New Lights from Raveman! CR-700 & PR-800- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Lights from Raveman! CR-700 & PR-800

Okay, not sure how these got by me but on the Raveman website I noticed a couple new offerings. Both the new CR-700 and the new dual emitter PR-800 are similar in form factor to the other Raveman lights but these new ones offer one very interesting upgrade....."the ability to extend run time with an external USB battery bank".

The new 700 also has a set of small side lights which should appeal to many who insist that such makes a difference. What I don't understand is why they chose to only use a 2600mAh battery. Whatever, with the option to use an external battery no real battery worries if you're the type of person who likes to ride longer at night. Otherwise the 1.6 hr run time on high with just the internal battery should be enough for most people looking for a basic commuter type light. Gone though is the digital display you get with the CR-900. That said personally I think the option to run an external battery trumps the digital display but that's just my opinion.

The new PR-800 is sort of a mixed bag. Outfitted with dual XP-G2's the highest single emitter output is only 400 lumen. Both on high though is 800 and that should make for a very nice MTB bar lamp. Once again, the 800 is able to utilize a USB battery bank for extended run time. Personally I'd have a hard choosing between the new PR-800 and the older PR-1200 simply because the 1200 has a brighter single emitter output ( XM-L2 ) @ 600 lumen and the 1200 has the digital display and more over all output ( @ 1200 lumen ).

I love my CR-900 but I have to admit I don't always use the highest output so the new 700 would be right up my alley. I just wish they had used an internal battery with more capacity. Now if they would just make the other models usable with external battery and make the CR-900 with a slightly larger capacity internal battery I would be ecstatically happy.

Right now I see no price listing on the Raveman dot com website for the new lamps so maybe they aren't available as yet. Rakc, your input would be welcome if you have anything to add to what I just said.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 10-07-2018 at 10:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Prices for the new models (CR700 and PR800) are shown here:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/front-b...n&currency=EUR

A test of the CR700 by The Subjective Cyclist is here:
    https://www.subjectivecyclist.com/ra...00--cr900.html

According to the Subjective Cyclist the CR900 will be updated and will support to run with an external battery bank.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    The new PR-800 is sort of a mixed bag. Outfitted with dual XP-G2's the highest single emitter output is only 400 lumen. Both on high though is 800 and that should make for a very nice MTB bar lamp. Once again, the 800 is able to utilize a USB battery bank for extended run time. Personally I'd have a hard choosing between the new PR-800 and the older PR-1200 simply because the 1200 has a brighter single emitter output ( XM-L2 ) @ 600 lumen and the 1200 has the digital display and more over all output ( @ 1200 lumen ).
    Or there's the PR-900 that has all the features of the PR-1200 with an extra half hour of runtime. I borrowed my stpefather's PR-1200 earlier this yr. to compare it to my PR-900 and concluded there was so little difference (beam pattern, perceived brightness) in performance that I would pick the 900 over the 1200 for the extra runtime. Running in the high mode (not boost) the PR-900's XPG emitters produced a slightly narrower but still very wide beam with identical max. lux readings (throw measurement) as the PR-1200's XML emitters. So you can pick the plain jane (no OLED display) PR-800 that potentially has the most runtime (with an additional power source that requires being tethered to the light with a usb cord and a place to be mounted), or the 2.5 hr. runtime in high PR-900 with the nice OLED display, or the 2 hr. runtime in high but slightly more powerful (mostly used for a wider beam) PR-1200. Seems like a lot of manufacturing effort going into producing 3 different lights that do pretty much the same thing. Excellent quality and one of the best for value vs. performance have me wishing for less choices of minimally different self-contained lights and maybe a good 1500+ lumen lighthead with a seperate battery from Ravemen.
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 10-09-2018 at 01:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy-DK View Post
    Prices for the new models (CR700 and PR800) are shown here:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/front-b...ravemenĄcy=EUR

A test of the CR700 by The Subjective Cyclist is here:
    https://www.subjectivecyclist.com/ra...00--cr900.html

According to the Subjective Cyclist the CR900 will be updated and will support to run with an external battery bank.
    Thanks for those links. I was going to be impressed by the pricing until I realized that the Merlincycle link was a UK link. That means you likely have to pay a another $20-$30 or so for shipping.

If the CR900 is truly planned for upgrading ( as you suggested ) I will be first in line to buy one of the upgraded versions when they become available. I just hope they don't dilly-dally too much and get the upgrades ASAP. Hopefully they will also be more forthcoming when they start to offer new lamps or introduce their upgrades.