Opinions on these 3 torches?- Mtbr.com
    Trail Cubist

Opinions on these 3 torches?

Okay...I've been researching the hell out of torches---and not sure I know any more now than when I started, LOL.

But one thing I'm sure of: I want to order some from a US-based company (so I won't have to wait for a month to get whatever I order). Shining Beam seems like a reputable company, and I found these 3 lights there:

ShiningBeam S-Mini, 400 lumens
    ShiningBeam S-mini XM-L T6 LED Flashlight 400 Lumens

P-Rocket XM-L 530 lumens
    P-Rocket XM-L 530+ Lumens Compact LED Flashlight

ShiningBeam Blaze XM-L T6 720 lumens
    ShiningBeam Blaze XM-L T6 Tactical LED Flashlight "Clearance "

Any experience with these (or thoughts/opinions) is appreciated!

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. óJim311

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Of the 3 you listed, the P-Rocket seems like the obvious choice.

Cheaper and brighter then the S-mini.

Yes, the Blaze is cheaper and brighter still, but it's only one mode. There may be times when you only need medium mode and want to extend burn time, or even low mode for doing trail/roadside repairs.

Trail Cubist
    Yeah, the P-Rocket seemed the best choice, so I just ordered one from ShiningBeam. Found a few reviews and beamshots, and it seems to be just the ticket for a helmet torch. I'll post a review after I get it!

I was completely bewildered after researching batteries. Like torches, there seem to be 800 different brands/models/runs/batch numbers/etc...as well as button-top, flat-top, protected, unprotected...sheesh.

I ended up getting 2 of these UltraFire protected 2400mAh:
    TrustFire Protected 18650 2400mAh 3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    ...mainly because ShiningBeam sells them, so I figure they must work reasonably well.

I was also seriously considering this AW 3100mAh battery from Lighthound.com, but at almost $20 for one, it's a LOT more expensive than the TrustFire.
    AW 18650 Protected 3100 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery

I don't really need long run times, since the only night rides I'll ever do won't be more than an hour or so. I'll try the TrustFires and see how they work (and if they don't, I'll spring for the Cadillac AW battery).

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. óJim311

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone View Post
    Yeah, the P-Rocket seemed the best choice, so I just ordered one from ShiningBeam. Found a few reviews and beamshots, and it seems to be just the ticket for a helmet torch. I'll post a review after I get it!

I was completely bewildered after researching batteries. Like torches, there seem to be 800 different brands/models/runs/batch numbers/etc...as well as button-top, flat-top, protected, unprotected...sheesh.

I ended up getting 2 of these UltraFire protected 2400mAh:
    TrustFire Protected 18650 2400mAh 3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    ...mainly because ShiningBeam sells them, so I figure they must work reasonably well.

I was also seriously considering this AW 3100mAh battery from Lighthound.com, but at almost $20 for one, it's a LOT more expensive than the TrustFire.
    AW 18650 Protected 3100 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery

I don't really need long run times, since the only night rides I'll ever do won't be more than an hour or so. I'll try the TrustFires and see how they work (and if they don't, I'll spring for the Cadillac AW battery).

Scott
    Hope you like the P-Rocket. I saw that torch a couple years ago and almost bought one but I held off due to the price. Back then they only had the XP-G version though. I really do think you would of been better off with the ( 2.8ma output ) XM-L version. The one you linked to will be fine but the output is limited to 1400ma. The mid-mode is only 440ma. That's not really much for a mid mode. A usable mid-mode should at least be 700ma.

If you had ordered this version you would of had full power ( 2800ma ) at your disposal and had (1000ma) output for mid-mode. Anyway, not to fret you have at least 500 lumen on high with the one you ordered. As long as the beam pattern is not too wide it should be very usable.

Trail Cubist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Hope you like the P-Rocket. I saw that torch a couple years ago and almost bought one but I held off due to the price. Back then they only had the XP-G version though. I really do think you would of been better off with the ( 2.8ma output ) XM-L version. The one you linked to will be fine but the output is limited to 1400ma. The mid-mode is only 440ma. That's not really much for a mid mode. A usable mid-mode should at least be 700ma.

If you had ordered this version you would of had full power ( 2800ma ) at your disposal and had (1000ma) output for mid-mode. Anyway, not to fret you have at least 500 lumen on high with the one you ordered. As long as the beam pattern is not too wide it should be very usable.
    Hmm...good info CMD, thanks! Your points about the 1.4ma vs 2.8ma didn't catch my attention when I ordered. But no biggie, if the 1.4ma doesn't cut it, I'll just order the other one too. :-) (Except I hate camouflage---even though I guess nobody can see it at night, LOL).

While I'm sure a good mid-mode is useful...pretty much all my night rides are likely to be no more than an hour (on the trail system near my house)...so I'll just use it on high all the time.

The beam shots I saw of the P-Rocket showed it having really good throw with enough spill to provide decent visibility on either side.

But hey, this is my first foray into the Wild and Wooly World of LED Torches---that means I still have at least another several dozen more to buy over the next year, right?

Scott

mtbr member
    with Li-ion batteries, you get what you pay for. Trustfires are cheap and even the real ones (there are a lot of fakes out there) struggle with high currents. If you want something reliable and true to its stated capacity, get something made with Sanyo, Samsung or, preferably, Panasonic cells. Xtar 2600 are a good "budget" option and there are a bunch of protected Panasonic cells out there for less than $20 each. I've been stranded in the woods by cheap Chinese cells, I wouldn't recommend it

Trail Cubist
    Thanks mattthemuppetóhave you ever heard of the $20 AW batteries I linked to above? Like I said, I'm sure the TrustFires aren't the best (for only $7 each)...but I've heard nothing but good things about ShiningBeam---so I'd like to believe they wouldn't sell these particular TrustFires if they weren't any good...but...

mtbr member
    I have indeed - AW and Callies Customs are generally regarded as the best protected li-ions around, but pricey with it. Check out the rechargeable battery sub-forum on BLF (Rechargeable Batteries | BudgetLightForum.com) for lots of good links and reviews. I've bought a bunch of good Trustfires and Uniquefires (before fakes became so prevalent) and they were great at 1 to 1.5A but sagged badly at anything above that. Panasonics on the other hand I've never had any problems with.

Members who have read this thread: 0