Only using magicshine for a helmet light?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Only using magicshine for a helmet light?

I was going to use my magicshine for a handle bar light and buy a dinotte 200L-aa for a helmet light. Does it make sense to only use the magicshine for a helmet light and not have a second light?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I would rather not spend another $150 if I don't have to. Thanks!

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix
    I was going to use my magicshine for a handle bar light and buy a dinotte 200L-aa for a helmet light. Does it make sense to only use the magicshine for a helmet light and not have a second light?
    Always use a second light, it doesn't need to be super bright but you need something as a backup. When the MS battery runs out you'll get no warning it will just shut off and you'll ride into that tree/over that bluff etc.

mtbr member
    Yeah good point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If you asking if the MS is bright enough to run by itself, yup.
    I do it all the time.
    I wouldn't spend another 150 on a back up though unless your night rides take you more than an hour from the trailhead.
    Carry a AA flashlight with a rubber band "in case".
    I have an Eagletac AA LED that I carry incase.

GeoMan
    You might consider adding the Magicshine 1400 (released 3/17/10) as your bar-mounted light...

Food for thought.

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Don't know if the 900 model will work that good on fog conditions due to its wide beam..

How do the light modes operate on the 1400? The 900 model are very very bad. You have to turn of the light to cycle them.

By the way, is the battery pack isolated this time? Already waisted one...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    1- I have a DiNotte 200L, 2 Fenix L2D Premium Q5s, and a MS900. I've found the MS900 overwhelms either the DiNotte or Fenix, therefore I only use the MS900. I carry a Fenix for backup.

2- The MS900 green LED turns red when the battery is about to run out of power. I'm not sure what Znomit was talking about, as it is well known the MS doesn't just shut off. You will get a warning - the LED will turn red. That being said, if it's mounted on your helmet, you won't know it if the LED turns red and you could be SOL when it dies.

3- If you ride on the roadway, consider spending your "extra" money on a DiNotte taillight, or wait to consider the MS taillight that's supposed to be out this month.

4- A Terralux 220 would be a great, inexpensive AA flashlight that would be more than adequate as a backup light. Be sure to use batteries that hold their charge, such as Eneloop AAs so that you can count on it if you need it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Hopper
    2- The MS900 green LED turns red when the battery is about to run out of power. I'm not sure what Znomit was talking about, as it is well known the MS doesn't just shut off. You will get a warning - the LED will turn red. That being said, if it's mounted on your helmet, you won't know it if the LED turns red and you could be SOL when it dies.
    Yeah thats what I was talking about. You can't see the battery indicator if its on your helmet...its not just a MS problem.
    Some vendors do indicators on battery packs as well.

Chunky Monkey

Out Of Batterey

Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    Yeah thats what I was talking about. You can't see the battery indicator if its on your helmet...its not just a MS problem.
    Some vendors do indicators on battery packs as well.

But if the battery for your helmet is in your jersey or hydro pack how could you see it?

Thx,
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

mtbr member
    That could be a big problem if your helmet light just shuts off like that unless you are using a second light too. You would think that LED lights made specifically for bikes would be smart enough to give you warning by dimming when they are getting very low along with the battery indicator light.

Members who have read this thread: 0