New Magicshine lights- Mtbr.com
    Action LED Lights

New Magicshine lights

We've received the new Magicshine lights and have done our beam pattern test on them so I thought I'd share those results here and our general impressions.

First, on all the models - The new designs use a die-cast body with a plastic trim piece that dresses up the light and protects the hand from a hot light. They all include a new stainless steel mount that seems bulletproof. It also traps the O-ring in front and hooks in back. The sets include a new mounting strap (O-ring) with 2 attachment loops for different size bars.
    Name:  MJ-902-2.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  75.1 KB
    The control circuit is mounted up top and with the led's and optics mounted on the front. We found all the lights to have ample cooling surface area with the large fins in the back. Magicshine has changed the way they handle over heating. We ran a high power no air test on each and the lights gradually cut back the power until a safe equilibrium was reached. With 65˚F ambient air each leveled out at about 60%-70% power and then increased back to 100% when moving air was restored. A big improvement from just suddenly switching to low.
    Magicshine has aggressively cut their prices on these new lights. The MJ-902, MJ-906, and MJ-908 all include a new 20 lumen tail light which is powered via a Y-cable and a new wireless remote switch which controls the headlight and tail light. (each also has a top switch)
    The battery's have all moved up to LG cells with higher capacities and a new streamlined form factor. The MJ-900, 902, and 906 use the standard round connector. The MJ-908 uses a 4 pin gold plated connector. (I assume to handle the current needed)

Beam Test:
    For these test we placed a light meter 10 feet from the light. The light is mounted on a machinist turntable that allows us to adjust it's aim up and down and side to side. The light is slowly moved to center the beam on the meter and then the light intensity is recorded as the light is rotated in 1˚ increments side to side. This is light intensity (LUX) we are measuring, not lumens. A high peak intensity determines how much throw the light has. A wider curve means the beam will light a larger area. (flood beam) To compare these light with other lights we sell see BEAM PATTERN TEST.

The Results:

New Magicshine lights-mj-900-series-beam-test.png

MTBR has not done a lumen test on these lights and I don't believe Magicshine has submitted samples yet, though I'm encouraging them to do so. However, comparing the output of these light with ones that have been tested, it's obvious that their claims of 1000 lumens per XM-L2 are definitely exaggerated. Still, for the price I think they can offer some real value.

MJ-900
    Peak brightness about 550 lux, about a 15˚ beam spread, $59.99
    This could make a great commuter light at a very affordable price. This thing is small! - L45W33H38mm and only 2.5oz
    Includes a 2.6Ah 2 cell battery.

MJ-902
    About the same peak brightness as the MJ-900 but a wider beam. Don't be put off by the diagonal placement of the led's. 20ft out there the 1/2" offset is irrelevant. I thought this light would have more throw but the smaller optics are less able to focus the light. This light uses the same body as the MJ-900 so it's the same size and weight. The set includes the tail light and wireless remote for $119.99
    Includes a 5.2Ah 4 cell battery.

MJ-906
    With even smaller optics per led, this light and the MJ-908 are wide flood beams similar to the older MJ-872 but with considerable more power.
    $159.99 with the tail light and wireless remote.
    L56W43H50mm (I'll have to add the weight later)
    Includes a 7.8Ah 6 cell battery.

MJ-908
    With 8 XM-L2 led's this one puts out a lot of light over a wide area to light your entire field of view. But the claimed 8000 lumens is way overstated.
    $239.99 with tail light and wireless remote.
    L73W54H62mm
    This light includes an 8 cell 10.4Ah battery with 4 pin connector.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

smartass
    The new batteries look good. Will they be available for purchase separately?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Those are some nice looking lights.

How does the 908 compare to the older 880? Is your test setup the same as the last time you published these curves? I could then just compare the curves directly.

You should try to convince Magicshine to not overstate their lumens claims. It's a universally hated practice! Some people don't buy their lights for that reason alone. Especially if they overstate it by 100% or more.

Are they considering neutral white tints? It seems to be a big movement around here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    MJ-908
    With 8 XM-L2 led's this one puts out a lot of light over a wide area to light your entire field of view. But the claimed 8000 lumens is way overstated.
    Of course. But is there actual data about lumen output available somewhere?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    The new batteries look good. Will they be available for purchase separately?
    We should have some in about a month. I had requested some with this order but they sent me the old style. I have a new order going in this week.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Those are some nice looking lights.

How does the 908 compare to the older 880? Is your test setup the same as the last time you published these curves? I could then just compare the curves directly.

You should try to convince Magicshine to not overstate their lumens claims. It's a universally hated practice! Some people don't buy their lights for that reason alone. Especially if they overstate it by 100% or more.

Are they considering neutral white tints? It seems to be a big movement around here.
    The 880 is a pretty sharp spot beam. The 908 is a wide flood.
    The test should be the same. I plan to redo some of the older test to confirm.
    I sent an email this morning asking Magicshine for some real numbers and trying to convince them to start using them. They had started with the Eagle 600 and 700 but changed their mind with these for some reason.
    No talk of neutral whites.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I own a MJ-908 and a Eagle F3 , I think Eagle F3( 3000 real lumens) has far more power lights than MJ-908( MJ-908 power is similar to Nitefighter BT70) plus Eagle F3 has a very good handlebar mount and MJ-908 has a shit mount (I still have to think how can solveit) ,Eagle F3 batery is long duration very good one and MJ-908 let me in the dark in the first ride.Both of them have very good quality lights.Good things about MJ-908 is nice finish , good batery mount ,light weight pack.
    My actual light sistem quiver is: Light&montion SECA 1700 and 1400 , Eagle F3 , MJ-908 , S3 solar storm ,Exposure Diablo ,02 Nitefighter BT70 and 01 BT20 ordered to GB(one day it will be send).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here's Jim's original post for those that are interested
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ed-843925.html

Love these types of charts Jim!