Oversized QR Flashlight Mount?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New question here. Oversized QR Flashlight Mount?

Saw this JKK03 CREE XHP70.2 LED 3600 LUMENS 6-MODE USB RECHARGEABLE LED FLASHLIGHT ( 3X18650 ) on Kaidomain

http://kaidomain.com/JKK03-Cree-XHP7...LED-Flashlight

Has a good interface for a bike light (doesnít cycle through Off) and holds three 18650 cells so run time supposedly 2- 3hr on Hi, 6-8hrs M. Probably not the greatest beam for riding but figure that could easily be improved with a home brewed diffuser; an ACTION-LED wide angle lens might even fit with a little finagling. Would obviously be mounting on bars so throw not a big issue, head lamp spot would cover distance.

Only problems are the 46mm body diameter and weight of 276g without batteries, canít find a quick release flashlight-to-bar mount that will accommodate that size and heft. Any ideas? TIA

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Its going to be heavy with a high center of gravity. Probably best to use a bar extender and two of those silicon straps they sell in the bike accessories section. Split the weight between the bar and bar extension, rotate the bar extension up and down to aim the light.

The xhp 70.2 has not great colour distribution across the beam but not as bad as the xhp50.2, I'd go for the orange peel reflector. I have a KD litker C8.2, single cell light with a boost driver running a xhp 50.2. I put a xhp 70.2 and an aliexpress orange peel reflector in it. Its a little spotty for twisty single track bar use. High is more light than I need but medium is a little dim and makes the beam even narrower. Its a little cold to check run time, my longest ride with it so far is an hour on high at -3C with 30Q's. My first ride with it lasted forty minutes with a partially charged battery. It went from stepping down to blinking and useless in less than two minutes. Boost drivers draw more current as the battery voltage drops. Its not a gradual dimming, it's more of a tailspin. The driver in your light is probably a bit more efficient than mine and high capacity cells should work fine, that thing should last more than three hours on high.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah arc Iíve got a couple lights already with the XHP70.2 and OP reflectors. The beam isnít perfectly uniform but at least doesnít do a complete CREE rainbow and can easily be evened out with a either a wide angle lens or diffuser.

No idea how to mount the flashlight to an extender so that itís pointing perpendicular to the handlebars. Also with the 22mm set on my bike, no matter how Iíve shimmed them, extenders have always drooped. So am looking for something that will both clamp tightly to my narrow bars and accommodate the fat JKK03.

Currently have a KDLITKER BL70S model with a diffusing film over the glass cover lens, paired with a TrustFire 6-cell powerbank. Gives me an acceptable low beam and runs for hours on high without stepping down.

KDLITKER BL70S RAV Power protective pouch cut to size by andyXchrist, on Flickr

KDLITKER BL70s CREE XHP70.2 DIY RAV Power Diffuser by andyXchrist, on Flickr

KDLITKER BL70s CREE XHP70.2 DIY RAV Power Diffuser by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Only trouble, itís a real PITA when I get home at night either to detach the case or unscrew the lid and remove all the cells to take indoors and out of the cold to recharge. Figured during the winter it might be more convenient instead to run two of the JKK03 flashlights, each on Medium for about the same runtime as the BL70S on High with the TF. But need some sort of quick release otherwise am still in the same boat.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    22mm bars is going to make it tough. Lost places posted something about rifle scope rings and adapters in a thread here somewhere. Maybe Vancbiker can make something up, either bar clamp or stem faceplate. Or possibly buy a couple cheap stems , then fashion a cradle out of them. Then strap the light to it. One light should be enough if you have a helmet light.

It might be easier to buy a couple mountain bike light packs and keep using the BL70S. Put a battery in a small frame bag somewhere and bring the battery in at night. In the morning grab the other battery and put the used battery on the charger.

What I was planning on doing with the C8 light was to have two of them, when the first one starts getting low just swap lights. My mount clamps to the bar, the plastic just squeezes the light to hold it in place with no straps. The light is in and out in seconds. Unfortunately there's not enough close range light for hairpin turns, might work good on the road if you don't mind your front wheel being in the dark. If you can find a 21700 version of C8 that will take a boost driver you might get close to two hours on high if you tweak the sense resistor a bit.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Turns out I have an older version of JKK36, it's my car light/power bank. Good power and throw. I have the smooth reflector, I can see the orange peel version of that reflector being quite good. The user interface is a bit different and the mode spacing on mine wasn't very good. Its a big light and long, you might want to double check the dimensions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Actually if I could find a frame bag big enough to hold the TrustFire 6-cell that would be the most straightforward solution, arc. Hadnít been thinking of them recently because my older standby bike has a stick frame and wonít support that kind of shape. But shouldnít be a problem on my newer bike with its slightly more conventional build. Though thereíd still be the advantage of neatness and efficiency with self contained lights. Plus might be able to mount the flashlights to my bikeís fork in the event I ever install the front fairing (still waiting on parts and tools, grr.) Oh and have plenty of spare cells and half a dozen XTARs so thereís always a fully charged set ready to take with me in the morning while the cold ones warm back up.

BTW reason Iíd planned on using two of the JKK03, compared with the KD BL70S its head is about 12mm smaller in diameter which translates into a lot less surface area available to dissipate heat. So assume it could not run on high very long without stepping down. Figure a pair of these three cell flashlights set to Medium should give roughly equal runtime and light as the KD does on high from the six cell TF. (My ride home can take three hours and IĎd hate having to swap batteries in the dark cold night.)

Model Iím looking at has its three cells in parallel so the flashlight is not all that long, but it is 46mm in diameter front to back. Which is why canít be used in typical clamp mount.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    22mm bars is going to make it tough. ..... Maybe Vancbiker can make something up, either bar clamp or stem faceplate. ...........
    I do have a 22.2mm GoPro mount already...

https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...s-1002310.html

I don't have a ready to go option to adapt the 46mm body to the GoPro system. Plus the GoPro system is not really QR.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Kevin. Too bad thereís no attachment for a fat flash, oh well.

Think I found a couple frame bags that should be able to hold the TF 6-cell PB plus a spare tube or two on my newest bike.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

One of the Rhinowalks even has a flapped hole for an earphone cord that I might be able to ream for a 5V Magicshine style connector. Failing that, a grommet should suffice so that the battery cord can easily pass through the front of the bag.

Still considering a couple of the JKK03 for use on the fork once Iíve installed the front fairing, parts I had on order are all supposed to arrive today and tomorrow. Messaged Kaidomain whether they carried a mount that would fit, hoping to hear back.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The bag looks like a good option, a little extra insulation to keep the batteries warmer.

The flash light you linked in the first post has a cell carrier. A couple extra spring connections to cause problems and a bit bulkier.

If you could find a similar light with three bored holes instead of the carrier you could drill and tap the web between battery holes and bolt on a go-pro mount. If you hit center of gravity it will reduce stress on the mount. Then Vancbiker's go pro mount might be enough to hold it in place.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    Thanks Kevin. Too bad thereís no attachment for a fat flash, oh well. ..........
    Post 8 in this thread shows what I have done for flashlights for a few people.

https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...l#post14391389

Those were used with ~25-32mm diameter lights. Not sure how it would work with a bigger body.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The light he linked in the first post will weigh about one pound with batteries and be approximately six inches long.

Would that be a problem for your 22mm clamp?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well a simple go pro style mount wouldnít really suffice because Iíd need the flashlights to be on some sort of quick release.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    The light he linked in the first post will weigh about one pound with batteries and be approximately six inches long.

Would that be a problem for your 22mm clamp?
    No, I don't think it would have a problem Since the clamp is precisely machined to the 22.2mm size it has a really good grip on the bars. Much the same as brake levers.

You would need to tighten the GoPro interface with an allen wrench. This defeats andychrist's desire for a QR solution.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    arc, the model to which I linked is the only one Iíve ever seen with a Cree XHP70.2 in 4000K, bike light style interface, and three cell configuration. Not worried about the springs, my TrustFires are similar in that regard and have never given me any problems. And using Kevinís hose clamp method it wouldnít be necessary to drill out the flashlight, appears to be smooth in circumference at its COG (another reason Iíd selected it.)