Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

OpenLight Rechargeable Battery -- 20% off (MagicShine battery alternative)

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  blackbean 
#1 · (Edited)
If you use MagicShine, Bike Ray or LuminTrek bike lights, or any of their competitors with compatible connectors/voltages, these batteries are an awesome upgrade. The battery packs are assembled in Germany using premium Panasonic cells. They usually carry a pretty hefty price tag, but we're offering a special discount for MTBR members...enter coupon code: OPENSAVE20 at checkout for 20% off.

Here's a link to the battery:
OpenLight Panasonic Cell 4.5AH Li-ion Battery for Bicycle Lights [OpenLight 4.5AH Battery] - $69.99 : Welcome to LightJunction.com - The Best Deals for JETBeam, NiteCore, Fenix, Olight, and EagleTac LED Flashlights!

Here are the specs:

Battery:4×18650 Li-ion battery (8.4V4.5AH)
Battery life:500 times cycle
Charger:DC 8.4V/1.8A
Charging time:3-3.5 hours
Discharging current:≤4A
Waterproof rubber coated
Size:48×48×96 MM
N.W.:190g plus pouch 30 grams
Comes in a nylon battery bag, with strap to attach to bicycle frame.
Compatible with all Lumintrek 8.4V bicycle lights: TB-1000, TB-1600, and MagicShine 8.4V bicycle lights: MJ-808, MJ-808E, MJ-816, MJ-816E, MJ-818, MJ-872.

Warranty: 180 days manufacturer warranty.

See less See more
#3 ·
Most of our batteries use the 2.9Ah cells and have total capacities of 2.9, 5.8, 8.7 and 17.4AH. The 4.5 Ah batteries use a lower capacity (2.25 AH to be exact) in them to hit a lower price point. The batteries are in fact 4.5 Ah in capacity.

Hope this helps.

Josh

#4 ·
I think you need to either disable or change the link to the battery specifications in the ad. A person who clicks that link might think they are getting Panasonic 2900mAh cells ( which as you pointed out they are not ). As the ad stands right now,anyone that orders should get a 4 x 2900mah cell battery ( or a 30% discount to compensate for the mistake).

Anyone else feel the same way?

#6 ·
I would have to disagree with that. The post clearly states that the Battery is a 4.5Ah battery. Yes a supporting link is misaligned and pointing to the wrong Panasonic cells. Yes it is a glitch and a mistake, but anyone who buys a product titled 4.5Ah battery, listed in the specs as a 4.5Ah battery and is unhappy because they receive a 4.5Ah battery instead of a 5.8Ah battery is probably living in some sort of alternate universe. :)

Many small businesses do not have direct easy access to their websites and requiring 12 hours to update a link is not out of the norm, especially if they are busy enough to only check this forum once or twice a day. Let's cut them some slack.

#8 ·
I would have to disagree with that. The post clearly states that the Battery is a 4.5Ah battery. Yes a supporting link is misaligned and pointing to the wrong Panasonic cells. Yes it is a glitch and a mistake, but anyone who buys a product titled 4.5Ah battery, listed in the specs as a 4.5Ah battery and is unhappy because they receive a 4.5Ah battery instead of a 5.8Ah battery is probably living in some sort of alternate universe. :)

Many small businesses do not have direct easy access to their websites and requiring 12 hours to update a link is not out of the norm, especially if they are busy enough to only check this forum once or twice a day. Let's cut them some slack.
The ad states "Using top quality Panasonic cells, German designed and manufactured battery pack for high quality and safe performance! German engineering means top-quality, exceptional performance, with safety a top priority. Built with Panasonic cells."

Lightjunction is basically trying to sell a premium battery at premium price, justified by superior components and german craftsmanship, with a link to cells which are widely recognized as the best 18650 cell in existence.

I think some customers reading this misleading ad could reasonably expect that they'll get a 5.8ah 2s2p battery made of Pana 2900 cells. They're not "living in some sort of alternate universe", they're simply reading the ad and reaching one of three logical conclusions:
1 - the battery is 4.5ah and the cell spec sheet link is meaningless, or
2 - the battery is built of Pana 2.9 cells and is 5.8ah capacity, or
3 - the ad is a mix of truth and fiction, the product description ambiguous.
I settled on the third conclusion, asked the pertinent question, which was not answered by the seller but instead you, OpenLight, in a thorough manner.

Instead of making excuses on behalf of the seller, the seller should simply fix the ad. It's not clear to me that he understands the problem, since he instead removed an entirely different link, not the inaccurate Pana 2900 link.

I recommend Sellers do their jobs better. Accurately describe your product in the OP, answer questions adequately in a timely manner, and never insult potential customers with snide comments - this tactic rarely succeeds.

#9 ·
Seeker, I apologize for the confusion. It definitely was not my intent to mislead with the OpenLight link. Many folks in the cycling industry aren't familiar with the OpenLight brand, so I placed the link there for clarification. I understand how it could cause confusion though, and I appreciate you pointing it out. I removed the link to the OpenLight site, and our web guy is pulling the link form our site, but it hasn't been updated yet. Thanks for your patience.

#11 ·
FWIW...adding to seekers argument; *directed@Lightjunction....You must remember that us consumers are used to seeing mistakes in ads. We see wildly inflated lumen and product claims on a regular basis ( as well as missing information ). That said, It isn't too hard to understand how easy it is for a consumer to get the wrong idea. The bad part is that if the consumer doesn't catch the error ( since the battery is sealed ) he ends up with a battery he thinks is built with 4 x 2900mAh cells. :nono:

Glad to see you now understand....so we get 30% off now right? :ihih: ( Hey, unintended deception has to be worth at least 10% right...:yesnod:

#12 ·
You're absolutely right about the rampant inaccuracies within the bike light industry...and honestly, within the cycling industry as a whole. It's an unfortunate reality that's forced us all to become more discerning, but I think we've become smarter shoppers as a result...many of us, at least.

As for the topic at hand, the link has been pulled from our website until we can get the correct spec sheet. For now, refer to the specs listed on our site (the specs in this post were pulled directly from our site). If you've got any questions, though, I'd be more than happy to answer them on here, or in a PM. I do my best to respond as quickly as possible. Thanks for all your patience, guys. And to those of you who've shopped with us over the years, we appreciate your business.

#13 · (Edited)
You're absolutely right about the rampant inaccuracies within the bike light industry...and honestly, within the cycling industry as a whole. It's an unfortunate reality that's forced us all to become more discerning, but I think we've become smarter shoppers as a result...many of us, at least.

As for the topic at hand, the link has been pulled from our website until we can get the correct spec sheet. For now, refer to the specs listed on our site (the specs in this post were pulled directly from our site). If you've got any questions, though, I'd be more than happy to answer them on here, or in a PM. I do my best to respond as quickly as possible. Thanks for all your patience, guys. And to those of you who've shopped with us over the years, we appreciate your business.
'Slightly off-topic'...
I'm looking at the 'EagleTac-G25C2' on your web site...good light or what?

#15 ·
I bought a 6-cell (roughly 64 watthour capacity - 7.2v and 8.7aH were the specs I think) from OpenLight 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. These batteries are also compatible with Gloworm light connectors/voltages and I've been using my X2 v2 with the aforementioned battery. At the time of purchase I had a Magicshine MJ-856b light and could get a little over 4 hours run time at full power (1600 advertised lumens but more like 1200 actual from some MTBR test).

I understand both sides of the argument and the confusion it arose from. I get absolutely disgusted with false advertising but I think OL is a pretty upstanding company and they sell a good product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.