Nightsun XC and Nimh battery power?- Mtbr.com
    More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008

Nightsun XC and Nimh battery power?

Had my dual beam XC lamps for years. The Nicad battery setup still works but has a quite diminished run time anymore. Just bought a 13.2v Nimh battery and smart charger to use. OEM was 12v but I surmise 10% more won't kill things. Anyone else with a Nightsun XC done the same?

Keep pedaling
    Yes, a lot of people used to do that a long long time ago before HID and LED lights became popular.

It will make your lights brighter, but it will reduce the life of the bulbs.

http://www.turbocatusa.com/tech.html

HOW BULB LIFE RELATES TO EFFICIENCY

Unfortunately, engineers must give up bulb life to increase efficiency and brightness. We've designed our systems to provide reasonable bulb life (200-400 hours) and high light output. We think the performance gains are well worth the small cost of replacing bulbs a little sooner.

May 2008
    Yep, I'm just too cheap to give up on a decent light set, lol. Figure with some new power they'll keep on keepin' on for me. I got the new stuff today and have done the initial charge and will cycle the batteries a few times per the recommendation. I love how Nightsun was crappy enough to reverse the wire colors though once the harness is inside the bottle. At least it's been a long-known dirty trick of theirs. I put another small hole in the new bottle to run the thermal switch lead out so I don't have to pop the top off and tuck it down by the battery pack each time I want to charge it up. When the original battery setup was new and even for quite a few years it was killer. Gradually it's degraged and it was time to do something. I'd think only going 10% over won't be a bulb-killer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Have you had any problems with the 13.2v set-up or replaced bulbs yet? I am going to buy the packaged Nimh 13.2v set-up from batteryspace that has cells already in a water bottle and a good charger.

May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddw260
    Have you had any problems with the 13.2v set-up or replaced bulbs yet? I am going to buy the packaged Nimh 13.2v set-up from batteryspace that has cells already in a water bottle and a good charger.
    No, thus far in the couple months I've had the 13.2v system it's been perfect. Killer runtime and the slightly brighter light is a plus. I am very pleased with the batteryspace bottle/smart charger. Only thing I did was cut the existing XC plug and wired up the new one. That, and also put a small hole in the top of the new bottle and placed the thermal sensor along the battery pack and then ran the connector harness just barely out of the lid so it can be hooked up quickly. I sealed the area around it with RTV silicone sealant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks,
    Are you using open face bulbs or glass face bulbs? My plastic lens cover is a bit distorted on the 30w bulb from the original 12v ni-cad battery.

May 2008
    Still on the OEM bulbs and polycarbonate lenses. Never had lens problems but I made sure that I never sat still with the 30w bulb on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Question: Anybody ever experiment with using LIPO 11.1 batteries on these lights? I have a bunch of batteries ranging from 8.4, 9.6, 10.8 NiMH and 11.1V 20C Lipos that we use for Airsoft rifles. Since weight is a factor with MTB'ing I was wondering if an 11.1V would be too much voltage or discharge for a pair of Night Sun Dual Beam XC lights.

Members who have read this thread: 0