Nite Rider Battery Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Nite Rider Battery Question

Do batteries lose their ability to hold a charge after a long time between usages/recharging?

I have a Storm 2.0 set up that I haven't used in at least 7 years. Last week I put the battery on the charger. When the LED on the charger turned green I unplugged it. When I went to use it last last night, the lamp lasted about 5 minutes then went out.

When I got home I put the battery back on the charger and unplugged it today after about 18 hours. I hooked up the lamp and it went out after about 55 minutes.

I've put the battery back on the charger and will do another test tomorrow.

When I was using the lamp, I had no problems getting decent life when out for a ride. After a few charge/discharge cycles, will the battery life return or is the battery "pooched"?
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
    Do batteries lose their ability to hold a charge after a long time between usages/recharging?

I have a Storm 2.0 set up that I haven't used in at least 7 years. Last week I put the battery on the charger. When the LED on the charger turned green I unplugged it. When I went to use it last last night, the lamp lasted about 5 minutes then went out.

When I got home I put the battery back on the charger and unplugged it today after about 18 hours. I hooked up the lamp and it went out after about 55 minutes.

I've put the battery back on the charger and will do another test tomorrow.

When I was using the lamp, I had no problems getting decent life when out for a ride. After a few charge/discharge cycles, will the battery life return or is the battery "pooched"?
    Most rechargeable batteries will self-discharge over time, so if the pack really sat unused for 7 years it likely was pretty severely discharged to the point that some damage has been done, along with normal degradation just due to the age of the battery.

You'll probably get a bit of the battery life back if you cycle it a few more times, but it will never give you the run time it did when new. If you are going to keep using this battery make sure to not leave it charging unattended and keep an eye on the pack as it may start to puff up due to off-gassing during the charging process.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Two more charge/discharge cycles. Last night the lamp lasted about an hour and 20 minutes. So far tonight it's still burning after 2 hours.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

RAKC
    It may run ok for a bit but chances are you have gone far outside the service life of those cells, especially being used. not sure cell type but if they are li-ion cells in that pack, I would replace soon as that level of degradation cant cause critical failures in the cells. Ni-Cad cells on the other hand will just slowly stop working at all but no harm running them till they dont work anymore. Li-Ions if they get an internal short can cause a fire when you go to charge them the next time after the short develops which Li-Ion service life is 5-7 years optimal usage.