NiteRider MiNewt.250 vs. CygoLite ExpiliOn 250- Mtbr.com
    MK2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

NiteRider MiNewt.250 vs. CygoLite ExpiliOn 250

Has anyone used either of these lights? Are there pros/cons, do you have a preference? I live in AZ and summer is upon us. My riding has been pretty much limited to night time right now. I want to purchase an additional light to really brighten up the trails and it has come down to these choices due to price, light output and both units being wireless.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK2 View Post
    Has anyone used either of these lights? Are there pros/cons, do you have a preference? I live in AZ and summer is upon us. My riding has been pretty much limited to night time right now. I want to purchase an additional light to really brighten up the trails and it has come down to these choices due to price, light output and both units being wireless.

Thanks for the help!
    Hey MK2, I don't know much about the Expilion but I have used the NiteRider light myself and was pretty impressed with the system. The beam pattern was excellent for a 250 lumen system, it punched out fairly well and spread nicely. Plus NiteRider is a good company and attends/supports quite a few races - just in case you are into that.

Depending on what part of Arizona you live in, we (Baja Designs) are going to be at McDowell Mountain Park for a night riding clinic/night ride on July 13th and then out there again on the 30th for the "MTB in the Moonlight" night ride - if you have never done a night ride with over 150 people on the trail, it is well worth the drive. (did I mention there is free food and beer?) You can use your fancy new wireless system out there!

Shannon Scott
    Baja Designs Inc.
    www.BajaDesigns.com

Rednose/Greenback
    +1 for the MiNewt.250.
    I've had mine since May and have very pleased with it. It is small, light and a good value for the money. The price seems to be dropping too. Sweet spot price point quality light. I paid $129 at REI but now down to $95. The clamp system allows easy switching between bikes yet stays secure. The beam pattern bright and wide. Duration is good but my favorite feature is the USB charging. This feature alone would make it a great commuter light. Sure there are better lights available ($$$) but this light has cured me of any lust to upgrade. One caveat, although it's relatively compact unit, I consider too large for practical helmet use. Put in on the bars.

mtbr member
    NiteRider MiNewt.250 vs. CygoLite ExpiliOn 250....
    Has anyone used either of these lights? Are there pros/cons, do you have a preference?
    I'm not saying these aren't nice lights but if you want to see ALL the rattlesnakes ( not just the one's right in front of you ) I think you should consider something with a little more output...
    Ie.....Baja Stryker, MS 808E, Bikeray II, III, Gemini Titan ....OR....wait a couple more months when Niterider releases their new upgraded lights.

mtbr member
    I agree with Cat - if your riding is any more technical than a bike path, less than 4-500lms will leave you struggling. You can still ride, obviously, but it's not going to be as fun or safe as with a brighter light.

At least wait until the new uprated Niterider lights are out, if you can.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I think this particular light is more suited to commuting and the road. If you need a higher powered USB light, I read somewhere that 600 lumen USB charging light was coming out, but I can't seem the find the link. Maybe I dreamt it.

mtbr member
    May 2009

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d33pt View Post
    ...might want to read the fine print where is states, "Stock status: Expected on Aug 10th". I think the rule of thumb should be, " Don't expect to buy them till you start seeing them advertised on the Niterider web site".

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hawley USA has the new MiNewt 350 and 600 (plus the Mini 300) in stock. Any local shop should be able to order them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mobaar View Post
    Hawley USA has the new MiNewt 350 and 600 (plus the Mini 300) in stock. Any local shop should be able to order them.
    Well at least the Niterider web site now advertises the new upgraded lights. That doesn't mean that there still won't be a wait. I can't wait though to see the beam shots of the new 1500 or the MiNewt 600.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Well at least the Niterider web site now advertises the new upgraded lights. That doesn't mean that there still won't be a wait. I can't wait though to see the beam shots of the new 1500 or the MiNewt 600.
    The only wait should be shipping time for your LBS to get it. The Pro lights are probably another couple weeks away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the update, mobaar. I'll be on the lookout.