New light system recommendation- Mtbr.com
    Live to Ride.Ride to Live

New light system recommendation

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for an advice regarding my next light system. I'm been happily night-riding for the last 5 years with a Light&Motion HID Arc which I lately broke. I used it as my only light, helmet mounted.
    I'm checking l&m "crash policy" but I think it's time to invest in a new system hoping it'll last another 5 years..
    I'm looking for a ~800 lumens, 3hr battery-time and up to 350$ light* system, what are your recommendatios?

Thanks in advance.
    I'd like to meet the guy who invented beer and see what he's working on now.

mtbr member
    I would get a pair of these XM-Ls and you will have more like 1500 lumens http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...1t0due43iqpan5 and you will have an extra $100 to buy a replacement lighthead should one go bad. I'm running a pair of these on my bars and I cannot out run them sure the lighthead might not last 5 years but you will not get a better battery.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=700402
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

Thanks Rakuman, but I don't plan going with the chinamen.

mtbr member
    Well then I would check out Baja Designs American company but I still think they are made in china, killer warranty though

mtbr member
    Well I really like Lupines and it looks like they are coming out with a Piko 750 Lumens light soon.
    I have the current Piko, which is 550 Lumens and it is a sweet light.

Lupines are German made and they are your typical German engineering we all come to admire.

One thing about Lupines is you can buy an extra longer lasting battery down the road for longer run time.

Another light I have heard good things, but no experience with are Ay-Up made down under in Australia.
    http://www.ayup-lights.com/

Woody

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi Radiu's, if you don't want the (Chinese) lights even though all lights do have some Chinese parts, your budget will only provide you with one light. Would you be looking for a bar or helmet light?

BBW
    mtbr member
    the NEw Lupine Piko will be released with 750lm OTF and a 22-degree lens... around 320$ and battery can be upgraded
    Happy hunting!
    BBW. MS, RD

Just to make it clear, I have no problem with Chinese lights or parts or other. Specifically I don't want Magicshine lights which I think don't have a good reputation.

I'm looking for a helmet light, that's how I've using the L&M Arc for the last 5 years.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radius View Post
    Just to make it clear, I have no problem with Chinese lights or parts or other. Specifically I don't want Magicshine lights which I think don't have a good reputation.

I'm looking for a helmet light, that's how I've using the L&M Arc for the last 5 years.

Thanks.
    Okay, helmet light....ummmm....The new 750 lumen Piko sounds like it might be nice. Still waiting to hear more about it though. Then there are Scar's newer "Amoeba" lights. He has a duel XP-G/Regina as well as a newer duel XM-L/Regina. Personally I think duel XP-G would be better on the helmet and likely better run time. There are other well rated DIY'ers selling helmet lights as well. Check out the DIY section.

One last parting comment: REPUTATION BE DAMNED, MS 808E....BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK BEYOND A DOUBT! FORGET ABOUT THE CHINESE, INVOKE THE LAST TOUCH RULE.......BUY FROM GEOMAN , THAT MAKES IT AMUR-A-CAN.! .....any more horses out there that are thirsty?

mtbr member
    Hi

Have you looked at the DiNottee 800L? $319 US.

Andrew

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm been happily night-riding for the last 5 years with a Light&Motion HID Arc which I lately broke.

I'm looking for a ~800 lumens, 3hr battery-time and up to 350$ light* system
    Same thing here - used an Arc HID for years until it broke down just recently.

Then I bought a Chinese Bikeray IV and it was a disaster, alas.

Then I decided that I want the DiNotte 1200L+ (I already have a 400R so I know they make great lights). Then at the very last moment I changed my mind and decided to check out the DesignShine DS-1300. No regrets!

If you can salvage the connector from your broken L&M light, you could send it to DesignShine and have Mr.Pethelman build you a light that you can use with your existing battery and charger. Grand total: $205. Run time would be the same but at twice the lumens. Or double run time, same lumens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azra View Post
    Same thing here - used an Arc HID for years until it broke down just recently.

Then I bought a Chinese Bikeray IV and it was a disaster, alas.

Then I decided that I want the DiNotte 1200L+ (I already have a 400R so I know they make great lights). Then at the very last moment I changed my mind and decided to check out the DesignShine DS-1300. No regrets!

If you can salvage the connector from your broken L&M light, you could send it to DesignShine and have Mr.Pethelman build you a light that you can use with your existing battery and charger. Grand total: $205. Run time would be the same but at twice the lumens. Or double run time, same lumens.
    Azra I know you are excited about your new light but before you start recommending it to new buyers lets use it for a while and see if it passes the muster first impressions of the Ray lV were off the chart also until people like yourself actually started using them.
    I want to know how you feel about this light 2 months from now Now that would be a better recommendation.
    not knocking your selection this might be my next light also, I just want more info.
    Last edited by Rakuman; 07-28-2011 at 09:05 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Oh, I certainly agree, Rakuman. DesignShine is in need to establish a track record.

Why do you think the first thing I did with those lights was dump them in a bowl of water? They passed the test, but long term... I don't know.

mtbr member
    I'm fairly new to night riding and have only had Dinottes but I've been very happy with them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azra View Post
    Oh, I certainly agree, Rakuman. DesignShine is in need to establish a track record.

Why do you think the first thing I did with those lights was dump them in a bowl of water? They passed the test, but long term... I don't know.
    Yeah, track record is important but so are first impressions when you know what to look for. Dumping the lights in a water bowl is way more than I would of been willing to do. Now a quick trip through the shower....maybe. As with any light, no way to know about the long term anyway until some time passes by. In the mean time you look to have a decent light being sold by a DIY'er who not only looks like he knows what he's doing but is willing to cater to special requests... So far the only down side is that you might have to wait awhile for your order to be filled. Really no telling how long that could be but it could be well worth the wait. Still, it would be great if other people get the light and start speaking up. That's what makes a good review a great review...more voices, more opinions.

mtbr member
    I see Gretna Bikes has the new Piko 3 on their website. It's a super nice helmet light.

http://gretnabikes.com/item.asp?PID=203

Woody

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi Folks,
    Don't forget Nightlightning from NZ. I can't speak for his batteries but the light heads themselves (one of which I bought as a kit) are beautifully made and I hear that the finished lights are good value and extremely well designed. Very 'upgrade-friendly' too!
    Savvas

Got a suspension fork
    Radius, did you pull the trigger?
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

tragapistas
    A good Helmet light: Exposure Diablo MK2, Cable free, 120g weight, 1hrs 10min at full power (900 lumens) and you can plug in extra piggyback batteries if you need even longer life. 3hrs at medium power (600 lumens). Made in Britain

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by abecallejo View Post
    A good Helmet light: Exposure Diablo MK2, Cable free, 120g weight, 1hrs 10min at full power (900 lumens) and you can plug in extra piggyback batteries if you need even longer life. 3hrs at medium power (600 lumens). Made in Britain
    No idea how expensive or big the piggyback is, but I can't imagine anybody reading this forum would get by with only 1 hour of light at full.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

tragapistas
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    No idea how expensive or big the piggyback is, but I can't imagine anybody reading this forum would get by with only 1 hour of light at full.
    you are right, 1 hour at full is very poor but with the one cell piggyback battery (around $50) you get 3 more hours of light at full power (and with the triple cell piggyback you get 5 additional hours).
    h t t p://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/exposure-diablo-mk2-657409.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Radius, haven't hered from you since July, if your still looking the new Dinotte XML3 looks like a good helmet option. Though under powered for three XML's it sounds like it should be an honest 1000+ lumens, i mean a single XML will push almost that. 3 XML's though will give a better beam pattern than a single as you should see a much more deversified even beam, less,or no hot spot as a single would produce.

Apr 2007
    ... chinamen.
    Seriously? What century is this??

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Seriously? What century is this??
    No ****. I read that and spat coffee. Maybe the OP should carry around a torch instead.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Partially based on this thread, I've gone and ordered two of the as-yet-unreleased Piko 6 units directly from Lupine. Plus bar and head strap mounts. They'll ship at the end of September! Going to be very handy in Norway; we're halfway through the transition from full-time sun to full-time dark right now...

I'm very excited about these lights. I reckon they'll be as handy for backpacking and nordic skiing as they are on the bike. 4 hours, 750 lumens and 300 grams!? Can't argue with that! Plus the specs show 11 hr at 300 lumens with the new battery pack. Yummy.