Newbie looking for cheap flashlight setup...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Newbie looking for cheap flashlight setup...

Hey all,

I'm new to the whole, night-riding thing and am looking for an "entry level" flashlight setup. In reality, I probably won't be doing much true night riding, as much as I will likely be using the light for some extra viability as the days get shorter (I tend to ride right after work).

I have done a bit of reading in this forum and it seems there are a ton of options for flashlights/mounts/batteries/chargers from Dealextreme. What I am hoping is that someone with more knowledge than me could recommend a simple, inexpensive setup (perhaps even with links to the site).

Ideally I'd like one light for the handlebar and one for my helmet for under $100 if possible!

Thanks!

Brian

mtbr member

mtbr member
    1. Out of stock

2. Not a flashlight

3. Several bad reviews around here...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus
    1. Out of stock
    Yeah, for like one week.... how long do you think will it take for your DX order to get to you? Free shipping is free for a reason... Plus Geoman has excellent reputation, versus the unknown persons behind DX, who don't answer email too often (try to get a refund for a faulty product...).

2. Not a flashlight
    Thank goodness!

3. Several bad reviews around here...
    Show me one. I haven't seen one bad review since it came out. In fact, people were praising for its price/performance... which is unbeatable at the moment.
    Well, anyway... YMMV. Enjoy your DX experience!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I can see this thread dying pretty quick....

For what its worth I'm in a similar boat to trumpus. I ride on an evening, and now when I'm heading home its getting dark. I'm not a downhiller or anything (live in the prairies!) I'm just riding single track and a little on the road.

Would like to be able to see for $100 and I'm blown away by all the options.

Are these lights rechargeable? I see this light uses 4 x 18650 batteries? What are they, and do you have to keep buying new ones?

mtbr member
    If you are only using it for riding, why do you want a flashlight?

Yeah, they are rechargeable, no you don't have to buy new ones. (but they do sell spare battery packs.)

read thru the nine million posts in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=521241

mtbr member
    Would this not work - for the same price as one Magicshine, I'd get a bar light AND a helmet light...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    Yeah, for like one week.... how long do you think will it take for your DX order to get to you? Free shipping is free for a reason... Plus Geoman has excellent reputation, versus the unknown persons behind DX, who don't answer email too often (try to get a refund for a faulty product...).

Thank goodness!

Show me one. I haven't seen one bad review since it came out. In fact, people were praising for its price/performance... which is unbeatable at the moment.
    Well, anyway... YMMV. Enjoy your DX experience!

I stand corrected - considering the MagicShine now...thanks for the info...

mtbr member
    dont go the flashlight route, it really is inferior. if they worked great people would be building DIY flashlights and not DIY lamps. having a wider reflector really makes a difference.

she keep you buying rats
    I know 3 or 4 guys that use 2 of these from Dealextreme, TrustFire TR-801's and they're $16.42 each

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15335

They have a pretty broad beam and are very bright for their small package.

They use the "twofish" style mount, like this:

Since you mention that you probably won't be doing much true night riding they should work real well... and even with extra batteries and charger they'd be well under $100.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I stand corrected, ignore this post. My bad.
    Last edited by fightnut; 09-16-2009 at 01:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    dont go the flashlight route, it really is inferior. if they worked great people would be building DIY flashlights and not DIY lamps. having a wider reflector really makes a difference.
    I can only assume you haven't seen beam shots from the SSC P7's? There are $50 flashlights out there that put off a brighter/better beam then some $300 "bike lights".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    This is the second thread you've started that asks the same question.
    I even told you in the other thread that you started which keywords to use in the search.
    This is the only thread I've started regarding this question - the other thread you refer to was another OP's in which I asked a specific question. As your general response to "go search for certain terms" was not exactly the answer I was looking for, I decided to ask the question more specifically in a separate thread, rather than continue to hijack the OP's thread.

As you can see, I am a newb to night riding and all things flashlight/bike light so I am looking for specific recommendations...I think I've got what I need, now, so thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    To answer your question in post #7, I think you made good choices are far as the lights, batteries and charger, but I'm not a fan of the one mount you chose (sku#15342).

I actually like sku# 8274. I have one of these and a Twofish, and this one is actually steadier when I hit rough ground. The Twofish does occasionally bounce/bobble on rough ground, and I have it tightened up pretty good.

Now, sku# 8274 doesn't quite fit oversized bars, BUT, I recently read a tip from someone to use zip ties instead of the bolt. And you can get the re-usable type of zip ties so you don't have to cut them when you want to take it off.

My light doesn't bobble at all in this mount, and yet I can easily remove the light and leave the mount on the bar if I need to.

Nowt to do with NKOTB!
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    I can only assume you haven't seen beam shots from the SSC P7's? There are $50 flashlights out there that put off a brighter/better beam then some $300 "bike lights".

Trumpus: I'm new to night niding too, I agree the options are vast and it is confusing at the start. This is the route I went down and am very happy with it. It is not the way to do it but it is one way to do it especiallly on a budget. I was also going to get a bar mounted flood but dont see the need for my requirements.

Torch link

Battery link

Charger link

Mount link

HTH, Tim
    Last edited by Dirty Dawg; 09-20-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0