Pair a Bontrager Ion Pro RT for me- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pair a Bontrager Ion Pro RT for me

Hi everyone

I ended up getting a Bontrager Ion Pro RT as a gift for the holidays and would love a great recommendation for my second light (to be used for night riding). Ideally, I'd love another self-contained light. The idea of external battery packs isn't quite for me, yet.

What would pair well?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I would say , buy a Bontrager Ion 800 RT as a helmet light. They are a bit lighter and you can pair both the Ion 800 and the Ion Pro with a Bontrager Transmitr or a Garmin computer.

They are both great lights

mtbr member
    Perfect but where do I buy it? It seems discontinued?

mtbr member
    Here's a link to a thread abouyt your light. I remember at least one person who had 2 RT Pro's and the wireless remote so you may be able to get some feedback on that setup. I don't beleive the smaller 800 is available anymore.

https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...a-1086506.html

Here's another link to a site that some beam shots and lux measurements on quite a few of the newest self-contained lights.

https://lights.road.cc/index-wide.php

How are you planning on using your lights (road/mountain/commute/bar mounted/helmet mounted)? Any information like ride duration, riding skill level, and type of trails would also be helpful.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Good question, MRMOLE. Used only for mountain biking in the PNW. Technical single track. Your average PNW Black is my jam. Though, all that changes a bit while riding at night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    Good question, MRMOLE. Used only for mountain biking in the PNW. Technical single track. Your average PNW Black is my jam. Though, all that changes a bit while riding at night.
    Since I live and ride in the desert and consider myself a cautious descender I'm thinking my advice would be of little use to you. Maybe someone with a more similar riding environment and style will chime in and you can also seek advice from others who ride your trails and of course your LBS as a more informed source of light choice information. Hope the links I posted earlier will be of some help or enjoyment.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    Hi everyone

I ended up getting a Bontrager Ion Pro RT as a gift for the holidays and would love a great recommendation for my second light (to be used for night riding). Ideally, I'd love another self-contained light. The idea of external battery packs isn't quite for me, yet.

What would pair well?
    Well since this is a new light and I'm guessing a good portion of the current users are road riders I guess the minimal response to your pairing question shouldn't be a surprise. If you find anything your interested in I may be able to point out pro's and con's of individual lights since I have a good bit of exposure to different lights. As far as external battery packs a helmet mounted 2 cell battery + lighthead like the picture I'm adding weighs no more than a self-contained like the RT Pro but has much better mounting options that place the light lower (much more out of the way) and lowers cg making the setup feel much lighter. A little more to set up but still no teathered battery cable to a back pack or pocket if that's your main concern. Something to think about.
    Mole

Name:  Poc%202.gif
Views: 173
Size:  89.3 KB