Nitecore P12Gt, perfect EDC flashlight for the helmet.- Mtbr.com
    RAKC

Nitecore P12Gt, perfect EDC flashlight for the helmet.

Got a new flashlight from Gearbest to review. I picked this one from the couple they wanted me to review. Reason being, it uses XP-L HI V3, ANSI certified 1000 lumens. So 1000 lumens in a tighter spot with a lot better throw than previous edc flashlights. Makes for a great helmet light for those that like to use a single cell 18650 EDC flashlight for their helmet light.

NItecore P12GT: Gearbest

Here's my video review with comparison against NW tint Convoy L4 and Special Edition (BLF) A6 EDC 18650 light.

Yeah!
    Since when does Gearbest ANSI certify ANYTHING? I'm betting that is the US certification for the LED's and nothing more.

I've got two BLF group buy flashlights on the way. They have been rated for 1000lm after several phases of testing that were completed by BLF members here in the us. Took a custom driver, copper heatsink core, and most of 2015 to get them produced. With a lot more surface area than the P12GT, the 1000lm setting is only a turbo mode, as continuous use will damage the light.

Unless this light is part of a spec group buy, I'd usually be surprised if the highest output exceeds 600lm. However, I notice the P12GT has thermal regulation which, uh, drops the output current when it gets too hot, so maybe, but honestly, how many lumens is one going to be able to continuously throw with such a small light? Would be nice to see a continuous rating on the lights, but what can one expect when they always list the mfg's max rating regardless of how much current they provide to the LED's. Lol... the description says the light has both spread and throw.

All of the best light's I've received from overseas suppliers have larger heads on them. Unless the increase LED efficiency by 100%, you just can't get around the physics of good thermal paths and surface area for heat management.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

RAKC
    Ok ill correct an almost 100% incorrect post. Most your info is rather out dated. Im a rather active member of BLF, have custom modded torches and bike lights running the newest emitters available.

First nitecore is a brand. Gearbest doesn't make anything, the sell what places make. For being a blf member, your knowledge of flashlights and brands is very old. Nitecore is available all over the place just like fenix, magicshine, xeccon, and the list goes on. All these made in china. All of them gearbest can sell if they choose to become a dealer. They are for nitecore and fenix, olight I believ as well. Nitecore had their lights certified. So sorry, not to be mean, but that was a very poor assumption. Im not reviewing a convoy or EE light.

Xp-l emitters can make ansi certification no problem in an edc (do research on the process, something I've done). If its at 1000 lumens after 30 secs from power on, it passes first part and certifies at that output. Output the falls with temp and other factors during the duration of run time like EVERY LIGHT out there.

Xp-l emitters at 85c produce over that no problem at 3A. Their 100% data rating is 1025mA drive current iirc correctly. Well higher and INSANELY more efficient than xm-l2 or xp-g2.

This light has far more surface area than a standard edc. Longer, finning around head at base of where emitter sits etc. Also im guessing your referring to the blf A6 xp-l direct drive with toykeepers custom UI. That's way over 1000 and no a damn thing is copper except the direct thermal path emitter mcpcb (star). I have 2 of them. Pushes over 1300 lumens otf as long as cell can hold it.

Final point, ive ran it up next to other lights, which I have a butt load of, its definitely right about 1000 lumens.

Just cause gearbest supplied the light, doesn't mean it can automatically be bashed, and my personal review (which no disrespect, my knowledge appears to be much more up to date of tech available and how it works) being attacked because it was supplied by gearbest.

RAKC
    Here's the first few places a google search turns up that sells nitecore flashlights:

REI

Amazon

Opticsplanet

Batteryjunction

YeaP, REI sells them....

And here's this info
    http://flashlightwiki.com/NiteCore

mtbr member
    I almost bought one of those Nitecore P12 Gt's because they were about the smallest XP-L HI single 18650 lights out there that I was aware of. I needed something with more throw than the average 18650 light. I normally go for Neutral White lights, but for this particular use Cool white is acceptable to me. In the end though I ended up getting a larger 18650 light, the Armytek Predator Pro XP-L HI. The Armytek is bigger with a larger head and reflector so it gets a bit more distance than the Nitecore P12GT. I have a 40mm diffuser that fit perfectly on the Armytek and works brilliantly. Though not an EDC light I wear it on my belt in it's holster at work and the size/weight isn't an issue.

I am thoroughly impressed though with the XP-L HI. They are impressive throwers for a single 18650 lights. There are several manufacturers using that emitter and I look forward to seeing more lights come. If I needed a smaller lighter weight 18650 light with good throw I would have went with the Nitecore. I have a Nitecore P36 2x 18650 that I have been very happy with so I wouldn't hesitate to try another Nitecore.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ View Post
    ...... I am thoroughly impressed though with the XP-L HI.
    Me too. I've been building LED lights for ~6 years and IMHO the XPL-HI is the best "all-round" emitter yet. I'm still floored by how much better my helmet light works with them as opposed to the XMLs they replaced.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    That's why I shared this light over here, had to. Guys like garry (though he can mod his own edc to use xp-l hi) that like a 1x18650 edc for a helmet will like this alot.

Its not as good as a bigger head flashlight with xml2 for throw, but its pretty darn close. Way better than I expected.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi Tigris,

I too used to be a BLF member and dabbled around with modding back in the day, although it's been a while so I'm a little outdated.

Firstly thanks for the review. I'm in the market right now for a more compact helmet thrower for cycling use.

I'm just curious with regards to the hotspot. How does it compare in size to say a C8 hotspot? You mentioned it's similar to the Convoy L4, so would you suggest the spot size is around the same for both lights? Personally I find the narrow spot of a C8 too small and annoying to be considered practical, so was hoping that this light would provide a reasonable size width.

mtbr member
    Tigris, nice review. I'm impressed with what this torch can do considering the size of the reflector. I also like the little kit that comes with the set-up. Looks like it includes almost everything a person might need when using a hand torch. Only thing they left out that would of been nice to have is a *diffuser ( *hollow extended white plastic tube ) for camping purposes but you can buy those from Nitecore as well.

I don't think I'd like the beam pattern per say for MTB bike helmet use being as narrow as it is but it might very well work for when riding on the road. I like that it offers a nice array of "flash/strobe" options.

While doing my job sometimes I have to spot addresses on buildings ( from my car ) in dark areas or look for special landmarks. While I carry a decent thrower in my bag for this purpose I would consider the Nitecore as a viable replacement since it looks to have great throw in a smaller package. While it might be nice to have a "neutral white" version I could accept the cool white simply because likely I'm only going to use it for quick on/off use.

On a side note, you forgot to mention that the P12gt has a nice battery indicator set-up. Not only can you check it manually for battery charge but supposedly the top button will flash blue very rapidly when the battery is very low, I like that. I might have to look into buying one of these. I hope they aren't too expensive. ( *Ouch!...~ $72-$89 on Amazon ) although I'm sure GB is cheaper.

Tig, any problems with these running the flat head panasonic's? Some torches have problems with those. I'm assuming it was designed to work with the better batteries.

( *edit, GBest, a dollar cheaper than Amazon. I was expecting more of a discount )

RAKC
    The hot spot is little bit larger (watch the video, beam shot tests towards the end) than a c8 sized light. But still fairly small.

Cat, ya I forgot the battery indicator situation lol. I completely forgot.

As for flat top cells, that's a no go. Has to be button top. Intermittent issues with poor contact trying to use flat top cells. Experienced it shortly after reviewing the light when I threw a ncr18650b in it when I was out of town. Couldn't figure out what was wrong until I switched cells with the other light I brought and it was fine. There's a little plastic ring on the driver end, not sure why it's there but it makes a flat top battery unable to keep a proper connection.

As for tint. It still annoys me. And I can get the thing apart to save my life. Scratch it pretty good trying to.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    The hot spot is little bit larger (watch the video, beam shot tests towards the end) than a c8 sized light. But still fairly small.

Cat, ya I forgot the battery indicator situation lol. I completely forgot.

As for flat top cells, that's a no go. Has to be button top. Intermittent issues with poor contact trying to use flat top cells. Experienced it shortly after reviewing the light when I threw a ncr18650b in it when I was out of town. Couldn't figure out what was wrong until I switched cells with the other light I brought and it was fine. There's a little plastic ring on the driver end, not sure why it's there but it makes a flat top battery unable to keep a proper connection.

As for tint. It still annoys me. And I can get the thing apart to save my life. Scratch it pretty good trying to.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Yep, that's why I asked the question. A quality torch ( like this ) should not have battery issues. I ran into the same problem with a couple torches I have. Real PITA when they don't work right with the flat top Pani's. You can get button tops but they are harder to find.

Yep, some torches are real hard to disassemble. Don't you hate when you get one of those. On the upside you can get a "neutral LED" version if you're willing to go with one that uses an XM-L2 led. Same torch, just a different LED. I saw those over on Banggood. Won't have the same throw but it should be close and should have the desired tint.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got to play around with this light locally in a store where I live, along with few other lights with XPL hi emitters from fenix, nitecore and olight. Nice flashlight, but as I suspected XPL HI emitters emit a very narrow beam even in the tiniest of reflectors and just aren't practical IMO for mountain bike helmet use, at least not in reflector form, you'd need an optic to widen the beam and decrease the throw somewhat.

Personally I'm not so taken with the XPL hi emitter. It's a smaller footprint than an XML-2 that's not as efficient, but throws better due to the smaller footprint. I think a lot of the hype around this led is due to the fact that cree seem to have, for now, more developed XPL emitters readily available than xml, in 2 ways.

Firstly, XPL HI emitters are "dedomed", this greatly increases throw as the emitter directly throws it's light forward with the removal of the typical dome that comes with most emitters. The same effect can be used with XML's, however they aren't as readily available yet from cree. That being said some of the olight flashlights have dedomed xml emitters with the same silicone flat base as XPLs, so they are around.

Secondly, XPL emitters are more readily available in higher bins. XML2's are coming out in U4, XPL in V6. V6 is rated 7 levels above U4. In fact "V" probably stands for dedomed.

Take the emitters at the same level:
    XPL U4 at 3 amps emits up to 920 lumens
    XML2 U4 at 3 amps emits up to 1343 lumens

XML 2's have more potential in my opinion as bike lights, more efficient, powerful and a footprint that isn't too small for a pencil shaped like beam.

What may be a game changer is the XHP 35 led. Not yet sure how it directly compares, however Zebralight recently updated the SC600 with one and it puts out a whopping 1300 lumens from a small single emitter edc style light. Candela is around 13000 which is on par, and probably throws more, compared with the likes of the gemini duo and gloworm X2's. In other words, at that brightness and throw, it emits quite a wide beam that has some punch. Possibly a game changer for bike likes, not to mention they come out in "hi" dedomed versions as well.

Cree - Flashlight Wiki

RAKC
    just FYI, not sure where you got your specs on the emitters but 95% of it is incorrect:

Cree XP-L and XP-L HI Datasheet

XP-L and XP-L HI are XM-L2 emitters on an XP-G2 base. EXACT SAME THING between XP-L and XM-L2.

Secondly, XP_l and XP-L HI both come in V6 bin currently (very easy to get) which is same as XM-L2 U3 bin. You cant get XM-L2 U4 bin in neutral white. Highest is U3 bin.

Your right that XP-L HI ONLY is a tight spot, MANY riders prefer that and MANY don't. I SURE DONT! XP-L emitter is designed to give XM-L2 output in a smaller package (kind of pointless IMO). XP-L HI main purpose is to duplicate beam pattern of XP-G2 while giving XM-L2 level output. SO meant for throw or use in small optics packages while allowing for higher output via higher drive current.

SO XP-L HI is NOT hype at all, it does EXACTLY what the people that want it the most expect it to. throw of XP-G2 but the output capabilities of XM-L2. Or using smaller optics/reflectors to build lights in a smaller and lighter package but have similar output and beam characteristics of larger XM-L2 systems.

The XP-L emitter is a lot of hype, no real reason to use it over XM-L2 especially now that XP-L HI is available in v5 and v6 bins in neutral white.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi Tigris, yeah good point, I'm clearer now on the "v" brightness bins being that, and not actually having anything to do with being dedomed. Perhaps I'm wrong when assuming xml2s were potentially capable of the same bins as the XPLs.

Otherwise I was looking at the same information as you. Just to clarify, some of the posts I've read around the odd forum would lead people to believe the XPL is an upgrade over the XML2 emitters, rather they're just suitable for different purposes I think was the point we're both making. Of course some people might find the pencil like beam usable for mtbing, in fact I know of one such person, just that for most I'd say they're annoying. All subjective of course.

Personally I found the xpl hi edc flashlights to be pretty damned cool and I'm amazed that I escaped the store with my wallet in tact.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have not tried an XPL-HI with a reflector, but with the LEDDNA optics it's the best 20mm setup I've used. Switching my helmet light from dual XMLs to XPL-HI is the best upgrade I've done. Really nice throw and enough spill for the peripheral. If it was the only light used, it might feel too narrow. Combined with a barlight though it's just right.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Some of my thoughts; I think the XP-L/XP-L HI emitters appeal to anyone who is looking for more throw. As such the XP-L HI is something that makes sense to someone who is looking to buy a torch with great throw.

I also think the XPL/XP-L HI's could also work well in bike light as well BUT...depends on the optics being used along with the number of emitters. For example; I'd love to see how the XP-L HI might work inside the new Gemini Olympia. Since it is currently a round triple with an optic that tends to expand the center spot, having the HI emitters might just make the center area more intense. For helmet use I could see that as being beneficial. Of course not everyone is going to want that. Still, if used in combo with XM-L2 and the proper optics, the XP-L HI has great potential if used in a single lamp.

RAKC
    ok so i got sick of the cool white. I like this light a lot be NEVER used it cause of the tint.

So out came the propane torch, carefully positioned and monitored till loc-tite came loose.

No oring or other damage, but anodizing at the location I applied heat is a funky redish (like when black clothes fade) color. Could care less about that though. Functions perfectly and now it has a nice 3B neutral tint. Now i can ACTUALLY SEE what im shining the light at instead of dust and humidity looking like fog because of the glare.

Just wishing I had skipped trying the regular way to open the light because the anodizing is scratched in several places. Next time just straight to the torch ; )

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice work, personally I find the difference between cold white and Neutral white to be night and day, especially when it's the 4b tint and bin. Considered baking the battery tube to give it a nice color match?