a recall of the older battery pack. As far as I can tell, all wire connections are round.

Now my question is can I buy a MS taillight kit (without battery pack) with the Y-connector and use it with my existing MS headlight and battery? I'm a bit confused about the Y-connector and the model numbers that sellers say it is compatible with.

My other option is to get the Cygolite Hotshot 2W taillight, which costs about the same as the MS taillight without battery pack. Which is the better buy? I want something I can run during the day and be SEEN and have the option of running in steady mode without a meltdown.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    I have a MS headlight that I got a few years ago. I can't find the model number, but it is rated at 900 lumens. The batter is the updated model that was sent to me due to a recall of the older battery pack. As far as I can tell, all wire connections are round.

Now my question is can I buy a MS taillight kit (without battery pack) with the Y-connector and use it with my existing MS headlight and battery? I'm a bit confused about the Y-connector and the model numbers that sellers say it is compatible with.

My other option is to get the Cygolite Hotshot 2W taillight, which costs about the same as the MS taillight without battery pack. Which is the better buy? I want something I can run during the day and be SEEN and have the option of running in steady mode without a meltdown.
    What you're looking for is the MJ-6018 Y cable. Jim has it listed here
    Y Cable
    He also has the MJ-6068 which is used with the elliptical connectors of MJ-880s.

Lindsay from BrightstoneSports has both as well.
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 09-16-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Action has it.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Speaking of Brightstonesports, I just a got a reply from Lindsay regarding an MS taillight unit with the 828 battery pack. She said this tallight has a REMOTE ON/OFF switch? Can anyone confirm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    Speaking of Brightstonesports, I just a got a reply from Lindsay regarding an MS taillight unit with the 828 battery pack. She said this tallight has a REMOTE ON/OFF switch? Can anyone confirm?
    Probably a typo or miscommunication. The MJ-818 is magnetic ring switch controlled. You move through the modes by turning the ring clockwise or anti-clockwise. Don't see how a remote can control that.

Will go away now. Supposed to speak about Xeccon not MS...
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

Action LED Lights
    There is nothing going on with the Magicshine tail light that I have heard of. But I will be seeing the folks from Magicshine at Interbike on Wednesday and will post any news I get about new product.
    As far as the MJ-818 goes, I got a good deal on the last order of them and pasted that along in the price on our site.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Members who have read this thread: 0