Programmable flashlight on kickstarter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Programmable flashlight on kickstarter

I just saw a news article on this project running on kick starter. Its a compact flashlight that can be programmed and charged by USB. 500 lumens Cree xm-l for $60.

Here is the link: http://kck.st/jmYged

Seems like a cool project. I made a pledge for one

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritOnTour View Post
    I just saw a news article on this project running on kick starter. Its a compact flashlight that can be programmed and charged by USB. 500 lumens Cree xm-l for $60.

Here is the link: http://kck.st/jmYged

Seems like a cool project. I made a pledge for one
    I took a look at this idea and was impressed. I then sent a flurry of questions to one of their e-mail sites. While they did answer my e-mail very promptly they only answered one of my questions/comments that had to do with selling the product in general. I suggested they use a normal website with a PayPal link. Anyway, I was told that by November they expect to have a dedicated web site. I also suggested having a choice of maximum output ( their current max is 1600ma I believe ). I'd like to see something over 2000ma. I also suggested a choice of different reflectors to dial in the beam pattern.

My comments will likely be ignored but what the hey. Doesn't hurt to try. Still, should be a nice product and even if the max output is 500 lumen, you should be able to ride almost two hours on one cell at that level. 500 lumen is nothing to sneeze at but more is always better. BritOnTour, thanks for the info.

And to the people who thought about buying a torch for back up but didn't want a cheap Chinese made product, this just might be what you are looking for. Custom, made in USA, etc, etc... If I didn't already own a ton of other stuff I would likely be on this like a cat on a freshly washed car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I pledged for 2 for exactly that reason, backup lights. Also Looking at the specs I suspect the 500 lumens may actually be real and so these are going to be nearly as bright as many magicshines. Coupled with taking a normal 18650 so you can cary spare batteries these may also be useful for caving and or keeping in the car on a USB charger so always ready

mtbr member

The "flex" refers to a taskled Lflex driver ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post

The "flex" refers to a taskled Lflex driver ?
    No, I think they are building their own drivers ( not really sure about that though ). I think the "flex" refers to it's ability to being "flexible" as the user can program the mode set-up via a mini-USB port.. Just what limitations there are with this set-up was one of the questions I asked that wasn't answered. If they do these right and get the right bins, the right reflectors and right max. output, these will be some mighty fine torches.

mtbr member
    what a neat way of doing things. If I had $60 lying around I'd go for the Flex, just so I could have a simple Low>High torch - most torches seem to be either on>off or an excessive no. of modes that I don't want.

Now I just have to go looking for $60 lying around