New Gemini Stuff at Action-LED-Lights- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Gemini Stuff at Action-LED-Lights

500 lumen self-contained cutoff beam commuter light

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...atlas-500-road

2200 Lumen Duo??? Not sure how they did this. New emitters maybe but no way to tell from the minimal description.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...200-multisport

21700 Battery packs. 4000 mAh 2 cell & 8000 mAh 4 cell packs. Standard MS style power cord plug + USB.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...2-cell-battery

Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    21700 Battery packs. 4000 mAh 2 cell & 8000 mAh 4 cell packs. Standard MS style power cord plug + USB. Mole
    Drool...

mtbr member

500 lumen self-contained cutoff beam commuter light

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...atlas-500-road
    Thats been around for a while.
    XANES SFL12 650LM LED German Standard Smart Light Sensor Mountain Road Bike Bicycle Light Anti-glare Design USB Rechargeable Waterproof

https://www.banggood.com/XANES-SFL12...r_warehouse=CN

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sweet! Can these new batteries that can use either port as input or output* be daisy chained together, like:
    light connected to battery 1 via round connector,
    battery 1 connected to battery 2, USB-C to USB-C

* this is my understanding from the web description

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Thats been around for a while.
    XANES SFL12 650LM LED German Standard Smart Light Sensor Mountain Road Bike Bicycle Light Anti-glare Design USB Rechargeable Waterproof

https://www.banggood.com/XANES-SFL12...r_warehouse=CN
    I was kind of meh about that addition to their lineup but interesting if it's actually just a rebranded Xanes light. My interest in the batteries has also dipped a bit once I found out their weight (7.5 oz - 2 cell, 13.2 - 4 cell) but I guess all those features should be expected to weigh more. Still am quite interested in that 2200 lumen Duo though. Jim @ Action thinks it may have switched to xhp35 emitters which would increase output potential even though it looks like it draws less current than the previous xml Duo. Gemini says light is setup for a wider beam so this may make a nice super light weight bar lamp! Since I'm not really interested in a 7.5 oz 2 cell battery will wait till I can choose a lighthead only option.
    Mole

mtbr member
    My interest in the batteries has also dipped a bit once I found out their weight (7.5 oz - 2 cell, 13.2 - 4 cell) Since I'm not really interested in a 7.5 oz 2 cell battery will wait till I can choose a lighthead only option.Mole
    I guess we should measure by grams/ounces per mAh?

1.875oz(212g) per 1k mAh in a hard case. Certainly a lot more than my 3500 mAh KD 18659GA softpack @ 46 g/ 1k mAh which is even heavier than the Gloworm 2cell hard case, 38g / 1k mAh.

Ok, its a lot if all published numbers are accurate.

I like turtles
    I see it has fins all over it. My older Gemini Duo overheats easily especially right now where it's not really that cool/cold at night....have to stay moving or throttle it down.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I see it has fins all over it. My older Gemini Duo overheats easily especially right now where it's not really that cool/cold at night....have to stay moving or throttle it down.
    New Gemini Stuff at Action-LED-Lights-004.jpg

If you live in a warmer climate I consider this mount a "must have"! Minimum 10 degree drop in operating temperature + I'm sure it will retrofit the new Duo. If this light ends up coming with the XHP35's their potential output per amp is almost double the XM-L emitters in our duo's so hopefully the added efficiency will also make it cooler running. Nice to see your Icon again!
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 10-11-2019 at 10:43 PM.

I like turtles
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	1285045

If you live in a warmer climate I consider this mount a "must have"! Minimum 10 degree drop in operating temperature + I'm sure it will retrofit the new Duo. If this light ends up coming with the XHP35's their potential output per amp is almost double the XM-L emitters in out duo's so hopefully the added efficiency will also make it cooler running. Nice to see your Icon again!
    Mole
    I have one of those on my Xera on the helmet - may need to re-think running one on the Duo/bar as well. Yeah, been out of here for a while...still ride a lot just lost interesting in the forum vs. my VWs..hahaha
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Going to take a little break from self-contained and ordered a new Duo. Worked out a lighthead only deal with Action and expect the light next week sometime.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Going to take a little break from self-contained and ordered a new Duo. Worked out a lighthead only deal with Action and expect the light next week sometime.
    Mole
    Let me know how this works out for you. The product description was very sparse. No mention of what type of emitters, no mention of tint or Kelvin rating....no mention if it's programmable like the originals and no mention if there's a "light head only"option.

What was mentioned was that the beam pattern was suppose to be wider. This might make it more usable as a bar lamp but if I were to buy one I would definitely want double spot optics for use on the helmet and I'd want an option for at least a Kelvin rating @ 4500K or below.

I'd be hesitate to buy one without more information. TGeo was right the old ones do heat up quite fast if used on high. I'd have to wonder how such a small lamp is going to dissipate all that heat without stepping down. I hated the stock optics on the originals but with twin spot optics the old ones made for a decent helmet light.

Give me one of the new ones with twin XP-L HI's, twin spots, programmable and in the 4500-4000K tint range and I'd be in for the full kit.

MRM, I guess this makes you the beta tester

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Let me know how this works out for you. The product description was very sparse. No mention of what type of emitters, no mention of tint or Kelvin rating....no mention if it's programmable like the originals and no mention if there's a "light head only"option.

What was mentioned was that the beam pattern was suppose to be wider. This might make it more usable as a bar lamp but if I were to buy one I would definitely want double spot optics for use on the helmet and I'd want an option for at least a Kelvin rating @ 4500K or below.

I'd be hesitate to buy one without more information. TGeo was right the old ones do heat up quite fast if used on high. I'd have to wonder how such a small lamp is going to dissipate all that heat without stepping down. I hated the stock optics on the originals but with twin spot optics the old ones made for a decent helmet light.

Give me one of the new ones with twin XP-L HI's, twin spots, programmable and in the 4500-4000K tint range and I'd be in for the full kit.

MRM, I guess this makes you the beta tester
    My plan for the light is to end up with a smaller, lighter, more efficient bar light. Jim had already tried a couple of different optic options (Gloworm wide angle being one of them) in the light and shared his opinion of them but they were all wider angle optics so no idea how the light will work as a thrower (not that important for my intended use). Though not confirmed, he also said he thought the emitters were XHP35's (also unsure on K rating) which would give the light the extra output with what looks to me like less current draw ([email protected] lumens on a 4000mAh battery is very good IMO) than the previous model. Cooler running and steps down to higher level than before were other thing he mentioned he had tested (both good). I didn't care much for my original Duo but my major complaints seem to have been addressed with the wireless remote and the promise of a cooler running light. New Duo at least has the potential of being one of my favorites.
    Mole

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I watched a Clint Gibbs unboxing video, he powered the light up briefly and shone it on a table. Judging by the green at the edge of the beam it's probably using an xhp50 which is much more efficient than the xhp35. Xhp35's in a decent tint don't come in the highest bins so there will not be much gained over an xml2. Its also 12v, unless they nail the boost driver design its going to make more heat than a buck driver.

The xhp50 is available in three volt and has the same footprint as an xml requiring very little changes in the light. The beam produced will be wider, brighter, less throw and not so great color distribution. Not a lot of tint choices at three volts but an xml or luminous sst-40 should fit. If it is a six volt xhp50 there is a lot of tint choices available.

Hopefully it is an xhp35. Heat is not much of a problem around here and Kaidomain sells a 80cri 4000k hi emitter that looks really good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    I watched a Clint Gibbs unboxing video, he powered the light up briefly and shone it on a table. Judging by the green at the edge of the beam it's probably using an xhp50 which is much more efficient than the xhp35. Xhp35's in a decent tint don't come in the highest bins so there will not be much gained over an xml2. Its also 12v, unless they nail the boost driver design its going to make more heat than a buck driver.

The xhp50 is available in three volt and has the same footprint as an xml requiring very little changes in the light. The beam produced will be wider, brighter, less throw and not so great color distribution. Not a lot of tint choices at three volts but an xml or luminous sst-40 should fit. If it is a six volt xhp50 there is a lot of tint choices available.

Hopefully it is an xhp35. Heat is not much of a problem around here and Kaidomain sells a 80cri 4000k hi emitter that looks really good.
    Thanks for sharing all that info on the XHP emitters. As I said there has been no solid confirmation on what comes with the light but will find out in a few days. From what you shared with us it sounds like it's more likely a 50. I found that video you mentioned and looks like a good Youtube site so thanks for that too!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Though not confirmed, he also said he thought the emitters were XHP35's (also unsure on K rating) which would give the light the extra output with what looks to me like less current draw ([email protected] lumens on a 4000mAh battery is very good IMO) than the previous model.
    i have done last year alot off different mods of a kaidomain KD2.

somr of them where 2x XHP50 with ~4000 Lumens .
    the other was 2x XHP35 HI 4000K, the throe was with ~ 10 basic 20mm optic crazy, ~2-3x higher Lux= throw then the XM-L2 basic light.

the great thinks abount XHP50 LEDs, great effizenz with good drivers ~ 200 lumen/ watt no problem on low currents~ 1000 lumen output.

the great thinks about XHP35 HI, they have a great color tint, and no tint shifts what XHP50 about the big dome on the LED get.
    the doenside of XHP35 HI is they have lower effizenz then XHP50 but 50% more effizenz then XM-L2 LED types with the right drivers.

i love XHP35 HI , and use them only in 4000-5000K range and play alot with them.

SST-40 LEDs have 100% same size like XM-L2 LEDs but they are like an XM-L2 on steroide.
    the downside, you only get it in ugly colors ~5000K and higher.

the funny small SST-20 is at moment the star on the LED side.
    4 times smaller then a SST-40 and XM-L2 but a full 1000 Lumen 10 Watt type like the XM-L2.

you can with this small thing crazy small throwers, and there nice color options and high CRI types.

XP-L HI in 4000K also looking great like the XHP35 HI in 4000K and make little bit more throw.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostplaces View Post
    i have done last year alot off different mods of a kaidomain KD2.

somr of them where 2x XHP50 with ~4000 Lumens .
    the other was 2x XHP35 HI 4000K, the throe was with ~ 10 basic 20mm optic crazy, ~2-3x higher Lux= throw then the XM-L2 basic light.

the great thinks abount XHP50 LEDs, great effizenz with good drivers ~ 200 lumen/ watt no problem on low currents~ 1000 lumen output.
    I would think the similar layout of the Duo would result in similar beam pattern results (will be using Gloworm optics). What I'm looking for is a nice wide beam for bar use so throw isn't as important but efficiency is as I'm wanting to be able to use a 4 cell battery and get around 4 hrs. of runtime @ 1500 lumens. Light should arrive Friday so I should be finding out what emitters come with the light then. Thanks for the info!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    What I'm looking for is a nice wide beam for bar use so throw isn't as important but efficiency is as I'm wanting to be able to use a 4 cell battery and get around 4 hrs. of runtime @ 1500 lumens.
    With XHP70 its no problem.

my tiny Xanes XL03 modded to XHP70 reaches 1000 lumen @ ~5 Watt from the battery with a 96% effizenz driver= ~200 lumen per watt.

with my XHP50 version i only reach ~170-180 lumen per watt, near the value of the SD05.
    but your wish is possible to do with them.

with XHP35 HI i end for same ~ 1000 lumen output with ~ 130 lumen per watt.

the original Xanes have any XM-L LED build in in ugly blueish tint and have with the stock driver ~ 70 lumen per Watt effizenz.

basic 2x XM-L2 lights like the gloworm X2 have ~<80 lumen per watt at same output.

with a 2x 21700 battery pack i have ~7 Hours runtime with my highest effizenz build.
    1500 lumen with over 4 Hours will not be a challange for this tiny beast, the body from this light can handle over 10 Watt of Heat easy.

You see your wish is no big deal, so you will see what they have done or not done.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Gemini Stuff at Action-LED-Lights-img_20181024_104430.jpg  

New Gemini Stuff at Action-LED-Lights-img_20181024_154906.jpg  

New Gemini Stuff at Action-LED-Lights-k-6.jpg  

Last edited by lostplaces; 10-14-2019 at 09:30 PM.

mtbr member
    USPS delivery status got updated today and may get the Duo lighthead this afternoon.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Well I got the Duo, unfortunately it has so many issues that I'm suspending any further testing till I can find out if I got a non-typical bad light.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    you have checked what is build in the light?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostplaces View Post
    you have checked what is build in the light?
    I sent an email off the the seller listing all the issues to see what they have to say. I don't think they would care if I removed the bezel and optics to check emitters but not sure about the manufacturer in case they have to send the light back. So no.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I'm sending the Duo back. Will try to keep in touch with Action-LED-Lights to see if Gemini corrects the major issues it has before roasting the light on this forum. One thing I don't think they'll change is they've gone back to using cool white emitter tint (on this light anyway). Great if you like CW but you might want to at least ask on any Gemini light to confirm what comes with it since they have been using NW for the last couple of yrs. I'm sure Jim can do emitter swaps on these lights too if appropriate tints are available for the stock emitters (I never found out what they were).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Well I got the Duo, unfortunately it has so many issues that I'm suspending any further testing till I can find out if I got a non-typical bad light.
    Mole
    Oh Crap! Super Bummer....

mtbr member
    I'm sending the Duo back. Will try to keep in touch with Action-LED-Lights to see if Gemini corrects the major issues it has before roasting the light on this forum. Mole
    Good thing you bought from an reputable seller!!