Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found

After the successful creation of the customized SolarStorm X3 XM-L2 and the SolarStorm XT40 XM-L2, I thought I would ask GearBest about the Yinding. So after explaining the story of the Yinding quality disintegration, I asked Dora if she could find the original Yinding. To my surprise, thinking it was gone, she found it. According to her she contacted the Yinding factory and they said the quality hadn't changed. If she is correct then the other sellers are not selling the real light.

When the sample came, Dora and I confirmed all the specs I gave her: dimpled lens, correct mount, correct click together connectors, XML U2 emitters and build quality. She is sending me the light so I can check its quality and has sent pictures of the sample to confirm its correctness. So far it looks great, I have a second gen Yinding and can't wait to finally get an original.
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-image.jpg

I had previously discussed that people sometimes prefer to buy the light alone, so she decided to sell it in two options: Lighthead only and Complete Kit. I will post the links and hopefully we can get a coupon code to make a bit cheaper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

AW: Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found

So far I only see this offering on gearbest. Is it the same model you are talking about, as specs seam to be different?
    http://m.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_124468.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yinding 900 Lumens CREE XM-L2 2 LEDs 4-Modes Headlight Cycling Lamp (4 x 18650 Battery Pack)-36.32 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com is correct with the wrong emitters listed. Dora is aware of the mistake and will change it. I didn't list the link yet because it is newly listed, has errors and the Lighthead option isn't posted yet. I also asked about a coupon code and was waiting to hear back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice work!

I might have to jump on this, even though I just ordered a gearbest solarstorm x3. I always wanted the light head only option, but I think the odds of getting a fake are increased.

I think one of the things that changed for the worse was that the newer/fake models had worse water resistance. That would be one thing to check once you get the light.

Also tell her they need to fix the tracking number issue. This was discussed in a another thread, but i got a bum Netherlands post number that is untrackable. Hopefully my X3 shows up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Definite list everything you want tested and anything I miss. Can you send me a link to the water problem? I see the gasket around the lenses and one the first things I confirmed, was the Magicshine type connectors since my second gen came with the cheap non waterproof connector. FastTech cheated me on my Yinding and I want to confirm these first.

Did you try to track your package using 17track.net? That was the best option for my last two PostNL packages. Keep in mind it takes a few days to a week before PostNL updates the number, so they don't show the number existing nor do they show any info until it's at their sort facility in the Netherlands. I know that was a pain for me. Did you contact them about it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Nice work!

I might have to jump on this, even though I just ordered a gearbest solarstorm x3. I always wanted the light head only option, but I think the odds of getting a fake are increased.

I think one of the things that changed for the worse was that the newer/fake models had worse water resistance. That would be one thing to check once you get the light.

Also tell her they need to fix the tracking number issue. This was discussed in a another thread, but i got a bum Netherlands post number that is untrackable. Hopefully my X3 shows up.
    Just found this out a couple hours ago; Lightmalls is selling the X3 with Cree XP-L's. Not sure if this is going to be better than XM-L2's. Output for both emitters are very close in comparison. Still, with XP-L there might be a different beam pattern. Whether this will increase the usefulness of the beam pattern is anyone's guess.

I just ordered a torch with an XP-L emitter so if I like what I see I might be tempted to buy a lamp with the newer emitter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Just found this out a couple hours ago; Lightmalls is selling the X3 with Cree XP-L's. Not sure if this is going to be better than XM-L2's. Output for both emitters are very close in comparison. Still, with XP-L there might be a different beam pattern. Whether this will increase the usefulness of the beam pattern is anyone's guess.

I just ordered a torch with an XP-L emitter so if I like what I see I might be tempted to buy a lamp with the newer emitter.
    I notice the pictures on the listing show the X3 with Phillips head screws on the front and no branding, so definitely a clone. The first photo also shows the emmiters aren't even close to centered. With poor build quality, I wonder what driver they used.

Just Ride !
    How much did the original yinding's cost ? Compared to the real Duo @ 115$ for the light head .
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky. :cornut:

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The other sellers are charging $45-52 for the Yinding. I payed/was robbed $48 for my supposed to be original Yinding from FastTech with all its cheap parts.

GearBest is listing the set for $37, so the light head should be less. I'm also waiting to see if there's a coupon code.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GJHS View Post
    Definite list everything you want tested and anything I miss. Can you send me a link to the water problem? I see the gasket around the lenses and one the first things I confirmed, was the Magicshine type connectors since my second gen came with the cheap non waterproof connector. FastTech cheated me on my Yinding and I want to confirm these first.

Did you try to track your package using 17track.net? That was the best option for my last two PostNL packages. Keep in mind it takes a few days to a week before PostNL updates the number, so they don't show the number existing nor do they show any info until it's at their sort facility in the Netherlands. I know that was a pain for me. Did you contact them about it?
    I think the gasket was missing on the bad version. It's been long time since I've been on that thread, so I'm working from working from my rather poor memory. Since you have bum version, then just do a quick comparison of the two. The big thing is this "version" is as bright as the original, because that was a pretty impressive light.

Yes I have been using 17track.net website for tracking. I wasn't aware that I took a few days for the Netherlands post numbers to show up. Maybe that's the problem, even though it's been a few days. I'll just give it a few more days. My last few packages have been from lightmall with the more expensive shipping ($4 versus $2), and the tracking on those has been excellent. Those were all coming out of Hong Kong.

Interesting. It's probably some kind of clone manufacturer. I know you have had good luck with those, but I just got burned a few months ago with an under-driven Solarstorm X3.

So is that emitter the next big thing?
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-xp-l-spatial-distribution.pngOriginal/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-xp-l-lumen-chart.png

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

AW: Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found

Yinding 900 Lumens CREE XM-L2 2 LEDs 4-Modes Headlight Cycling Lamp (4 x 18650 Battery Pack)-36.32 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com is correct with the wrong emitters listed. Dora is aware of the mistake and will change it. I didn't list the link yet because it is newly listed, has errors and the Lighthead option isn't posted yet. I also asked about a coupon code and was waiting to hear back.
    Does this version have a seal between front bezel and the lenses? Can not see this on the pictures.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ya it's hard to tell 100%
    With all the rest accurate, it would seem the gasket would be there

I like turtles
    I love my "original" Yinding...great light! Any chance you can get the color spec on the LEDs on these from gearbest?

Edit. Looks to be correct to me; that gasket for the lenses is clear and hard to see...need to pop them out and check. Also, this is listed as having XML U2 LEDs; the one I have has the XM-L2 3B LEDs.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Looks like better waterproofing than the clones.
    Does this one have the ability to program the modes via 10 steps of brightness like some of the clones do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    According to Dora this straight from the Yinding factory so the original specs, which would be a three step switch, I believe.

TiGeo, I know there was a seller who upgraded the emitters to XM-L2. I can ask to upgrade though we may have to group buy. My second gen Yinding with XML is crazy bright out of the box.

mtbr member
    Bah Humbug. I'm really liking the programmable one, once I figured how to use it.
    If they could do a neutral white XML-2 with 10-step programming and the original waterproofing they'd really have something here.

I suppose that's what the Gemini Duo is.

I like turtles
    ^^^precisely. Remember...the Duo lighthead is only $115 from Jim at Action-led-lights.com. It's a great unit and my Yinding is only used as a backup now and on my road bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I love my "original" Yinding...great light! Any chance you can get the color spec on the LEDs on these from gearbest?

Edit. Looks to be correct to me; that gasket for the lenses is clear and hard to see...need to pop them out and check. Also, this is listed as having XML U2 LEDs; the one I have has the XM-L2 3B LEDs.
    Do you prefer it over Solarstorm X2's?

I like turtles
    I prefer it (assume you mean the Yiniding) over my SSX2 for bar use as it has more of a broad pattern where the SSX2 has a more spot pattern. A buddy I ride with who uses the SSX2 on the bar and helmet was recently saying it was a bit spotty for the bar application.

Just Ride !
    The SSX2 on the bar is WAY to spotty for my liking , not a bad helmet light though .
    The Duo on the other hand makes for a great bar light even though poeple talk about it as a helmet light .

mtbr member
    In keeping with the subject of the last 3-4 posts; Yeah, the SSX2 is a bit spotty for the bars BUT works pretty good on the bars if you use it on a road bike. That said it is still a wider beam pattern than typical one emitter lamps.

I think what makes all the Duo Clones nice is that they all use optics. If you want more or less spot you can buy replaceable optics to change the beam pattern. Out of the box I would think the Duo clones would still have a wider/smoother beam pattern ( vs the SSX2 ), making them a good choice for bar use.

Not that I'm dissing the find of the original type Yinding ( with XM-L U2 ) but I'd rather have one with XM-L2 simple because it is more efficient.

For what's it's worth I've ordered one of the KD2 Duo clones to play around with over the holidays ( with XM-L2 U2 and 10-level sub mode ) thinking it might be more like the original Duo. At least when I get mine I'll get an idea of the actual beam pattern vs. the SSX2. Not to mention I'll be able to compare the KD2 with the Gloworm X2 ( v3 ) which should be an interesting comparison.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    It is a little bit confusing that the product headline indicates that batteries are included but in the description it says that batteries are not included.

I like turtles
    In keeping with the subject of the last 3-4 posts; Yeah, the SSX2 is a bit spotty for the bars BUT works pretty good on the bars if you use it on a road bike. That said it is still a wider beam pattern than typical one emitter lamps.

I think what makes all the Duo Clones nice is that they all use optics. If you want more or less spot you can buy replaceable optics to change the beam pattern. Out of the box I would think the Duo clones would still have a wider/smoother beam pattern ( vs the SSX2 ), making them a good choice for bar use.

Not that I'm dissing the find of the original type Yinding ( with XM-L U2 ) but I'd rather have one with XM-L2 simple because it is more efficient.

For what's it's worth I've ordered one of the KD2 Duo clones to play around with over the holidays ( with XM-L2 U2 and 10-level sub mode ) thinking it might be more like the original Duo. At least when I get mine I'll get an idea of the actual beam pattern vs. the SSX2. Not to mention I'll be able to compare the KD2 with the Gloworm X2 ( v3 ) which should be an interesting comparison.
    Agree; on a road bike spot isn't terrible. In fact, when I had my 808s I used the one with the standard lens (not the wide angle) for my road bike as the wide angle didn't work so well in terms of riding past your light if you know what I mean. I have never used the SSX2 on the road bike..I guess why bother when I have the Duo or the Yinding. The Yinding is my primary road light now and I really like it.

The Duo/Yinding DOES have a better pattern and is v. smooth due to the optics. I have a set of 40s I got from LEDDNA that I played with and I actually like the stock ones better. Its a great bar light..trust me..I have quite a bit of miles on it. I used my nicer Duo/Xera for the last endurance race (18 hours) I did but loaned my Yinding to a buddy who had older 808s and he loved it on the bar. The battery my Yinding came with is still going strong..used it for nearly 2.5 hours a few weeks ago...mainly on high...no issues. LED switch was red at about 2 hours.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I spoke with Dora last night and she said the factory can make them with XM-L2, which to me, would make this light amazing. The excitement over finding the "original" is because it was one of the few Chinese lights that is still well made, with proper pills, thermal paste, waterproofing, solid mount, good connectors and customizeable with different optics. I have a few lights and this one is my favorite. This thing is tiny and puts out massive amounts of light.

With that said, I'm going to suggest that everyone waits to buys this light for now. Wait until I can confirm everything, up the specs with XM-L2 and see if I can get a coupon code to get the price down a bit. GearBest has two listings on their website, one with battery and one with just the light head. I mentioned to them last night that the listing was confusing. I think they are just starting to get ready to sell the light and still not ready 100%. That's why I didn't post links yet.

Is there someone who doesn't want the upgrade to XM-L2 U2? Maybe try for XP-L?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would settle with XM-L2 U2 3C bin. At least not to cool white, would prefer warmer tints. XP-L woudn't be some noticeably improvement, I think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's why I wanted to get the Yinding in the first place, because it was supposedly a better bar light. Thanks for confirming this. By the time I got around it to they had already downgraded their quality (or the cloners started taking over) and it was still $50.

I didn't realize that this was using xm-l's, I thought they had already moved on to XM-l2's. Xm-l2 have been out for a long time, I personally wouldn't buy an xm-l light now.

Original quality Yinding with the newer XM-L2 is almost a must buy. Neutral white preferably.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    thanks for the legwork GJHS. I may be interested in one as well. I originally wanted to get one based on the good reviews but by the time I got over my procrastination the original was no more. So I went a different route in the meantime, using 1x18650 flashlights instead.

But would def like to try one to compare w/ my flashlights. Would prefer a 2-cell battery instead of 4 though but that's not likely to happen. Not a weight weenie but my camelbak feels like it's already 20 lbs so not motivated to add anymore weight. I carry spare batteries so rather not carry 4 additional cells.

I'm neutral on the neutral white tint though. Where I typically ride the dirt is pretty reddish so w/ a natural tint it seems overly red. A cool white tint seems brighter and doesn't appear as red. From the pic, the neutral XM-L2 T6 3B on the right seems more natural but w/ the naked eyes, the cool white U2 1A on the left seems more pleasing and easier on the eyes to me. Maybe it's the phone pic that's not showing it well but to me, the 3B seemed incandescent.

XM-L2 is def a must :-)

Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-two-tints.jpg

I like turtles
    My Yinding has the XM-L2 T6 3B LEDs...its a nice tint but looks a bit odd when you run a whiter helmet light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    it seems most brand name lights (not clones) are cool white? That's all I've seen from other riders.

Correction, the tint was XM-L2 T6 3C (not 3B).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes but this is beacuse cool white leds are cheaper and almost all chinese lights are using those. Neutral one would be much better for your eyes, color rendering and for 3D perception. It just apears less bright because eyes doesn't accept all wavelengths equaly among quite few other things involved (reflection, absorbtion, color of the surface, amount of phosphor on the led, etc....), much more than you would think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would jump on a light only if this were available. This is what I had mentioned in a previous thread that if a company just put together the right build that we were all after, they would sell a ton of these. Sounds like GearBest is getting smart.

Just got my XT40 yesterday and went for a ride last night. GREAT light. I was thinking what it would be like to have 2 on the bars split into 1 bigger battery pack.

I have a Yinding clone with the 10 step driver from Lightmalls. Good light so far, but could use it as a back up or give it to a friend for a good upgrade.

I like turtles
    My Duo has the programmable 10-stem dealeo but honesty, its nice but not a huge deal to not have it.

mtbr member
    I use my lights for commuting on foot and ski as well as bike, so I like a very low setting for getting ready and leaving town, and a mid setting for running. I prefer 4 or 5 levels on the lights I build, and especially like the ability to go down a level with a longer button press or up with a quick click.

I have been using the Yinding for running recently now that I have my own levels programmed in.

Sure increases the battery life!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok I have confirmed the emitter is XM-L2 T6 1A for the first batch which had already been ordered. For the factory to switch it to U2 3B they would need an order of 500 minimum. The initial sample is being sent to me to disassemble and confirm proper construction from the factory for GearBest.

I have confirmed a group buy price if interested. For the light head only would be $28.79 and the set would be $39.69 if we buy 20 total of either or a combo. I have also confirmed there will be a coupon code given when we have confirmed the quality and the light sells. I know group buys aren't everyone's cup of tea.

I like turtles
    That is a great deal for the lighthead.

I quit e-MTBR
    Thanks for all your work on this GJHS.

So with battery pack, the group price is $39.69. Am I right that you're talking about this, for which the non-group price is $41.42 shipped? [EDIT: no, it's not the same, see below]

I'm not clear what is involved in doing a group buy, but if it's only saving a dollar-fifty I'd just go ahead and order myself now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I wish they would remove that confusing link, which is the price and link for an XML version which they decided not to stock. I'm not sure the price difference, if any, of the XM-L2 version which is on its way.

I'm just trying to get a few options for people to save a few bucks. I say wait to see the price with coupon code savings first when the light is in stock. I hope I'm not making it confusing myself

Just Ride !
    My Duo has the programmable 10-stem dealeo but honesty, its nice but not a huge deal to not have it.
    70% / 100 % is all I have mine programmed to .

Main thing I like is the no strobe or off when you cycle through .

I like turtles
    I do mine at 100 70 50.

I quit e-MTBR
    I wish they would remove that confusing link, which is the price and link for an XML version which they decided not to stock. I'm not sure the price difference, if any, of the XM-L2 version which is on its way.

I'm just trying to get a few options for people to save a few bucks. I say wait to see the price with coupon code savings first when the light is in stock. I hope I'm not making it confusing myself
    Right, duh. Sorry to revive the confusion.

mtbr member
    I do mine at 100 70 50.
    10, 30, 70 for running & skiing. 30 70 100 for biking.

So, for the group buy- Multi-level? Neutral white XML-2? If so, I'm in.

Just Ride !
    [QUOTE=GJHS;11630894]Ok I have confirmed the emitter is XM-L2 T6 1A for the first batch which had already been ordered. For the factory to switch it to U2 3B they would need an order of 500 minimum. The initial sample is being sent to me to disassemble and confirm proper construction from the factory for GearBest.

"Proper construction " ?? That puts my mind at ease into getting one .

I quit e-MTBR
    So then does "group buy" just mean they'll give us the lower price if 20 people order the lights using the coupon code? Or does it mean one person collects money from everyone else, places the order for all the lights, and then re-ships the lights?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by c.m.s View Post
    "proper construction " ?? That puts my mind at ease into getting one .
    Yes proof that this truly is an original Yinding with proper pills etc. Not the garbage FastTech sold me or should I say the clone the Yinding turned into. If it's the original quality, then this is a great little light.

I'm putting my reputation on this and I don't want to mislead people. I am glad to see GearBest taking the time to send them out to be tested and not just posting a link with a buy now button.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    So then does "group buy" just mean they'll give us the lower price if 20 people order the lights using the coupon code? Or does it mean one person collects money from everyone else, places the order for all the lights, and then re-ships the lights?
    Hmmm I honestly don't know I wondered that myself. Anyone have group buy experience?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ok I have confirmed the emitter is XM-L2 T6 1A for the first batch which had already been ordered. For the factory to switch it to U2 3B they would need an order of 500 minimum. The initial sample is being sent to me to disassemble and confirm proper construction from the factory for GearBest.

I have confirmed a group buy price if interested. For the light head only would be $28.79 and the set would be $39.69 if we buy 20 total of either or a combo. I have also confirmed there will be a coupon code given when we have confirmed the quality and the light sells. I know group buys aren't everyone's cup of tea.
    Sounds like a good deal for the lighthead. Not sure a $10 battery would be any good. I would rather have an empty pannova case and buy my own batteries.

How would a group buy even work? One person receives the shipment and then has to send them out to the rest of us? Sounds like a major hassle for the organizer, plus there would be additional cost of shipping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've only participated in GBs, some with Gearbest and have bought several items thru Gearbest and so far all has went well. Usual method is a coupon code and everybody orders directly. If it's a limited item, then coupon sent to the organizer and he shares w/ those who committed to the group buy.

GJHS is doing all the legwork and due diligence and that's all you've got to go by, hoping that items received are the same as sample item tested. My limited experience with Gearbest has been positive so...

Thanks for doing all the work GJHS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Like TiGeo, my cheap Yinding battery lasts 2.5 hours on high, still after a year of light use, so it's good for me. I would agree a case and some KeepPower 3400mAh protected Panasonics would be best.

I will confirm the group buy deal, though I think the coupon will bring it down pretty close and no hassle.

I like turtles
    Group buy should just be a coupon code..they aren't losing any money on this.

Just Ride !
    How long are we talking about in getting one of these in hand all said and done considering these are originally XML's and being built with XML2's ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If I'm correct, the Yinding factory will have them done in like a week or two. They have already been ordered. I will confirm all dates tonight.

mtbr member
    I'd be interested in a group buy on one of these. I've been looking for a clone of these but didn't want to gamble on the quality.

I like turtles
    How does the XM-L2 T6 1A compare to the color of mine with a XM-L2 T6 3B?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Cool white 1A vs a more Natural 3B

I like turtles
    Ok...so whiter...less "peachy"?

I quit e-MTBR
    Yes proof that this truly is an original Yinding with proper pills etc. Not the garbage FastTech sold me or should I say the clone the Yinding turned into. If it's the original quality, then this is a great little light.

I'm putting my reputation on this and I don't want to mislead people. I am glad to see GearBest taking the time to send them out to be tested and not just posting a link with a buy now button.
    Assuming GJHS's sample checks out, I'm in.

The battery for my helmet-mounted Piko is toast. Compared to a new battery for the Piko, this looks to be brighter and much cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok...so whiter...less "peachy"?
    Yes very white

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    my pic is of 1A vs 3C (1A is 6500-7000K, 3C is 5000K, 3B is 5200K I believe).

mtbr member
    sorry for being a noob, but would you expect these to throw out an equivalent amount of light as the Duo? in any event, assuming the sample looks good, I'd be in for one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    TiGeo has both and may give a better comparison. The Duo claims 1500 lumens and with two decent driven XM-L2 T6s the Yinding should put out 12-1300 lumens.

I like turtles
    The Duo is certainly a higher quality unit. With that said, the Yinding has what appears to be about the same output as the Duo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    GJHS, newbie here but color me interested in a XM-L2 T6 1A if your sample turns out to be good

Always in the wrong gear
    If this plays out and the quality is there, I'd be in. Preferably for light and battery, but would be OK with just the head, too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the legwork, GJ.
    You can count me in for both if it has your approval.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    I'm will throw another $40 in the fire. Although I need another light like I need another hole in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by siata94 View Post
    my pic is of 1A vs 3C (1A is 6500-7000K, 3C is 5000K, 3B is 5200K I believe).
    1A / 7000k is probably too blue for best depth perception. I find the 3500k too warm and peachy. 5500 is probably the sweet spot for neutral white IMHO, if we get a choice in future batches, but sounds like not in the first one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok guys I confirmed the light will be in stock and on sale next Friday. No word on a coupon yet. You can presale now, yet don't! Patience

I haven't received my sample and haven't confirmed the quality so at this point I suggest you wait to buy until I get it and can confirm the construction. They will DHL it to me quick so waiting a week more isn't a big deal. I don't work for GearBest. Please wait until I can open it up and review the quality.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    subscribed. nice work GJHS. too bad you didn't get the bin/color specified before they ordered the first batch from the factory. still sounds pretty sweet. i was definitely watching the duo clone threads ... but as the clones of clones seemed to get worse and worse i had let it go.

Question:
    If I think my 2 XML torches (one bar/one helmet) have served me well for the last couple of years ... do folks here think 2 of these (one bar, one helmet) would be good? I know there are probably better combos and/or helmet lights ( from what i've read ) but really...compared to what i have, it should be a big improvement, right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My XML Yinding is very bright. I have run mine on the bars, solo on my Singletrack trails and found Meduim to be plenty. While I too wish the LED was more natural, I'm guessing the XM-L2 at around 12-1300 lumens will be an amazing little light. I think 2 would make a nice combo unless you need long throw for high speed.

Here is a photo of the original XML Yinding

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I wonder what the tint range is for the expensive cars, they almost seem pure white some even blueish tint.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by siata94 View Post
    I wonder what the tint range is for the expensive cars, they almost seem pure white some even blueish tint.
    OEM HID'HID'S are 4300k.

Anyone know what this yinding tint would look like compared to an xt-40? My xt-40 just came in and I can't tell the difference between its tint and my real duo. Extremely happy with it, but I can't see it lasting very long with its complete lack of heat sinking so I'm tempted to pick up an xm-l2 yinding for when it bites the dust.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    ....Question:
    If I think my 2 XML torches (one bar/one helmet) have served me well for the last couple of years ... do folks here think 2 of these (one bar, one helmet) would be good? I know there are probably better combos and/or helmet lights ( from what i've read ) but really...compared to what i have, it should be a big improvement, right?
    Depending on what torches you were using...I would think so. If your bar torch was single emitter, a duel emitter lamp is going to be really nice upgrade and give you a wider / more even beam pattern. That said I can ride with a two torch set-up without too much problem but with the cost of these cheap/Chinese lamps it just doesn't make sense to do that any more unless you really are a died-in-the-wool minimalist / weight weenie.

mtbr member
    I see you can now buy the 10-step driver from KD.
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023801

If there was a way we could buy the driver with LEDs included in our choice of tint from KD or other, this could be installed in the well- made Yinding housing for an easy upgrade if Yinding can't do it.

I wrote KD, but have no idea if they will respond.

Add Vancbiker's aluminum mount with fins, and you have a nice light.

I like turtles
    ^^^at this point just get a Duo...

mtbr member
    ^^^at this point just get a Duo...
    Hah, much too easy and not enough fiddling. You know I'll have to do this just because.

Does Gemini offer a neutral tint? Still could use a heat-sinking Gopro mount.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    How does the XM-L2 T6 1A compare to the color of mine with a XM-L2 T6 3B?
    It will be more Blue/Green by comparison.

Take a look at the ANSII White Color chart
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-ansi-white.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Add me to the list for a light head. A ten dollar battery and charger is just a little too questionable for my taste. It looks like GearBest already has 30 pre-orders for the light head, and 13 for the kit with battery pack. If the sample product build quality checks out, this will be a hot seller.

With a neutral colour temp it would fly off the shelves. Upgrade the driver to programmable (like the KD version), and they'd be giving the big boys a run for their money. For pennies difference in manufacturing cost, the revamped Yinding would replace the SS X2 as the top discussion thread on here for the next year or so. That's, in essence, free advertising for a no-name light. You can't even pay for that kind of publicity.

Many of you bought the SolarStorm battery case under the Pannovo label. The new version of the SolarStorm case is out with the two features I thought the original one lacked. It now has a protection board, and charge level lights. There is also a little oddity of an extra connector with a USB end on it, so it can be used as a battery bank to recharge your mobile devices. I would have preferred that was implemented the way MagicShine did it -- as an extra dongle the plus into the standard MS plug. It's yet to be determined if the step down to 5 volts occurs on the protection board, or in the USB end of the cord. Does anybody know where we can get a water tight cap for a US plug?

Gearbest is one of the places carrying the new SS battery box, priced at $12.58. At Kaidomain it's $11.00. Now if Gearbest were to put together a nice bundle of the YinDing light head and the SolarStorm case, I'd bet that would sweeten the deal for MTBR readers. Maybe someone could whisper that into Dora's ear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Gearbest is one of the places carrying the new SS battery box, priced at $12.58. At Kaidomain it's $11.00. Now if Gearbest were to put together a nice bundle of the YinDing light head and the SolarStorm case, I'd bet that would sweeten the deal for MTBR readers. Maybe someone could whisper that into Dora's ear.
    On the Budget Light Forum GearBest had a coupon for the battery box on 12/8, Coupon code: New2S2PCM Price: $9.99 Solarstorm New 2S2P 8.4V 2000mAh Dual Water-resistant 4 x 18650 External Battery Pack for Bicycle Light Digital Device-12.58 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    I just checked and it still works.

I thought about asking Dora for a bundle with the box and some KeepPower 3400 mAH protected Panos. I'm sure she would be receptive.

I will also find out how big the first batch is and if we can customize a bunch with the driver. When asked last time about the neutral Led, the minimum was 500 orders.

mtbr member
    Wow, KD is fast! They just wrote me that they now have the upgrade board listed.
    XML-2 U2 as well.
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023805

I asked them to confirm the tint.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    On the Budget Light Forum GearBest had a coupon for the battery box on 12/8, Coupon code: New2S2PCM Price: $9.99 Solarstorm New 2S2P 8.4V 2000mAh Dual Water-resistant 4 x 18650 External Battery Pack for Bicycle Light Digital Device-12.58 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    I just checked and it still works.

I thought about asking Dora for a bundle with the box and some KeepPower 3400 mAH protected Panos. I'm sure she would be receptive.
    Yes the battery case has good price. I've got one to test. Will try to test overdischarge today. Overcharge is working correctly at 8.46V.

Regading batteries there is no point having protected Keeppower when you have protection in the case and knowing they are Panasonics. It would be cheaper and equaly good (regarding voltage even better) not having protected cells.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Wow, KD is fast! They just wrote me that they now have the upgrade board listed.
    XML-2 U2 as well.
    It is unclear to me wether it is price for the PCB and leds including driver or PCB with leds only. Can you clearify this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    Regading batteries there is no point having protected Keeppower when you have protection in the case and knowing they are Panasonics. It would be cheaper and equaly good (regarding voltage even better) not having protected cells.
    I was trying to pick a good battery from their catalog. Can you suggest a better one for the combo?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Samsung, Sony are good ones. It is just matter of price/performance ratio and for some applications the voltage curve and current draw. For example Sanyo has higher voltage curve at the end than Panasonic, which means it can stay above Vf of the leds for longer time, but they have less capacity and the voltage drop at the end would be more step. If the driver is not regulated and we have two leds in series this can be an issue. Protected cells would make even more voltage drop because of PCB resistance.

Now for someone the price is more impotant, the others prefers runtime. No doubt we don't need high drain cells for this application. On the budget side I can see Samsung 2600mAh which are very good up to 3A by my tests, so 6A in pair. More than enough for Yinding. Price can be down to about $4 per cell. On high end there are Panasonic 3400mAh at doubled price, but only 800mAh difference. Lately I've seen Panasonic 3100mAh being good price/performace.

I would suggest we arrange battery cells as an option. Don't forget Li-Ion cell transport restrictions. Also with higher price/weight we are getting more in customs trouble. Maybe not in US, but we don't all live there.

If needed I can elaborate more about Li-Ion cells. I've been tested many different brands and capacities. There is member of BLF who has tested them much, much more. See his comparator -> HERE. Tremendous work!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I meant that GearBest sells to make a bundle

mtbr member
    It is unclear to me wether it is price for the PCB and leds including driver or PCB with leds only. Can you clearify this?
    I have asked them about this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I meant that GearBest sells to make a bundle
    We can ask them to get ones we/you want. Otherwise I would rather go with Banggood route. Still making light head and battery case combo would be good. Then you buy cells of your choice and you are done.

mtbr member
    Yinding head with upgraded LED and driver with the protected battery box would be a killer combo. I'll be getting this.

I sure wish there was a nice protected case that took 2 cells for helmet/headband mounting as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes the battery case has good price there at Gearbest. I've got one to test. Will try to test overdischarge today. Overcharge is working correctly at 8.46V.
    Bad news, at least with mine sample. Overdischarge protection kicks in at 4.65V and stays off until voltage raises over 6V. No cell that I know won't raise it's voltage from depleted 2.3V back up to 3.0V under no load. Protection stays on until you change the cells and the capacitor inside gets almost empty which happens in about 10 seconds.

Overdischarge protection should kick in at 5.0V by specifications but I would rather see it at 5.5V. I have another battery case comming from Kaidomain and I'll see if the other one is any better in this regard.

Forgot to tell how I tested it. I've taken stepdown voltage regulator, connected it's output to the battery case springs and put DMM in parallel. Then I've changed voltage up and down to catch those figures.

mtbr member
    I sure wish there was a nice protected case that took 2 cells for helmet/headband mounting as well.
    Just saw this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ew-942264.html

Link to Case:
    Helmet Battery Case | C&B SEEN Ltd

mtbr member
    They confirmed- cool white.
    Still a worthwhile mod if you want the 10-step program and high-end XML2-U2 , but I won't be getting this one.

XML-2 U2 as well.

I asked them to confirm the tint.

I like turtles
    For the DIY nerds, that is pretty cool!

mtbr member
    I have asked them about this.
    Includes driver and cool white LEDs. Still working on a warmer tint...

mtbr member
    Looks to me like they are giving you both the driver and the board with the LED's.

mtbr member
    Geez! I quit watching for new threads on MTBR, decide to take a peek, and here's this exciting new thread on a potentially awesome light that I've missed! I've got to check back more frequently!

I might be interested in a lighthead version. Would be a little while though before I'd buy. I'm also in process of modding my KD duo clone (with the new 10-step driver), so I'm a little hesitant to drop that and spend more money on almost the same light just to gain the better heatsinking (I know the heatsinking is worth it, but I was planning to address my lack of heatsinking in mine the best I could).

Ugh! Always something to add to the wishlist!

Siata94 is right about the GearBest group buys that have been happening over at BLF. I've been involved in 2 myself. They just send out a coupon code and people place their own orders. If they hit some milestone, say 100 units, they may revise the coupon to lower the price a few more bucks and offer refunds / gift certificate codes for future orders to those first 100 purchasers.

I also have two of the DIY SolarStorm battery boxes coming. My order shipped out rather quickly, which has been unusual for them.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I didn't realize they were doing pre-orders. I might have to jump on that. Hopefully we wouldn't have a repeat of last time, where only the initial batch is any good. I bet Gearbest wouldn't have qualms about ordering a nearly identical looking batch (but worse performing) from a secondary supplier once their supply runs out. Or worse yet, the orginal manufacturer cuts corners themselves. Who knows what really goes on over there.

What's going to be cheaper, pre-order or wait for the coupon?
    Last edited by varider; 12-16-2014 at 10:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    As I've said before, I don't work for GearBest. My opinion is to wait to buy for a few reasons including a coupon and checking quality first. There is little worry of the first batch being the only good ones. The custom SolarStorm XT40 original batch sold out fast and there have been no complaints as of yet. According to Dora these are coming straight from the Yinding factory.

The whole project to find the original Yinding started with an lengthy explanation of how the Yinding was very popular, then they started to send out cheaper and cheaper parts until sales stopped. If it's selling, there would little to no reason for them to do the same after all this work. Why, to sell 20 lights? She just recently asked again how to confirm original quality. I posted pics of the original disassembled with thermal paste, gaskets and she called the factory to ensure the build quality would be the same.

Honestly, so far GearBest has been great on all three lights. That SolarStorm X3 XM-L2 was amazing and my favorite so far. Dora has listened to our requests and worked to make them happen. I asked for a neutral led and she called the factory. I asked for the SSX3 driver, she called the supplier, sent a picture and the specs. You asked for a Yinding combo with the battery box and she said yes.

My XML sample should be here tomorrow and I will post beam shots and pictures of it the next day. The XM-L2 sample should be here shortly after Christmas so the it's not a long wait for me to confirm. So I again I say wait to buy. We have insisted on quality now let's prove it first. This keeps everyone honest and happy.
    Last edited by GJHS; 12-16-2014 at 11:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to your post, hopefully tomorrow, before I place my order.

Thanks for all the legwork!
    Last edited by Ottoreni; 12-16-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    @ GJHS...Indeed, thanks for the legwork. Very important when dealing with the Chinese to be very careful in explaining things as some words in English don't translate well into Chinese. Adding photo's is paramount when addressing special requests or problems. Thankfully, you seem to understand this. I look forward to what the Gearbest people are able to come up with.

In the mean time I plan to contact the people at Kaidomain to see if they can come up with a replacement LED board for their "KD 2" lamp. They already supply the replacement driver/LED board but I want to see if they can get a "Neutral white" version. I've never made a request like this before to a Chinese website so I'm somewhat skeptical about how it will all go. Since others seem to have had some success from KD on getting the drivers it is my hope that adding my voice to the mix will help to get us another option with the neutral white LED's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ok you convinced me. I'll wait until you get the samples. Meanwhile, my gearbest x3 is on the slow boat to either the Netherlands or the USA. It's going somewhere, that's for sure.

Well, it looks like they might be offering a free Pannovo case for pre-orders. That might make it worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well, it looks like they might be offering a free Pannovo case for pre-orders. That might make it worth it.
    Now this is hot, for less than $30USD you get a real Yinding with real nice battery case...add in 4 good 18650 for $20 from fasttech and there you have a top quility light unit for $50

BTW, does anyne know what bin/tint does the (Yinding Clone)lightmall version comes with? I just recieved mine and they're quit white to my eyes, wondering if they are T6 1A or something else
    2xCree XM-L2 2500-Lumen With 3 group modes LED Bicycle Light Lamp(Lamp cap only) - 2LED Bike Light - LED Bicycle Lights - Bike Lights & Headlamps Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epic-gamer View Post
    ...BTW, does anyone know what bin/tint does the (Yinding Clone)lightmall version comes with? I just received mine and they're quite white to my eyes, wondering if they are T6 1A or something else
    2xCree XM-L2 2500-Lumen With 3 group modes LED Bicycle Light Lamp(Lamp cap only) - 2LED Bike Light - LED Bicycle Lights - Bike Lights & Headlamps Worldwide Free Shipping!!!
    It might be with XM-L2 U2 as the Lightmall's version looks very much like the ones sold by Kaidomain. ( KD2 is listed as using XM-L2 U2 ) Then again Lightmalls didn't list the bin so it could just be standard T6 and maybe 1A. Hopefully by Christmas I should have the KD2 version in my hands.

mtbr member
    Hopefully it turns out to be the same quality, if so, I'll be ordering one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Huh, color me impressed, I asked Dora for a combo with the battery box and she agreed. I didn't know that she would take it up a notch and included it for the same price. That really is a great deal, thanks Dora.

I know I may sound crazy here, yet I still reccomend waiting to order until I get the sample. I will ask her to throw in the case for those who wait on my reccomendation. It's only fair, I'm sure she will and I will confirm this before the presale ends. The XML version should be here today and as soon as the XM-L2 version is made, she will ship it to me fast. I'll be happy when it arrives, these super late night/A.M. conversations are tough. China time is 12 hours ahead of mine.

mtbr member
    @ GJHS...Indeed, thanks for the legwork. Very important when dealing with the Chinese to be very careful in explaining things as some words in English don't translate well into Chinese. Adding photo's is paramount when addressing special requests or problems. Thankfully, you seem to understand this. I look forward to what the Gearbest people are able to come up with.

In the mean time I plan to contact the people at Kaidomain to see if they can come up with a replacement LED board for their "KD 2" lamp. They already supply the replacement driver/LED board but I want to see if they can get a "Neutral white" version. I've never made a request like this before to a Chinese website so I'm somewhat skeptical about how it will all go. Since others seem to have had some success from KD on getting the drivers it is my hope that adding my voice to the mix will help to get us another option with the neutral white LED's.
    KD replied that they can do 4500K neutral LEDs. I asked them how we can order those.

Add that to the Ynding deal and the Pannovo box and I won't have to build lights from scratch for my friends much in future.

mtbr member
    KD replied that they can do 4500K neutral LEDs. I asked them how we can order those.

Add that to the Ynding deal and the Pannovo box and I won't have to build lights from scratch for my friends much in future.
    That's great! I just hope they stay in the XM-L2 format. Someone be sure to speak up when these are posted on their website. Looking forward to the other Gearbest options as well. Looks like I have to watch both this thread and the KD2 thread so I don't miss the updates.

Going forward, if all these things turn out good the name brand light makers are going to have to sit up and take notice of the fact that the people who buy their lamps want the option for warmer LED tints. A "switchable" LED board would make a great option for a bike light, not to mention a great selling point to draw sales. If Gloworm offered a switchable LED board for their lamps I would have been already on this!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok light has arrived. Now I know what the original group was saying, the quality is much better than Gen 2. For reference of my Gen 2, I ordered right before original supply ran out. I was told by FastTech not to cancel, they would build more and my order would be delayed. So basically I got the first of the cheaper Yindings.

I will post a review, disassembly and comparison tonight. Maybe I will take it for a ride and post some beam shots vs the SolarStorm X3 XM-L2 and the 2nd Gen. I already noticed the interface is different, the original steps gently up to each level and when you turn it off, slowly fades out. Not something I've seen before.

I'm going to apologize now since I won't be able to any current test. I will try to get a DMM for the XM-L2 version. This ones here for your questions so ask away, if I miss something. I'm happy to test what I can.

Oh and for those wondering: Yes, I see with these optics, it's definitely a bar light with a nice diffused beam.

mtbr member
    Ok light has arrived..... I already noticed the interface is different, the original steps gently up to each level and when you turn it off, slowly fades out. Not something I've seen before...
    This might be a good thing but depends. You need to compare it to the other versions to see if it is as bright. I figure it's quite possible that they are using the same driver chip as is used in the Manta Ray D003 which also does the slow-fade-mode-change thing. That said you might want to check it to see if it also has the 10 level sub menu which the D003 also happens to have. If it has the additional sub menu than likely this is all a big plus. It could be the Gearbest people are aware of the KD2 and want this lamp to offer the same frills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This might be a good thing but depends. You need to compare it to the other versions to see if it is as bright. I figure it's quite possible that they are using the same driver chip as is used in the Manta Ray D003 which also does the slow-fade-mode-change thing. That said you might want to check it to see if it also has the 10 level sub menu which the D003 also happens to have. If it has the additional sub menu than likely this is all a big plus. It could be the Gearbest people are aware of the KD2 and want this lamp to offer the same frills.
    It's as bright as my Gen 2. Menu wise it's L-M-H and a hold activates a slow steady blinking mode. How is the 10 levels step activated?

mtbr member
    It's as bright as my Gen 2. Menu wise it's L-M-H and a hold activates a slow steady blinking mode. How is the 10 levels step activated?
    Hold the button on any mode for about 10 seconds- it will turn off then will light in the lowest of 10 steps. A short click moves up to the next step. A lo-o-ong press turns the light off, then if you keep holding it goes back on with the level you selected now saved for that setting.

If it does that it'll be just about there, except for the tint on the first batch.
    Last edited by Ofroad'bent; 12-17-2014 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sorry to report, holding the button in any mode including off activates the blinking mode.

mtbr member
    I had a hard time explaining the programming, GJHS.
    Here's what ledoman wrote about the KD one, in case the driver is the same:

it has three modes (mode 1, 2, 3 - see downwards)
    short press turns the light on in 1st mode
    every next short press you gradualy cycle through all three modes (gradualy changing the brightness)
    long press about 2 seconds turns the light off
    no last mode memory
    it has hiden flash, you can turn it on when light is off by presing switch for about two seconds. With long press you turn flash off, when flashing with short press you put the light into 1st mode

now the cherry on the cake - You can set any of three modes choosing from 10 levels of brightness
    very long press (about 8s) in any of three modes set yellow status light flashing
    short press to cycle through 10 levels of brightness. On chosen level very looooong press until light turns off and on again sets you brightness level for that mode
    repeat this for all modes you want to set

mtbr member
    Sorry to report, holding the button in any mode including off activates the blinking mode.
    Okay, no problem. Thought maybe you might of gotten lucky. Good to hear that its the same brightness.

mtbr member
    I just preordered the headless version since I already thought about building the battery pack myself.
    Question is, where do I get a fitting female connector?

mtbr member
    I'm not a light guy, but reading through this thread has made me excited. I've been looking for an upgrade to my current setup, and it sounds like this just might be it.

As a request, when it comes time to order, can someone please explain the order options in pain English? I would need a complete setup, but it sounds like there are varying opinions on how to get the best setup (for instance, buying batteries or battery pack elsewhere?).

I don't know anything about the numbers and letters associated with the LEDs and batteries, so I'll basically trust the recommendation I get here.

I'll probably be in for two.

Edit: this is my current light's battery pack. Would it be compatible with this package?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    I'm not a light guy, but reading through this thread has made me excited. I've been looking for an upgrade to my current setup, and it sounds like this just might be it.

As a request, when it comes time to order, can someone please explain the order options in pain English? I would need a complete setup, but it sounds like there are varying opinions on how to get the best setup (for instance, buying batteries or battery pack elsewhere?).

I don't know anything about the numbers and letters associated with the LEDs and batteries, so I'll basically trust the recommendation I get here.

I'll probably be in for two.

Edit: this is my current light's battery pack. Would it be compatible with this package?
    If you just want simplicity, you could get the one with battery
    Yinding 900 Lumens CREE XM L2 2 LEDs 4 Modes Headlight Cycling Lamp Set ( 4 x 18650 Battery Pack )-41.42 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    everything you need to get the light shining , plus you get a case as a bouns if you even plan on using seperate 18650 cells later down the road

The reason why we perfer Head unit + case is becuase the quaility of the included battery pack is a hit or miss. Having a case let us use high quaility 18650 cells that give longer runtime and brighter output throughout its cycle

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	947637
    Yes, it is compatible. That is also an "Open Light Systems " battery so it is likely a good battery depending on how old it is.

If you want to use the included "battery box" with the lamp being offered you will need 4 separate 18650 Li-ion cells and a means to charge them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epic-gamer View Post
    If you just want simplicity, you could get the one with battery
    Yinding 900 Lumens CREE XM L2 2 LEDs 4 Modes Headlight Cycling Lamp Set ( 4 x 18650 Battery Pack )-41.42 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    everything you need to get the light shining , plus you get a case as a bouns if you even plan on using seperate 18650 cells later down the road

The reason why we perfer Head unit + case is becuase the quaility of the included battery pack is a hit or miss. Having a case let us use high quaility 18650 cells that give longer runtime and brighter output throughout its cycle
    Thanks for the reply. The included batteries are 2000mah. Does the battery affect the brightness? If so, should I hold out for better batteries?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok everyone, Step 1: Beam shots
    I tried to take advantage of a warmish night to get some comparison shots of the New "Original" Yinding XML vs my 2013 Gen 2 Yinding XML. The original has optics, while the Gen 2 uses reflectors.

Since its use as bar light has been discussed, I added some shots of the custom SolarStorm X3 XM-L2 and combined some shots with the Solarstorm XT40 XM-L2 mounted on my helmet. I used the MTBR camera settings and my Sony Nex-3. Hope these help.

2013 Gen 2 Yinding XML on High
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-gen-2-high-1.jpg
    New "Original" Yinding XML on High
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-original-high-1.jpg
    SSX3 XM-L2 on High
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-ssx3-high-1.jpg
    2013 Gen 2 on High with XT40 Helmet mounted on High
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-gen-2-xt40-helmet-1.jpg
    New "Original" on High with XT40 Helmet mounted on High
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-original-xt40-helmet-1.jpg
    SSX3 on High with XT40 Helmet mounted on High
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-x3-xt40-helmet-1.jpg

2013 Gen 2 Yinding XML on High
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-gen-2-high-2.jpg
    New "Original" Yinding XML on High
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-original-high-2.jpg
    SSX3 XM-L2 on High
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-ssx3-high-2.jpg
    2013 Gen 2 XML on High with XT40 Helmet mounted on High
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-gen-2-xt40-helmet-2.jpg
    New "Original" XML on High with XT40 Helmet mounted on High
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-original-xt40-helmet-2.jpg
    SSX3 XM-L2 on High with XT40 Helmet mounted on High
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-ssx3-xt40-helmet-2.jpg
    Last edited by GJHS; 12-18-2014 at 12:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. The included batteries are 2000mah. Does the battery affect the brightness? If so, should I hold out for better batteries?
    What epic-gamer said. No, it shouldn't. It will effect run time though. Personally if it were me I wouldn't buy with the included battery.

If you want to order some good cells I would suggest looking at this link and then use it as a starting point. I highly recommend using either Panasonic or Samsung cells with Sanyo as a close third. Since you will have a box with a protection circuit built in I also suggest buying "unprotected cells" which are generally a bit less expensive.

Since you already have a 4 cell charger you should be able to charge the battery box with your current charger. Of course the other option is to buy a 4-bay 18650 Li-ion charger which will top all the cells off to max. A good *4-bay charger is about $25. ( *couldn't find the good brand name ones' in stock but this is an example ) of what I'm talking about. ) Either that or buy two 2-bay cheapies which will usually work fine and cost half as much.

There are other questions about the battery boxes that I can't answer, particularly when it comes to how they mount on the frame of your bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the beamshots GJHS. The original looks pretty sweet. It looks almost as bright as the Gearbest Solarstorm X3 and way better than the Gen 2. People who bought that really got worked over.

That X3/XT40 is a killer combo, but two Yindings with the new xm-l2's might be almost as good. Plus the Yindings are very small in comparison and the optics are easily replaceable. We'll have to wait and see once you get the sample.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    People who bought that really got worked over.
    Thanks I feel better about it now. The funny part is the Gen 2 is a good light until you compare it.

The SSX3 is definitely a good amount brighter with more throw. I was testing it out on my helmet and it was just as bright as the XT40 with a more defined hotspot. I also rode the original on the bars with the XT40 on the helmet and then the SSX3 on bars with the XT40 and there was a big difference. Both are great combos and the original with XML really impressed me. That much light out of this tiny light is amazing and the beam is so smooth. I'm just not sure, even with two, you will get enough throw for the high speed stuff.
    Last edited by GJHS; 12-17-2014 at 11:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Ok everyone, Step 1: Beam shots
    I tried to take advantage of a warmish night to get some comparison shots of the Original Yinding XML vs my Gen 2 Yinding XML. The original has optics, while the Gen 2 uses reflectors.
    **OH NO! Reflectors? I'm trying to figure out how it could have reflectors if it's a Yinding. Still, the beam pattern looks useful. I need to see how deep the reflectors are. Can you supply a photo of the front of the new lamp? Add to that can you show what medium and low look like?

**Edit...Oh cat farts...I thought the Gen two was the NEW lamp! I guess I'm wrong about that. Looking at the photos I was expecting to see an example of the NEW Yinding. "Me'sa sorry for tinking the wrong ting".

Skipping ahead; You supply some real nice beam photos
    To people who might not know, the photos showing these lamps in combo with the XT40 helmet mounted are HIGHLY representative of what you will actually see.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok I just looked closer and they're not reflectors on the Gen 2. They are optics with a clear view of the emitters, sorry about that. I will post pictures of them tomorrow. My Gen 2 came perfect and has been working great for the last year. After reading of all the stripped front screws of the clones, I havent wanted to take it apart. I will completely disassemble the new "original" which definitely has the proper dimpled optics and take comparison pictures of both. So far there is not one thing that they have in common except the emitters.

Um Low? Medium? Ha Ha I thought that last time I took beam shots, it was too much info and decided this time that I would just take pictures on High. I had a moment of doubt and thought nah nobody will want Low and Medium. Note to self: take all levels for the XM-L2 version.

Thanks for the compliment CatManDo, it's a bit of a juggling act holding the bike up, pointing the light on your helmet in the right spot and taking a long explore photo at the same time. I'm glad they came out OKI think I need an assistant for my next try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What epic-gamer said. No, it shouldn't. It will effect run time though. Personally if it were me I wouldn't buy with the included battery.

If you want to order some good cells I would suggest looking at this link and then use it as a starting point. I highly recommend using either Panasonic or Samsung cells with Sanyo as a close third. Since you will have a box with a protection circuit built in I also suggest buying "unprotected cells" which are generally a bit less expensive.

Since you already have a 4 cell charger you should be able to charge the battery box with your current charger. Of course the other option is to buy a 4-bay 18650 Li-ion charger which will top all the cells off to max. A good *4-bay charger is about $25. ( *couldn't find the good brand name ones' in stock but this is an example ) of what I'm talking about. ) Either that or buy two 2-bay cheapies which will usually work fine and cost half as much.

There are other questions about the battery boxes that I can't answer, particularly when it comes to how they mount on the frame of your bike.
    +1 about which cells brand to choose. There are also LG and Sony to consider.

Regarding charger I would use the 8.4V charger and from time to time fully charge cells in separate but consistent charger to balance the cells. I doesn't need to be 4bay one. 2 bay is suffcient if you do it few times a year. With good brand cells there won't be much need to do this frequently.

In a few days I'll try to publish review of that particular battery box from Gearbest and Kaidomain. Until then ... mount can be done using quite wide strap included. Haven't try it yet, though.

mtbr member
    ..Ok I just looked closer and they're not reflectors on the Gen 2. They are optics with a clear view of the emitters, sorry about that. I will post pictures of them tomorrow. My Gen 2 came perfect and has been working great for the last year....
    Probably TIR optics. That's okay, I'm just interested in the new one you have, how well it works and how it compares to the original. Why don't we call it, "Gen3" to avoid any further confusion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    GJHS, many thanks for your finding & sharing the information with us!

I've planned to add Yinding to my "collection" of lights for some time - although initial version was offered as a bundle with battery only, so I've waited for stand-alone package, but then it was replaced by clones of questionable quality everywhere, so I've dropped the idea of buying it.

Now your very useful information allowed me to restore old plan. GearBest's pre-sale campaign will be ending soon, so I've crossed the fingers and placed the order. In any case, even the light itself will be not as good as very first samples, included battery case will justify the price anyway.

Thank you very much, and Merry Christmas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks Archie, a Merry Christmas to you as well.

Ok as promised, I asked Dora at GearBest last night to include the battery box for those who wait and not just for presale. She agreed, so if you wait to confirm quality before buying, as you should, you have one week after I post my review of the new Yinding XM-L2 to order and still get the battery box free.

Guys, I say it again: many many Thanks to Dora for her work on this. Sure they want to sell lights, yet how many have been so kind and receptive? Trust me this hasn't been just a simple can you find this light, Ok, here ya go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for your hard work GJHS, I thought i'd missed out on the decent Yindings and was put off by the reports of low quality clones. Anyway, I've taken a chance and placed a pre-order for 2 light-heads. It should be a nice upgrade from my MS clones

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So I placed an order for head unit + gift to make a direct comparison to first original YD with XML2 T63B tint.

I like turtles
    That's great! I just hope they stay in the XM-L2 format. Someone be sure to speak up when these are posted on their website. Looking forward to the other Gearbest options as well. Looks like I have to watch both this thread and the KD2 thread so I don't miss the updates.

Going forward, if all these things turn out good the name brand light makers are going to have to sit up and take notice of the fact that the people who buy their lamps want the option for warmer LED tints. A "switchable" LED board would make a great option for a bike light, not to mention a great selling point to draw sales. If Gloworm offered a switchable LED board for their lamps I would have been already on this!
    I think that is a great idea..I thought Action was going to do something similar but apparently it didn't pan out.

I like turtles
    For the SS battery box, does this have the right connector for the Yinding (standard MS type) or does it have the SS threaded type? What a great deal..lighthead and box for under $30 delivered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For the SS battery box, does this have the right connector for the Yinding (standard MS type) or does it have the SS threaded type?
    Threaded SS type, but I don't see problem to connect MS type.

I like turtles
    Crap...that stinks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks Archie, a Merry Christmas to you as well.

Ok as promised, I asked Dora at GearBest last night to include the battery box for those who wait and not just for presale. She agreed, so if you wait to confirm quality before buying, as you should, you have one week after I post my review of the new Yinding XM-L2 to order and still get the battery box free.

Guys, I say it again: many many Thanks to Dora for her work on this. Sure they want to sell lights, yet how many have been so kind and receptive? Trust me this hasn't been just a simple can you find this light, Ok, here ya go.
    OK...maybe I took stupid pills this morning....but how do I order the light + battery box.
    I have gone through all 6 pages and don't see a link?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    OK...maybe I took stupid pills this morning....but how do I order the light + battery box.
    Seriously?

Meant to add Yinding 900 Lumens CREE XM L2 2 LEDs 4 Modes Headlight Cycling Lamp Set ( 4 x 18650 Battery Pack )-41.42 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com from post 115.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You wait till I get my sample, test it, then buy. You will still get the battery box

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks....I should have been more specific and asked for the one without the battery.
    And ...I was having a cache problem because the link wasn.t showing the battery case.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You wait till I get my sample, test it, then buy. You will still get the battery box
    So...what's the deal with the link bhocewar provided?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So...what's the deal with the link bhocewar provided?
    You can preorder and as a gift, get the free battery box. Last night I asked Dora to extend the deal to those who decide to wait to see the quality. She agreed to include the free battery box to people who order one week after I do the review of the XM-L2.

I'm going to dissambled the XML Yinding that came yesterday and post pictures. I can already say that it's quality and definitely way better than my Gen 2. I trust Dora, she is asking to review it because this is the first time dealing with the Yinding factory.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You can preorder and as a gift, get the free battery box. Last night I asked Dora to extend the deal to those who decide to wait to see the quality. She agreed to include the free battery box to people who order one week after I do the review of the XM-L2.

I'm going to dissambled the XML Yinding that came yesterday and post pictures. I can already say that it's quality and definitely way better than my Gen 2. I trust Dora, she is asking to review it because this is the first time dealing with the Yinding factory.
    OK...thanks.

I like turtles
    I somehow sense that the Yinding "factory" is a single room in an apartment...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    As most factories and sellers in China.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    If I got it right it is supposed to look like this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    thanks for the great beamshots GJHS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Okay Step 2: Disassembled Photos

Here are the disassembled pictures of the New "Original" Yinding. I am happy to report that the quality is as good as last years original Yindings. I will also say that there is not one part that is the same as my 2013 Gen 2 Yinding. Dora mentioned that the Yinding factory said that they didnt change the quality, which means last year, the sellers found cheaper quality clones to sell without telling us and as the months went on, they got cheaper and cheaper. That was my last FastTech purchase.

Here are the two side by side. As you can see everything is different including the optics, the mount and the connector.
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-dsc00079.jpg
    The 2013 Gen 2 has flat optics, a mount that is not made for this light, since its bigger than the light and a non waterproof connector.
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-dsc00073.jpg
    Looking at the New "Original" you can see the dimpled optics, held in by two allen screws with nice threads that hold tight, and a click together Magicshine connector
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-dsc00064.jpg
    With the New "Original" front cover taken off you can see the two XML emitters, exchangeable optics and the waterproof gasket.
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-dsc00080.jpg
    With the pill out you can see they added thermal paste which has now dried up.
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-pills.jpg
    Here's the driver. It has a fade up and fade off interface.
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-dsc00089.jpgOriginal/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-dsc00096.jpg

Everything looks just as it supposed to be. In a week, the XM-L2 will arrive and I am sure it will be of the same standard. Thank you Dora, great find.

I like turtles
    Also, it appears that the new/old version has a nice short cable...I hate extra long cables!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice teardown pictures.

Should the thermal paste be dry? I always thought it stayed wet unless it was run for many hours.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    GJHS, thanks a lot for your effort. Can you make some more clear closeup pictures of a driver. I can't see all elements very well.
    It looks to ime it has LEDA chip and sense resistor R100 which means 2.5A to the leds. Better pictures would prove it. Also it seems to me there can be thermal protection on the driver, but can't read elements good enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sure, hows this?
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-driver-2-closeup.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes, thanks, it's a bit better. Still not perfect ;-) but I can read LEDA on 6 leg chip. This proves feedback voltage is 0.25V and 0.25/0.100 = 2.5A to the leds. Nice!

Thermal protection elements are on the other side. Would love to have good macro picture of it, too. Bit more detailed than the last one, please.

BTW, can you prove the small oring under the light mount? As I can recall there should be the one in the original Yinding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Here ya go. Let me apologize in advance, it's late and I'm afraid this is the best I can do. I used a very sharp manual lens and I'm not sure I can pull more detail out
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found-dsc00096-closeup.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It is good enough, thanks. It looks to me leftmost three elements in a group are composing thermal protection since thermistors doesn't have any markings on it. Can you work with Dora to ask the factory if this is true and the circuit does have thermal protection?

Also, can you prove the small oring under the light mount? As I can recall there should be the one in the original Yinding. You can do it tomorrow if it's to late ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Guys I'm sorry, there has been a misunderstanding. Dora said she can't extend the free battery box past the presale, which ends on the 22nd. So if you want that deal, you will have to gamble that the XM-L2 is the same quality as the XML above and buy presale. Dora asked the factory and they said the quality, parts and construction are the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Was waiting but given your advice, I just pulled the trigger on the presale.

Will add this one to my collection as well

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    XM-L2 U2 1A as in the same one found in KD/Lightmall version?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanphi500 View Post
    Was waiting but given your advice, I just pulled the trigger on the presale.

Will add this one to my collection as well
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, Dora will check the initial quality and basically check everything except for what's inside before they're sent out. I'm really excited to see how much brighter the XM-L2 is. The XML combined with the XT40 was awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Can someone straight this out. At the first page of this tread is said gearbest has wrong emitters listed and it will be fixed. Is that text fixed now, or is "xml2" still wrong and the lamp will have xml emitters instead? In other words, what emitters I am supposed to get if I pull the presale trigger now? XML or XML2? If it is XML, will XML2 version be available soon?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ... I'm really excited to see how much brighter the XM-L2 is. ....
    GJHS, I think you won't see much difference by naked eye if any. XM-L has lower Vf than XM-L2, but is less efficient. This makes very little difference at exactly the same led bin which, btw, has variance +/- 7%. This means in extreme situation they can be 14% apart in any direction. What makes XM-L2 more valuable is efficiency and they are more sturdy. It happend to me XM-L2 has unsoldered itself because of the heat but it still worked when I put it back. I have no idea how long has been exposed to high temperature. Of course the lifetime would be probably shorter.

@ XCJagge, you'll be getting XM-L2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by XCJagge View Post
    Can someone straight this out. At the first page of this tread is said gearbest has wrong emitters listed and it will be fixed. Is that text fixed now, or is "xml2" still wrong and the lamp will have xml emitters instead? In other words, what emitters I am supposed to get if I pull the presale trigger now? XML or XML2? If it is XML, will XML2 version be available soon?
    XM-L2 is correct, it was originally listed as XML. They should be ready in the next few days as I understand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    GJHS, I think you won't see much difference by naked eye if any. XM-L has lower Vf than XM-L2, but is less efficient. This makes very little difference at exactly the same led bin which, btw, has variance +/- 7%. This means in extreme situation they can be 14% apart in any direction. What makes XM-L2 more valuable is efficiency and they are more sturdy. It happend to me XM-L2 has unsoldered itself because of the heat but it still worked when I put it back. I have no idea how long has been exposed to high temperature. Of course the lifetime would be probably shorter.

@ XCJagge, you'll be getting XM-L2.
    Thanks Ledoman, I myself have been really happy with the XML, so any improvement will be great. I'm also glad to see this light getting upgraded and not just getting old.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Guys I'm sorry, there has been a misunderstanding. Dora said she can't extend the free battery box past the presale, which ends on the 22nd.
    But attention. If you want more than one make separate orders... I ordered more than one but they want to send me only one battery box...

I like turtles
    All for a $38 light.......

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Guys I'm sorry, there has been a misunderstanding. Dora said she can't extend the free battery box past the presale, which ends on the 22nd. So if you want that deal, you will have to gamble that the XM-L2 is the same quality as the XML above and buy presale. Dora asked the factory and they said the quality, parts and construction are the same.
    Hmmm....now the listings no longer have the "free gift" battery boxes on them???

I like turtles
    I wonder if we added up what each person in this thread makes per hour (including benefits etc.) times the hours spent on this thread/researching this light, tearing it down, taking pictures, etc.....the Duo at $115 is looking pretty comparable

Just having fun of course.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I wonder if we added up what each person in this thread makes per hour (including benefits etc.) times the hours spent on this thread/researching this light, tearing it down, taking pictures, etc.....the Duo at $115 is looking pretty comparable

It makes for a great resume boast, too.
    Apparently, anyone with a cell phone camera and a screw driver can add "Thermo / Electrical Engineer" to their resume.
    I KEED...I KEED!
    I love reading the techno geek stuff here.

mtbr member
    What happened to the bundle deal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hmmm....now the listings no longer have the "free gift" battery boxes on them???
    I was just going to post that, went to order 2 lights, 1 single light unit with free battery case and 1 complete light/charger etc with free battery case. Free battery case no longer included just the normal shrink wrapped battery in a bag now. I should have bought them last night when I saw the teardown pics. Curses, foiled .

Anyway, thanks to GJHS for all his effort in doing this. I now know the Duo clone I bought last year wasn't one of the first "proper" ones, works great though. Will probably still buy 2 of these before the cut off date of the 22nd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I'm sorry the other night, after taking photos, I was riding back to my car with the Yinding on the bars and the XT40 on my helmet. I passed two guys walking their dogs on that same wide road in the photos, both were pushing themselves against the side of the road as if a train was coming. When I got up to them, one said "That's a bright light you got there". Knowing I have 4000 lumens for $80 makes the few hours spent worth it, not that any of them would be considered work

Hmm wait though, you have a point: if I didn't share the deal, I wouldn't have to take photos, nor take my lights apart and spend hours on the forum, hmmm. Na nevermind I like to share, you guys are awesome

I quit e-MTBR
    For those new to the party, here again are links to this light:

With Battery

Without
    Yinding 900 Lumens CREE XM L2 2 LEDs 4-Modes Headlight Cycling Lamp (4 x 18650 Battery Pack)-28.52 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

And how is it that GJHS still has so little rep after the amazing work he's (she's?) done in this thread? Rep up.

mtbr member

Asked to wait to get the shaft????

Went to place my order this morning, and now no free battery box offered? I thought the offer was through 12/22?

Dang, after being asked to wait repeatedly for the review before placing the order, they take away the free gift.

Sorry, but that is not cool.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What happened to the bundle deal?
    Ok you want to know what was Too much work? This battery box deal. Last night I went to bed super late, as you can see by my posts, trying to work that deal out. I was trying to extend it for those who wanted to wait. Dora said it was ok the other night then last night explained, nicely that she preferred to keep her job. I agreed with her.

I don't know what happened to the deal. Last night at 4 am it was still there and since today is Saturday, I'm afraid I won't be able to talk with her until Sunday night, their Monday morning. Sorry guys for the hassle.
    Last edited by GJHS; 12-19-2014 at 10:05 AM.

mtbr member
    This Dora lady is beginning to sound really sketchy.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    Went to place my order this morning, and now no free battery box offered? I thought the offer was through 12/22?

Dang, after being asked to wait repeatedly for the review before placing the order, they take away the free gift.

Yeah, it's outrageous! How dare they sell a nice-quality light, bend over backwards to confirm the quality, charge us $40 bucks shipped, and not include a battery box. It's a total rip-off! I blame GJHS for not spending enough time communicating with Gearbest and posting here.

Stop whining. It's a deal. You're not a victim.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Ultimately the blame is mine and I'm sorry. Hopefully there was a glitch, since just a few hours ago she said the deal is on till the 22nd. I just won't be able to talk with her until Sunday night. After several conversations about it,

I would say (my opinion) presale if you want the deal and you should still get the box or should I say that's the only way to have any hope of getting the box. If it was a glitch then the presalers should still get the deal with the box.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This Dora lady is beginning to sound really sketchy.
    Wait wait, let me understand this. She listened, found the light, researched it, upgraded it for us, put it on sale much lower than any other seller, who by the way is selling clones, then when we requested a "combo" with the battery box, threw it in for free?

Now after after a week of everything being great, there is a glitch that took away a $10 box?

Definitely she sounds really sketchy!

Seriously?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have waited.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My opinion here

If you still want the deal with the box, preorder NOW. She said it was good last night so some mistake must have happened. When I can, I will write and fix it with her. After several conversations with her about it already, you should still receive the box. Don't wait

If you don't receive it and you think that she deceived you, which she didn't just cancel your order. No money is taken from your account on the presale until the light comes in and it shouldn't come in before Sunday night when I talk to her.

Either way you're safe.

mtbr member
    Ordered. Hopefully the box deal comes through, but either way it's a great deal.

mtbr member
    Wait wait, let me understand this. She listened, found the light, researched it, upgraded it for us, put it on sale much lower than any other seller, who by the way is selling clones, then when we requested a "combo" with the battery box, threw it in for free?

Now after after a week of everything being great, there is a glitch that took away a $10 box?

Seriously?
    +1 Well said!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    And how is it that GJHS still has so little rep after the amazing work he's (she's?) done in this thread? Rep up.
    Thank you

P.S. (he)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No worries. I placed my preorder just now, and I think I probably will not get the case. No big deal. I think they may have made a mistake offering a $12 item for free with a $28 item. It seems they might be cutting into their profits quite a bit. If they throw it in for free that would be amazing, but I doubt that this will happen.

I was cursing myself mainly, because that deal was too good to be true and you have to jump on it while it's still active. That's slickdeals rule number #1. (Rule #2 is don't call the store, lol)

At $28 it's still an amazing deal and I would urge anyone who wants this light to buy it now before the presale expires. I think the price will rise to $35-$40 after the initial batch is sent out.

Also I paid the extra $3 for singapore post plus a tracking number. That free Netherlands shipping blows. The tracking number shows pre-advised for two weeks and I think it's on the slow boat to the Netherlands.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I think they may have made a mistake offering a $12 item for free with a $28 item. It seems they might be cutting into their profits quite a bit. If they throw it in for free that would be amazing, but I doubt that this will happen.
    Let's see. Even without the box, it's still very attractive deal anyway IMHO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Definitely +1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    Definitely +1.
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    How much higher fV XM-L2 has compared to XML? It may make hard to stay in regulation for example with extension cable. If difference is significant I might actually find the XML version more practical. XM-L2 is not that bright without the amperage. Makes me wonder would those XML ones be available any longer.

My gen 2 version did not stay in regulation at all with its original battery pack. The 2 cell pack I mostly stayed there for 50 minutes, that pack would not work too well with any higher vf.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    GJHS, there is always someone who doesn't feel it right whatever you do. I understand how someone can feel if all of sudden deal is gone, but this is happening all the time elsewere. Dora is doing very well, but she has budget with some limits I would say.

Can you compare your sample with bhocewar's one posted at Wallbuys -> HERE? If it has oring under the mount then it has to be geniue for shure, I think. None later version that I know haven't had that ring.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's outrageous! How dare they sell a nice-quality light, bend over backwards to confirm the quality, charge us $40 bucks shipped, and not include a battery box. It's a total rip-off! I blame GJHS for not spending enough time communicating with Gearbest and posting here.

Stop whining. It's a deal. You're not a victim.

Wow, who took a piss in your porridge?

You better read over my response.

Then address what I said.

Leave all the bitterness in your head!

Cheers!

mtbr member

Seriously?
    Wait, wait, let me clarify myself.

First I appreciate what you have done with this light. Please do not get me wrong. I hope everything turns out for the best.

My comment is based on my past experience dealing with the far east.

Quick synopsis.

In the past 15 plus years dealing with products from that area, when situations go soar, it seems to follow the same formula.

Manufacturer/ seller starts off super nice, understand everything perfectly.

Then somehow, mysteriously, the language becomes an issue and misunderstandings begin to occur. This language thing starts to become an issue/excuse, that it never was in the WEEKS prior.

I hope I am wrong.

Regardless, you have done a great job here and it is commendable. Thank you!

Hoping for the best!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by XCJagge View Post
    How much higher fV XM-L2 has compared to XML? It may make hard to stay in regulation for example with extension cable. If difference is significant I might actually find the XML version more practical. XM-L2 is not that bright without the amperage. Makes me wonder would those XML ones be available any longer.

My gen 2 version did not stay in regulation at all with its original battery pack. The 2 cell pack I mostly stayed there for 50 minutes, that pack would not work too well with any higher vf.
    The difference is not very big, but it can count if you have several leds in series Then the driver has to work harder to raise the voltage to amount needed at certain current.

For staying in regulation for longer time I would suggest you to get 18650 cells with higher voltage curve like Sanyo or alternatively 4.35V cells if you can charge them so high. LG18650 D1 for example has one of the highest curves in that class.

Next very important thing is cable and connector. At higher currents there can be significant voltage drop on thin wires. Tipical Magicshine connectors were designed for single led light MJ-880 with low current. The connectors can have significan resistance too. Taking all this into account it can lead into premature end of regulation. I've experienced 0.5V drop or even more on 6x XM-L led light getting red status light already at first 1/4 of capacity.

Since this Yindig has short cable I would not change it (resistance is dependable on thicknes (AWG) and lenght of wire x2 - to the light and back), but would consider having thicker one down to the battery pack. On particular 6x XM-L I'll also change the connector.

I hope you got the point. Every bit can count .... The first thing to do is getting good battery cells. Stock battery packs are often quite poor with big voltage drop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Having previous experience on three lights and a few DashCams with GearBest and I truly believe everything will be great and Dora did a lot more than any other seller so far..

The only issue here is a free gift that was never part of the deal in the first place, was later included and now is gone three days early. The speculation as to why it is no longer shown is now unnecessarily souring the deal. Save final judgement for when I find out why. I think it's because originally the presale was supposed to end today and it's a date glitch.

Keep in mind, that GearBest has some risk in this too. If people get cheap crap, goodbye GearBest. So far their custom XT40 was great and sold well here and so was their custom X3. With both, people said they wouldn't be good, Chinese sellers, clones etc etc. yet they were wrong.

I have to end by saying that the Yinding sample they sent is a sweet light battery box or not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Can you compare your sample with bhocewar's one posted at Wallbuys -> HERE? If it has oring under the mount then it has to be geniue for shure, I think. None later version that I know haven't had that ring.
    Thank you

Ok I disassembled the mount and yes there are two O rings, a black one between the body and the mount and a red one between the screw and the mount.

mtbr member
    Wait, wait, let me clarify myself.

First I appreciate what you have done with this light. Please do not get me wrong. I hope everything turns out for the best.

My comment is based on my past experience dealing with the far east.

Quick synopsis.

In the past 15 plus years dealing with products from that area, when situations go soar, it seems to follow the same formula.

Manufacturer/ seller starts off super nice, understand everything perfectly.

Then somehow, mysteriously, the language becomes an issue and misunderstandings begin to occur. This language thing starts to become an issue/excuse, that it never was in the WEEKS prior.

I hope I am wrong.

Regardless, you have done a great job here and it is commendable. Thank you!

Hoping for the best!
    Yes, I can agree to all that you said but for the most part we just have to sit back and see how everything goes. As for the battery box going away, that might have been an advertising mistake from the beginning as it wasn't part of the original deal that was being worked on by GJHS. I figure that anyone that gets the box can count themselves lucky.

Now as to whether or not all of the rest of the deal works out you will just have to wait to see how it all plays out. I'm not going to buy one myself but if I were I would order it now. I figure in the future this lamp might very well go away without warning. I would look at it as a group buy and that means you buy it while it's still being offered. The sooner you jump on it the better.

Another thing to factor in; How long it will take to receive these is another question. I see no date promised on just when these will start to ship. Hopefully the people who pre-ordered will get theirs BEFORE the Chinese New Year thing comes around.

mtbr member
    Ordered one to play with, and if the battery box shows up as well- bonus.

I was going to wait until KD listed a neutral white 10-step driver, but this price is peanuts if the light is decently made. Thanks GJHS for all the hard work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thank you

Ok I disassembled the mount and yes there are two O rings, a black one between the body and the mount and a red one between the screw and the mount.
    Then we are on very good path to receive the geniue product. Nice feeling

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Based on the pics that I saw, it is the same as the original Yinding, but with newer driver.
    Beside the gasket, dimpled lenses, MS connector...you can also confirm the originality by looking the cable seal on the body.
    You will find out, that original Yinding has a much nicer seal.

GJHS
    You should also check the voltage when the indicator light goes from green to red, and when it start to flash.
    I had a few not original YD that the indicator had gone red after 15min running on high, but the battery was still almost full.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    GJHS
    You should also check the voltage when the indicator light goes from green to red, and when it start to flash.
    I had a few not original YD that the indicator had gone red after 15min running on high, but the battery was still almost full.
    I can do a run test, no problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Next very important thing is cable and connector. At higher currents there can be significant voltage drop on thin wires. Tipical Magicshine connectors were designed for single led light MJ-880 with low current. The connectors can have significan resistance too. Taking all this into account it can lead into premature end of regulation. I've experienced 0.5V drop or even more on 6x XM-L led light getting red status light already at first 1/4 of capacity.
    I wonder how much of a factor (in terms of resistance) the connector itself is. I remember reading a long time ago in the RC car world that people switched to the Dean connectors over tamiya connectors because they had very low resistance. That's a fuzzy memory though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I wonder how much of a factor (in terms of resistance) the connector itself is. I remember reading a long time ago in the RC car world that people switched to the Dean connectors over tamiya connectors because they had very low resistance. That's a fuzzy memory though.
    You are correct. I was advised to use Dean connectors with 6x XM-L ligts which had regulated driver and current runt as high as 6A as voltage went down on battery pack. This resulted in driver fall back to low mode prematurely. As I've been told there at DX forum (page 20, posted by desolder) the resistance can be around 100mOhm or more.
    The resistance has much influence on higher currents. It's not so important on low modes, shurely it is on high, that's why you can get red status light to soon. Of course it depends on battery cells too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok Guys, I sent Dora an email so she would get it Monday. She must have checked her email and wrote me. She was going to fix the free box offer and then realized her boss canceled the offer last night. He must have looked at the offer, thought it was too low and cancelled it. I'm guessing with the other sellers, listing the Yinding clones for $50, she gave us a really good price, that with the free box was too low. Needless to say she may be in trouble.

To make up for the mistake, Dora gave me a coupon to use for those who didn't get the box and who still want to buy. The coupon is "Yinding"

Light Head (Yinding 900 Lumens CREE XM L2 2 LEDs 4-Modes Headlight Cycling Lamp (4 x 18650 Battery Pack)-28.52 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com) $24.02

Complete Set with Battery (Yinding 900 Lumens CREE XM L2 2 LEDs 4 Modes Headlight Cycling Lamp Set ( 4 x 18650 Battery Pack )-41.42 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com) $38.04.

The Battery Box seperate (Solarstorm New 2S2P 8.4V 2000mAh Dual Water-resistant 4 x 18650 External Battery Pack for Bicycle Light Digital Device-12.58 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com) use coupon New2S2P to get it for $9.99.

If you want the light, buy NOW before the Coupon ends, maybe on their Monday morning, I'm not sure when. You will have to buy before the XM-L2 sample comes and is reviewed. I believe you will also have to cancel your order and repurchase if you already bought it. If you have the free box already and use the coupon you will lose the free box.

Monday morning, I will do my best to confirm with her that everything on the outside is still right before the lights are sent out. I should get the sample light after Christmas, will disassemble it that same day and get beam shots out fast. Oh and Ledoman will also get a sample so you have two reviews and more in depth current draw readings. I can do no more.

Ok do I deserve some Rep Up now?
    Last edited by GJHS; 12-19-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast