On/off switch for Magicshine?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

On/off switch for Magicshine?

I'd like to have an on/off switch to fully disconnect a Magicshine 900 or 1400 battery without unplugging it (to deactivate the always-on LED on the control button).

Is the item at this link appropriate to do that?

http://www.batteryspace.com/componen...connector.aspx

Thanks for your advice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Like a lot of stuff on batteryspace.com, the technical detail on the web page is lacking. Based on what I do know, I doubt it'll work. A lot of the switches for trail tech lights have a crude form of voltage regulation built in using a microcontroller and PWM. That's because the trail tech light's max input voltage is 13.6 volts. When used with a 14.4v li-ion pack, the voltage needs to be reduced. The reason I think that's included in this switch is because of the comment that it consumes 0.5W of power and drops the voltage by a minimum of 0.14V. That indicates to me that more is going on than this just being a simple switch with an indicator light.

All the Magicshine lights operate off of voltage of 7.4 volts. If this switch is based on a microcontroller, it's hard to know what it'll do when run off a much lower voltage. It may just assume the battery is below the low voltage cutoff and never turn on.

keeping it dirty
    Couldn't you wire a SPST switch between the battery and light somewhere?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    MtbMacgyver: Excellent observations. Sounds like I won't cause any damage by trying, so I'll see what happens. Might not work due to voltage difference as you said; I'll advise of the result when done.

intoflatlines: You're right too. Essentially I'm just trying to find a pre-made setup that is detachable and works as intended.

Thanks very much for the input. It helps a lot to have knowledgeable feedback.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi to all,

Good news on a ready-made on/off switch to completely disconnect the battery from the light on the MagicShine lights.

I got this from BatterySpace:

The link is here:

On testing, it did disconnect power from the battery to the otherwise always-illuminated control button (for both MS900 and MS1400). And when this added switch is set to "on" the MS light works.

Upside: No more need to disconnect the battery to prevent drain due to the constantly illuminated button. Downside: Have to remember to first turn on this added on/off switch before using the MS integral control button.

I've seen posts where some folks wanted to turn off that MagicShine illuminated button when preferred. Hope this helps.

And MtbMacgyver thanks for your thoughts on feasibility. It gave me confidence enough to take a chance on it.
    Last edited by maxitout; 04-26-2010 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have been riding with two 900 Magicshine lights, one helmet and one bar. I like it.

I was wondering if its possible to mount any simple external switch to a magicshine 900 light? I was considering running two on the bar for the faster steeper sections (overkill I know) but wanted the option of being able to turn the second light on/off while on the fly. The current switch would require taking my hands off the bar and hitting it multiple times. I know the easy solution would be to buy the 1400 but it doesnt interest me. I am going to order a light head to dissect it, I was hoping someone already tried it.

Does the above switch still require you to turn on the light itself or can it turn the light on directly.

JMC
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2015 S Works Epic WC custom
    2018 Stache
    2013 Roubaix Pro Custom

Team RDC Cat 1

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Wouldn't that external light button be even better for the MS 900 for those wanting to only turn on/off? I hate having to cycle through the functions and it turns on automatically when it gains power. So, turn on inline switch and the light is on, turn off inline and it is off? Sounds good to me!
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_134
    ... I hate having to cycle through the functions...
    Try holding the MS switch down for two seconds to turn it off without having to cycle through all of the settings.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Genius!
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

Members who have read this thread: 0