newbie needs a light on a budget! (£50)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

newbie needs a light on a budget! (£50)

Hi, Im new to the forum So i hope you dont mind my first post is a question!

Let me tell you about my self and my riding level.

I'm 25, male and newish to riding. I have been ill the last 2-3 years and put on a bit of extra weight. i decided to take up riding mostly for exercise and as a fun way to lose weight. I always ride along the same canal path twice a week with each ride lasting 14 miles ad taking an hour and a half each. The track changes in places but mostly consists of dirt tracks. There is about a mile stretch which is just purely bumpy grass. The track is mostly covered in with bushes each side with a gap of 6-7meters between them. In same places there is just bushes on the one side. There is also NO artificial light any where along the canal This picture is a pretty good example of the track.

Now thatís out the way lol I can get onto my question lol. I always go along the canal at around 6am (so i miss the school kids or old people walking their dogs) The only problem is with the mornings staying darker longer, Iím in need of some decent lights. As i say above ive been off work for 2 years (hopefully not too much longer -_-) so I'm on a pretty tight budget. I would like to go to around £20Ö but im guessing £50 at a HUGE push. There is no way I can go above £50. I never ride on the road so tail lights and 'lights to be seen' arenít an issue. I'm just after a light that brightens the path ahead. Iím not expecting miracles here lol Does any one have ANY suggestions?

These are some lights ive picked out, would you mind just giving me your take on them? Please bare in mind im not a pro, I know the track nearly off by heart and I donít want the best lol Just seeing a good few meter in front of me will be fine. This for an e.g

1:blaze 2w (my fave)
    https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Planet-Bike-B...item3360ec27a5

2: Cateye HL-El135

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/C...ht/5360025763/

3: Cateye EL-530

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/C...ht/5360025758/

Ive even thought about buying a flash light and strapping it to the bike lol

Ill take onboard ANY advice you can give but please try not to suggest lights with price ranges over £50 ($100) It is honetsly the max i can go to. Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    P.s I didnt mean to upload that 2nd image. The view distance was a bit too far lol dont think i could get that with a £50 light. so anything just beyond that gate would be fine. cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    light.
    mount.
    batteries.
    charger.

Use the rest from your budget to grab another flashlight of your choosing as a backup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Or, a Magicshine (not sure what shipping would be).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=15442

Electron 10W+5W seem to get good crit (mostly) at £50

I satrted out on 10W+2.4W haloget "Smart BL twin" similar to above and it was perfect for towpath even, light XC.

Marco.
    www.full-beam.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    By the way, another nice reason to use flashlights as bike lights is that when it isn't being used as a bike light, you still have a great flashlight to use whenever/wherever. So they serve double duty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    light.
    mount.
    batteries.
    charger.

Use the rest from your budget to grab another flashlight of your choosing as a backup.
    Just found ALL of the above in a UK shop tyVM! all came to around £35 tyVM!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by adamknox
    Just found ALL of the above in a UK shop tyVM! all came to around £35 tyVM!
    Also can i use any rehcharable bats on them? Or does it HAVE to be the ones you've linked?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Also can i use any rehcharable bats on them? Or does it HAVE to be the ones you've linked?
    It has to be an 18650 style battery, doesn't have to be the exact one I linked, just so long at it's an 18650.

By the way, if you haven't seen these type of lights before (hi powered LED lights), you're going to be impressed. This flashlight is MUCH brighter then any of the lights you had originally linked above.
    And since you don't really NEED a ton of light for the type of riding you're doing, you can use it on medium and get pretty good run times.

Be sure to post back after you get everything and get a couple rides in to let us know what you think.
    And good luck with your weight loss!
    Last edited by fightnut; 09-19-2010 at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It has to be an 18650 style battery, doesn't have to be the exact one I linked, just so long at it's an 18650.

By the way, if you haven't seen these type of lights before (hi powered LED lights), you're going to be impressed. This flashlight is MUCH brighter then any of the lights you had originally linked above.
    And since you don't really NEED a ton of light for the type of riding you're doing, you can use it on medium and get pretty good run times.

Be sure to post back after you get everything and get a couple rides in to let us know what you think.
    And good luck with your weight loss!
    HI thanks very much! It turned out that the torch i found was based in China (meaning i had to pay custom charges too) but i did find one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Heres the torch by it self
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UltraFire-SSC-...item35ab8c4b58
    Im not sure its the same one! The guy has guarnteed no custom charges, WHat do you think? It says 900 lumens there but every other site is lists 290 lumens.

OR for the same aprice (with charger etc) i can get this one http://www.lumenjunkies.co.uk/%20MTE...3%20SSC%20P7-D Which im 99% sure is the one you suggested above.
    Last edited by adamknox; 09-20-2010 at 04:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My experience is with the ones I linked from Dealextreme, I can't really speak for the other stuff you linked. A lot of people on this forum buy from DX, and several members have that specific light I linked, and like it.

DX ships free to anywhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My experience is with the ones I linked from Dealextreme, I can't really speak for the other stuff you linked. A lot of people on this forum buy from DX, and several members have that specific light I linked, and like it.

DX ships free to anywhere.

I would be more than happy to order from there its just custom charges. Do you get charged when it gets to customs? I guess its different for the U.S Here we get charged TAX, dutie charges + admin charges on somethings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Do you get charged when it gets to customs?.

Nope, totally free shipping to U.S.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nope, totally free shipping to U.S.
    :'( lucky you lol well..i guess i could give it a go! If its as good as you say and the vids on youtube.. it will be worth it

rjx
    mtbr member
    light.
    mount.
    batteries.
    charger.

The link for the light is dead. Which light was it? Thanks
    Last edited by rjx; 05-03-2011 at 07:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rjx
    The link for the light is dead. Which light was it?%0="hidden0AThanks

I think they stopped carrying it, and then started carrying it again. Here it is: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...-1-18650-50316

rjx
    mtbr member
    I think they stopped carrying it, and then started carrying it again. Here it is: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...-1-18650-50316
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hi, forgot about this post lol, Just wanted to add i bought this light and it was simply amazing. Its light a car headlight on full beam!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    third one looks good

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For $20.00 I just got the SPOK set. i just didn't want anything big anf goofy. I'm actually supprised, they're super bright!

Members who have read this thread: 0