"new" (?) KD2 light head from Kaidomain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

"new" (?) KD2 light head from Kaidomain

Apologies if this has already been covered in one of the threads that mention the Kaidomain KD2 duo clone light head.

I've been happy enough with this light head for a helmet lamp to complement the BT40s I have for a bar light. I have the NW emitters for both lights.

I was going to order a couple more light heads, because a. they're cheap, and b. they work fine for my needs, and it's nice to have a few extras laying around for "lenders".

We're all familiar with the previous neutral-white offering, which they listed as "Neutral White 4700k - 5000k". That one is still listed here:
    http://kaidomain.com/KD-2-x-Cree-XM-...ens-Bike-Light

But I noticed that they now list another light head, what looks on the surface to be identical, but offers a choice between four different tints: White 6500K, Neutral White 5000K, Neutral White 4000K , and Warm White 3000K. This new model is listed here:
    http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...ens-Bike-Light

I have a couple of questions...does anyone have any experience with this apparently slightly newer/different model, and if so, any comments on how the tints compare to the original NW emitter model? And does anyone have any suggestions for which emitter tint to pick, if I go for the newer one? I really don't know how much difference there will be between 5000K, 4000K, and 3000K tints. Maybe I should just buy more of what I already have, the 0ne listed as 4700K-5000K...

OH and one more thing - did anyone ever try changing out the optics in one of these? If so, any suggestions of what source to get them from (I'm in Canada if that makes a difference), and what size I need? The optics are listed as "TIR", is that all I need to know, and then maybe get a 10 degree and a 25 degree for bar use?

Thanks!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Changing optics in those is not easy, you have to disassemble the entire light to get to them. But they are 20mm optics.

These are not the same as what we all used to talk about before. Sadly THEY NEVER fixed the big issue. Ok for cold weather use (for the price) but buy 2 or 3 of them so you have spares.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks RACK, maybe I'll just stick with the standard optics.

Pretty much all of my night riding is in cool to cold weather, and most often winter fat biking anywhere between -5 C and -20 Celsius. Occasionally up to 10 or 15 C in the fall. I've not had an issue with my existing KD2's as of yet at these temperatures, of course I rarely run them on the highest setting as it's mainly regular singletrack riding, and I turn them down or off if I stop moving for any length of time.

Spares is more or less what I'd be picking them up for. I always seem to have a few friends who are interested to try night riding, but never seem to want to buy their own lights. This way I could set someone up to give it a try, with two lights for minimal outlay of $$. Then if they like it they could buy some "real" lights

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    4000k is nice on snow and doesn't seem to reflect as much glare off of nearby foliage.

Unfortunately the light you linked has xml2's. At 4000k you'd be looking at T6 or less bins which will reduce output. Compensating for that by running the light on high more often will increase battery drain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have the original kd2, boosted a bit and I've changed the optics too. Its not too hard to change them. Indeed the heat doesnt get transferred to frame really well. I bought a BL2 now with 4000K tint and I prefer it, heat transfer is much better so it can be boosted for higher output and doesnt get thermal shutdown so easily. http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...ens-Bike-Light

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    4000k is nice on snow and doesn't seem to reflect as much glare off of nearby foliage.

Unfortunately the light you linked has xml2's. At 4000k you'd be looking at T6 or less bins which will reduce output. Compensating for that by running the light on high more often will increase battery drain.
    these things have low output anyway, the bin difference isnt going to matter much. they push something like 1 amp per LED so regardless of tint your going to be in the same boat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukis View Post
    I have the original kd2, boosted a bit and I've changed the optics too. Its not too hard to change them. Indeed the heat doesnt get transferred to frame really well. I bought a BL2 now with 4000K tint and I prefer it, heat transfer is much better so it can be boosted for higher output and doesnt get thermal shutdown so easily. http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...ens-Bike-Light
    I've looked at the BL2 because of the reportedly better heat transfer but honestly I really like the programmable driver of the KD2. Not sure why Kaidomain decided to go with a different UI on the BL2 that requires you to cycle through the off position to get back to a lower setting. I have that on my older chinese lights and I'm not a fan. If it had the same UI as the KD2, I'd be all over it!

I'm also realistic about my abilities/aptitude (let's face it, laziness) and the option to boost the BL2 isn't a selling point for me, at least not at this point, as I rarely have the KD2 on the highest setting as it is. I've not yet noticed any dimming of the output of the KD2, despite the fact that I haven't opened it up to even add any thermal paste, perhaps due to the cooler temperatures I night ride in. I do feel the case getting warm quite quickly when I stop and forget to turn it down or off, so it seems that there is at least "some" heat transfer going on.

I asked the question of Kaidomain directly in an email (what the difference was between the two KD2 models, if any), and they said the differences were small - driver board size and screw hole locations. Seems like an odd answer given that it seems as if they both have the same programmable driver...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Interestingly, I didn't noticed that change lately. Will try to get some to review/test. I already got info from some user they also changed optics to (very likely) more narrow one.

I agree if BL2 had user interface from KD2 would be very decent light for this price class. If it was sealed somehow it would be even better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    I agree if BL2 had user interface from KD2 would be very decent light for this price class. If it was sealed somehow it would be even better.
    I emailed Kaidomain about the daft BL2 UI and they said it might be adressed in a future production run.
    There are O rings in front of the plastic optics but no seal between the light housing and front faceplate. The cable exit hole on the bottom of the housing is also fairly large with no seal, but the mount has a little cylinder that slots into the hole.
    I've trimmed/sanded down some LEDDNA optic holders and 15 degree plastic optics and they do fit. There is also some thermal paste between the LED mounting plate and the light housing; with a gap in the centre for the driver and light switch.
    The external surface gets quite hot so there is some thermal transfer happening, I have managed to get it to step down on high without airflow fairly rapidly but not while riding. My riding partner reports the light stepping down in hot weather only.
    The beam is not quite up there compared to my Nitefighter BT21 (I did some beamshots a while back)
    The light would also definitely benefit from a custom aluminium mount (like Vancbiker manufactures) for even better thermal transfer as the total outer surface area(there are some fins at the rear) is relatively small.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    well, it looks like I'll be delayed in getting my hands on this, Canada Post is experiencing some strikes and is requesting that other countries' postal services delay shipping parcels to Canada, due to their huge backlog of packages already in their possession. Booooo! I'm all for collective bargaining rights but why now?!?