NiteRider Minewt USB- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

NiteRider Minewt USB

anyone have any thoughts or experience with the niterider minewt usb?? i'm looking for a good light and was recommended this one from my local bike shop ? kinda expensive but looks like its worth the money from the reviews i've read

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trembly01
    anyone have any thoughts or experience with the niterider minewt usb?? i'm looking for a good light and was recommended this one from my local bike shop ? kinda expensive but looks like its worth the money from the reviews i've read
    The minewt USB is pretty outdated at this point. But, it depends a little on the intended use. Is this for commuting or for riding singletrack at night? In my opinion, a single minewt USB is not enough light for singletrack.

mtbr member
    That light is definitely outdated and most likely way overpriced. If this is the 110 lumen model then the output of this light is very weak compared to current led lights. If you could buy it for under under $50 then maybe it would be worth it, but I still would pass.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It's time has come and gone.Not sure what your budget is,but a good light not to expesive and i believe is waterproof would be the 500L from Trailed. If your not planning to ride in the rain,as many in this forum would agree,,,,,here it goes again, try the Magic Shine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    most of my night time riding will be commuting from work as well as just some casual riding at night b/c i do work late sometimes. i mainly want a light that will allow me to see easy and be seen. i was told to not get anything more then 50 lumens........

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Not sure who is giving you this advice, as you may be seen with a fifty lumen light at night, but your not going to see much at all unless in pitch black and no moonlight. As maximus suggested,if you can find the minewt in the fifty dollar range,buy it if your concerned about to many lumens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    sorry about the last post, i meant to say AT LEAST 50 lumens, the local bike shop suggested the niterider thats why i was asking. i could care less what brand light i get, i was just looking for the best deal i could get! so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

mtbr member
    +1 for Maximus unless you are getting a great deal you will be disapointed. Might define expensive for us so we can give other suggestions in the same price range.

My lights are very very water resistant. I don't call them waterproof, because someone will immediatley use it for a dive light and complain if it breaks at 100ft.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zen bicycle
    +1 for Maximus unless you are getting a great deal you will be disapointed. Might define expensive for us so we can give other suggestions in the same price range.

My lights are very very water resistant. I don't call them waterproof, because someone will immediatley use it for a dive light and complain if it breaks at 100ft.
    Sorry,this isn't the first time iv'e said waterproof, when water resistant is a much safer term.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    i was hoping to find something around 100 dollars or under.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    ...If your not planning to ride in the rain,as many in this forum would agree,,,,,here it goes again, try the Magic Shine.
    I ride in the rain regularly with my Magic Shine, as scores of others on these forums and elsewhere do, with no ill effects. Yes, if you buy one and you're going to ride in the rain, you should waterproof the battery.

Or, just pay a few dollars more and order the Magic Shine Plus (it's the soon-to-be-offered MS900 with the waterproof MS1400 battery).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    most of my night time riding will be commuting from work as well as just some casual riding at night b/c i do work late sometimes. i mainly want a light that will allow me to see easy and be seen. i was told to not get anything more then 50 lumens........
    For that description, the Minewt USB will be fine. My GF runs this light and on our fun rides on the bike trail it's by far the brightest out there. It's fine for commuting and casual riding. I wouldn't want to run it on the trail unless it's a leisure ride. For some city driving more is too much. My 400 lumen dual Minewt is embarassing and has pissed people off even with them aimed down. The only good thing is cars tend not to pull out in front of you because they can't tell what's coming at them. When they know it's a bike they tend to not care if they pull out in front.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    Just get a Magicshine, and you have various power settings. You could run it on low when around cars so you don't blind them, and still be seen well, and still have the option to turn it on high and be able to ride trails at a fast pace.

At your price point the Magicshine is pretty much a no brainer IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    Just get a Magicshine, and you have various power settings. You could run it on low when around cars so you don't blind them, and still be seen well, and still have the option to turn it on high and be able to ride trails at a fast pace.

At your price point the Magicshine is pretty much a no brainer IMO.

what model magicshine do you suggest? alot of reviews on the niterider complain about the battery life on them....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    what model magicshine do you suggest? alot of reviews on the niterider complain about the battery life on them....
    They are on the shorter end but they also put out the claimed lumens... But you're right, if there was one thing I would change it would be the run time. I've never run mine down completely but I've had the indicator turn red a few times. It seems like they go red right around the rated time. I've run them 15 minutes on red before without going out. Batteries are very expensive, not a lot cheaper than the entire package. I did not know this when purchasing it and I figured I would just buy a spare battery or two.

My dual Minewt and my GF's Minewt mini USB have been extremely reliable in the 1.5 years we've owned them. However, my father's 200 lumen Minewt on his road bike started going dead in 10 minutes on a full charge. It was warrantied I believe.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    That is a hard choice with pros and cons of each. The single 900 model is inexpensive and will give good run times(several hours on high, and much more on low). Also, Magicshine sells extra batteries at low prices where Niterider charges as much for a battery as Magicshine does for the entire light set.

You can use the single unit either on the bar, or get a helmet mount so you can see where you look. Only downside of a helmet mount is it takes away shadows, so does not show the ground contour as well. But you can also aim it down so as to not piss off oncoming cars, just by tilting your head.

They also make the bar mount 1400 that puts out a really wide beam up closer, and the center light reaches way out there. This light gives a lot of contour to the ground. Great for off road riding.I went for the 2300 combo because it will be used offroad almost entirely, and together you get the wide spread and contour, along with being able to point the other light around sharp corners.

For commuting I think I would go with one helmet light if you want to keep the price low, and have the most overall versatility and function.

Born to push....
    I use a NiteRider Minewt USB for commuting, an the light its self is good i feel a brighter light is needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    what do you guys think of the new 2011 Minewt USB with 150 lumens priced at $89???

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedone31
    what do you guys think of the new 2011 Minewt USB with 150 lumens priced at $89???
    Depends on the use, It would be ok for commuting.

Given the current state of LED technology, 150 lumens is a fairly small amount of light at any price. It's really not bright enough for true off-road mountain biking in my opinion. You can do a lot better in terms of lumens per dollar with a lot of other choices.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just scored a 2010 Minewt Mini for $54 and I intend to use it on my helmet, and I was thinking about getting the 2011Minewt as a handle bar mounted light. I was thinking about getting the magicshine but alota people have told me that the actual lumens is no where close to the listed 900 lumens. A guy I spoke with said magic shines lose 50% of their brightness after only 20min. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I just scored a 2010 Minewt Mini for $54 and I intend to use it on my helmet, and I was thinking about getting the 2011Minewt as a handle bar mounted light. I was thinking about getting the magicshine but alota people have told me that the actual lumens is no where close to the listed 900 lumens. A guy I spoke with said magic shines lose 50% of their brightness after only 20min. What do you guys think?
    This is true,the actual lumens is about half the advertized 900. Will still blow the doors off the 150 lumen Minewt.And based on the history of the failing battery's/chargers from NR's past,i think this one is a no brainer.I haven't heard any reports on MS products loosing 50% of there brightness after 20 minuts.Would have to say the light would need no airflow to accomplish that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I got the Cygolite Milion 200 USB for around $100 and it's great for night riding around the city, haven't taken it to the trails but it gives a lot of light, I like it.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=wickedone31]
    A guy I spoke with said magic shines lose 50% of their brightness after only 20min. What do you guys think?
    I would say he is as full of crap as a Christmas turkey.

Both my 900 and 1400 Magicshine do not seem to lose any brightness even on very long rides. I call BS on that guys claim.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    well seeing as how so many on here swear by it I just picked up a magicshine on GeoMan. Can't wait to take it out on the trail. Only thing is I was reading on candlepowerforums.com many were saying it did not have adequate heat sinking, and it got too hot. Many were suggesting opening it up and putting thermal paste in and around the aluminum Slug that contacts the LED. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Many were suggesting opening it up and putting thermal paste in and around the aluminum Slug that contacts the LED. What do you guys think?
    I think they addressed that issue, and it is not necessary now.

mtbr member
    well seeing as how so many on here swear by it I just picked up a magicshine on GeoMan. Can't wait to take it out on the trail. Only thing is I was reading on candlepowerforums.com many were saying it did not have adequate heat sinking, and it got too hot. Many were suggesting opening it up and putting thermal paste in and around the aluminum Slug that contacts the LED. What do you guys think?
    This was an issue with the early versions of the Magicshine, but Geomangear has told the manufacturer and they've changed their process. They now put thermal paste in each new light to address this issue.

Yep, here's a response on another forum by Geoman: http://www.locomtb.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32437
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sweet! thanks. Now I'm more confident about my purchase

Members who have read this thread: 0