Please help me pick a light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Please help me pick a light

Trying to decide between these:

Light & Motion Taz 1200

Lezyne LED Mega Drive

CygoLite Trion 1300

Looking for something that wont dim after a couple of minutes, up-to-date bulbs/tech, long lasting battery, and a great beam pattern. I ride single track with lots or roots and rocks, fast downhills, twists and turns through the heavy woods. I was thinking the Mega Drive because you can swap out the batteries if need be.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    At least two of these lights are in the main MTBR light review. I would check that out first. Not being able to swap batteries would bother me if I was deep in the woods. Maybe that's just me. It really depends on how long your rides are. I wouldn't cut it too close to the time limit.

A far a picking between those three lights I have no idea, I have no personal experience with any of them.

For these all-in-ones I would take into account these factors that can make or break a light.

1) The quality of clamp is a huge deal. These lights are heavier and need a very secure clamp so they don't move too much. Also some of them have a nasty habit of popping off on the big hits. I would read all the amazon reviews, plus the threads here
    2) optics. Are you getting the beam shape (narrow, flood) that you want. Can you switch it?
    3) Battery replacement. Do these the manufacturers offer a battery replacement program? Your going to lose a certain amount of time in 2 or 3 years, and then you might not have enough to finish the ride.
    4) charge time. How long does it take to charge the light?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by polecats03 View Post
    Trying to decide between these:

Light & Motion Taz 1200

Lezyne LED Mega Drive

CygoLite Trion 1300

Looking for something that wont dim after a couple of minutes, up-to-date bulbs/tech, long lasting battery, and a great beam pattern. I ride single track with lots or roots and rocks, fast downhills, twists and turns through the heavy woods. I was thinking the Mega Drive because you can swap out the batteries if need be.

Thanks in advance!
    All quality lights. I got the Taz 1200 for my daughter for her university bike - it's an awesome light and the beam pattern is excellent. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that the battery is captive in the light, you can't swap batteries. The Lezyne has that advantage over it and would be my choice if I had to ride more than the capacity of the Taz battery. Otherwise, I like the Taz mount better but if you don't have to be removing it (as in a commuter application) then it's not a big deal. For trail riding, I'd probably go with the Lezyne just because you can bring an extra battery if one is drained or fails.

All of these lights are LED and all of them are regulated so you won't get any dimming at the battery is drained until it's almost empty. All are top quality reputable manufacturers.

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have the Taz 1200. The mount system is great, light output and beam pattern too. I really wanted to like it since I won it at a 24h solo race. But the inability to swap out batteries, and the fact that I can't charge it while it is on makes the usability very slim for me. I brought it on my first truly long road ride (420km..), I had thought I would run it on low but low was too little light most of the time so I ended up depleting the battery late at night and when I wanted to try and supply some power from my power bank while using it, I learned the light needs to be off in order to accept power. It is great for commuting and may work for a very short trail ride, but if you really ride trails I would look for an external-battery setup. No experience with the other two you listed.