Night ride with just Torches- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Night ride with just Torches

The other night I was riding at one of the local parks and decided to take only my torches. Even though I was starting late in the day I figured I could make it back before it got too dark. Besides, I didn't want to get back too late anyway in fear I might get a ticket as I was parked in the park itself. Long story short, I misjudged how much daylight I had left and how long the ride would take. Just before leaving I had decided not to take my 600L. To be on the safe side I still took both torches ( MTE P-7 2-mode and Aurora MC-E 2-mode ) Halfway into my ride I began to realize that it was time to use the lights. That meant I was going to need at least 1hr. of usable light. Even though that was well within range of the torches run time on high I still decided to ride with minimal light just to be on the safe side. Because I was so worried about getting a ticket I decided to bail out on a side road that I thought would bring me back to the parking lot sooner. About a mile down the road I discovered that the road simply came to a dead end, much to my surprise. That meant back-tracking to the trail and riding the trail back the rest of the way. Anyway, during all of this I discovered some things about my torches. The P-7 (bar mounted) is really lax when on low. Oh if the low were only 100lm brighter! My saving grace however was the Aurora. Even on low the Aurora gives good visibility into the 30-50ft range. Since the place I was riding was really twisty visibility was limited to line of sight which meant being able to see no more than 30-45ft anyway. Only on the downhill fast sections did I need the high settings. Just to be safe I still ran only one on high at a time. Only when I was almost back did I realize I was carrying a spare 18650 battery in my bag..*slap*
    Darn, if I had known that I'd a been P-7 high setting the whole way. Lucky for me, no ticket on the car, Thank God.. Looks like I might just have to get me one of those MTE P-7 multi-modes for when using torches only. I'll hate having to cycle through the extra flash modes but having a usable mid-level light mode would be great. Since they're only about
    $36 I guess I can afford it.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-25-2009 at 05:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Cat-man-do I think the mid mode is a need. Your story only confirms this. I have a two mode P7 - the high is awesome, the low useful for MUP use or static stuff.

Checkout this model:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567

It says it is 4-mode but it really is 5-mode. The specs also say a "D" bin P7. I can say it is brighter than the three other P7 flashlights I have from DX.

The modes have memory. That is it starts in the mode you turned off in if you wait a few seconds.

It has strobe - not that useful for bike use. The other modes are all useful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldass
    Cat-man-do I think the mid mode is a need. Your story only confirms this. I have a two mode P7 - the high is awesome, the low useful for MUP use or static stuff.

Checkout this model:

It says it is 4-mode but it really is 5-mode. The specs also say a "D" bin P7. I can say it is brighter than the three other P7 flashlights I have from DX.

The modes have memory. That is it starts in the mode you turned off in if you wait a few seconds.

Hi Coldass, I'm thinking of ordering the DX light sku 22567 just to try out on the handlebar with a twofish lockblock, it wont be replacing the light I use but for $30 its worth a try. Do you use a protected 18650 cell with yours ? DX has many 18650 batteries but I'm not sure which one to get as they have positive a negative reviews, some I read are not safe and vary in dimensions. Its doing my head in, and thought of asking the experts here that use 18650 batteries in these torches. Thanks

mtbr member

Checkout this model:

Yes, if bar mounted the mid-mode is almost a must have if you want to extend run times before having to change batteries. Last night I wasn't wasting any time, I ordered this one from D/X.> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16092
    I chose this model because it looked similar to another model that was previously reviewed in one of the original Torch review threads. It also looks to have a beam pattern that is like my other P-7 torch. Since D/X has lowered prices on these I'm hoping the wait won't be as long as before ( 1 month ). In response to pothilato, I think most of the P-7 torch users are using the blue Trustfire's 2500mah protected batteries. I also have a couple protected UltraFire's ( 2400mah) which work fine as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pothilato
    Do you use a protected 18650 cell with yours ? DX has many 18650 batteries but I'm not sure which one to get as they have positive a negative reviews, some I read are not safe and vary in dimensions. Its doing my head in, and thought of asking the experts here that use 18650 batteries in these torches. Thanks
    I use both the Ultrafire 2400mAh and Trusfire 2500mAh protected cells. 18650 cells are very common these days - if you use a suitable charger and your light has its own smarts it is unlikely you'd have an explosion. Many 'brand' name bike light setups use these cells.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Yes, if bar mounted the mid-mode is almost a must have if you want to extend run times before having to change batteries. Last night I wasn't wasting any time, I ordered this one from D/X.> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16092
    Cat-man-do. I had a 16092. It is a good flashlight but isn't a D bin (as the name suggests), it is a C bin - if you like the 16092 you'll love the 22567 (brighter D bin, shorter). I gave my 16092 away - it is still a great light for the money and my buddy liked it so much he ordered another.

mtbr member
    Cat-man-do. I had a 16092. It is a good flashlight but isn't a D bin (as the name suggests), it is a C bin - if you like the 16092 you'll love the 22567 (brighter D bin, shorter). I gave my 16092 away - it is still a great light for the money and my buddy liked it so much he ordered another.
    Cold-A...I chose the 16092 knowing it was a C-bin. I really wasn't sure whither or not I wanted the D-bin. I also looked at this one > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22569
    but if you notice the beam photos seem to indicate the D-bin torches with more of a spot beam pattern ( That is if you trust what the D/X web site shows you.. ) Would you say that the one you have has a better/brighter spill beam pattern then what your 16092 had? If so I might just cancel my order before it ships and go with a D-bin..also how did the mid-levels on each compare? Was one brighter than the other?

mtbr member
    I'd say the 22567 has the same floody beam as the 16092 - no spot to speak of yet just more light. Now this could be my luck on the led I got - but I'd have to say I am very happy. I am using the 22567 daily and it is my backup ride light (on the helmet with a MaXx D on the bars. If you can change I'd recommend the 22567 - it is a very nice light. How nice? The best of the budget P7's so far. I'd say swap of DX will facilitate it?

mtbr member
    .... I'd say swap of DX will facilitate it?
    Well, I went ahead and changed the order. Basically it is the same torch just a different emitter ( D-bin ) 22569 . As far as I can remember I don't recall any one saying they ever purchased a P-7 torch that turned out to have a spot beam pattern. Maybe if the D-bin is brighter it will just have more throw and still have loads of spill like the other P-7's. ( I hope, I hope, I hope... ) Regardless, as long as all the modes work without any problems I'll be fine. This torch will be used only when I plan on traveling lite, torches only.
    Cold-A, I do have a question though. Since I've never had a multi-mode torch and these supposedly have "memory".....Does that mean that there is a way to turn the torch off ( without cycling through the modes ) and when you turn it back on it comes back to the last mode it was in? ( I hope, I hope..) If not what is the proceedure?

As usual when I get my order I will put some beam photos up if I see any significant difference between this and my other MTE P-7.

mtbr member
    C-M-D don't worry you'll get the usual P7 floody beam with the 22567 although I think the center spot is brighter. No worries about it being a tight spotlight... It is the perfect bike light or room light.

The memory mode is simple (I don't recall it working on on the 16092 I had). You change modes by a momentary press of the reverse clicky (high/mid/low/strobe/flash). If you stay in a mode for a few seconds this is the mode it comes on in next time. I don't like the strobe - no use for me at all. A three level with flash would be perfect. Oh well. for $30.10 I can't be too fussy.

Anyway I like the memory mode because this because it allows me to start-up in a low or medium mode and cycle to high when I need to.

Go figure. I get memory mode on the $30 DX P7 yet my $400 Exposure MaXx D has a simple cycle...

I wonder when DX will get the Ultrafire protected 3000mAh 18650's?

blet drive
    are you using this as only a bar mount or a helmet mount as well
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5
    are you using this as only a bar mount or a helmet mount as well
    It can be done either way. Bar mounting is of course easier. If your helmet has a good center vent, helmet mounting can be pretty easy as well. Unfortunately all the newer helmets seem to have vent patterns that are not so conducive to helmet mounting.

Cold-A...if your out there I did a review of my new D-bin P-7 torch over in the DIY section.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

I wonder when DX will get the Ultrafire protected 3000mAh 18650's?
    Sku 21474? Added mid March!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy82
    Sku 21474? Added mid March!
    Ah, sweet! Thanks Moggy. Anyone know if these are worth the extra buck$...I mean just how much extra runtime are we going to get? For an extra 10-15min it might be worth it. link > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21474

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hehe... I lent out my Seca 700 and DiNotte 600L, as well as my trusty Fenix L2D Q5, so when we went for a night ride yesterday, I was all...

~ ok, so what do I have left?

I ended up taking my Olight M20 and my Dereelight DBS V2 with the OP reflector. When darkness fell as we were about to descend Mt. Spokane, I lent out the Olight to a dude who had a crummy little commuter light, and used the DBS on my helmet as my only light. Not an ideal setup, but there's no denying its reach... I was riding about 25 meters back from the guy who had my DiNotte 600L, and could still reach a long way past him down the fireroad And that's a good thing, because we encountered dozens of downed trees on the descent

I'd mainly brought the DBS along for the ~50-mile round trip on the highway, not for the off-roading, so when we were done, I loaded up a fresh battery and burned for home, with my reclaimed DiNotte 600L as backup.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anyone know if these are worth the extra buck$
    Not if you need a current >1A
    In a high curent situation these are the best DX 18650
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392

Check out this test
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/....php?p=2957924

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC
    Not if you need a current >1A
    In a high curent situation these are the best DX 18650
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392

Check out this test
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/....php?p=2957924

/Håkan
    SWEDEN
    Thanks for the info. It looks like the red Ultrafires for a torch < 1000ma and For the MCE and P-7 torches either the black Trustfires ( which should provide brighter output for longer periods ) or the Standard Blue Trustfires. I might just have order a set of blacks just to see if they are better than the Blues. It should be noted though that if you intend to mod the torch to work with external batteries a 3 x UltrFire 3000mah parallel set-up would give your P-7 ( or MC-E ) really good run times.

mtbr member
    Notice: This is a duplicate to a post I just posted in the DIY forum. Since it is a continuation of the same subject matter as this thread I thought it prudent to post it here as well. Thanks, Cat..

Unfortunately, once again the weather has not been favorable. Rained bloody hell Friday and then Sunday morning there was a brief shower. I decided not to try the trails. Instead I went for the paved bike paths behind where I live. With the MTE P-7 5-mode on the bars and the Aurora MC-E 2-mode on my helmet I took off. Once again my purpose was to test the mid-mode of the MTE. ( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22569 ) The head of the torch I left adjusted for max throw. Even though the trails I rode are asphalt they were damp and wet in many spots so typical reflectivity was down a tad. First thing I noticed with just the MTE p-7 on was that when I went through sections with lots of turns it was easy to lose the trail as they turned into the darkness. Spill is greatly diminished on mid mode. Still going straight you can see a good 25-45ft without much problem. When you add the light of the Aurora on low everything changes for the better. Turns are no longer a problem. Both lights tend to complement each other although their beam tints are slightly different. This is not really noticeable though once you start riding. Halfway into the ride I decided to tighten the light head back toward the emitter to see if it made a difference. The result was that it created a larger center spot with not much change in the spill. Still, I preferred this beam pattern when bar mounted even though it lowered the throw down to the 30-35ft range. ( remember this is on Mid-mode ~ 130-150lm est. ) With the MTE on Mid-mode and the Aurora on low total output is ~ 250-300lm. Not the greatest amount of light to ride with but I had no problems seeing anything in the 50-70ft range. Now once you decide to turn one of these bad boys to high mode, everything changes. Regardless of which light you turn high you quickly notice that the other beam completely disappears. The 600lm+ high output from one of these torches blows the lower modes away. I really wish the makers of these torch drivers would make a driver that would output a P-7 around 200-250lm in mid-mode. That would just about be perfect for all around use. With two torches ( P-7 and MC-E ) running at that level you would be able to see great and still have good ( 2-2.5hr ) run times with just one battery in each torch. Of course my choice would be to have the drivers so that they both are either 2 modes or 3 modes ( with no bloody strobe modes...sheeesh ) For the time being I will continue to use these torches as they are...besides using lower levels of light is good practice and restores the sense of Real Night Riding. Just remember...with two of these you can go to 1200lm+ at the flick of a couple switches.

mtbr member
    Once again did another "torches only" night ride using the same set-up ( MTE P-7 5-mode and Aurora MCE 2-mode ). A couple days ago I had a problem with my 5-mode. For some reason the the LED got real dim ( about as bright as a display led ) Thinking that the driver or some other electrical connection was having problems I decided to take it apart and poke around before sending it back to D/X. I pulled out the housing for the P-7 and noticed it had some kind of lock ring on it. I unscrewed it and than put it back together again deciding at that point not to precede further because there were no visible wires anywhere. I partially assembled the torch and turned it on. Once again it just barely lit. Then I gave it a gentile tap on the housing and WHOOSH. Full POWER! Not only that but the mid-mode doesn't flicker any more....So anyway I took it out tonight for quick 1 hour ride. Once again using the P-7 on mid-mode and the Aurora on high when needed. The trails I rode were quick and twisty with lots of vegetation limiting visibility. Still the set-up was working very well. I had no problem seeing anything as long as the trail was clear. It's nice to know that if I want to carry lights when I'm not really planning an extended night ride I won't have to load my self down with heavier lights. Just remember when using stuff from D/X ALWAYS carry at least two lights..

Its got what plants crave
    I was thinking about getting some of those 250 lumen small torches for just such a purpose. Summer days are so long that I usually don't need much light, and usually not for more than an hour or so. It would be nice to have a bar mounted "just in case" light, as right now I'm using a 15W 14.4v lithium overvolted halogen setup. It lasts forever and is bright, but its definitely overkill and the wires are a pain. I'm just wondering what setup to go with... there are so many options on DX that it's mind boggling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I was thinking about getting some of those 250 lumen small torches for just such a purpose. Summer days are so long that I usually don't need much light, and usually not for more than an hour or so. It would be nice to have a bar mounted "just in case" light, as right now I'm using a 15W 14.4v lithium overvolted halogen setup. It lasts forever and is bright, but its definitely overkill and the wires are a pain. I'm just wondering what setup to go with... there are so many options on DX that it's mind boggling.
    Yep, I hear what your saying. This is the torch that a lot of people on forum are using for back-up. > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095
    It uses the Cree Q-5 emitter ( 230lm ) with a 18650 li-ion battery. This torch has been talked about a lot. There have been problems with it but recently those problems seem to have gone away.As long as it has the Q-5 emitter it should be fine. I recommend this torch not because I have one but because the people who do ( that got the right emitter ) were pleased that it had a slightly wider beam than most smaller torches. I'd like to have one myself but I already have a slew of smaller torches for back-up. ( note: real output is probably about 210-220lm )
    The reviews claim it runs for 3hrs on high..not sure if I believe that, maybe 1.5 to 2 hours. Like I said, I don't have one so someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Okay, just before dawn here where I am I was fiddling around with my Aurora M3-2 2-mode MC-E torch, wondering if it would be possible to mod it somehow to increase the low mode to about 200lm. The only problem is I'm real scared about screwing the torch up. It works fine as it is and if I screwed the pooch on this I would be out one darn good light. As much as I want to I just couldn't bring my self to start tearing it apart...that is when the thought dawned on me...I don't think I've ever fiddled with it before like I have with my P-7 torches. Since I had such great success in increasing the brightness of the P-7's by just tightening the metal O-rings I thought I'd give my Aurora a quick look'sie. The only thing on the Aurora that looks serviceable is the metal ( brass ) O-ring down near the switch.. I used a pair of small scissors to fit into the notches and turned. I felt the ring turn maybe a 1 or 2mm as it bit further into the end cap. After I put the cap back on I turned it on ( not really expecting anything different ) and almost fell out of my chair! OMG....WHAT THE HELL DID I DO?!! Long story short....I think it picked up at least another 100lm! Don't get me wrong, it was bright before. Maybe somewhere around 600 to 700lm ( with fresh battery ). I look at it this way, it has to be another 100lm brighter because I don't think I could tell that it had changed unless it was at least 100lm. I got so excited I had to quickly throw some clothes on ( I was in bed clothes ) so I could go outside on my balcony to test it. I almost couldn't believe it but DAMN!....THIS THING HAS MORE THROW!...AND THE LIGHT IS WHITER!...
    Now I'm really in trouble. I have to go to sleep but I'm so stoked I'll have to take a Zanax to relax. Can't wait to try this on the trails again.... Three more days till the weekend...can I stand the strain?...

mtbr member
    ... Can't wait to try this on the trails again.... Three more days till the weekend...can I stand the strain?...
    An update to my last post: I got out to try my Aurora last weekend and I was really impressed. Tightening that metal O-ring really did make a difference. Unfortunately most of the trails I rode couldn't really take advantage of the additional throw. Only on the straightaways can it really be noticed. After my ride I did a quickie parking lot test using the same battery and walk-pacing the distance to judge the throw. From where I was standing ( light helmet mounted ) I shone the light toward the end of the parking lot. At the far end there was a red fire hydrant about 2ft. high which was clearly visible. Then I paced out the distance and it fell into the 175ft. range. Of course the light threw further than that and illuminated a white service trailer another 50ft. or more away. Of course a trailer is a large object and easily seen. Most of the time I talk about throw I am talking about "usable throw". I define "usable throw" as the throw that can clearly define a small object ( similar to what you might see on a trail...ie..log, good size rock, etc. ) The Aurora can throw more than 200ft but usable throw is more important. Spending $45 for a torch that can detail objects in the 175ft range ( with tons of spill I might add..) is worth every penny I paid for it. The only thing keeping me from modding this torch using a dummy battery ( for longer run times ) is *the fact that I rarely have had to use more than one battery on most of my rides. (* the bar light I have helps me conserve use of the helmet light along with the low mode on the torch )

Members who have read this thread: 0