Newb night rider- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Newb night rider

Decided I wanted to be able to ride at night or at least extend my rides into dark, so I just ordered up a MS900.

I already had a Planet Bike Blaze 1 watt light that I used for commuting and carried for emergencies. I've only ridden out a few times after dark with it, it worked but I had to take it slow. I really felt the lack of a helmet light limited me.

I was planning to run the "planet bike" light on my bars to light up the front tire and run the MS on my helmet. I probably would have bought the MS 1400/900 combo but they were out of stock on the 1400's. So, maybe after a while I'll add in a 1400 or something similar on the bars but for now this will hopefully allow me to do some night riding. Thoughts?

Any other advice for a newb night rider?

I figured I'll try it out on easy trails that I'm already familiar with, and take the usual precautions like letting the wife know where I'm riding, when I should be back, carry my cell phone, etc.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

buddy up

I suggest riding with someone else, but you have the right idea, easy familiar trails, etc. Also I would bring extra batteries/back up light, extra clothes, rear blinky light, and a sense of adventure!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    I was planning to run the "planet bike" light on my bars to light up the front tire and run the MS on my helmet. for now this will hopefully allow me to do some night riding. Thoughts?

I think you got a good plan

I agree with wookie about riding with someone too, much safer that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    I think you got a good plan

I agree with wookie about riding with someone too, much safer that way.
    I sent my usual riding buddy an email telling him to get some lights. He's in the same boat as me (baby at home). Might be the only way we get to do much riding for a while. That and with winter coming riding after work is gonna mean needing lights.

And I do always carry a headlamp (even on morning rides!). I just find it easier to leave it in my pack all the time.

Members who have read this thread: 0