New Magic Shines up to 1600 lumens- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

New Magic Shines up to 1600 lumens

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Looks like Ive got to get a new lighthead,
    Gee Honey my light just quit working I HAVE to get a new one!
    I wonder if Geomans going to start carrying these
    I like the lens
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    Looks like Ive got to get a new lighthead,
    Gee Honey my light just quit working I HAVE to get a new one!
    I wonder if Geomans going to start carrying these
    I like the lens
    Yep, you might want to wait to see what the BikeRay IV looks like. Well actually we already do if this photo is correct ( see photo below )

It looks a lot different than the MJ872. My bet is that the MJ872 will be more of a massive flood judging from the lens cover but of course that remains to be seen.

Now we just have to wait to see what LED the BR IV is using. Might be worth the wait. I have a feeling the BR people will respond real soon.

Below BikeRay IV
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting - the headline is waterproof, but the rating is only IPX4.

Similarly it would still seem to use the same battery @ 44oo mAh hence the reported run time of 2 hours.

Seem to have listened to the bleating about flash modes as it has none. Me I prefer a flashing mode to use in daylight but you pays your money & make your choice

mtbr member
    Ya it looks real floody with that lens, and that's what I'm looking for. I thought about the RaylV before I saw this thread. But you nailed it Massive flood by the looks of it... I love all the choices we are getting now days
    Last edited by Rakuman; 05-15-2011 at 07:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think RSchultz will come out with a flood lens for the BR-IV before long if he hasn't already done so...

Rob, care to chime in?

EDIT: Having said that, judging by the looks of the BR-IV, it appears the main body doesn't have a front twist off face to access it. Correct me if wrong please...
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 05-15-2011 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Idea! Two BIG questions

As far as I can tell, there are two BIG questions....

1. Batt quality and real burring time.
    2. General quality of the unit.

ooops, it is three

mtbr member
    Battery wise I would either use one of the ones I put together one of Geomans new ones, or an open light system.
    build quality I have 8 MS lightheads with zero problems so far, I think they have gotten a little better with their quality control. it would be great if you can buy this as just a lighthead.
    Now their batteries are another story I don't trust anything coming out of china, battery wise

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    Battery wise I would either use one of the ones I put together one of Geomans new ones, or an open light system.
    build quality I have 8 MS lightheads with zero problems so far, I think they have gotten a little better with their quality control. it would be great if you can buy this as just a lighthead.
    Now their batteries are another story I don't trust anything coming out of china, battery wise

Is it possible to get some links and Pics and more info ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eranpeled
    Is it possible to get some links and Pics and more info ?

Links and pics of what? I don't have the new heads just various MS lightheads

mtbr member

ooops, it is three

Yep, the batteries will always be a question but I think you should get 2hrs on high. Not long ago I was searching the web trying to find a place I could buy single Panasonic 2900mAh 18650 cells. I happened upon a Chinese web site selling them ( not singles) but by the carton! This got me thinking....Are these real Pansonic's or are these Chinese knock-offs with a pirated label? There really is no way to know for sure. The Chinese don't have to honor copyright law. Anyway, just saying...

First I think the real question is output. Are these really putting out 1600 lumen?
    My gut feeling....Me thinks not. Maybe somewhere around 1300lm but we will see.
    Another important question: Is the beam pattern going to be better and more usable than previous offerings? Once again, remains to be seen.

Lastly, I really had to laugh at the OP. I mean that link was ridiculous!! Did you see that price! $599 ! Thanks to znomit for being quick to post a link with a normal price...geezz!
    I came this close ( >< ) to hitting the "bad post" button on the OP just for the link. However since it was an opening post telling people about the new light AND since znomit was quick to follow I decided to just let it all speak for itself. Shame, Shame on the OP opening link though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    I think RSchultz will come out with a flood lens for the BR-IV before long if he hasn't already done so...

Rob, care to chime in?

EDIT: Having said that, judging by the looks of the BR-IV, it appears the main body doesn't have a front twist off face to access it. Correct me if wrong please...
    The little indents on the ring in front of the optic are for screwing it down maybe?

Hopefully they are using off the shelf optics and we can order as required.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Lastly, I really had to laugh at the OP. I mean that link was ridiculous!! Did you see that price! $599 !
    Not 599$ .... look again. Price is pretty good.

mtbr member
    ...Lastly, I really had to laugh at the OP. I mean that link was ridiculous!! Did you see that price! $599 ! Thanks to znomit for being quick to post a link with a normal price...geezz!...
    OP's link is to a South African Website, 600 ZAR (Rand) is about $85 US.

However, the website price is actually 1,599 ZAR, or "R 1 599", R = Rand, and using the typical euro convention of using a space instead of a comma to separate the 1000's. Which makes it about $225 US...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    OP's link is to a South African Website, 600 ZAR (Rand) is about $85 US.

However, the website price is actually 1,599 ZAR, or "R 1 599", R = Rand, and using the typical euro convention of using a space instead of a comma to separate the 1000's. Which makes it about $225 US...

Yeah, I figured the cost might have gotten lost in translation. I didn't know what the "R" stuff was about. I figured if the post link was in English it should of at least used a more Western currency...dollars, pound sterling, Euro.... but the freeking Rand?...... Okay just shoot me.. whatever, I earn no award here for international banking knowledge. Good to know that they weren't asking $599 but they certainly fooled me. And now back to the regularly scheduled MagicS*** thread.

mtbr member
    Okay just shoot me..
    BANG

mtbr member
    ".... two way switch system, allowing you to move from bright to dim or dim to bright, eliminating the need to cycle through every brightness setting to get to the setting you are looking for."

Finally no cycling through stupid modes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    BANG

OHHH.....NOOOOO!!!

One life down...8 more smart-alecky lives left.....

GeoMan
    That's correct, you need to use the tip of a screwdriver to tighten the bezel at the front of the lighthead

Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    The little indents on the ring in front of the optic are for screwing it down maybe?

Hopefully they are using off the shelf optics and we can order as required.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    You will get 2 hours 15 mins on high on either a GMG or OLS 4.5Ah battery on high. Will be 3 hrs on a GMG 6.0Ah

We have been testing this lighthead for a few months, we are waiting for a change in the lens to improve beam pattern.

ooops, it is three

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    You will get 2 hours 15 mins on high on either a GMG or OLS 4.5Ah battery on high. Will be 3 hrs on a GMG 6.0Ah

We have been testing this lighthead for a few months, we are waiting for a change in the lens to improve beam pattern.

I am assuming that the new model light head is compatible with the new Geoman battery packs that are rolling out now. If that is the case, I hope that you offer the light as a light head only option as well so I can upgraded the set of MJ-808's on my road bike for these new ones.

GeoMan
    Correct MJ-872 has a vast amount of flood, the diffuser lens spreads it too wide in our opinion. We requested a different lens 2 months ago on receipt of our initial sample, we haven't seen it yet. This lighthead with a clear 18-20 degree optic will be amazing, the lighthead weighs under 100grams. Get's hot quickly on high with those 4 XP-Gs running as hard as they are. You will get a better level of useable light from the Bikeray III than with the MS Quad with the diffuser. If they change the diffuser lens it will be a different story.

Yep, you might want to wait to see what the BikeRay IV looks like. Well actually we already do if this photo is correct ( see photo below )

It looks a lot different than the MJ872. My bet is that the MJ872 will be more of a massive flood judging from the lens cover but of course that remains to be seen.

Now we just have to wait to see what LED the BR IV is using. Might be worth the wait. I have a feeling the BR people will respond real soon.

Below BikeRay IV
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Yes all of our lightsets will include a lighthead only option for existing customers to upgrade, we won't stock this MJ-872 until Magicshine offers a clear optic. The output is not nearly what it should be with the current diffuser optic. We have tested this lighthead with GeoManGear and Open-Light Systems battery pack, both yield the same burntime, 2.25 hours on high.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris RX-7
    I am assuming that the new model light head is compatible with the new Geoman battery packs that are rolling out now. If that is the case, I hope that you offer the light as a light head only option as well so I can upgraded the set of MJ-808's on my road bike for these new ones.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Thanks Geoman
    That answers a lot of ?, looks like I will wait till they get the clear lenses and you start to carry them.

Its got what plants crave
    Rad, hope the batteries are better than the last batch.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just got mine, output seems pretty low TBH, Very much a flooed, but get blown away by my XML T6 light so id say its 800 - 900 lumens at most. pretty simialr output to the 816!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy82
    Just got mine, output seems pretty low TBH, Very much a flooed, but get blown away by my XML T6 light so id say its 800 - 900 lumens at most. pretty simialr output to the 816!
    Right, its almost been a day. Where are the beamshots and internal teardown pics.
    Especially dimensions for the optic so we can find a replacement...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks. and found a great site from you guys!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Has anyone received one of these yet? I'd be interested in a real user report.

Cheers

Oz

TLO
    Ride more ***** less
    Sep 2009
    Those were my thoughts when i first saw that light head. Way to much flood. I went with the MS 808E two of them on the helmet with a low profile custom mount.
    Lovin the hardtail

mtbr member

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Right, its almost been a day. Where are the beamshots and internal teardown pics.
    Especially dimensions for the optic so we can find a replacement...
    Be patient... I'm currently working on the review and I think I'll manage to post it on weekend.

Some teaser....

Magic 872 - low

Members who have read this thread: 0