New to Night Riding - Do the O-Ring mounts hold up to rough trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New to Night Riding - Do the O-Ring mounts hold up to rough trails?

I've been out of night riding for a while - my last light was a Night Rider dual lens with big bottle mounted battery 15+ years ago.

I've been on the Action Led website and like the offerings from Magicshine, but the o-ring mount just doesn't seem like it will hold up to a fast rocky trail. I'd like to keep my handlebar light under $100. I'm looing at the Xeccon Spiker 1210 from mtbrevolution, which is a bit more than $100 ($120), but mostly for the solid mount. Amazon has a Spiker 1210 setup for $79 that looks good, but comes with a plastic mount. Anyway - any thoughts on these is appreciated.

My main question is - for those with the o-ring mounted handlebar lights are they staying put when you ride rough trails.
    Early bird may get the worm.... but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Action LED Lights
    If the light is not to heavy the O-ring mounts do a good job. For lights like the Magicshine MJ-816 which is a bit top heavy they do not work so well on rough trails. For added security you can wrap the bar with a little Friction Tape (as is used on baseball bat handles or hockey sticks) It's available at most hardware stores.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    If the light is not to heavy the O-ring mounts do a good job. For lights like the Magicshine MJ-816 which is a bit top heavy they do not work so well on rough trails. For added security you can wrap the bar with a little Friction Tape (as is used on baseball bat handles or hockey sticks) It's available at most hardware stores.
    I had a MagicShine MJ-816 and I can attest to the O-Ring not being secure enough on rough trails. It would shake like a wet dog, and eventually rotate downward. At first, I would replace the o-ring with a couple small tie-wraps, and that worked just well enough most of the time, but I did have them snap a couple times, and that is an experience that you don't want to have. I eventually customized a clamp mount from an old halogen mount, and that lasted until the wiring went south on the light. If the wiring was better quality, I would have kept using the MJ-816. I really liked the beam pattern and the adjustability that the dimmer system allowed. Great idea, mediocre execution.

Many of the cheap chinese lights that utilize the o-ring mounts have issues on the trail. If you get one, I would recommend filling in the hollowed out portion of the mount (except for where the screw attaches the mount to the light) to make it mostly solid. I used epoxy. That keeps them from breaking. Or better yet, find one of the clamp mounts sold on ebay, and ditch the o-ring setup altogether.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have GoPro adapters for many brands and models of lights.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    For my older Lupines I that came with two different sized O-Rings instead of using the bigger O-Ring on my larger bars I stretched the smaller O-Ring to fit. It never budged, but Lupine uses beefier O-Rings than what I have received with any of my other lights so that helps too. I replaced my Nitefighter BT40s mount and O-Ring with a spare Lupine mount and O-ring and I'm much happier with it.

mtbr member
    I just got my Spiker 1210 on Saturday. I didn't like the helmet mount that came with it so I am using the mount from my old NightRider halogen light from about the same era as yours. It is working very well. The screw that holds the mounts to the lights are the same size so it made the swap easy.

New to Night Riding - Do the O-Ring mounts hold up to rough trails?-nightrider-mount-2.jpg

Action LED Lights
    We have a clamp type quick release mount that holds an MJ-816 quite securely. It should work on any of the older Magicshines (except the 880) and a lot of other lights that use the same mount. (which has become generic in the cheap Chinese light world)

Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    I've used O-rings on the cheaper Chinese lights, specifically the BT40s and Yinding. They're both very light light heads. I originally had a little issue with the BT40s, as the ring that I used wasn't tight enough. Another issue is that bars are tapered, so the O-ring may be tighter toward the stem and a bit looser outwards. I've taken to using really tight O-rings and haven't had any problems. The only concern now is that the plastic hook on these lights will break off from the pressure -- but that hasn't happened yet. Overall, though, I'm happy with the O-ring setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I've had good luck with the O-rings so far. The big advantage with O-rings is they are inexpensive and dead simple to use. I cut a strip of thin rubber about an inch wide and wrap it around my bars before putting the light / O-ring over it. It helps the light stay put even on the roughest descents. Carry a spare O-ring in your pocket just in case. New to Night Riding - Do the O-Ring mounts hold up to rough trails?-dsc_1791.jpg

I like turtles
    O-ring mounts going strong for me for ~4 years. Never had an issue. I am not riding gnar/DH...just regular XC.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

It's too hot! SuperModerator
    Orings suck for me. Action LED Lights...which mount would work with my light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Your light is pretty heavy and mount is not centered. This is the main problem with it. You should use some good grip rubber instead of foam on the mount. It might be better but not sufficient.

RAKC
    with lights that big, probably better to go with either the hope universal mount or switch to gopro mount and adapter. Thats a downside of buying random cheap chinese lights, they all use the same mount regardless of size and weight. Check Action-LED-Lights.com see if they happen to have anything but besides gorpro adapting I havent seen much else that will handle a light that big.

mtbr member
    Condoor, we have some alloy mounts in Colorado. Happy to sent you one for $20 inc delivery.

Alternatively if you or anyone else wants a Panasonic 6800 or 10,200 battery we can give away a mount with any sold. Please refer to pics below.

New to Night Riding - Do the O-Ring mounts hold up to rough trails?-mtbrevolution-alloy-mount.jpgNew to Night Riding - Do the O-Ring mounts hold up to rough trails?-spiker-1210-alloy-mount.jpgNew to Night Riding - Do the O-Ring mounts hold up to rough trails?-1210-alloy-mount.jpg

While we are talking mounts, we've been selling our S12's fitted to full face helmets for e-bikes and motorised trailbikes riders. All they need to do is clip it to a GoPro base stuck to the helmets. They can angle them to personal preference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to Night Riding - Do the O-Ring mounts hold up to rough trails?-s12-gopro-mount.jpg  

Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

It's too hot! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    Your light is pretty heavy and mount is not centered. This is the main problem with it. You should use some good grip rubber instead of foam on the mount. It might be better but not sufficient.
    The light was sent to me as a gift by a relative. I see the mount is not centered, that's why I wanna find one where I can tighten it well enough.

smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    While we are talking mounts, we've been selling our S12's fitted to full face helmets for e-bikes and motorised trailbikes riders. All they need to do is clip it to a GoPro base stuck to the helmets. They can angle them to personal preference.New to Night Riding - Do the O-Ring mounts hold up to rough trails?-s12-gopro-mount.jpg
    Where can I buy the GoPro mount?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for all of the responses! I ordered an Xeccon S12 yesterday and will play around with different mounting options.

Leonard - I sent you a PM with more questions
    Vancbiker - I sent you an email

EAT MORE GRIME
    O rings work for well centered lights.

NITERIDER TAKE NOTE:

I may have kept buying niteriders and not gone the cheap chinese route, but your lights center of mass is too far forward and never, ever with any niterider mount system I had, have your biggest lights been able to be kept in place when I am hammering chundery singletrack. I either have to overtighten the ever living crap out of it if there is a screw there, or if a rubber strap, it never ever works.

but hey now I use cheap lights which get me the lumens and runtimes I wants, so no need for non-centered lights and the worrisome sloppy or overtightened mounts and sore fingers or tools required.

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    Where can I buy the GoPro mount?

That's a STANDARD GOPRO MOUNT with a standard extension that only the short section is being used. Just get the gopro bag of mounts off amazon or in stores. All done....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    That's a STANDARD GOPRO MOUNT with a standard extension that only the short section is being used. Just get the gopro bag of mounts off amazon or in stores. All done....
    tigris is correct. They are found everywhere. I get mine from ebay. For ebay just product search "GoPro J Hook" and "GoPro straight adaptor".
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just wanted to chime in with my experience night riding with a couple popular "overseas" lights that utilize the o-ring mounts: (magicshine clone, and solarstorm x2)

For both of these lights, the mounts are backed with cheap, non-rubberized foam - so they tend to slip. The magicshine clone slips more for the obvious reason (top-heavy). The solarstorm is lighter, lower profile, and has a centered mount - so it doesn't slip as much.

That said, if you have long descents, play it safe and ensure the lights won't move, because once you get going, there's no way you're going to want to take a hand off to re-adjust the lights. I use something called Mastic Tape. it's a self-sealing rubber that has a super sticky adhesive on one side. I tape this on the handlebars; much like others have suggested with grip tape, inner tube, rubber strips, etc. It's found in your local hardware store, generally in the electrical aisle.

** For those DIYers out there, you might know mastic tape as the stuff used to make downtube and chainstay protectors... so, bonus.

Since mastic is actual rubber, the light's mount kinda sinks into it... as does the o-ring around the bottom... and it nearly guarantees no movement. It's also nice insurance to prevent the mount from scratching the handlebars (especially useful if you have carbon bars).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxc.com View Post
    ........I use something called Mastic Tape. it's a self-sealing rubber that has a super sticky adhesive on one side. I tape this on the handlebars; much like others have suggested with grip tape, inner tube, rubber strips, etc. It's found in your local hardware store, generally in the electrical aisle.
    Doesn't that leave a pretty gooey mess on the bars when you remove the light?
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Doesn't that leave a pretty gooey mess on the bars when you remove the light?
    Nah... the "sticky" adhesive part goes down on the bars. the "top" of the mastic tape is soft rubber. Mind you, the rubber is "tacky" like your tires, and dust/dirt will be attracted to it. But it will not leave any mess.

As mentioned before, there's a few ppl here who tape this stuff to their downtubes and chainstays. Basically, it's a single-sided adhesive rubber strip, in a roll.

Edit: trying to add an image to this post.
    Name:  mastic_tape.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  26.9 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    Condoor, we have some alloy mounts in Colorado. Happy to sent you one for $20 inc delivery.

Alternatively if you or anyone else wants a Panasonic 6800 or 10,200 battery we can give away a mount with any sold. Please refer to pics below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtbrevolution Alloy Mount.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	1026673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spiker 1210 Alloy Mount.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	1026674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1210 with Alloy Mount.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	1026675

While we are talking mounts, we've been selling our S12's fitted to full face helmets for e-bikes and motorised trailbikes riders. All they need to do is clip it to a GoPro base stuck to the helmets. They can angle them to personal preference.
    I received the S12 yesterday, and looking at the mount pictured above, it doesn't look like this will work with the S12, as the S12 screw and cord are opposite the light in the pic - meaning the cord comes out of the middle of the light and the screw is toward the rear.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Orings suck for me. Action LED Lights...which mount would work with my light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How about taking the mount off and showing a picture of the top of the mount and bottom of the light. That would give me a good idea if our mount would work.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights