Old Light and Motion Arc setup salvageable?- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Old Light and Motion Arc setup salvageable?

I have a pretty ancient Light and Motion Arc setup. I bought it used probably 6-7 years ago and a buddy replaced the battery pack maybe five years ago.

Since then it's mostly sat in my hot Phoenix garage and has been used maybe half a dozen times. This year, I'm getting more into night riding, but having issues with this setup.

The battery appears to fully take a charge. However, the light will only activate for between 45 seconds and two minutes. It then blinks out with no warning. Despite that, the green light on the power button (back of lamp head for those familiar) stays lit. See second photo. This leads me to believe it is still receiving power from the battery.

IMG_1254 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

IMG_1255 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

The lamp itself does not appear to be user serviceable. Any input on what, if anything, I can do to salvage this light quickly and on the cheap? Obviously, I don't want to dump much $$ into a system this old when the technology appears to have gotten much better and cheaper over the years. Thanks in advance.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    A five year old battery sitting pretty much unused in a hot garage is most likely toast. I know,,,,, not what you want to hear but even a properly taken care of battery will be close to the end of it's life after five years or so.

Technology has gotten way better since the days of HID. I was just discussing a new product line with other light geeks like myself and am convinced this new product line would be perfect for you in you hot location in Phoenix.

This product is called the XP-2 from Ituo. This will be a huge improvement over your Arc. It has a measured 1611 lumens out the front,,, about double your old Arc and a much better beam shape and tint. It has very long run times on it's included four cell high quality battery,, i think four hours. And a reported,, very!! good thermal protection which is what you want where you live. All for $169US.

If your not in a hurry, in about a month Ituo will be releasing their more powerful XP-3 with approx 2300 lumens for only fifteen more $$ on presale.

Just so your aware,,, i have nothing to do with this company but like many on this forum just want to pass on what we think is a good product and value.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have as best as i can if you have any. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    If your not in a hurry, in about a month Ituo will be releasing their more powerful XP-3 with approx 2300 lumens for only fifteen more $$ on presale. QUOTE]
    Just to let you guys know I got a PM from Ituo that the shipment of XP3s are on its way to the US distributor. Once they receive the shipment presale pricing will no longer apply so this may be the last weekend to take advantage of this. With any luck I'll have my XP3 by next weekend for the MMP Night Series ride in Fountain Hills.
    Mole

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yes, the bad battery makes sense. My question -- and I suppose it's mostly for anyone with experience with this particular light -- is why does the green power light stay on if the battery is toast? Does it not indicate something else going on? Could I buy a more modern battery back?

Others have made the same Ituo light suggestion and I will likely pick one up. Problem is a have a group night ride scheduled for Sunday at South Mountain and hoped I might be able to pick up a battery pack or make the Arc serviceable for that ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Most likely there is enough voltage left in your old battery to light the green power button, but not enough to fire up your lamp head.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    As for battery replacement,,,,Light N Motion looks to have proprietary battery's and if you can find one which i'm guessing would have to be metal nickle hydrate type, you will pay a fortune.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Some of those old lights can also run on Li Ion batteries. Wondering if it were possible to swap one in and maybe rewire the pigtail or something. Probably not worth throwing good money after bad I suppose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Yes, the bad battery makes sense. My question -- and I suppose it's mostly for anyone with experience with this particular light -- is why does the green power light stay on if the battery is toast? Does it not indicate something else going on? Could I buy a more modern battery back?

Others have made the same Ituo light suggestion and I will likely pick one up. Problem is a have a group night ride scheduled for Sunday at South Mountain and hoped I might be able to pick up a battery pack or make the Arc serviceable for that ride.
    In your first post you mentioned the light would run 45 sec. - 2 minutes before it would turn off. Do you have to recharge the battery to get it to work again or is it possible to restart the light even though it won't run for very long? I'm not familiar with this particular light but I did own a NR HID light that I had a multitude of problems with. Assuming the technology is similar one of the issues I had was a bad ballast that exhibited similar symptoms to the problem you described. Battery was OK but couldn't keep the light running for more than a couple of minutes. Unfortunately fixing the problem cost more than the light was worth. Also not sure what kind of connectors the battery has but there should be some way you could have the battery checked with a multimeter.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Some of those old lights can also run on Li Ion batteries. Wondering if it were possible to swap one in and maybe rewire the pigtail or something. Probably not worth throwing good money after bad I suppose.
    Yes this is true as long as the voltage is the same even then sometimes it can be fussy. As Mole mentioned, the ballast also could be the issue. If you have access to a battery you could try to change the connector and see if you can get your light running for Sundays ride, but my gut tells me you will be throwing away good money.

Can you borrow a light for Sundays ride? Either way if your going to start night riding regularly, i'd jump on board and order yourself and XP-2/ or XP-3. I would strongly recommend two lights, (helmet/bars) as if one fails the second one could save you serious injury and get you home safe. Not to mention much better trail detail and coverage.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No, the lights will not re-engage after they expire. I guess that points to the battery pack itself. Probably not worth messing with. Thanks for the help.