Ok Newbie question, there are so many lights.- Mtbr.com
    29er Club Member

Ok Newbie question, there are so many lights.

Some question, so bare with me please.

I am new to this sport and would like to know what would be a good light to get, I do not do a lot of night riding, but one night we did get stuck out in the woods, becaue of couple of issue flats chains, and me being out of shape.

So I was reading helmat light, handale bar mount light. This lum that lum.
    Just got to say AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

Need help, whats is a good place to start looking at, again I will not be doing a lot of night riding just yet..
    The following post may ruffle your feathers. If it does… You may need to take yourself less seriously!

mtbr member

29er Club Member
    thanks
    The following post may ruffle your feathers. If it does… You may need to take yourself less seriously!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    1. First, consider that two lights are better then one (for a couple reasons). One for helmet, one for bars.

2. How long are your rides? 1 hr? 3 hrs?

3. Then figure what your budget is and shop for two lights within your price range.

Maybe post your budget and people can throw out what their choices would be, give you some stuff to look at.

If you're not doing a lot of night riding, and if your rides are fairly short (or at least the amount of time you would actually be using the lights is short, like the last 30-60 minutes of the ride on the way back to the car), then I'd go with a couple good torches/flashlights.
    Cheap, bright, fairly compact, and can be used as regular flashlights when not riding.

Jun 2008
    how would you mount the flashlights for riding?

29er Club Member
    Helmat would be the best from what I was told.
    This light would be when getting lost on the trail, coming close the evening time. So the most it would be a 3 hr or more.

mtbr member
    My wife and I were out riding and got caught in the dark. We used her hairband and my mini mag light to get us back to the house. Wasn't the best or brightest light (old batteries didn't help), but it got us home.

Kris

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EHCRain
    how would you mount the flashlights for riding?

Do a search for "flashlight mount", or "mounting flashlight". There are at least a dozen mounts available on the market, not to mention the homemade jobbers.
    My fav is probably the simple Twofish.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    A Helmet light is good, but utterly useless when it get a bit foggy or even in the rain as the light reflects too much off this, a nice bar light comes in useful here!

Most People will probably suggest something that will need Li-ion 18650 (same as in a laptop battery) batteries. However there are good choices that AA Batteries (as most people have them for other applications) you just have to find them!

My Emergency torch is a MTE C2-1, uses 1 AA battery, last about 1hr15 on a 2700mAh and is light weight and puts out 130-150 lumens with a very nice (bike light like) beam pattern.

Members who have read this thread: 0