New to lighting- Mtbr.com

Thread: New to lighting

Just Ride !

New to lighting

Ive allways done daytime rides , and now I want to start riding at night . What is the minimum amount of lumins should I look for , been looking at a few rechargable 250's headlights for around 110 bucks . Needing a light that has a crisp bright light w/o spending a huge amount.
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky. :cornut:

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    250 alone wont be enough for a reasonable pace off road (OK for commuting on lit roads) and for that price you can easily get 900 plus

Look at Bikeray III or Magicshine. If youre in the US talk to Geomangear

Also you really want 2 lights, one main one on your bars and one on your helmet. One lights the trail ahead and the other lights wjere you are looking

Personally I run 2 Bikeray III's on the hadlebars and a Exposure Joystick on my helmet. I love the Bikerays

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Depending on conditions/speed 250 lumens could be just fine. Many have ridden with much less. It wasn't too long ago that 10w halogen was considered O.K. for night riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CMi_rider View Post
    Depending on conditions/speed 250 lumens could be just fine. Many have ridden with much less. It wasn't too long ago that 10w halogen was considered O.K. for night riding.
    +1, though more is better.

If you're on a tight budget, the New MS900 (~$100) would be good. If you can spend a little more, the Jet Lites A51 (~$200) would be better. A little more, BD Strykr (~$300). Of these three, the BD Strykr is the best IMHO.

I've never had the Jet Lites light, but I hear it's good. I've also heard the Hahn Tronix lights are good. He makes a BFL2010 that is probably a good light for the money. In concept, what I like about the Hahn Tronix lights is they're exceptionally bright and they have user-serviceable battery packs (ie, when the batteries need replacing, you can do it yourself).

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Im new to night riding also picked up a gemni titian works great so far.On high it provides a good amount of light and im able to ride at almost the same speed i do during the day.Check it out also paid $130 for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CMi_rider View Post
    That's all well and good if you ride alone I suppose, but 250 lumen will be completely washed out if you ride with a group of people that are using modern lights.