Philips saferide in U.S.?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Philips saferide in U.S.?

I want to buy one of the Philips Saferide headlights tested in the MTBR Light shootout this fall--it looks like just the ticket for my commute!

Philips SafeRide LED Bike Light – 2012 Mtbr Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

The review claims 400 lumens, but all I can find on line is one that claims 220. Is this the same light, or an older version?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    I want to buy one of the Philips Saferide headlights tested in the MTBR Light shootout this fall--it looks like just the ticket for my commute!

Philips SafeRide LED Bike Light 2012 Mtbr Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

The review claims 400 lumens, but all I can find on line is one that claims 220. Is this the same light, or an older version?
    QBP.com (your bike shop has an account with them) has these in stock right now. Black and Silver. They are under the "new Items" section so I'm assuming they are the newest version.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'll take a chance on it then...

Utility Cyclist
    Sep 2012

New question here. Anyone know whether a SafeRide v2 is forthcoming?

Unless I hallucinated/dreamed it (always a possibility), I saw at least one post somewhere discussing an upcoming v2 of the light. Allegedly, Philips took into account some of the engineering feedback given here, e.g., premature battery shutoff, difficulty getting the batts in and out, NiMH rather than Lith, etc.

Did anyone else see it, or anything similar? I don't want to go ahead and buy the current version if a better v2 is in the pipeline.

Sorry for posting a near-non-seq into this thread, but as a sub-5-responses member I couldn't post a basenote.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMacD View Post
    I don't want to go ahead and buy the current version if a better v2 is in the pipeline.
    Sorry I don't have any actual useful info on a "v2" release, but since you were looking for "improvements" to the SafeRide, I thought you might at least get a kick out of seeing how far one can be pushed over on the DIY forum. Philips.... are you listening? Here's the link: Philips Safe Ride Conversion

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    Sorry I don't have any actual useful info on a "v2" release, but since you were looking for "improvements" to the SafeRide, I thought you might at least get a kick out of seeing how far one can be pushed over on the DIY forum. Philips.... are you listening? Here's the link: Philips Safe Ride Conversion
    Thanks Peth, your mod is really impressive. It shows that there could be a market for a lamp like this in the future. The current version though doesn't look bright enough to justify the cost although I suppose that is a matter of personal opinion.

Utility Cyclist
    Sep 2012
    A very impressive mod indeed.

I wondered, reading, whether it would have gone easier had you chosen to cut and patch the bottom of the light instead of grinding down the stars.

mtbr member
    Hm i didn't see this thread. Sorry for starting a duplicate one.

Nice mod indeed. But if used in its stock configuration - would you still recommend this light ?

mtbr member
    A very impressive mod indeed.

I wondered, reading, whether it would have gone easier had you chosen to cut and patch the bottom of the light instead of grinding down the stars.
    Hard to say exactly. The housing itself is VERY soft cast aluminum. In my case it was easier to mill off the bottom of the LED boards because I already had a nice "jig" for holding the boards upside down. I'm not sure if I had started milling the housing, if there would have been anything left to attach to?

Concerning the usability of the light in its original state. I'd say it's certainly usable, but leaves you wanting a bit more. The near field "dark band" is definitely more pronounced in it's stock form, and the side spill is not as smooth (more jagged looking).

In it's modified form, I really can't imagine anything better for pure road use... hands down.

Utility Cyclist
    Sep 2012
    In my case it was easier to mill off the bottom of the LED boards because I already had a nice "jig" for holding the boards upside down.
    Probably that's why my thoughts turned to cut-and-piece -- I do a little jewelry, and so have saws and drillbits but nothing that could be made to do milling.

Since my reading about a v2 seems to have been a dream, I'm going to buy the v1 and after winter is past and there's less need for it, follow your lead and mod it -but by cutting and piecing.

Does anyone have the url for the taillight shootout beamshots/reviews? I found them once, but for some reason have not been able to find them again.

I need taillights as well, if I'm going to ride at night. I always wear a reflective ANSI 2 vest, but flashy-blinky taillights will definitely improve my chances of getting back alive (the streets around here were laid out for horses and buggies in the early 1800s, and cars think nothing of zipping by just inches away. Very scary, especially the cellphone idiots.)

mtbr member
    what if you can mod a regular flashlight to have the same beam pattern. just cut a regular parabolic reflector in half along the axis of the light. put a flat mirror in the the plane of the cut, and mount an LED in that flat mirror facing down. i think you will basically get half a beam pattern of regular light - which is what this philips has.

the way i see it the two key elements of the design are:

1 - LED facing down

2 - top of the reflector is flat
    Last edited by androgen; 10-14-2012 at 10:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    what if you can mod a regular flashlight to have the same beam pattern. just cut a regular parabolic reflector in half along the axis of the light. put a flat mirror in the the plane of the cut, and mount an LED in that flat mirror facing down. i think you will basically get half a beam pattern of regular light - which is what this philips has.

1 - LED facing down

Yes, you got it exactly right. The problem is getting more than one LED into the design, and wrapping an enclosure around it, without the whole thing getting too large. Also, getting good side coverage is really tricky without a "faceted" reflector, similar to the Philips design. The implication behind point #1 is that for a good upper half beam cutoff design, you need to prevent direct line of sight to the LED itself, and reflect all of the usable light.

mtbr member
    Since my reading about a v2 seems to have been a dream, I'm going to buy the v1 and after winter is past and there's less need for it, follow your lead and mod it -but by cutting and piecing.

Does anyone have the url for the taillight shootout beamshots/reviews? I found them once, but for some reason have not been able to find them again.
    You can do it... just take your time and measure, measure, measure before you epoxy down the new LEDs.

I actually sent in one of my DS-500 taillights for last year's shootout. Francis hinted that he had the "monster" in the taillight review, but I think he ran out of time before he was able to complete the process. There are a lot of good options for night-time-only use, but if you want good protection in the daytime, you really need 6 watts or more.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post

1 - LED facing down

Pretty well covered here...

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do...gn-686146.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    now that's the kind of DIY i can understand - trying to go beyond what is available commercially.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Check out Eurobike for the 2013 light. I think small changes.