Opinions on these lights?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

RAKC
    IMHO you can do better for the money, I have one thats in pieces now because the driver failed not long after purchase. Found when I opened it that it had gotten wet inside (based on everything being corroded) but the light had never seen a drop of rain from new, not a drop of any moisture.

That said, will they work, yes, brighter than what you have, noticeably but not a huge amount. 900 and 960 lumens worth NO WAY. Not actual out the front. I have lights that are a true 1000 lumens and the difference is very noticeable. 40-100 lumens shouldnt be a huge difference visually.

But you have amazon return polciy on your side for them, so if you get good ones then your in good shape, but still, much better out there for a very little increase in price like a favorite set up of mine and others is nitefighter bt40s on the bars and bt21 on the helmet (or a yinding on the helmet). Price ends up about $20 more that what your looking to pay, but you get lights alot of us use, know well, and will recommend. Next step from there is going to be Xeccon and Magicshine.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your reply.

I went through some of the Yinding thread. Too much info to soak up. Lots of modding going on. Is there a preferred setup...whether stock or modded?

How about this one? I don't mind spending a bit more for something of better quality.

Nitefighter BT21 1800LM 2 LEDs Cree XM L2 Water - resistant Mountain Bike Lights-31.29 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Is there a recommended/reliable battery pack to use? Something that will last at least two to three hours on full power?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The Yinding is a super little light and more than bright enough. The BT21 adds the package deal with a quality battery pack, so if you need everything go with the BT21 package. If you just need a light head consider the Yinding for $25.

Quality wise both are as good as you can get in a budget light and as bright as you will need for any riding.

mtbr member
    Nitefighter BT40S is another good option. Complete kit (Battery, bar mount, helmet mount, cable extender) for under $50. 1600 lumens.

RAKC
    One thing to realize, you don't need "the highest setting" most of the time. One of these lights on medium/high (4 mode lights the highest setting is turbo) is as much light as both of your current lights combined. However no decent output light can be left on its highest setting the entire time, they will get too hot and step down to the mid level automatically. The highest level is for the fastest of sections. Adjust your levels according to your speed. This way you'll get far more run time and not just be wasting light you don't need anyway.

The one you linked is one of them I was referring to. The kit is good all around, brand name batteries and all. Get on of those, a nitefighter bt40 and you'll have more than enough light for about anything besides downhill courses.

mtbr member
    I went through a few lights myself and one was in the $150 range. I decided to try picking one up from Ebay and its the best light that I've gotten so far. My only issue is how hot it gets when you're stationary but when you're riding, it will be cool down with the wind and it was for under $30.00 from Hong Kong so it may take some time for you to get it.

2X CREE T6 LED 5000 LM USB DC Interface Bicycle Light Bike Headlamp Headlight | eBay

RAKC
    Problem with those eBay lights is its a lottery. first issue is 5000 lumens, not even possible in any way from a dual xml light head. Emitters can't even put out 1000 each barely at max power (which the driver can't give them).

Next is the lottery for the batteries. One could have good batteries, the next one they could be junk or worse, cause a fire. Last one is pretty rare but has been documented more than enough to be cautious.

Basically all of us here that use "cheap Chinese lights" will pretty much agree, for the most part just avoid eBay lights, its safer. Nitefighter and a select few others are exceptions to the rule because they are selling direct on eBay, so your not getting clones.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies! Good info!

The BT21 seems like the best bang for your buck @ 58.59 for 1800lm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Problem with those eBay lights is its a lottery. first issue is 5000 lumens, not even possible in any way from a dual xml light head. Emitters can't even put out 1000 each barely at max power (which the driver can't give them).

Next is the lottery for the batteries. One could have good batteries, the next one they could be junk or worse, cause a fire. Last one is pretty rare but has been documented more than enough to be cautious.

Basically all of us here that use "cheap Chinese lights" will pretty much agree, for the most part just avoid eBay lights, its safer. Nitefighter and a select few others are exceptions to the rule because they are selling direct on eBay, so your not getting clones.
    I agree, but I've had good luck with these. After seeing mine, my friends wanted one as well. I ended up ordering 4 more from them and all of them have worked great so far. Its been a year and the battery life is still great. But I agree it could be hit or miss.

mtbr member
    Just reading through this thread and came across this. Looks like a great deal if it's in stock.
    Nitefighter BT40S Cree XP - G2 1600lm Neutral White LED Bicycle Light Bike Headlamp-32.72 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

RAKC
    As of last check there's plenty in stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Bear View Post
    Just reading through this thread and came across this. Looks like a great deal if it's in stock.
    Nitefighter BT40S Cree XP - G2 1600lm Neutral White LED Bicycle Light Bike Headlamp-32.72 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    Keep in mind that is the link for "lamp only". Battery not included.

mtbr member
    To answer the OP's question, no, 900 or 960lm is not enough.

I started with 100lm, added 150lm, dropped the 100lm and added 900lm, returned the 900lm for 2200lm. then dropped the 150lm and added 1500lm to the 2200lm.

RIDING ON THE ROAD I could still add more. The thing is, the more light you add, the better your ride gets.

The 100+150 was enough to ride, but I had almost no periphery vision, and felt I had to trade near vs far vision. Constantly tinkering with the light's aim.

The 2200lm bar light blew out the 150lm on my helment, so I tried a 900lm. Fine with the 2200lm on the lower half of the power range, but the 900lm on the helmet didn't feel balanced against the 2200lm when I pushed past 1100lm (50%).

The 2200lm and 1500lm lights feel like a balanced set, but I always feel I'm losing out in running about 70% (to save power), and am seeking a bigger battery pack so I can run full out for more than 1.5hr without voltage drop forcing a lower setting.

Even though my lights far outshine my car's headlamps, I'm sure once I can run both lights at 100% full-time, those few occasions where the thought pops into my mind (wish I had more light back there) will nag at me to get more light.

And this is on the damn street. I have yet to do a single trail run at night. Ugh.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

RAKC
    Taco, honestly, thats a personal thing there because your one of very few I have read or know that needs much over half that much light for the trails, much less the road. I ride the road sometimes at 30+mph with nothing more than 800 lumens on the bars. Trails I ride about same on bars (or a bit more depending on light I use, more than about 1400 lumens the glare even on neutral white tint gets a bit much) and 7-800 on the helmet. Sounds like to me you are actually going so bright that your washing out all the depth and shadows to the terrain so you cant actually see what you need to see. Part of that Im betting is using cool white tint. Other issue is more than likely beam pattern.

I know guys that ride same trails as me with nothing more than a 700 lumen night rider single emitter light (not enough for my tastes and cant stand cool white, but still).

If theres one important thing to learn about night riding, SPOT WORRYING ABOUT LUMENS, more isnt always better. ya 1000 is better than 100, but better tint (color temp of light) and beam pattern will do far more than another 500 or 1000 lumens added to it.