The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435

    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure

    Hey All

    As we're just about to release our new and first self contained lights we'd thought we'd give you a quick preview.

    It was introduced at Interbike this year and those who saw it thought it was ground breaking.

    This will just be a quick outline with more pics to come soon!

    The CX was born out of the demand for lights without cables and as LED and battery technology improved we decided it was time to make an entry into the market space.

    The CX is designed around the form factor of the X2 but that's where it ends.

    USB Tech
    The lights are USB chargable and can accept a charge whilst in use - therefore can be used with a dynamo supplied intermediary device. Additionally, they can be used as a power pack to charge another device for a short period - this can also be done whilst the light is in use.

    Weight and Component Choice
    The light itself weighs 200g and uses XPG2 and XML2 LEDs in addition to 2600mAh (Urban) and 3400mAh (Trail) batteries.

    Price
    The lights will retail for appx $135 USD for the Urban and $179 USD for the Trail.

    Specs
    CX Urban 900 Lumens/CX Trail 1300 Lumens
    XPG2 LEDs/XML2 LEDs
    Weight: 200g
    Runtime: 2.5hrs (From High)
    Fully Programmable (same functionality as the X Series)
    Removable wired remote button (uses USB Port)
    Interchangeable optics
    Bar (quarter turn style) or Helmet Mount (GoPro Style)
    OTG Charge Capability

    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-12366206_1069265809764780_1735432601601035831_n.jpg

    More pictures to follow soon, but needless to say we are very ecited about this product!

    X2 Adventure

    The X2 Adventure is a new idea designed for those wanting a small lighting package without sacrificing the light output of the X2 light head.

    The X2 Adventure is provided with a 2 cell, high capacity battery instead of a 4 cell battery. The 2 cell high capacity battery uses 3400 mAh cells instead of 2900 mAh and will run an X2 light for about 1.75 hrs on full power!

    X2 Adventure RRP $235
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  2. #2
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    626
    The X2 Adventure is available from Action LED Lights by choosing the 2016 X2 with the 3.4Ah battery option.
    We are also now offering that battery option with the X1.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    39
    Do you have a weight on the 3.4 battery and can it be mounted on the back of helmet thanks

  4. #4
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMSLICK View Post
    Do you have a weight on the 3.4 battery and can it be mounted on the back of helmet thanks
    Its the same size as our current 2 cell battery, and weighs just over 100gm. It can easily be used on the back of a helmet! Cheers
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    819
    Sweet looking lights. Is it possible for either the user or for you guys to change out the batteries?

    One of the concerns I have with self contained lights is that the LEDs will probably outlive me, but the batteries definitely have a shelf life.

  6. #6
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Sweet looking lights. Is it possible for either the user or for you guys to change out the batteries?

    One of the concerns I have with self contained lights is that the LEDs will probably outlive me, but the batteries definitely have a shelf life.
    Batteries are definitely replaceable. The back plate is made of carbon reinforced nylon and secured using a very simple system. All you need to do is slip your finger nail under the edge and slide it out. The battery will then simply slide out.

    Cheers
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    819
    Awesome, that makes the Urban sound like the ideal commuter light to me.

    Will the remote be basically the same functionally as your X series lights? It would be cool if you could go up or down in power rather than just cycle.

  8. #8
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Awesome, that makes the Urban sound like the ideal commuter light to me.

    Will the remote be basically the same functionally as your X series lights? It would be cool if you could go up or down in power rather than just cycle.
    The switch is exactly the same as the X Series light, with the exception it plugs into the USB Port.

    You can programme the light for only two modes which will allow a toggle rather than a cycle.

    Hope that helps!

    B
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    149
    Is the beampattern for the Urban light adapted for urban/commuter use??

    I'm a fan of cut off beampatterns that put the light where you want it without blinding oncoming traffic.

  10. #10
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Appel View Post
    Is the beampattern for the Urban light adapted for urban/commuter use??

    I'm a fan of cut off beampatterns that put the light where you want it without blinding oncoming traffic.
    We are still developing the cutoff style optic, however there is an after market hood that helps with the dispersion of light. We are aiming to have the new optic ready in a few months and will be retro fittable.

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    We are still developing the cutoff style optic, however there is an after market hood that helps with the dispersion of light. We are aiming to have the new optic ready in a few months and will be retro fittable.

    Cheers

    Bruce
    I currently own your X2 (latest version) and XS, will I be able to retrofit this cutoff style optic to my current lights?
    Mole

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    We are still developing the cutoff style optic, however there is an after market hood that helps with the dispersion of light. We are aiming to have the new optic ready in a few months and will be retro fittable.

    Cheers

    Bruce
    This sounds really promising! Keep up the good work!

  13. #13
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I currently own your X2 (latest version) and XS, will I be able to retrofit this cutoff style optic to my current lights?
    Mole
    Unfortunately not, the CX optic is an integrated dual optic. This optic will also be used for another light to be released in about 6 months

    At the moment we include a spot/spot and spot/wide optic in the CX sets. We will in the future offer a wide/wide (eliptical) and a commute (cutoff).

    Cheers
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  14. #14
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Hey Guys

    Here are some more images of the CX Trail (1300 Lumen). This time in use on a road bike and as presented in the box.

    I used it this morning over a 60km ride and got plenty of interest form other riders - especially the removable remote button!

    Our website will be updated on Christmas Eve with pricing and full specs and will be for sale very early in the new year.

    Cheers
    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-20151222_081722.jpgThe New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-20151222_081706.jpgThe New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-img_20151221_194103.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-img_20151221_194103.jpg  

    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  15. #15
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Really nice, like how it mounts under the bars. Good for road use as it gets the light down lower.

    Just hope that mount is aluminum. That's alot of weight to have on a plastic mount.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    603
    Like the trail. Did I read correct the trail version is using the XML2 and not XP led.

    Any photos of how to helmet mount.

    Thx

  17. #17
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Really nice, like how it mounts under the bars. Good for road use as it gets the light down lower.

    Just hope that mount is aluminum. That's alot of weight to have on a plastic mount.
    Don't worry about the mount, its very solid and made from Carbon reinforced Nylon.
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  18. #18
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Like the trail. Did I read correct the trail version is using the XML2 and not XP led.

    Any photos of how to helmet mount.

    Thx
    The trail version uses XM-L2 U3 LEDs and the Urban XP-G2 S3

    Then helmet mount utilises a system that can be used with GoPro. It allows the light to be mounted forward or central on the helmet and can utilise existing integrated helmet mounting systems.

    CheersThe New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-20151222_105850.jpgThe New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-20151222_105821.jpg
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  19. #19
    Yeah!
    Reputation: Flamingtaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    We are still developing the cutoff style optic, however there is an after market hood that helps with the dispersion of light.
    Can you provide more info about this aftermarket hood? Couldn't find anything with the Googles.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

  20. #20
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    Can you provide more info about this aftermarket hood? Couldn't find anything with the Googles.
    Hey - the hood is pictured in the image above. It is designed to prevent any light reflecting back in the riders eyes. It doesn't work to direct the beam but more to shift ambient light. A longer version would work to cut the beam and it is definitely something we are looking at.

    The hood comes standard with the CX Trail and is aftermarket for the Urban.

    Cheers
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  21. #21
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Well the first batch of CX units are about to be shipped to our distributors and they are looking sweet!

    We recently included a travel lock function to avoid having the light turn on in error while being transported.

    Here are some shots of the final products. Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

    CX Trail Instructions

    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-_bix6145.jpg
    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-_bix6172.jpg
    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-_bix6185.jpg
    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-_bix6188.jpg
    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-_bix6199.jpg
    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-_bix6232.jpg
    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-_bix6241.jpg
    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-_bix6263.jpg
    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-_bix9152.jpg
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    50
    What about the charging speed thru USB? Maximum accepted amperage, 1,5A, 2A or 2,4A or something else?

  23. #23
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Maximum accepted is 2A via wall charger. However is restricted to 1.5A via USB Port (USB Restriction - not product)
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  24. #24
    JustinO
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2
    Wireless Remote any time soon?

  25. #25
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Thats our next course of business! For all our light models. Additionally it will be retro-fittable to current lights.
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Thats our next course of business! For all our light models. Additionally it will be retro-fittable to current lights.
    Retro-fittable - That's awesome! When you say "current lights" is that just the 2016 models or will this include older models as well (X2V3 and XS)?
    Mole

  27. #27
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Retro-fittable - That's awesome! When you say "current lights" is that just the 2016 models or will this include older models as well (X2V3 and XS)?
    Mole
    The plan is to have retrofitable with all our lights. Lights will need to be sent into a service centre to replace the current wiring harness, however that is a simple task.
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    The plan is to have retrofitable with all our lights. Lights will need to be sent into a service centre to replace the current wiring harness, however that is a simple task.
    I'm sure your going to make a lot of your current customers very happy with this. Thank you very much (in advance).
    Mole

  29. #29
    Yeah!
    Reputation: Flamingtaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,453
    A lot of great news here, thanks for listening to your users! A tint change combined with an upgrade to wireless is going to be a great change for my lights. Much appreciation on making it backwards compatible!

    For me, this leaves the issue of a shield for the X2 and XS. Would like to see a cutoff done through reflector optics, like the Phillips Saferide. If an XS level power head unit had a proper cut off, I'd put one on my truck.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Unfortunately not, the CX optic is an integrated dual optic. This optic will also be used for another light to be released in about 6 months

    At the moment we include a spot/spot and spot/wide optic in the CX sets. We will in the future offer a wide/wide (eliptical) and a commute (cutoff).

    Cheers
    Is this future release going to be a commuter or mountain light? Looking at the CX optic I like what I see (wider spaced and more flush with the front of the light). I've used your XS optics in several of my other lights of different brands as an upgrade and found the CX layout to produce a better beam pattern (slightly wider, especially around the front wheel) IMO.
    Mole

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    819
    Do these use special battery packs or 18650 cells? Wondering I could carry a couple extra cells with me when I ride.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    The plan is to have *retrofitable ( *wireless remote ) with all our lights. Lights will need to be sent into a service centre to replace the current wiring harness, however that is a simple task.
    Excellent! Can't wait to see how this retrofitable wireless remote will work. Is there a proto-type yet? I'd love to see how this might look. Personally I'd like to see something available by this summer ( North America ).

    This CX Gloworm lamp looks awesome. Looks like the people looking for the perfect self-contained lamp have some great options right now. This new mounting system looks awesome ( and very well thought out ). Still I can't help but wonder if it is going to be stable enough not to vibrate when the mount is extended. No doubt though like the other Gloworm setups it should be rock solid.

    @Mr. Mole; Thanks for the heads-up.

  33. #33
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Do these use special battery packs or 18650 cells? Wondering I could carry a couple extra cells with me when I ride.
    They use a battery pack that consists of 2 18650 cells. After market packs will be available too in either 5200mAh or 6800mAh.

    Cheers
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  34. #34
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Excellent! Can't wait to see how this retrofitable wireless remote will work. Is there a proto-type yet? I'd love to see how this might look. Personally I'd like to see something available by this summer ( North America ).

    This CX Gloworm lamp looks awesome. Looks like the people looking for the perfect self-contained lamp have some great options right now. This new mounting system looks awesome ( and very well thought out ). Still I can't help but wonder if it is going to be stable enough not to vibrate when the mount is extended. No doubt though like the other Gloworm setups it should be rock solid.

    @Mr. Mole; Thanks for the heads-up.
    Hey Cat, the Wireless Remote will utilise the cable assembly as a receiver. We have just started electronic and mechanical design and aiming for Interbike release at the latest. Mounts are very stable and easy to use - have taken some time to get right.

    Cheers
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  35. #35
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    626
    If DHL comes through we'll have the CX this afternoon. After a little testing this weekend we'll have the listing up on our site.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    If DHL comes through we'll have the CX this afternoon. After a little testing this weekend we'll have the listing up on our site.
    Are you planning on carrying the Urban model as well?

  37. #37
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Are you planning on carrying the Urban model as well?
    Yes, we will have both versions.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  38. #38
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    626
    Update: WE HAVE BOTH VERSIONS

    They are sweet looking.

    Included in each set:
    Light with spot-spot lens installed and spot-wide included
    QR handlebar clamp that holds a twist-lock mount for the light
    Bracket to switch the mount to a GoPro style quick release and helmet bracket
    Remote switch cable and switch mount
    USB charge cable
    USB out cable (for power bank use)
    Misc hardware and alien keys

    I'll get some test done and posted this weekend along with the website listings.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    819
    As I keep hovering over the "Buy" button even though I don't need anymore lights I have a question.

    Will you be selling spare battery packs? Would the user (me) be able to toss in my own 18650s without destroying anything/voiding warranties?

  40. #40
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    As I keep hovering over the "Buy" button even though I don't need anymore lights I have a question.

    Will you be selling spare battery packs? Would the user (me) be able to toss in my own 18650s without destroying anything/voiding warranties?
    We will be having some battery packs but it might be a few weeks.
    The packs are more that just two 18650's. There is some circuitry and the contacts are both on one end.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  41. #41
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    626
    I promised to post some test result. My beam distribution test is what I have so far.

    The New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-cx-trail.pngThe New Gloworm CX Urban and Trail + X2 Adventure-cx-urban.jpg

    Not exactly what I expected. Both lights use the same optics but the smaller form factor of the Urban's XP-G2 led produces quite a different result.
    The Urban's beam with the spot-spot optic is quite a tight spot beam. If your planning to use the light on the helmet paired with a wide beam on the bar and want maximum throw, then I'd say the Urban is the way to go. IMO
    If you like more peripheral light the Trail has more total light but not quite as much throw. For a commuter light I'd go for the Trail or the Urban with the spot-wide optic. I believe a wide-wide is coming.
    I plan on doing a light output vs runtime test in the next couple of days
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  42. #42
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Appel View Post
    Is the beampattern for the Urban light adapted for urban/commuter use??

    I'm a fan of cut off beampatterns that put the light where you want it without blinding oncoming traffic.
    The beam of the Urban is a pretty tight spot. If you use the wide optic it spreads the beam only horizontally so it lights the width of the road and is well contained vertically. See the beam pattern above. The vertical would be the same as shown for the Spot/Spot curve. If the light is aimed 10˚ down there is almost nothing shining forward. While not a total cut off like many cars it's pretty close.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  43. #43
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    I promised to post some test result. My beam distribution test is what I have so far.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CX Trail.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	1045351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CX Urban.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	1045352



    Not exactly what I expected. Both lights use the same optics but the smaller form factor of the Urban's XP-G2 led produces quite a different result.

    The Urban's beam with the spot-spot optic is quite a tight spot beam. If your planning to use the light on the helmet paired with a wide beam on the bar and want maximum throw, then I'd say the Urban is the way to go. IMO

    If you like more peripheral light the Trail has more total light but not quite as much throw. For a commuter light I'd go for the Trail or the Urban with the spot-wide optic. I believe a wide-wide is coming.

    I plan on doing a light output vs runtime test in the next couple of days

    That's due to the size of XP-G2. Its a normal thing. The size of the phosphor makes a big difference, smaller it is the better the throw if all else is the same. You don't see these with most lights that use xp-g2 with optics as the optic per emitter is smaller (think many 4 xp-g2 round heads). But matching a bigger tight spot xm-l2 sized optic to an xpg2 will yield a much tighter beam pattern/more throw.

    This is why us light geeks are enjoying the xp-l hi emitters. They look and act like an xpg2 when in optics, but have the output of xm-l2 and can be driven at xm-l2 level currents unlike the xpg2 (without major heat issues)

  44. #44
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    That's due to the size of XP-G2. Its a normal thing. The size of the phosphor makes a big difference, smaller it is the better the throw if all else is the same. You don't see these with most lights that use xp-g2 with optics as the optic per emitter is smaller (think many 4 xp-g2 round heads). But matching a bigger tight spot xm-l2 sized optic to an xpg2 will yield a much tighter beam pattern/more throw.

    This is why us light geeks are enjoying the xp-l hi emitters. They look and act like an xpg2 when in optics, but have the output of xm-l2 and can be driven at xm-l2 level currents unlike the xpg2 (without major heat issues)
    Yeah, figured that out. We just discovered the XP-L. Will definitely be trying them out in the Trail version and maybe in place of some other XM-L2's
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  45. #45
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    These self contained units dont see a benefit really from xp-l unless wanting to use the xp-l hi version for a tight beam pattern. Being they run a tad cooler than xm-l2, small heads can benefit from it and maintain xm-l2 output (standard xp-l, not hi version which only matches t6 xm-l2 bin atm).

    Basically if your after a really nice throw light on optics, xp-l hi. If its a really small light head, normal xp-l will help a bit with heat. Otherwise no reason to ditch xm-l2 as xp-l emitters are a bit more expensive.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socaltrailrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    118
    I have the X2 and would love to be able to not have to strap a battery to my frame. How does the CX trail compare to the X2 on light output and battery life?

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    246
    I have been using these lights on the bar and helmet for a while now, so I'll post up some observations.

    I'm not a lighting guru, so I may gloss over some of the finer details of high end lighting. Bottom line is, these work well. I'm usually using these for 2h or so XC rides at night - long climbs followed by long descents. I have the Garmin mount set up for the bar light, and the GoPro mount set up for the helmet light. The lights come with BOTH, which is a nice touch. The kits are very all-inclusive.

    I ride on some pretty fast and choppy trails, and these things are pretty much perfect in terms of output and throw. Any more light I think would honestly become overkill, and I would start getting more reflection off bushes and trees. I can ride just as fast as I would during the day. The ONLY thing I might want is a bit more peripheral throw out of the bar light, but I've only noticed that on >90 degree sweeper corners where I had to duck and point my head somewhere awkward.

    I haven't figured out the programming, but I don't really need to I don't think. I just need a max setting and something below that for climbing and saving battery. I can access that easily enough.

    Mostly I can't overstate how excellent it is to have lights that cleanly and quickly mount up to the helmet and bars with NO CABLES. Since I don't ride with a pack and have all my necessities on the frame, this works fantastic. In the past I've hated the hassle of turning my ride into a wiring exercise just to get going. There is ZERO intrusion on my riding when mounting these up and riding with them - click them in and start riding. Very simple, very clean, very effective.

    The other thing I intend to use these for is a contingency for moto night riding. Since I have a 4900lm headlight on the bike that's powered by the stator/EFI system, I wanted a small easy-to-use helmet light I can throw on if I need to find my way back to the truck for a couple hours. This works great, and stashes behind the headlight under the bars easily. Click of a couple buttons and popping this into the GoPro mount of the helmet, and off I go.


    Now, the downsides. The mounts need work, and I think GloWorm is probably working something up. The bar mount wasn't strong enough to keep the swivel head from rotating on choppy stuff even with a lock-washer. Since I built up a bike with a 35mm bar anyway, I just got some cheap fixed mount for a Garmin from Amazon - problem solved. The GoPro mount clevis also doesn't mate up properly with actual GoPro mounts, and would need to be shimmed to get clamping correctly. If you use THEIR upper mount, with THEIR lower mount, it's perfectly fine, but mixing it up with the original mounts that GoPro makes themselves is where it has issues.

    So, short version - just get a fixed head bar mount and use the supplied hardware for the GoPro mount, and you'll be golden. The lights are inexpensive and provide a huge amount of value for the money, so not a big deal.

  48. #48
    Gloworm Lights
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435
    Thanks for the feedback below. Even though the CX lights are brand new we are always looking at improvements that can be made.

    We will take onboard the feedback and look at the swivel action of the bar mount. cheers for pointing it out!

    B


    Quote Originally Posted by GH28 View Post
    I have been using these lights on the bar and helmet for a while now, so I'll post up some observations.

    I'm not a lighting guru, so I may gloss over some of the finer details of high end lighting. Bottom line is, these work well. I'm usually using these for 2h or so XC rides at night - long climbs followed by long descents. I have the Garmin mount set up for the bar light, and the GoPro mount set up for the helmet light. The lights come with BOTH, which is a nice touch. The kits are very all-inclusive.

    I ride on some pretty fast and choppy trails, and these things are pretty much perfect in terms of output and throw. Any more light I think would honestly become overkill, and I would start getting more reflection off bushes and trees. I can ride just as fast as I would during the day. The ONLY thing I might want is a bit more peripheral throw out of the bar light, but I've only noticed that on >90 degree sweeper corners where I had to duck and point my head somewhere awkward.

    I haven't figured out the programming, but I don't really need to I don't think. I just need a max setting and something below that for climbing and saving battery. I can access that easily enough.

    Mostly I can't overstate how excellent it is to have lights that cleanly and quickly mount up to the helmet and bars with NO CABLES. Since I don't ride with a pack and have all my necessities on the frame, this works fantastic. In the past I've hated the hassle of turning my ride into a wiring exercise just to get going. There is ZERO intrusion on my riding when mounting these up and riding with them - click them in and start riding. Very simple, very clean, very effective.

    The other thing I intend to use these for is a contingency for moto night riding. Since I have a 4900lm headlight on the bike that's powered by the stator/EFI system, I wanted a small easy-to-use helmet light I can throw on if I need to find my way back to the truck for a couple hours. This works great, and stashes behind the headlight under the bars easily. Click of a couple buttons and popping this into the GoPro mount of the helmet, and off I go.


    Now, the downsides. The mounts need work, and I think GloWorm is probably working something up. The bar mount wasn't strong enough to keep the swivel head from rotating on choppy stuff even with a lock-washer. Since I built up a bike with a 35mm bar anyway, I just got some cheap fixed mount for a Garmin from Amazon - problem solved. The GoPro mount clevis also doesn't mate up properly with actual GoPro mounts, and would need to be shimmed to get clamping correctly. If you use THEIR upper mount, with THEIR lower mount, it's perfectly fine, but mixing it up with the original mounts that GoPro makes themselves is where it has issues.

    So, short version - just get a fixed head bar mount and use the supplied hardware for the GoPro mount, and you'll be golden. The lights are inexpensive and provide a huge amount of value for the money, so not a big deal.
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    246
    Good to hear! I know they're new, so I'm surprised they're working as well as they do. Lord knows most new products in the bike industry are basically still in the R&D phase...

    I should clarify I'm using the CX Trail version.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2015, 11:16 AM
  2. Dinotte or Gloworm for trail commuter?
    By greenbaybiker in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-29-2015, 12:06 PM
  3. Gloworm X2 or Magicshine 880-L2 for night trail commute
    By greenbaybiker in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2015, 11:23 PM
  4. Gloworm XS or Trail LED XXX?
    By ghostchili in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-15-2014, 05:30 PM
  5. Urban trail systems
    By auditunerb5 in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 07:45 PM

Members who have read this thread: 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.