Picking lights- Mtbr.com

Thread: Picking lights

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Picking lights

Any one using "Fenix BC35R Rechargeable Bike Light 1800 lumens"? I'm thorn between buying it or the the NiteRider lumina 1200 Boost with NiteRider Lumina Micro 850 mounted on my helmet. Opinions welcome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.1067 View Post
    Any one using "Fenix BC35R Rechargeable Bike Light 1800 lumens"? I'm thorn between buying it or the the NiteRider lumina 1200 Boost with NiteRider Lumina Micro 850 mounted on my helmet. Opinions welcome
    Any information on how you plan on using your lights would help (road/trail/both, required length of light usage in minutes, handlebar diameter), the more descriptive the better.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Primarily I will be using the lights on single track trails for probably 2 hours time frame.

mtbr member
    Primarily I will be using the lights on single track trails for probably 2 hours time frame.
    First, I think most on this fourm would consider a bar/helmet combo a must (built in backup in case of a light failure + it just works better). Next 2 hr. runtimes are a pretty tough point for self-contained bike lights unless your willing to run lower output settings which is OK on higher powered dual cell models most of which are too heavy for helmet use IMO. I dug up the output graph for the Niteriders below and took the chart for the Fenix from their site to help illustrate the runtime issue on the lights your looking at.

***Click on images to expand***

Picking lights-screenshot_2019-11-24-we-test-lights-technical-comparison-.jpg

Picking lights-bc35r-14__47075.1536254467.jpg

As you can see none of those lights will give you 2 hrs.of usable runtime in their hi mode. With the Fenix the 1800 level is only usable for short bursts which is why they show the hi mode (next level down the output is too low for trail use). Also being a cutoff beam light the beam pattern is not ideal for trail use and absolutely must be used with a helmet light for safety. The Niterider lights can be run in lower modes which will give them more stable output levels. The 850 though would be pretty minimal output for trail use run that way. The 1200 has a 1000 lumen mode but will only run 1.5 hrs. at that level so you'd still be forced to use the next level down (550 lumens) at least part of the time to last the required 2 hrs.

If your interested in looking at other lights you probably should give us an idea what kind of budget you have to work with and if you'd consider lighthead + battery combos (better option for your needs IMO).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Wow, thank you very much for the response. My budget realistically is about $150.

mtbr member
    Wow, thank you very much for the response. My budget realistically is about $150.
    This setup will be a few dollars over $150 and you'll have to wait till Black Friday to get the Gloworm but will give you 2000+ (measured not claimed) lumens combined with both lights having very stable output and good beam patterns. Also both very reliable brands.

Ravemen PR900 for the bars. 800+ lumens, dual beam (spot/flood-cutoff), 2.5 hour runtime @ max setting, wired remote, Self-contained, wired remote switch, can be used as a power bank to recharge phone/Garmin. $56.21 w/free shipping in US.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142796062545

Gloworm Alpha (standard tint) for the helmet. 1200+ lumens, tight spot with standard spot/spot optic (spot/wide optic also included if you want a wider beam), very good throw, 2 hr. runtime @ 100 power (preset levels are easily programmable), all mounts included (bar and helmet). $139.95 less 25% for Black Friday sale + free shipping in US. Use Code: FRIDAY25

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...men-bike-light.

Setup layout (different battery but same size)
    Picking lights-002-4-.jpg

I own both of these lights so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
    Mole

mtbr member
    ^Solid advice imo.
    ActionLed is running their BlackFriday %25 off Gloworm starting today.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thank you for the reply, I have some thinking to do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Sofirn SD05 delivers 1000 lumen for 3 Hours with an 21700 5000mah battery equiped.
    with an 3000mah 18650 battery you will end with ~2 Hours what you need with alot of light!

Fenix BC35R have a street beam shape so nothing for trails.

NiteRider 1200 850 deliver de half/ 1/3 of the light amount that the SD05 can do at the same weight with ~160 gramms.

the other differenz , niterider stuff becomes dimmer and dimmer over time, the SD05 will not do that!!

and bulky lights with external battery packs not needet if you buy an energy effizent light like the SD05.

SD05 cost 20$ in a bundle with charger and battery ~30$ if you not have at home li-ion batterys from other gadgets.

i mod my SD05 to warmer light color temperatur.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picking lights-sd05.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    This setup will be a few dollars over $150 and you'll have to wait till Black Friday to get the Gloworm but will give you 2000+ (measured not claimed) lumens combined with both lights having very stable output and good beam patterns. Also both very reliable brands.

Ravemen PR900 for the bars. 800+ lumens, dual beam (spot/flood-cutoff), 2.5 hour runtime @ max setting, wired remote, Self-contained, wired remote switch, can be used as a power bank to recharge phone/Garmin. $56.21 w/free shipping in US.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142796062545

Gloworm Alpha (standard tint) for the helmet. 1200+ lumens, tight spot with standard spot/spot optic (spot/wide optic also included if you want a wider beam), very good throw, 2 hr. runtime @ 100 power (preset levels are easily programmable), all mounts included (bar and helmet). $139.95 less 25% for Black Friday sale + free shipping in US. Use Code: FRIDAY25

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...men-bike-light.

Setup layout (different battery but same size)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002 (4).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	1294725

I own both of these lights so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
    Mole
    Tempting! Would you stick with daylight vs. NW tint on the glowworm to try to match the PR better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Tempting! Would you stick with daylight vs. NW tint on the glowworm to try to match the PR better?
    Exactly, daylight is a much better tint match for any of the Ravemen lights I've tried.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have both of the lights Mole mentioned for sale.
    I can save you some money.
    The Gloworm has NW emitters but can be sent to Jim at Action for a swap to change to CW.
    Honestly I donít feel the beam colors are horrible the way the are but the CW would certainly match better.
    Send me a pm if interested in either or both.
    Both in brand new condition with very little use.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I use a bc30r and it is the best light I can think of

forget turbo mode... useless

I use one step down from high, which gives 3+ hours at a level which is perfect for nasty singletracking in combo with a light on my helmet

no headlamp, then I'd use high, and after 1.5 years with the fenix the cells degraded from 1hr54 minutes after full charge, to 1hr45 minutes on full charge. not too bad

it has the hours and minutes timer which is a billion times more useful than a stupid LED indicator green-yellow-red-dead idiot lights. with the hours minutes display being pretty close to accurate you get a much better idea of how much light left.

having a lumens pissing match regards lights, is fricking dumb. bc30r is plenty bright, I ride nasty chunk, I use a headlamp in combo with it for seeing around corners...and the best thing is the hours/mins display. I go way further out in the spooky woods using this than I ever dared with 'idiot indicator' lights, 'cuz all the guesswork is taken away, the light chipset runtime logic tells me exactly what it can determine from the cells and always adjusts...no matter what I can use limp mode and get 6 more hours out of the thing if I run it down...and with dark adjusted eyes that is still plenty to ride out with, just a bit slower than full hammer

to summarize get the bc35r >>is it badass because the hours minutes indicator<< and ease of use and attachment to bike (which I forgot to mention, that's also a huge plus)
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot