Over-volting Halogen Lights- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Over-volting Halogen Lights

don't laugh.....but I have a light that runs dual 6V halogen lights and originally came with a 6V Lead-Acid rechargeable battery that is frankly, a piece of crap.

What would happen if I hooked up my lights up to a 9.6 V NiMH battery pack (it runs 8 AA batteries in parallel)

I know I would over-volt the lights and will probably burn out earlier, but how much earlier? MR11 lights are pretty cheap to replace but I was just wondering if anyone had some info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yikes! That's really pushing the voltage up there.
    I've pretty much retired my halogen lights, but I did run my 12v lights off of a 14.4v nimh battery, then a 14.8v li-ion battery and never burned out a bulb after many years of use. The li-ion battery initially puts out over 16 volts, so it is way above the 12v bulb.

mtbr member
    Have a look a the chart in this post: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=481943

It shows that a 20% increase in voltage drops the life down to about 10% (a 90% reduction). With your 55%+ increase they won't last very long, but should be pretty bright.

Tim

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Just try it- halogen bulbs are cheap. Just be careful that the addtional heat being generated doesn't destroy your housing. You can do a stationary test using a fan to simulate airflow whilst riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    thanks everyone for the suggestions....I've run these bulbs for 2 years of once-a-week riding Oct-Mar......if they last only one season I can live with that......

Its got what plants crave
    I converted a 6v Niterider Trail Rat. I used a 20W 12V Niterider bulb and a 14.8V Li-Ion battery from Batteryspace. Spent about 100 bucks, had a friend solder the leads from my new battery onto my old light head, and fired it up. Quite bright, and have run probably hundreds of hours on the bulb. In fact, I'm on my second Li-Ion battery. It is not especially high tech but it works great and is plenty bright for what I do with it. If I had to guess maybe 600 or 700 lumens?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Members who have read this thread: 0