NR Pro 1400 w/ Lumina 900 or Dual Lumina 900ís- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

NR Pro 1400 w/ Lumina 900 or Dual Lumina 900ís

Hey all; New to night riding and looking to extend ride time here in MI.

I picked up a NR Pro 1400 and a few Lumina 900 Boosts for my son and I. Both at good prices.

I was considering the 1400 for the bars and the 900 for helmet. However am wondering if (2) 900ís would be sufficient considering the ease of install and cost of the all-in-one lights vs the external battery pack on the Pro. Thoughts please...

Testing out the lights in the backyard I was surprised how similar the (2) lights are in brightness. The 900 at full power surprisingly appeared close in brightness to the 1400 however the 1400 having a wider beam angle and larger center spot. The 900 wasnít bad either with a bright center transitioning to flood at the edges.

From reviews it looks like the 1400 holds a constant brightness for most of the runtime and then abruptly drops off compared to the 900 that degrades over operation.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NVRGVUP View Post
    ....From reviews it looks like the 1400 holds a constant brightness for most of the runtime and then abruptly drops off compared to the 900 that degrades over operation.
    Personally, I'm not a fan of a light that loses output over the runtime, particularly when that drop is over 50%. Your eyes do sort of adjust to the gradual dimming as long as there are no other significant light sources. If it works for you then it's good. Just something to keep in mind.

If you do get into night riding, odds are good that you'll end up with different lights along the way. You start seeing things about your current lights that could be better and you buy a different style light to get that.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NVRGVUP View Post
    Hey all; New to night riding and looking to extend ride time here in MI.

I picked up a NR Pro 1400 and a few Lumina 900 Boosts for my son and I. Both at good prices.

I was considering the 1400 for the bars and the 900 for helmet. However am wondering if (2) 900ís would be sufficient considering the ease of install and cost of the all-in-one lights vs the external battery pack on the Pro. Thoughts please...

Testing out the lights in the backyard I was surprised how similar the (2) lights are in brightness. The 900 at full power surprisingly appeared close in brightness to the 1400 however the 1400 having a wider beam angle and larger center spot. The 900 wasnít bad either with a bright center transitioning to flood at the edges.

From reviews it looks like the 1400 holds a constant brightness for most of the runtime and then abruptly drops off compared to the 900 that degrades over operation.
    If you think you want to run a self-contained light on the bars I would suggest looking at something like a PR1200 Ravemen. Power still fades as you operate it but unlike the Niterider it stays stable for the first 3/4 of its already longer runtime before it starts to degrade. Beam pattern works great as a bar light (IMO) for road or off-road, is still less than $100 and can even be used as a power bank to charge a dead cell in an emergency.
    Mole

https://www.rakclighting.com/collect...led-bike-light