niteflux redzone durability?- Mtbr.com
    ~ B A D A S S ~

niteflux redzone durability?

these have been out now for like 3 years. I just want o know how they are holding up. Can you swap the bettery? Any strange problems after like year or so?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    these have been out now for like 3 years. I just want o know how they are holding up. Can you swap the bettery? Any strange problems after like year or so?
    I've had one for two years and have not had any issues with it. I don't think you could swap the battery but I'll let you know if a couple of years if that's a problem.

There isn't anything out there that is as bright or as wide a field of visibility as this thing.

J.

mtbr member
    Been at least a year or so since I've read anything on the Niteflux products. Most of those discussions were over on the Bikeforums website and I haven't spend much time over there lately.

The biggest issue I remember with the Niteflux products was that they were extremely slow in getting their products to market. ( which IMO is never a good sign ). I think I commented back then, "...that they were so slow in getting the new product out that it made you feel as though the lamps were being manufactured in someone's basement".

Anyway, they might be more available now. As far as, "How easy is it to replace the battery"?, that you need to ask the manufacturer. Looking at their website it looks like they have stock of product ready to go.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Ok I have one on order!

I was tossing coins between that and the dinotte quad/lupine/orfos and the orfos won. but when I went to order it the shipping and the light would be like 150 bux, and the redzone since its sold in AUD was significantly cheaper and the shipping was ridiculously cheap. so redzone it was.

The new version has a screw on cover for the charge port and is made completely out of some transparent plastic btw. no carbon tube and silicone any longer. Check the manual. also the new one is 500 lumens while blinking. And 4h battery at 500 when blinking.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Ok I have one on order!

I was tossing coins between that and the dinotte quad/lupine/orfos and the orfos won. but when I went to order it the shipping and the light would be like 150 bux, and the redzone since its sold in AUD was significantly cheaper and the shipping was ridiculously cheap. so redzone it was.

The new version has a screw on cover for the charge port and is made completely out of some transparent plastic btw. no carbon tube and silicone any longer. Check the manual. also the new one is 500 lumens while blinking. And 4h battery at 500 when blinking.
    Since you didn't say on the OP I have some questions...What type of riding do you do that you feel you needed a rear light this bright? RedZone 4 or 8, which did you choose? How/where will you be mounting it?

Just the other day I was noticing how pointless it is to demonstrate any type of rear light using photos or videos, particularly videos. Video of any good rear lamp simply cannot replicate what the eye sees by looking at the light directly. I think the only way to demonstrate output with rear lights is with "wall shots" but even those are lacking.

The Redzone series will no doubt provide a very wide visual footprint, visible from almost any angle. That said I'm sure a lot of that output will be very dispersed. I didn't know the new models had been upgraded so I thank you for that information. When you get the light let us know how you like it.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I'm on the road. commuter. I will be putting it on a seatbag of the type: topeak mondo xl or similar with a tywrap.

Iwont be running mine on 500lm maybe 250 but most likely 125 so I dont have to recharge it so often. Right now I have a 30lm light and its quite good. but this will be much better imo.

I will do a photo shoot of it. I have a dlslr and know very well how to use it. thinking maybe i'll do a 5sec low iso shot while its flashing or so to capture a few cycles. then do the same with the L&M vis 180 mini. and compare. At a distance. Maybe 100m.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'd run it on full bright. The light has such a wide viewing angle, that I think you'd be being up a lot. It needs to have a lot because the angle is so wide. That said, even at 250lm it's way better than the 30 lumen light. Sorry, but no 30 lumen tail light is "quite good." You'll see when you have a high bright tail light on the back - you will see completely different behavior from cars.

J.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I have me nitflux now. this is the new version, all transparent plastic.

Its 500 lumens blinking. I removed all the steady settings and now i run 5 different blinking settings, all from the default blinking program. (you can change this, but I saw a vid on youtube and the default one seems to be the most visible one)

if I put it in my hand and turn the leds away from me its still blinding.

you can operate it with thick winter gloves.

I will do a photo shoot some day. long shutter.

Regarding the purchase. It took a month to get here. But after a week or so I sent a mail to niteflux and they told me they were having a new batch made so they would ship it in a few days. (1,5 weeks, then). but I know how these things work.

And it arrived in about a month from the states. The pack said 12bux so no 25% vat for me. fits in a mailbox. came in the mailbox.

they were very responsive when I contacted them via mail.

Its a fukn beast! hahahaha

Specialized sucks ass.

EAT MORE GRIME
    niteflux rz4 carbon tube style 3 years now, no issues

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    niteflux rz4 carbon tube style 3 years now, no issues
    update

the charge circuit on my redzone 4 just blew, now it will charge
    but only with the trickle current, therefore takes -days- to charge from flat.

tested with probe clips on my xtar charger, battery tops right up in a few hours
    at 4.15 volts. but...when on the built-in chip, the second decimal place on volts climbs by one every 10 minutes....clearly charging... but barely

so that was 11/25/13 when I got it. 4.5 years ...still works but since it is all glued
    into the carbon tube I cannot easily repair the circuit.

--------
    I just ordered a new redzone4 I do like the light and hope I like the new case design
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    update

the charge circuit on my redzone 4 just blew, now it will charge
    but only with the trickle current, therefore takes -days- to charge from flat.

tested with probe clips on my xtar charger, battery tops right up in a few hours
    at 4.15 volts. but...when on the built-in chip, the second decimal place on volts climbs by one every 10 minutes....clearly charging... but barely

so that was 11/25/13 when I got it. 4.5 years ...still works but since it is all glued
    into the carbon tube I cannot easily repair the circuit.

--------
    I just ordered a new redzone4 I do like the light and hope I like the new case design
    Let us know if there are any improvements with the new ones.

I've thought a time or two about buying something with more side light but since I run wheel lights on my road setup I already have enough side light. Now as if that wasn't enough I added a cheap Cateye X3 clone to my rear setup to help provide some more rear / red side light. Going even more over the top I added a Planet Bike Side light ( amber ) and have it mounted to the rear of my frame bag ( which sits in the triangle of my top, head and down tube ). I think I can now be officially classified as a UFO riding down the road.

My total rear foot print is as follows; Gemini Iris on back of the helmet. Cygolite Hotshot 150 on back of the seat post and the X3 clone I have mounted on the seat tube just below where the seat stays are. The clone I set on low steady but it is not real visible from behind because of where I have it mounted but very visible from the sides. The Hotshot 150 is aimed straight back off of the seat post and set on the slow fade in/out setting which is very bright when at it's peak. The Iris makes for a very nice helmet lamp is very viewable from the rear no matter how I turn or drop my head. The Iris I set on low flash because I feel confident enough that at that setting it is more than bright enough once someone is within 200 ft of me. That said I have two brighter settings for the Iris I could use if I felt I really needed it. The maximum 180 lumen setting is overkill and would likely only run an hour at that setting. I could go to the 100 lumen setting but I've found the mid level 50 lumen setting to be more than enough. The Hotshot is putting out near 150 so I don't feel the need to use more battery power than necessary.

I get a lot of respect when riding on the road at night. Last night ( riding after 12 midnight ) almost every car that passed me swung wide. Had a really nice road ride last night. Saw two shooting stars while out as well. Going for a MTB ride tonight. Hope things are dry enough.

EAT MORE GRIME
    got mine in Ma, USA, in 3 days

it ships from Kentucky, so they have some type
    of conus warehouse and you don't need to wait for a boat from AUS to get one.

-----
    new one improvements

new feature
    it blinks out remaining capacity when turning on and off.
    4 = 3/4 to full
    3 = 1/2 to 3/4 full
    2 = 1/4 to 1/2 full
    1 = low to 1/4 full

otherwise the patterns are the same. and same programmable
    flash patterns. I just use defaults 4xFlash/Pause but it has SOS
    and some other alternate flashes you can pick.

single end cap, super easy to remove for charging
    it appears fragile but maybe it isn't

it is way brighter and way more visible than the old one
    the casing is more transmissive than the silicone ends on the carbon one
    and the entire body is a frigging lighthouse of red light

some downsides
    the button to turn on is harder to press (big deal, but it does matter as I reach down blindly to turn on and off my old one, this one will take more mental focus to operate on the fly)

the case is hard plastic and will slip a bit if attached raw to a post,
    they provide Velcro but I am not sticking any sticky to my bikes...I wrapped
    it's semi-circle mount points with some clear silicone fusion tape to make it stay put when I strap it to my post

it's essentially the same just easier to charge and now only one end of the case opens, so it is more weatherproof and easier to deal with overall. and Super super bright if you want it. I could not understand anyone needed an RZ8 ...this RZ4 is stupidly bright

overall=wicked happy with it, still...imho the ultimate taillight. no light is absolutely perfect, but this one tops my list.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    it's essentially the same just easier to charge and now only one end of the case opens, so it is more weatherproof and easier to deal with overall.
    Just be careful with the cap as it is a bit fragile. Mine slowly disintegrated over two years of normal use to the point where it wouldn't stay on the end of the case. Props to David though, I emailed him asking if I could buy a new end cap and he sent me a whole new light.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Niteflux reliability

Iíve been using the Niteflux lights since first generation came out. I have three of new generation now, you donít need the new 8, I have all 4s. I do a lot of riding and have two mounted on helmet one white and one red. Iíve had new ones for two years now last at least 8 hours on first brightness about 6 on very bright. These cost $99 a piece, not sure if the new 8 is worth $50 more. Charge up very fast unless you run all the way down. Wonít use any other light. Can change brightness and flashing time mode. Customer service very good. Had too many friends hit, Iím called the ambulance but I donít care.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails niteflux redzone durability?-image.jpg