Noob questions- Mtbr.com

Thread: Noob questions

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Noob questions

Hi all,

Days are getting shorter and I'm planning ahead for my night riding. I've been reading/looking at lights for the past couple days, yet I have some unanswered questions that I'm sure you could help me with.

For the handlebar, I ordered the Revtronic BT40S from Amazon as it seemed to me everyone agrees that it's good/cheap light.

Now for the battery, I can't decide yet which way to go.
    Battery box (EB02) with 4x `18650 (Panasonic NCR18650PF that I have already) or a 2S Lipo battery
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...___store=en_us
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-57...___store=en_us

I haven't seen anyone using a Lipo battery to power their lights, any specific reason?

What handlebar mount would you suggest knowing I'd probably transfer the light from MTB to Road bike very often?

My understanding is that for the helmet, I'll need a light with more throw. I've been looking at the Yinding and Convoy M1.

The problem is I can't find the Yinding, found this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...776633043.html
    which I know is a clone.

On the other hand, I found 100 different configs for the Convoy M1

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1653/10002364/1212400

I'm leaning towards the Convoy as it's all-in-one, even though it's a single battery vs dual (I can always carry extra 18650 for long rides)

What do you guys think? Which Convoy M1 to choose, U2 T5 T6?

Thank you very very much!

mtbr member
    I looked at the listings from the Fasttech website which you linked to. When you scroll down the drop-down listings for the Convoy I only see eight listings for the Convoy M1. ( other versions are listed in the drop down menu as well ) Strangely none of the M1's listed was listing anything rating as a "Neutral White" in the product descriptions. Since you going to be using a BT40S you want a helmet lamp with a NW emitter. Banggood offers the M1 with a NW emitter but the website says they are sold out at the time.

The closest to NW temp range emitter I see on fasttech for the M1 is with a XML2 T6-3C. That one is still listed in the 5K-6500K range...BUT...that doesn't jive with the Cree CRI charts. A 3C should just be under 5000K. That just might work. Output will be limited to about 700 lumen but that can work well too. Now they also offered the T5-5C but that should ( according to the Cree charts ) be well under 4000K. Likely a little too warm and being a T5 somewhat under binned. If you go fasttech go with the XML2 T6-3C @ 2800ma driver. Won't be the best but with the Chinese you have to take what you can get if you want to go cheap. Not to mention you sometimes see product descriptions that aren't always accurate. Your mid mode will likely only be about 300 lumen but that too can work if you aren't going real fast.

Once again, I'm only giving you this advice if you are trying to run two lamps in the same tint range. If you just want the brightest output regardless of tint than go with the U2-1B option @ 2800ma Tint range for that one is listed as 6500K to 7000K. It will be very bright white and be in the 900 lumen range. Your call.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my questios.

I spent the past couple hours educating myself about LED emitters, bins, tints etc

I checked Mountain Electronics they have the M1 T6 3B which should be a tad cooler than the 3C.

There are 2 listings on ebay for the BT40S, a warm white and one that doesn't say anything. I messaged the seller who's telling me, the 2 options he has are Cool White with Revtronic logo, or warm white with nitefighter logo on it which he recommends.

I'm wondering which one to get? I asked about specs for each but no answer yet.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeachR View Post
    ......I haven't seen anyone using a Lipo battery to power their lights, any specific reason?.....
    In the DIY world there have been a few folks use RC type LiPo batteries. A couple things put off some users.

The "soft pack" design. There is some concern (warranted or not?) about physical damage to the pack causing a problem.

No overcurrent protection. LiPo's can discharge at super high rates. A short in the light or power cabling could cause a pretty impressive melt-down.

Most LiIon packs have some kind of overcurrent protection (PPTC) so a short in the light or cabling just "trips" the protection. Removing the load "resets" the PPTC so it is ready to use again.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    In the DIY world there have been a few folks use RC type LiPo batteries. A couple things put off some users.

The "soft pack" design. There is some concern (warranted or not?) about physical damage to the pack causing a problem.

No overcurrent protection. LiPo's can discharge at super high rates. A short in the light or power cabling could cause a pretty impressive melt-down.

Most LiIon packs have some kind of overcurrent protection (PPTC) so a short in the light or cabling just "trips" the protection. Removing the load "resets" the PPTC so it is ready to use again.
    So a hard case and some sort of a protection (fuse or BMS) would make it a safer option?

I'm a noob at Lights and stuff but I've been building vaping devices for years and DIYer at heart.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Mtn is a good source for convoy. Simple lights with high quality. Bt40 branded nitefighter shud be legit. I personally have several battery packs purchased before the liion ban from Chinese sellers. Id look at kaidomain for a helmet light. Pity no more bt21 from gearbest!!!

mtbr member
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my questios.

I spent the past couple hours educating myself about LED emitters, bins, tints etc

I checked Mountain Electronics they have the M1 T6 3B which should be a tad cooler than the 3C.

There are 2 listings on ebay for the BT40S, a warm white and one that doesn't say anything. I messaged the seller who's telling me, the 2 options he has are Cool White with Revtronic logo, or warm white with nitefighter logo on it which he recommends.

I'm wondering which one to get? I asked about specs for each but no answer yet.
    About the Mountain Electronics offering; You could probably go with the T6 3B. Some years back I bought a torch from Mtn Electronics thinking I was buying something with a neutral white tint. I was a little disappointed because the beam tint was not quite as warm as I had wanted. They call the 3B tint NW but to some of us who are really into NW we prefer a tint that is listed under the 5000K temp. range but no lower than 4000K. I believe 4500K would be perfect but hard to find those.

I did just look at the MTN Electronics website. If you order the M1 with the 3B tint, go ahead and get the guppydrive option. With the GDriver you have 22 different mode menus to choose from. I had them preset mine to group 21...which gives me modes > 2%- 15% - 50% - 100% ( with memory ) The only thing that bothers me is I don't see anything telling you what the maximum drive current is. At one time they gave you the option to change that as well. ....okay just read the site again. Seems the M1 is sold with the 7135 driver. You want the one that is 7135*8. You want the 3A version. Before buying ask the seller what version 7135 is being used ( see the contact button at top of page, click on a ask a question ).

I have one of the original Nitefighter BT40S's. About a year or so after Revtronic took over the BT40S and they too were using NW XPG emitters. AFAIK, Revtronic never sold a cool white version. Regardless, you want the NW because it is so much better. I did buy a second BT40S. I can't remember now if it was a Nitefighter or Revtronic but both are the same tint.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So a hard case and some sort of a protection (fuse or BMS) would make it a safer option?
    Yes, as well as a hard case also provides more mounting options. A fuse or other device to protect from a short would be mandatory IMO. IME, a short is a very rare event but can happen. One time the power cord got pulled from the lighthead in a crash and made a momentary short.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Yes, as well as a hard case also provides more mounting options. A fuse or other device to protect from a short would be mandatory IMO. IME, a short is a very rare event but can happen. One time the power cord got pulled from the lighthead in a crash and made a momentary short.
    Thanks for the input. Will be getting the EB02 as I already have 4 brand new Panasonic and ~ 10 Samsung 30Q's that I need to repurpose as I quit vaping few months ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    Mtn is a good source for convoy. Simple lights with high quality. Bt40 branded nitefighter shud be legit. I personally have several battery packs purchased before the liion ban from Chinese sellers. Id look at kaidomain for a helmet light. Pity no more bt21 from gearbest!!!
    Read a lot of good things about the BT21

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Any idea if instead of the Convoy M1 as a helmet light, I can use either of these

wow tac A2S
    Boruit D25
    Skillhunt H03

To my novice eyes, they look similar to the M1 with XML2 emitters, what am I missing here?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thank you guys for your input.

I eded up with an S2+ XP-L Hi U6 4C and the M1 (host) to build with either Nichia 219C or XP-L Hi V3 3C. I also got a head strap for running. I understand the XP-L is throwier than the XM-L2 but I think it will work better with the BT40 's flood?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The Skilhunt is a decent headlamp. NW or cool. 3 or 4 different optics/reflectors for floood or throw. One model has a removable flood optic to achieve better beam distance. They were on sale at $28ish, magnetic charging model was around $40.....

mtbr member
    Thank you guys for your input.

I eded up with an S2+ XP-L Hi U6 4C and the M1 (host) to build with either Nichia 219C or XP-L Hi V3 3C. I also got a head strap for running. I understand the XP-L is throwier than the XM-L2 but I think it will work better with the BT40 's flood?
    Using the XPL HI will enhance the throw on what ever torch you choose to use. The M1 will definitely end up being the torch with the most throw because of the larger reflector. The S2 with XPL HI should also provide decent throw if it has the deeper reflector.

Judging from what LED's you bought don't be surprised if the LED tint looks whiter than the BT40. The M1 I bought was built with an XPL HI V3 rating at about 5200K. This is the borderline high range for NW. I could of went for another that was warmer but I'm pretty happy with what I got.

If you want something for running I would think an angled torch like the skillhunt H03 you mentioned before to work better.