Point to point 24 hour light setup suggestions needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Point to point 24 hour light setup suggestions needed

Looking for suggestions on a light set up for point to point 24 hourish racing. May be able to have a few drop bags with extra batteries. For lights I was thinking a flood on the bars and a beam on the helmet. There are so many light options out there I am just left confused. I did a search and only found threads on 24 hour lap races where you could grab new batteries or lights each lap.

Was hoping to get a conversation started on light choices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Light freak
    Amoeba! Conversation done.

Just kidding! I have been building custom bike lights for 10 years and the endurance thing is where they really shine (pun intended). Small size, light weight, customizable (LED tints, battery sizes, AA battery holder for emergency back-up) and made in the USA (Colorado) by a fellow cyclists that gets it. Shoot me an email to the address in my signature at the bottom of my post and I can give you some information on what I can do.

Where do you live? What race you doing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    Looking for suggestions on a light set up for point to point 24 hourish racing. May be able to have a few drop bags with extra batteries. For lights I was thinking a flood on the bars and a beam on the helmet. There are so many light options out there I am just left confused. I did a search and only found threads on 24 hour lap races where you could grab new batteries or lights each lap.

Was hoping to get a conversation started on light choices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Do you have a price range/budget in mind? How much time do you expect to be running the lights in the race? How much night riding experience you have would help too.
    Mole

mtbr member
    No budget but I am sponsored through a shop so name brand lights are deeply discounted.

Riding will be from when the sun goes down to when it comes back up. See attached.

Usually do a handful of night rides a year, so not much experience. Will be getting more experience through the summer when the trails dry up and light set is purchased.

The two races are both in Marquette MI:
    -crusher
    -marji out and back

We do have these lights but they all would need new batteries. These lights are old and probably just need to be replaced.

Evolution Training Cycles

Light freak
    Cool, I just built up some lights for a couple guys doing the Marji Gesik race. Sounds like funishment They claim 70% did not finish last years race

mtbr member

Almost any light system will work, the main issue is run time, what batteries to use and how to use them. Makes a big difference though in how the race is structured....laps with support stations or one long route with drop spots set up for support. Since this is a 24 hr. event I'm thinking more along the lines of riding laps. If riding laps there should be no need to carry lights and batteries until you get near dark. Ballparking I'm guessing you might need light for about 11 hrs.(?) If there are support stations than having extra batteries on hand should not be a problem. The main issue then is just knowing just how long you can ride using whatever battery and light system you chose to use. This means that whatever you chose to use you will need to do some dry runs just to be able to judge how long the batteries will last.

No matter what light system you chose I would chose to use lights that have a programmable feature. Being able to program the modes to the output you want will help you conserve battery power. Wouldn't hurt to have lights with remotes as well because if you get behind someone else and are following them for a while you might be able to drop your lights down to minimal output levels and let the other guy light the way.

Last but not least, it wouldn't hurt to mount a back-up 18650 torch ( with XM-L2 emitter ) on the bars with the best batteries. In a pinch a torch with a good battery and a good medium mode ( 200-300 lumen ) will run 3 hrs on just the one cell. Worth it's weight in gold if your main lamp happens to go out for some reason.

mtbr member
    No budget but I am sponsored through a shop so name brand lights are deeply discounted.

Evolution Training Cycles
    Deeply discounted brand name lights may still be more expensive than more typical internet brands that may be better suited to your needs. If you decide to go with the typical L&M or NR lights sold in shops my best advice is to see if you can demo different ones on your training rides to see what works best for you and the area you ride in. Besides price one of the main things better internet lights offer over name brands is flexibility to fine tune like the programmable preset levels that Cat mentioned along with changeable optics for beam manipulation, more universally compatible power cable connectors so batteries are interchangeable and much less expensive than the propriatary name brand ones. The desert trails I ride limit the value of my personal light preferences other than geneeral advice like keeping the light system weight as low as possible since it will be with you for the entire distance of the ride. Good Luck!!!
    Mole

mtbr member
    The Outbound Lights (particularly the downhill package) are extremely well suited for endurance races since the beam pattern doesn't contribute to fatigue as much as a typical spot optic does. When you are riding at night without a continuous wall of light, or the typical hotspots, your eyes are constantly readjusting from light to dark and it's part of why night riding (and driving) can be very mentally fatiguing without a good beam pattern.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/pro...bike-lighting/

Also can run both the lights on medium or low and have almost an entire nights worth of riding without having to swap out lights or batteries frequently, and if you do swap batteries it's just 30 seconds tops to unplug, swap, and reinstall on the frame, easy peasy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ^^^This.
    I run an Outbound MTB lamp for 24h to multiday races. I routinely get 10+ hours of use with a 6.2Ah battery on the low setting, and around 5+ hours with a 2.9Ah battery (I don't know the exact limit as I either switch them out before they die, or I run into daylight and turn off the lamp). The beam pattern and light output of the Outbound lamps on low are excellent, IMO; more than sufficient for the majority of trails I've ridden and raced at night. The occasional switch to medium output covers the more-technical trail sections I've encountered.