mtbr member
    What budget are we talking about?
    What kind of helmet - ride type ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominik.M View Post
    What budget are we talking about?
    What kind of helmet - ride type ?
    Around $50. I've got a 7iDP M2, same as the Fly Racing Freestone helmet. Mostly riding woods / singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig24 View Post
    Anyone suggest something to pair my BT40s clone with? Something for my helmet, all in one would be nice, any Exposure clones?
    Not sure what clone you have but if it matches the neutral white emitter tint of the BT40s it will limit your choices considerably. If you want to match emitter tint (lights work best that way) here's what I would recommend even though both are above your ideal price range. For the extra money these cost you also get a considerable upgrade in quality over anything less expensive or your clone.

Ituo Wiz1 is self-contained and close to what you want to spend but doesn't come with a helmet mount but is Gopro compatible.
    https://www.amazon.com/ITUO-Headligh...4875926&sr=8-8
    https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...l-helmet-mount

Ituo XP2 (new old stock) comes with a good helmet mount (bar mount is junk but look in product description for code for free upgraded metal mount), makes a lot more power which would compliment your BT40s clone better IMO.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._x__a_whttp://

Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 08-23-2018 at 06:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Quite light helmet I would say... So the light also should be on the light side .
    Maybe : JETBeam BR10 ?
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-jetbeam-br10-gt-11_1.jpg
    It's quite easy to get the helmet mount for this light.

mtbr member

iKirkLiten Urban 600; mini review

I just got this tonight. Rained all day today and the rain stopped about 2hrs. ago. I really like the look of this lamp. If it wasn't so late (3:40am ) I'd love to take this one for a spin but that will have to wait till tomorrow. ( see photo below )

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-ikirk-600.jpg

This little lamp claims to provide 600 lumens. Not sure it does that but my guess is that it comes pretty close. Did a lux comparison with the other cheap lamp I just got ( Tansoen Y-10 ) and the Urban 600 measured ( @~3M ) 574 lux. The Y-10 a tad less at 520 lux. Of course the Urban 600 has the more interesting beam pattern as the optic is designed to provide a bit of light directly in front of the bike with most of the light projected to the front. The optic is actually aimed at a downward angle so while there is not a really sharp cut-off, the angled beam pattern produces somewhat the same effect as long as you don't aim the lamp upward. Just how that is gonna look when I take it outside is anyone's guess but I'm hopeful that it is gonna look nice. From what I can tell shining it around in my hallway the beam pattern is not super wide. Hopefully it will be wide enough to make it worth using on the road but I won't know that till I actually take it out on the road.

So far I'm pretty impressed with this lamp. Nice little wired remote with the lamp and the lamp is made entirely of aluminum. Holding it in my hand it has some weight. The mount....I have to admit this is the first lamp I've used with one of those toothed straps. Damn was I wrong. The mount seems to work fine and holds onto the bars without any need for shims.

Almost forgot to mention the beam tint. This lamp claims to be using the XPG-3. Beam tint looks very close to what the Y-10 has but until I actually take it outside on some dry pavement I won't know for sure. A lot will depend on how the optic spreads the light as to how annoying the tint will be or not.

( Edit: Okay, I had to take it outside even if after 4am. Unfortunately the roads and paths were still very wet. It must of rained a bit more once I got home. Well, I will say the beam pattern is indeed very narrow. Even so the little Urban-600 put out a very even and well lit beam pattern from 2ft. in front of the bike to as far out as it would reach. How far?...quite far. On wet bike paths with lots of ground fog it was hard to say for sure but it definitely out throws the Raveman CR-500 I brought along for comparison. Beam tint worked very well on wet pavement. Can't wait to see what this lamp will do on dry pavement. Please note: I almost killed myself doing the quicky ride tonight....hit some wet leaves while turning and almost bought it. Skinny tires and wet leaves don't mix. I'll give my thumbs up or thumbs down after I do my ride tomorrow night )

mtbr member

iKirkLiten Urban 600; review part II

I did another short ride with the Urban 600. This time on dry pavement and all on the road. Sometimes I forget how well lit the roads are where I live with all the ambient light. Thankfully I do get a couple short segments where there is little light.

The Urban 600 does indeed have a narrow beam pattern when close to the bike. Once it reaches to about the 25 ft. range the beam pattern is about 5-6 ft. wide. At that point it gets wider the farther it reaches. How exactly far is that? Depends on how much ambient light is around but when on a really dark segment of road it looks like it might reach as far as 150 ft. on a fresh charge.

The U-600's strong point is that it works well when on straight or fairly straight roads. I almost forgot to mention that the lamp has side ports for providing some side visibility. While the lamp is designed to swivel ( side to side ) you can't do this on the fly. Once you tighten the plastic screw the mount locks in place.

My ride likely only took about 15 minutes and when I pulled up to my building the voltage indicator was just beginning to turn to "flashing red". This was not good. Flashing red usually indicates the lamp is about to turn off. With that in mind I had to find out how long the lamp was going to run if used on high. When I went inside my home I ran the lamp to cutoff. Surprisingly the lamp did provide the 1hr and 30 minutes promised by the ad ( actual time was 1hr and 35 minutes ). I have to note however that there is considerable loss of output the longer the lamp runs. Using the lux app on my phone I noticed a drop of 100 lux after just over an hour. If it was somewhere in the 550 lumen range at startup it likely was about 450 lumen at about the 1hr. and 13 minute mark. By the time the lamp cut off output was likely in the 150-200 lumen range.

Summing up: I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars. Very useful beam pattern as long as you are careful going around turns. Wired remote worked very well. Lamp is listed as having a 2500mAh battery. There is one flash mode in the main menu. I am somewhat disappointed that the lamp was not able to maintain the brightest output for more than an hour but at this price point it is not surprising. Now if you can get by with the medium mode ( which @ ~ 300 lumen is half decent ) you can obviously get a lot more run time. The voltage indicators are for the most part useless. All things considered, you will have a hard time finding a better self-contained road lamp at this price range ( $26 @ Amazon ) ( BTW, these sold out just after I mentioned that I bought one ). ( edit; The lamp has four mini ( hex? ) screws in the back. It might be possible to replace the battery...maybe )

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them. I had been using a Fluxient U2 Mini on my helmet which worked well, but I appear to have lost it since last winter

It's the Shark Motorcycle Audio BT40s clone with neutral white emitters. I always fancied a BT21 as a helmet light but never managed to get one.
    Last edited by Craig24; 08-23-2018 at 03:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Quite light helmet I would say... So the light also should be on the light side .
    Maybe : JETBeam BR10 ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetbeam-br10-gt-11_1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	1213146
    It's quite easy to get the helmet mount for this light.
    I think the person who you are addressing that wanted the helmet light wanted something self-contained and also "Neutral White". The NW part is the toughy. MMole had it right when he recommended something like the original ITUO Wiz-1. Wiz-1 is a little heavy though for the helmet ( I own one ) but it does supply a NW Cree emitter.

I own several NW single 18650 torches that can work as a helmet light. Since the guy that owns the BT40S he really needs something that will address the limitations of the BT40S...namely; BT40's has limited distance throw. Makes for a nice bar lamp but it really helps if you have another lamp with distance throw to combo with.

I like the Convoy series of torches for bike use. Still if you want "throw" you will need the right size reflector. You can order torches with different drivers and different emitters but getting the right type of reflector to suit your needs is the real toughy. The Wiz-1 can be used with a single 18650 although the one I have can also use a 26650.

Personally I think the person who wanted the NW Self-contained lamp would be better off with a standard two Cree XM-L2 bike lamp and then carry the battery in a pouch or in a hydration back pack. You can use a torch on the helmet but you can't really use torches on full output mode without there being heat issues with the lamp ( depending on what mode you use most of the time ).

Okay, now what would CMD do? I own a BT40S. If I were using it and wanted to run a lightweight self contained lamp on the lid I'd probably use my PFlex Convoy M1 18650 torch. I custom ordered the one I own so I have a NW XPL-HI emitter and a 5 mode UI. I can mount mine directly to my helmet using Velcro or use a standard Gopro helmet mount and then use a Gopro style torch holder. For me this works but I know that I can't use the turbo setting for more than a couple minutes or the torch will get really hot. Still I can run the next setting which is at 50% and that gives me about 500-600 lumen in a beam pattern that still has some decent reach. IMO, this is what that guy needs. ( Gopro helmet mounts and Gopro torch holders are available on Amazon. How well one of these setups works will depend on the vent hole design on the helmet you use )

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I think the person who you are addressing that wanted the helmet light wanted something self-contained and also "Neutral White". The NW part is the toughy. MMole had it right when he recommended something like the original ITUO Wiz-1. Wiz-1 is a little heavy though for the helmet ( I own one ) but it does supply a NW Cree emitter.

I own several NW single 18650 torches that can work as a helmet light. Since the guy that owns the BT40S he really needs something that will address the limitations of the BT40S...namely; BT40's has limited distance throw. Makes for a nice bar lamp but it really helps if you have another lamp with distance throw to combo with.

I like the Convoy series of torches for bike use. Still if you want "throw" you will need the right size reflector. You can order torches with different drivers and different emitters but getting the right type of reflector to suit your needs is the real toughy. The Wiz-1 can be used with a single 18650 although the one I have can also use a 26650.

Personally I think the person who wanted the NW Self-contained lamp would be better off with a standard two Cree XM-L2 bike lamp and then carry the battery in a pouch or in a hydration back pack. You can use a torch on the helmet but you can't really use torches on full output mode without there being heat issues with the lamp ( depending on what mode you use most of the time ).

Okay, now what would CMD do? I own a BT40S. If I were using it and wanted to run a lightweight self contained lamp on the lid I'd probably use my PFlex Convoy M1 18650 torch. I custom ordered the one I own so I have a NW XPL-HI emitter and a 5 mode UI. I can mount mine directly to my helmet using Velcro or use a standard Gopro helmet mount and then use a Gopro style torch holder. For me this works but I know that I can't use the turbo setting for more than a couple minutes or the torch will get really hot. Still I can run the next setting which is at 50% and that gives me about 500-600 lumen in a beam pattern that still has some decent reach. IMO, this is what that guy needs. ( Gopro helmet mounts and Gopro torch holders are available on Amazon. How well one of these setups works will depend on the vent hole design on the helmet you use )
    Thanks for the detailed response. What if I was going to go down the lamp and separate battery route, what would you recommend for pairing with the BT40s, seen as thought the B21 and the Yinding are no longer available, I only ask as I have a spare battery pack so it may make more sense.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the detailed response. What if I was going to go down the lamp and separate battery route, what would you recommend for pairing with the BT40s, seen as thought the B21 and the Yinding are no longer available, I only ask as I have a spare battery pack so it may make more sense.
    I still think this Amazon Ituo XP2 is your best value!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._x__a_whttp://

Here's another option you can get as a lighthead only in NW tint that works very well with th BT40s. Probably as much for just the lighthead (and your missing out on thee excellent 6800 mAh Panasonic cell battery pack that comes with the XP2 kit) but it does come with this cool QR bar mount that with work with your BT40s with the addition of an additional adapter and Gopro mount for your existing light. Centers the light in front of the stem.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...t=355771482130

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...andlebar-mount

Mole

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-003.jpg

**I know this stuff isn't cheap Chinese but with no availability on the BT21 (I loved this light) or NW Yinding I know of nothing left that's not just junk**

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for taking one for the team and ordering the iKirkLiten Cateye. I like that we are getting some half-decent all-in-ones for under $40. The fact that it has a car like cutoff and a remote is even better.

I just checked out what MrMole said about the NW Yinding. That's a big loss if it's permanent. I was thinking of grabbing a 3rd NW as a backup this fall. We need to convince gearbest to carry those again, it's still one of the best lights in the cheap-light category in my opinion. There will be lots of guys in the next two months who would have benefited from this light. We always get swamped with the light recommendation requests this time of year. Perhaps we could reengage gearbest.

Here's a Yinding clone with 3 mode groups
    https://www.lightmalls.com/2xcree-xm...ly-khaki-color

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Here's a Yinding clone with 3 mode groups
    https://www.lightmalls.com/2xcree-xm...ly-khaki-color
    That's interesting! Is it really a clone, or yet another "visually similar" thingie with no thermal path and waterproofing? The reviews tab at LM is empty currently...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This is same as KD2 I've reviewed quite some time ago. Besides KD also has NW leds.

So nothing new I would say, driver has same UI. Ok, maybe different lenses, very likely more narrow ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    This is same as KD2 I've reviewed quite some time ago.
    Ok, thanks.

mtbr member
    Pretty much what MRM just told you. If you want to keep to a low budget likely the ITUO XP2 is gonna be your best bang for the buck. At the $99 price point they are giving you the lamp head, 6800mAh battery which also includes the Gopro style helmet mount I believe....AND, more importantly it comes standard with NW Cree XM-L2 emitters. ** Basic standard optics are one spot and one medium flood. The only thing I would change if I could would be that you find another spot optic and change it to dual spot.

Of course there are other options as MRM has posted. Now although you don't always hear about it you can also contact Jim at ActionLED and ask if he has any refurbished Gloworm X2's laying around. Sometimes he sells those at rock bottom price and can setup with neutral white LED's for a little bit more. Worth looking into if you already have a battery. I own a refurbished X2 with NW leds ( from ActionLED ) and it is my go-to bar lamp on my MTB ( when I'm not testing other bike lights ).

( edit: Actionled also sells helmet mounts for the X2's as well and you will likely need one. )

( edit II; ** this statement might be wrong, see my next post )
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 08-24-2018 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them. I had been using a Fluxient U2 Mini on my helmet which worked well, but I appear to have lost it since last winter

It's the Shark Motorcycle Audio BT40s clone with neutral white emitters. I always fancied a BT21 as a helmet light but never managed to get one.
    I just wanted to make a possible correction from my last post. I mentioned that the ITUO XP2 came stock with a spot optic and a med-flood optic. MRM has informed me that his XP2 came spot/spot. If so you might want to check with the seller just to make sure. Spot/spot would be better for helmet use. ( If you buy from the seller on Amazon they are usually very responsive to questions ) If you do in fact ask the seller a question, ask him if the XP3 comes stock with all spots as well )

mtbr member

iKirkLiten Urban 600; review part III, The follow up

After getting home tonight at around 1am I decided to take another road ride. Late as it was with the full moon out and not a cloud in the sky I just had to take a ride. Already had my bike ready with the Raveman CR900 already mounted to my bars. Then just as I was getting ready to leave I decided to take the Urban 600 along as well, just to give it another go round.

A quarter mile after I leave my home I hit a nice 4-lane road that is a slight downhill that goes on for about a mile. Part of the road has some street lamps but not all the way. I decided to turn on the U-600 to see how it works when I'm at speed ( > 20 mph ). Little U-600 did very well seeing that this road is fairly straight. I should mention here that I was also experimenting with the 300 lumen mode and that works pretty good as well. The more I use the Urban 600 the more I like it. That said I still prefer my CR-900. Once you get used to the wide beam pattern of the Raveman's it's hard to go back to anything else with a narrow beam pattern.

Now about that beam pattern; I know I said before that the beam pattern of the Urban 600 is about 5-6 ft wide at around 25 ft. and get wider as it reaches out. While true, it still is about the same width right in front of the bike. If you were on a paved bike path and it was straight you would be able to see the whole bike path just as long as you are continuing on straight.

As I see it this makes for a very good lamp for urban use. Maybe that's why they called it the Urban 600. Because the beam is so narrow it shouldn't be as annoying to on-coming traffic that is in the opposite lanes. I tested this assumption when I got back to my building. Because the Raveman CR900 projects so wide a beam pattern more of that light does enter into the visual periphery of on-coming vehicles. While the same is true to a lesser degree for the Urban 600 the U600 is slightly less annoying as far less light bleeds over to the far lanes. With the Urban 600 you can see virtually nothing off to the sides of the road. Regardless in all honesty, both lights can be annoying if on the higher output levels and pointed at someone or something directly head-on. LED lights are just hard to look at if too close, cutoff or no cutoff. A cutoff beam pattern just helps soften the blow.

Tonight when I got back to my building the lamp's battery indicator was not in flashing red mode. It was in steady red mode but since I was using the 300 lumen mode a lot I guess I had more power left than last night even though I rode longer tonight. I just wish the voltage indicators would only turn red when at half power and flashing red when you have 15 minutes left. Sadly that is not the case. When you use this lamp you have to keep an eye on the clock if you tend to ride longer than 1.5 hrs. ( with the lamp on high )

As for myself I will continue to favor the Raveman CR-900...( Yeah, because you got it for free right)....okay, I didn't pay for it but I like being able to see through turns and I like being able to see a wide section of road and I love that the digital readout gives me a better idea of how much battery run time I have left and I love the better beam tint....*whew*. Now if you don't have deer jumping out at you on your night runs the Urban 600 will make for a nice commuting light.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 08-25-2018 at 09:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Anybody tried this or even seen it. Seems to be new. Wonder if it's decent. Looks nice but.......................

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2400LM-Doub...cAAOSwLh9a4-gF

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No, but was asking Gearbest if they can get it to stock to be reviewed. No luck so far. It is on my schedule if it shows up at GB.

Just now I saw same lights with different brand name - you guessed it, it's UltrafFire.
    Will see if I can get any of those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Anybody tried this or even seen it. Seems to be new. Wonder if it's decent. Looks nice but.......................

Just ordered. Need an all in one to put on the little ones bike. XPEs so should have a nice tight beam.
    I have low expectations but hope it isn't complete crap.

mtbr member
    Yo better don't. I know this lamp from Alibaba - in wholesale offer it's described as:
    Y12 Bike LED Headlight Front Lamp 2 x XPE LEDs 350LM USB Charging Bicycle Headlight with 5 Modes
    So in practice it might have 300 lumens from 2 Cree XP-E led's

mtbr member
    So in practice it might have 300 lumens from 2 Cree XP-E led's
    Yes, perfect for a 7 year old girl riding around the 'hood.

mtbr member

Looks almost like the Tansoren Y-10 I just got. It seems these types of lights are a dime a dozen both on Amazon and Ebay. @znomit....I think your little one will be pleased. The one I have puts out more than enough light to please a very young person. Should make for a good ride-the-neighborhood type light. The biggest danger you will face will be that if she leaves it on the bike that someone might come along and steal it if left unattended.

I should note that on the one I have the rubber flap that protects the micro-USB port will not reinsert. I tried and tried and no luck. Only way I see to get it stay is to just put some electrical tape over it. Goodness knows how the Chinese were able to get it to stay in when first made.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for all the recommendations, due to being in the UK the Ituo ended up quite expensive so as I was on a budget I ordered a Kaidomain BL2s, hopefully it will do the job!

mtbr member
    Another good looking under-performer :
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-coomas_t20c_1.jpg
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-coomas_t20c_5.jpg
    Coomas T20C - 30$ - 1200 lumens
    Soshine TC17 USB - 28,87$ - 2400 lumens
    Dualhouse SFL-T20 - 23$ - 1600 lumens
    JEXREE T20C - 30$ - 1200-1500 lumens
    General T20C on Alibaba about 17-18$ in wholesale.

I got mine from Aliexpress for 30$ - it was looking promising, also getting the samples from Ali is sometimes cheaper and faster than asking manufacturer. The lamp arrived in white box, the handlebar mount was broken on arrive (somebody have tried to put it together with superglue !!). Beside that the lamp is heavy and looks very solid, the body is very well finished.
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-img_20180831_110738172_hdr.jpg
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-img_20180831_110828978.jpg

So the results are :
    hi - 470 lumens
    mid - 189 lumens
    low - 59 lumens

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-20180831151928.png

For the price, I was hoping for at least 800 lumens, so a bit disappointed here + faulty mount, also the light is a bit blue for my liking

mtbr member
    New light is on the pre-order on Bangood : Xanes DL13 - for 19.99$ looks like a reasonable price light (at the same time it is sold for $56.46 on DHgate but "only" 1200 lumens ).

- 1200 lumens
    - 2 leds warm white / cool white ? (Cool White+ Warm Orange in original description).
    - light sensor - with automatic light adjustment
    - mode display ?
    - modes in 3 groups

XANES DL13 2* L2 1500LM

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-xanes_dl13_3.jpg

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-xanes_dl13_7.jpg

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-xanes_dl13_5.jpg

The main issue might be this front semi-transparent cover - it might be to bight for comfortable night-riding .

Also - they are changing the price... Now it is : 36.89$

Update : e-mail price (19,99) still works - link update.
    Last edited by Dominik.M; 09-18-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Link update.

mtbr member
    Somewhat strange that they decide to use two different tints of LED. Looks like it's intended to be a Fenix BC30 clone. I'd have my doubts as to how this might work as a bike light but if you don't like it as a bike light you still can use it as a portable phone charger assuming you don't already have one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Now that it is getting dark again I installed my BT40s and found that it only works for about 10 seconds. I will probably open it up and look for obvious things, but is there a good replacement anyone would recommend?
    I am considering just getting another one off of amazon if I don't find a better option.

mtbr member
    I don't think you'll find a better option in it's price range.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I placed an order for two more today.

Tonight I was investigating and it seems I have a break in the cable near the connector.
    I guess I should go to the DOY light forum and look for a parts source.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    I placed an order for two more today.

Tonight I was investigating and it seems I have a break in the cable near the connector.
    I guess I should go to the DOY light forum and look for a parts source.
    Should be easy to fix but I've never tried to access the back of the lamp. I'm sure someone on DIY forum will tell you exactly what you need to do.

Last weekend I finally had the chance to giveaway another one of my cheap Chinese lights. I was loading my MTB and gear into my car when I noticed a young boy riding a MTB through the parking lot wearing one of those pointy birthday hats. Some of his friends / family were watching, they too wearing the pointy birthday hats. He was riding up and down the parking lot to my building and was grinning ear to ear with joy as he was likely riding his first MTB. This inspired me to run back inside my place and find one of the Blitzu Gator 390 lamp sets I have sitting in a box collecting dust.

Anyway, I called the boy over and gave him the lamp set ( front and rear lamp ) and helped him put it on his new bike and quicky explained how to work the functions of the lamps. I left shorty after but I'm sure at some point that I'll see him riding through the parking lot again with his new bike and light. When I do I'm sure it will give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Like I've said before, if I'd had one of these lamps when I was a kid I'd been thrilled to all get-out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Should be easy to fix but I've never tried to access the back of the lamp. I'm sure someone on DIY forum will tell you exactly what you need to do.

Last weekend I finally had the chance to giveaway another one of my cheap Chinese lights. I was loading my MTB and gear into my car when I noticed a young boy riding a MTB through the parking lot wearing one of those pointy birthday hats. Some of his friends / family were watching, they too wearing the pointy birthday hats. He was riding up and down the parking lot to my building and was grinning ear to ear with joy as he was likely riding his first MTB. This inspired me to run back inside my place and find one of the Blitzu Gator 390 lamp sets I have sitting in a box collecting dust.

Anyway, I called the boy over and gave him the lamp set ( front and rear lamp ) and helped him put it on his new bike and quicky explained how to work the functions of the lamps. I left shorty after but I'm sure at some point that I'll see him riding through the parking lot again with his new bike and light. When I do I'm sure it will give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Like I've said before, if I'd had one of these lamps when I was a kid I'd been thrilled to all get-out.
    Love it! Very nice thing to do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Anyway, I called the boy over and gave him the lamp set ( front and rear lamp ) and helped him put it on his new bike and quicky explained how to work the functions of the lamps.
    That is an awesome thing to do.
    I have a wife and 4 kids who also bike and it gets dark up here so i know these will all get put to use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    Now that it is getting dark again I installed my BT40s and found that it only works for about 10 seconds. I will probably open it up and look for obvious things, but is there a good replacement anyone would recommend?
    I am considering just getting another one off of amazon if I don't find a better option.
    I have two battery packs for my Amazon bt40, both died. I opened the packs and found one of them had a shorted wire where it bends around the tip of the pack. I soldered new wore on and epoxied the end tight do it won't rub through again.

The other pack had a. 3v difference between cells with no balancing or protection board. Straight power to the batteries........ That one turned off after a few seconds too, I think it's the balance. I bought a board off ebay, will let you know if the $5 board fixes it.

Both came from the Amazon seller, although I don't remember which was the replacement.

BTW, that blitzu light is one of the best deals for a marker light I've found, I love that brand

mtbr member
    I was just looking at that new Gloworm/GoPro connector, looks sweet.

BT40S is still a great lighthead/Value, Throw away the battery.
    Revtronic 1600 Lumens Bike Light - Cree LED Bike Lights

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I still think this Amazon Ituo XP2 is your best value!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFGOOHU

Here's another option you can get as a lighthead only in NW tint that works very well with th BT40s. Probably as much for just the lighthead (and your missing out on thee excellent 6800 mAh Panasonic cell battery pack that comes with the XP2 kit) but it does come with this cool QR bar mount that with work with your BT40s with the addition of an additional adapter and Gopro mount for your existing light. Centers the light in front of the stem.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...t=355771482130

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...andlebar-mount

Mole

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	1213387

**I know this stuff isn't cheap Chinese but with no availability on the BT21 (I loved this light) or NW Yinding I know of nothing left that's not just junk**
    Last edited by patski; 08-24-2019 at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ledoman - I am looking at the "KD" website under bike lights. Decent prices. You say geniune Cree leds. Can assume geniune claims of Lumens too?
    Those are probably USD, so I'd be in for $40 which would be $50 Canadian bucks.

I just ride paved pathway trails that dog walkers, runners, use, two lane probably 4 to 5' across, and the older red clay trails that arent used as much, but also want to start riding single track at night. I like bright, never had any decent bright bike light before.

Any recommendations?
    KD Bike Lights Link

Yes, this combination is still one of the best budget combination out there. The only thing you need to care is overheating of Yinding. Using some fins on the mount (Vancbiker) or at least use alu mount from DX would help. Keep it at lower modes when not moving.
    If you decided to go with KD2 light I would suggest you to use better battery. Not that linked set is all bad, but KD Panasonic pack is shurely much better. So get separately
    http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S023808.z
    and
    http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024442.z
    Be aware they might have problems shipping battery packs alone. Contact their sales department.
    I suspect the first one has wider beam. From side view they looks similar to ones KD2 light use. I would not go with second one. Got some similar one and the lenses are somewhat curved. Can take a look at evening when I get home (that is more than 12 hours) and try to compare.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What I have seen and tested (BL2s, KD2 10 level, SS X5, SSX2 (where noted as geniue), KD S023818) all have original Cree leds which is rare nowadays. Now it depends on your needs and where you want to put the light (bar, helmet). On pawed paths almost any could be good. Bumpy trails are whole different story.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    Can assume geniune claims of Lumens too?
    Assume not unless measured by an independent source. Most Chinese bike light lumen output claims are very exaggerated.

This site has tested the lumen output or a good many bike lights.
    We Test Lights | Bike Tests and Teviews

Scott A. Novak

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, if you know what are leds capable off and aprox looses then you you can get feeling about real lumens.
    So in this case for Cree XM-L or XM-L2 you can take 1000-1100 lumens per led in ideal (cooled) environment. Take 30-40% looses away any you get aprox values for OTF. Honest Chinese sellers advertize ideal lumens, rarely real ones out of the front (OTF). Anything above is exaggerated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Those look like decent prices to me. I just may buy two different ones.

The one I purchased and tried last winter was
    https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ht/A-p8546038e
    just too large, I got it on sale, for half off or something.

Solar Storm X5 is $25

Solar Storm X3 is $19

KD2 Level 10 - $16 - found your review, very nice!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...vy-940595.html

KD S023818 - Cant find

BL2s - $16

What I have seen and tested (BL2s, KD2 10 level, SS X5, SSX2 (where noted as geniue), KD S023818) all have original Cree leds which is rare nowadays. Now it depends on your needs and where you want to put the light (bar, helmet). On pawed paths almost any could be good. Bumpy trails are whole different story.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If we are talking only about suitable KD lights then:

- SS X5 is good for paved roads/urban and has NW leds option, mount is bit shakey, has two beam types. (near, far). User interface need some time to get used to, but can operate each led separately.
    -

For MTB bar use
    - KD S023818 (part number) - NW leds, can be modified for 20mm TIR lenses

For MTB helmet use:

-Geniue NW SS X2 from KD if you want to stay on cheapo side. No that is soo good (still needs internal inspection and adding thermal paste), but comes with NW leds XM-L2 3C.
    - KD BL2S - bit wider beam
    - KD2 same TIR lenses as above, has the best user interface but it needs some tweaking for heat transfer. Not waterproof. Yes, there is thread about it.

All above has NW leds about 3C.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Another XANES DL14 selfcontained USB rechargable el cheapo light. Looks prommising for commuting purposes. It might be good to mod it with better leds.

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-f4e84483-4893-4850-8c38-75274f285916.jpg

https://www.banggood.com/XANES-DL14-...p-1340528.html

mtbr member
    My first thought was it's too short to contain 18650(s). Then I see the mAh rating is 1250, so I wonder if it contains a single 18350 (assuming the 1250mAh is accurate). They could have probably put two 18350's in it and doubled capacity/runtime.

Mount looks decent.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    what battery would you recommend to replace the one with the BT40?

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I was just looking at that new Gloworm/GoPro connector, looks sweet.

BT40S is still a great lighthead/Value, Throw away the battery.
    Revtronic 1600 Lumens Bike Light - Cree LED Bike Lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    My first thought was it's too short to contain 18650(s). Then I see the mAh rating is 1250, so I wonder if it contains a single 18350 (assuming the 1250mAh is accurate). They could have probably put two 18350's in it and doubled capacity/runtime.

Mount looks decent.

-Garry
    Probably only going to output 300-400 lumen tops, likely with a 2hr run time on high. Likely using Chinese cool white emitters. At least is uses a decent mount. Same mount as the Tansoren lamp I have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8fasushi View Post
    what battery would you recommend to replace the one with the BT40?
    I don't know why patski said to throw away the battery. No one who owns one as mentioned getting a bad battery AFAIK.

Always going to be other options for batteries but the cheapest / easiest option is to buy a 4 cell battery holder ( like the Trustfire ) and buy some good quality loose cells. After that when the cells get old just buy new loose cells ( which, I may add has become easier to do than buying an affordable dedicated 4-cell battery pack )

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ok, maybe one of you can mod this thing to be real 2500+ lumens. It's weird but might be capable in the right hands here. And maybe a KD 10.2 battery.

https://www.banggood.com/XANES-2500L...r_warehouse=CN

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't know why patski said to throw away the battery. No one who owns one as mentioned getting a bad battery AFAIK.

Always going to be other options for batteries but the cheapest / easiest option is to buy a 4 cell battery holder ( like the Trustfire ) and buy some good quality loose cells. After that when the cells get old just buy new loose cells ( which, I may add has become easier to do than buying an affordable dedicated 4-cell battery pack )
    awesome, thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What do you guys think about Gaciron bike lights?

https://gaciron.aliexpress.com/store/2906009

V9F-600 looks like an interesting commuter light, it has cutoff lens. Does anyone know, if the 18650 is replaceble? A Panasonic 3400mAh in one would be great.
    It has 4 screws in the back:

Price is about $16-20 at Aliexpress and Ebay.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...25944914.html?

There is an additional remote switch for V9F-600

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicy...908854561.html

and extra brackets are available

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GACIRON-Bic...sAAOSwZQxW4SdO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juhake View Post
    What do you guys think about Gaciron bike lights?

https://gaciron.aliexpress.com/store/2906009
    Some of those Garciron offers look pretty good. I like the dual emitter setups. The 1800 version has some nice features ( Cree XM-L2 U3 emitters, LG batteries, remote switch ) Could give the Raveman PR-1200 or Fenix BC30R a run for the money. The big question though is the optics. These are not exactly cut-off type optics ( lens ) but more or less a partial flood enhanced lens. I like the idea of a wider commuter light as long as it still has some throw. The Gold version ( claimed 1800 lumen ) is not real cheap so pretty much cost as much or more than a Raveman PR-1200. Now the 1600 version is just like the 1800 but not as bright...price much more to my liking. If I was in the market for a new self contained dual emitter lamp I might consider the 1600 version.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Some of those Garciron offers look pretty good. I like the dual emitter setups. The 1800 version has some nice features ( Cree XM-L2 U3 emitters, LG batteries, remote switch ) Could give the Raveman PR-1200 or Fenix BC30R a run for the money. The big question though is the optics. These are not exactly cut-off type optics ( lens ) but more or less a partial flood enhanced lens. I like the idea of a wider commuter light as long as it still has some throw. The Gold version ( claimed 1800 lumen ) is not real cheap so pretty much cost as much or more than a Raveman PR-1200. Now the 1600 version is just like the 1800 but not as bright...price much more to my liking. If I was in the market for a new self contained dual emitter lamp I might consider the 1600 version.
    The battery is a 2 cell claiming 5000mah on the 1600 and 6700mah on the 1800. I'm guessing the 1600 and 1800 claim are way off based on the battery mah claim as a 2 cell. Just a thought. Be careful you get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    The battery is a 2 cell claiming 5000mah on the 1600 and 6700mah on the 1800. I'm guessing the 1600 and 1800 claim are way off based on the battery mah claim as a 2 cell. Just a thought. Be careful you get what you pay for.
    Yes, I know I saw the same thing. Perhaps they are both LG's ...this...and this

I should note that none of these lamps have the digital read out like the Raveman's or Fenix.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    thing is those lamps arent even theirs. like 10 different companies make similar "claims" for the same exact lights. And one thing I have found is lights that cheap is that the emitters are NOT cree (or some very old version cree) and cells are never whatever brand they claim. And we all know lumen numbers are never near the claims either sadly.

But that said, you get what you pay for. If that's your budget and works for what you need, you have a light and can be out riding so that is all that matters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-2-4-900x601.jpg

Saw this in the MTBR Interbike coverage sidebar. Interested to see full specs. but the video said it had XPL emitters, 2000 "Magicshine lumens", field replaceable batteries (the term battery pack was uses so may not be individual cells), OLED display, and a twist on garmin style mount. Nice features but wonder what the price will be (reasonable but not necessarily cheap?).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    thing is those lamps arent even theirs. like 10 different companies make similar "claims" for the same exact lights. And one thing I have found is lights that cheap is that the emitters are NOT cree (or some very old version cree) and cells are never whatever brand they claim. And we all know lumen numbers are never near the claims either sadly.

But that said, you get what you pay for. If that's your budget and works for what you need, you have a light and can be out riding so that is all that matters.

I have to laugh and while I know what you are saying is true, I'm not sure this is really breaking news to anyone if you understand how the Chinese go about doing business. They will clone and re-market almost anything if they think it will make a buck, even one of their own.

When it comes to the Gaciron brand, I think this is an attempt at the Chinese to take a different approach to marketing. Looks as though they've even gone as far as marketing this brand name at Interbike. The website looks very nice and obviously is trying to impress. ( interesting that it is linked directly to Aliexpress...) One of the lamps they sell is the *GACIRON V9F-600 lumen. This is an exact duplicate of the *iKirkLiten Urban 600 lamp I bought some weeks ago. That said I see no other ( exact ) clones of the Gaciron dual emitter lamps although I'm sure they are likely out there somewhere under another brand name...lol.

The ad for *both lamps is the same. Both say the lamp comes with a Cree XP-G3 and is 600 lumen. If that's true they chose a lousy LED bin. Too much blue in the beam tint to please my discerning eyes. The video ( Gaciron ) and still photo ( iKirkLiten ) do nothing to show you the actual beam pattern. The videos on the Gaciron site show a bike riding down a dark road from the front! How can you judge a beam pattern viewing from the front?!...LOL. The still photo on the Amazon website shows a photo looking from the rear but there is ambient light that appears to make the lamp provide a wider beam pattern. The actual beam pattern is quite narrow when close to the bike.

I still wouldn't mind reviewing the Gaciron dual emitter 1600. That said I'm not willing to drop coin on one if the emitter tint is anything like the iKirkLiten's. I'm too used to the beautiful white tints and wide beam pattern of the Raveman lamps to drop coin on something unproven and likely inferior. If I got one for free I'd try it but I'm not spending money on something that my CAt-gut is telling me is a waste of money.

mtbr member
    ...Saw this in the MTBR Interbike coverage sidebar. Interested to see full specs. but the video said it had XPL emitters, 2000 "Magicshine lumens", field replaceable batteries (the term battery pack was uses so may not be individual cells), OLED display, and a twist on garmin style mount. Nice features but wonder what the price will be (reasonable but not necessarily cheap?).
    Mole
    Looks like it's using a COB panel for close up flood. That might actually work if it's bright enough. Of course a lot of COB led's don't always provide a nice white tint.

Need I say, I don't know if I can ever trust Magicshine with any lumen claims they make on any lamp they sell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have been out of the light market for a while. Just coming back it seems none of the lights I used to know about are still available...

I'm looking for a helmet light to complement a BT40s on the bars.

I do like the looks of this one, but hearing that the heat-sinking is no good:
    http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...ens-Bike-Light

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-s026168-cover-768x1000.jpg

(or maybe this http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...ens-Bike-Light not really seeing much a difference overall)

Also seems a lot of places are not selling batteries with the lights. Where are people going for decent quality battery packs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by j__h View Post
    I have been out of the light market for a while. Just coming back it seems none of the lights I used to know about are still available...

I'm looking for a helmet light to complement a BT40s on the bars.

I do like the looks of this one, but hearing that the heat-sinking is no good:
    http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...ens-Bike-Light

Name:	S026168-cover-768x1000.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	1218392

(or maybe this http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...ens-Bike-Light not really seeing much a difference overall)

Also seems a lot of places are not selling batteries with the lights. Where are people going for decent quality battery packs?

I'll guess this at about 800 lumens at best.

BTW, does Magicshine still exaggerate their lumen claims. That 6500 lumen lamp looks nice but what i it in the real World and is the quality better than it used to be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'll guess this at about 800 lumens at best.

BTW, does Magicshine still exaggerate their lumen claims. That 6500 lumen lamp looks nice but what i it in the real World and is the quality better than it used to be.

Given 2 XML2's I would have suspected more, maybe they under-drive them.

As for MagicShine I used to buy from action Led, they give measured lumens as well. So for this one https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...icshine-mj-908 that claims 8000 lumens it actually is 4200 lumens.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by j__h View Post
    Given 2 XML2's I would have suspected more, maybe they under-drive them.

As for MagicShine I used to buy from action Led, they give measured lumens as well. So for this one https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...icshine-mj-908 that claims 8000 lumens it actually is 4200 lumens.
    no such thing as "under driving" them. They dont have to be driven at max. Actually max isnt the most efficient which is why most dont push LEDs at max current, more heat to deal with. As well.as cheap lights use either fake cree or much older low bin ones that are cheap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    no such thing as "under driving" them. They dont have to be driven at max. Actually max isnt the most efficient which is why most dont push LEDs at max current, more heat to deal with. As well.as cheap lights use either fake cree or much older low bin ones that are cheap.

I am aware of the technical details of driving an LED. If instead of "under driving" lets just say driven significantly below what the LEDs can handle. If the LED's used are accurate then 800 lumens out of 2 XML2's would mean significantly lower current than the LEDs themselves (though not necessarily the light head system) could handle.

Take for example the 2018 M-tiger with 2 XML2 LEDS (big fan of the features of this light series, seriously thinking of buying it), it claims 1800 Lumens (is this accurate?). Are those LED's being operated at a good point for it's max setting? If instead it was sold with a max light mode of 800 Lumens, would that be less than ideal max setting?

As for the dies, I was seeing mention of the KD branded ones being legitimate, but that could have been wrong or outdated.

mtbr member
    There haven't been any reports of the KD lights coming with fake emitters. They're probably just underdriven to deal with their lousy heatsinking (thermal path).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Yep cooling is ALWAYS the limiting factor except in a laboratory setting where an LED is placed on a massively oversized and cooled heatsink to figure out the max truly is. There is just no way for the smaller size of some of these tiny bike lights to handle the power load of 2000 lumens, that's nearly 20W of power.

I need to figure out a way to convey this information a bit more clearly... about how much power a certain size lighthead can actually support reliably and what the actual "max lumens" possible is.... any ideas?

mtbr member
    There haven't been any reports of the KD lights coming with fake emitters. They're probably just underdriven to deal with their lousy heatsinking (thermal path).

-Garry
    Are you still in contact with Andy @ Revtronic/Nitefighter? Was out with my BT21 last night and the BT70 the night before and got me thinking about the current situation with inexpensive performance lights. The exit of Yinding means no good combo (that I know of) for the BT40s anymore that isn't considerably more expensive and will make it hard for me to recommend the BT40s because of the lack of a good tint match that's similarly affordable. Also if the tariff's raise the price of lights in general I would think this would expand the market for less expensive performance lights. Maybe it's time to rattle Andy's cage about bringing the BT21 back.
    Mole

mtbr member
    My last contact with Andy was a long time ago when he lead me to believe something was in the works (but I've not seen anything since). I could email him again and try to persuade him that releasing something in the near future would be a very good move for him.

-Garry

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
    ... about how much power a certain size lighthead can actually support reliably and what the actual "max lumens" possible is.... any ideas?
    It really is a tough thing to just try to apply some sort of "rule of thumb" to. Ambient temp while in use is a huge variable. The housing design is a factor too.

In building several different DIY designs over the past 7-8 years, I've landed on trying to get a housing surface area about 1 square inch per Watt. At a slow riding pace (~5MPH) in the 40F-60F temps will pretty easily keep the light under ~130F when running at a high setting. If I took that light formula to Phoenix and rode with MrMole, there is no way that would work. In my later designs I have been putting the majority of the heatsink fins directly behind the LED mounting surface. This seems to give slightly better results. My housings are monolithic so no thermal joint between an LED mount surface and the housing though since in the DIY world, I'm pretty much forced to use emitters on stars, there is a thermal joint.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    My last contact with Andy was a long time ago when he lead me to believe something was in the works (but I've not seen anything since). I could email him again and try to persuade him that releasing something in the near future would be a very good move for him.

-Garry
    I'd appreciate if you tried to contact him. Would be great if current events convinced him that now is a good time to start producing the BT21 again. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
    Mole

mtbr member

-Garry
    I think the better approach would be to contact someone with Gearbest and see if they can bring back either the Yinding and/or the Solarstorm X3 with neutral white emitters. Bonus points if you can get either with XP-L HI NW emitters. I think it best to forget about the two emitter BT21 Nitefighter lamp.

Gearbest still has the web link to the NW Solarstorm X3 only the website says it is discontinued. I know the SStorm stuff was/is not real snazzy but I had one of the SSX3's in NW and it did a fairly nice job when used as a helmet light. The slightly larger size of the X3 also helped get rid of some of the heat. If I had a choice between Yinding with NW XP-L HI's or SStorm X3 with NW XM-L2's....ugh....I'd have to flip a coin to decide which would be best. X3 with XP-L HI's...give me the X3.

I also see the NW SStorm X3 listed on Amazon, also listed as, "unavailable". I'll send a message to the Amazon seller and see if they plan to renew the stock.

mtbr member
    I think it best to forget about the two emitter BT21 Nitefighter lamp.
    I gotta ask why you think this? Personally I would have no interest in another Yinding (I don't use the one I have) or anything from Solarstorm (never had any interest when available) but would be all over a new BT21. I still use my BT21 all the time and it remains one of my favorite lights even though I have lots of newer/more expensive lights (that I don't like to use as much) so I don't understand.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I gotta ask why you think this? Personally I would have no interest in another Yinding (I don't use the one I have) or anything from Solarstorm (never had any interest when available) but would be all over a new BT21. I still use my BT21 all the time and it remains one of my favorite lights even though I have lots of newer/more expensive lights (that I don't like to use as much) so I don't understand.
    Mole
    It doesn't have anything to do with what I myself would want. The BT21 was linked with the BT40S and was only sold under the Nitefighter brand name. None of us really know why they stopped selling them. FWIW someone in China decided to stop making them. For some reason the BT40 series continues to sell under both the Nitefighter and Revtronic brand names as you well know.

The Yinding is likely in the same boat as the BT21. It's gone and probably not coming back Whoever was making them probably decided to retool and sell something else, who knows? The Solarstorm X3 is still made and sold. That said all that needs to be done with those is to switch out with NW emitters.

The whole basis for my previous comment was in response to other's question, "What NW cheap Chinese helmet lamp could best be matched with the BT40S"? If you are going to ask the Chinese to bring back a lamp that is no longer made I would think your best bet of getting that done would be with a lamp that is or was sold by many websites. The BT21 was only sold by Gearbest under the Nitefighter brand name and was only available for a short number of months AFAICRemember. The Yinding and SSX3 were sold by many. Heck, even if the BT21 was to be brought back there is no guarantee that they would use the same driver.

Anyway, just trying to help the poorer folk who are looking for a light to combo with the BT40's. At least there are a couple options on KD. If it were me and I was looking to buy a cheap Chinese NW helmet lamp I'd lean toward the KD NW version of the MJ880. Otherwise as I've often said, "If you are going to buy two lamps at least one should be a good brand name lamp". Lots of options for a cheap NW bar lamp. Not as many options if you want something decent in NW for the helmet. Buying a good ( brighter ) brand name lamp for the helmet is always going to be the better way to go.

mtbr member
    It doesn't have anything to do with what I myself would want.

Anyway, just trying to help the poorer folk who are looking for a light to combo with the BT40's.
    OK, I understand where your coming from now. Probability of getting a NW X3 is more realistic. With the fact that the last time Garry and Andy communicated it was mentioned that something was in the works about bring the BT21 back I was hopeful the lack of competition in the inexpensive performance thrower category might be enough incentive for Revtronic/Nitefighter to make it happen. It might be a light that I want (and other members of the BT21 cult) but also a better light for everyone else too. Like I said earlier, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Mole
    Mole...if you have a Yinding that you don't ever use, I'll gladly buy it from you. If it's not neutral white, that's even better to match my bright white S12 Xeccon helmet light that's still going strong!

I LOVE the Yinding, because of the tiny size and weight. Mine just died on me after over 2 years of usage a few times a week. The green light still comes on the back, but the LED's don't fire up. I don't have the knowledge to take it apart and see if it's something simple...but I might try since it's a "no lose" situation at this point.

Seriously...I would love to get your Yinding if you want to part with it. (That almost sounds bad...) :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Has anyone played around with one of these? I picked one up for $15 and it seems pretty dang bright (bright enough for street rides and slower trail rides).
    I bought a diffuser lens for two buck to give a wider beam, but it sacrifices too much projection.
    'Gonna buy a second light and use that one for the diffuser. All-in for both lights will be less than thirty bucks.

Of course I have nothing to compare it to, so it may be dim by "normal" standards.
    Single "cree" LED in each unit with a 4x18650 LiPo hand grenade for each:

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-light.jpg

mtbr member
    They are typical Magicshine 808 clones. They usually have lousy heatsinking, but are so underdriven that it's okay as is. They appear bright because most of the output is focused into a fairly tight hotspot. I'd ballpark them around 600 lumens typically. I have two, but have never actually used them on rides. They are generally "okay" if the beam pattern works for you.

The battery packs may be another story. No telling how safe the pack actually is, nor how good the cells are without tearing it apart. It's probably not a bomb wait to explode. Most important thing would be to check the charger that it's not going to overcharge the pack.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They are typical Magicshine 808 clones. They usually have lousy heatsinking, but are so underdriven that it's okay as is. They appear bright because most of the output is focused into a fairly tight hotspot. I'd ballpark them around 600 lumens typically. I have two, but have never actually used them on rides. They are generally "okay" if the beam pattern works for you.

The battery packs may be another story. No telling how safe the pack actually is, nor how good the cells are without tearing it apart. It's probably not a bomb wait to explode. Most important thing would be to check the charger that it's not going to overcharge the pack.

-Garry
    Yeah, the one that I have doesn't get very warm even running on "high". Maybe #2 will arrive in time for me to get a ride in before the weather turns to crap (I'm a fair weather rider and prefer 90 degrees over 40 degrees).

I'll report back on how they work together.

mtbr member
    I did some diffusion testing (using one of these 808 clones) back some time ago - posted over at BLF here. The testing wasn't that good (should be redone using my sphere and a proper luxmeter), but there are beamshots and such including mouse-overs. Just note that the "DC Fix Upper 1/3rd" photos aren't loading for some reason.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    Has anyone played around with one of these? I picked one up for $15 and it seems pretty dang bright (bright enough for street rides and slower trail rides).
    I bought a diffuser lens for two buck to give a wider beam, but it sacrifices too much projection.
    'Gonna buy a second light and use that one for the diffuser. All-in for both lights will be less than thirty bucks.

Of course I have nothing to compare it to, so it may be dim by "normal" standards.

Name:	LIGHT.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	1218965
    For a comparison of beam patterns. I have the "Bright Eyes" one in this video, although it's essentially identical to the one you bought optically wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vwl4W171L8

mtbr member
    TBH, I think you over-paid. And batteries are probably not worth s***. Sorry m8.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius9 View Post
    TBH, I think you over-paid. And batteries are probably not worth s***. Sorry m8.
    It's on its third season, so it ain't all bad.
    The next one will probably be pushing the odds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ok, tell me what you boozers think of this. It's somewhat a basic 3 led light head and you'd have to mod it w/ a good battery but the housing looks to have a lot of cooling fins and someone here might be able to mod this to be able to handle 2500-3000 real lumens in a fairly small light head for that kind of lumens. Take a look.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10000Lumen-...FWe:rk:53:pf:0

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Depends on internals. I'm not shure if there is any good thermal path. Driver is very likely the same as with "three clone" light. Dumb modes with 1-2-3 leds. I would be surprissed if there are real Cree leds. Anyway light is too small to handle heat for 3000 lumens. 2000 (before looses) is more likely.

Charger is declared as Power adapter not Li-ion charger. It might happen to have 12V output regardless of 8.4V declaration. I won't loose timew on battery pack, we know it...

For the price you won't loose much if you buy one and report us back

mtbr member
    I've got a few of those 3*XM-L's in my hands over the years, and the highest power input was 26.2W - the real lumen output won't be higher than 2000 lumens otf.

X83
    mtbr member
    May 2018
    Another XANES DL14 selfcontained USB rechargable el cheapo light. Looks prommising for commuting purposes. It might be good to mod it with better leds.

Name:	f4e84483-4893-4850-8c38-75274f285916.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	1217893

https://www.banggood.com/XANES-DL14-...p-1340528.html
    Here's another option for the self-contained USB rechargeable el cheapo lights with a more compact design. They seem work well for short commute trips with an internal 3.7V 1200mAH lithium polymer battery that should last for about 1.5-hours on the highest mode. They use two XML T6 LEDs combined with the 15-degree 20mm diameter lenses. They can be taken apart with some effort to change the lens angles, internal battery and LEDs if you choose to mod it. They have an IP65 waterproof rating with green o-ring seals inside and they're a good lightweight option for the weight weenies.

VASTFIRE XS-DT002
    WOSAWE BCD007

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-mo...40ec3c00119v21

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-ebe8fa3b-d505-447d-8c46-a8f53f728dd8.gif
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-htb1bzbzxsvrk1rjy0feq6atmvxam.jpg
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-htb1nurzxstxk1rjy0fgq6yovpxao.jpg

X83
    mtbr member
    May 2018
    Here are some more pictures and the internals of this model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-20181019_013519_001.jpg  

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-20181019_164000.jpg  

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-20181019_164322.jpg  

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-20181019_164633_001.jpg  

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-20181019_164949.jpg  

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-20181019_174502.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks X83. Leds are no way XM-L. They are to tiny. They looks in size of XP-E and of course are very likely not Creee.
    Can yo make close picture of leds and driver from the other side?

X83
    mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks X83. Leds are no way XM-L. They are to tiny. They looks in size of XP-E and of course are very likely not Creee.
    Can yo make close picture of leds and driver from the other side?
    I believe you're correct about the LEDs because they appear very tiny compared to the pics in your KD XM-L2 U2 thread pics. The website says they're XML T6 LEDs but you know how the Chinese never lie about their specifications.

I've purchased a couple of these lights on eBay and they have one model with the flat lenses that seems to have good beam pattern while the other has lenses with holes drilled in the center which doesn't seem to have the best beam pattern. I plan to change out the lenses for a wider 20 or 25-degree type or maybe the ribbed shape design to get rid of the bullseye effect hotspots. They seem to be using XPE type lenses with an 19.7mm outer diameter with an 11.7mm height.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-20181022_032446.jpg  

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-20181022_032527.jpg  

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-20181022_032627.jpg  

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-20181019_1928161.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, some chinese copy of XP-E leds I suspect. Tiny led is reason you have spotty beam. I agree you need wider angle TIR lenses. You can find some here: Reflector / Collimator Lens - CREE - LEDDNA

Driver looks direct drive with two R330 resistors in parallel regulating current over FET. Lowering resistance should make light brighter. But of course no point to do that if you have only tiny lipo battery.

X83
    mtbr member
    May 2018
    Yeah, some chinese copy of XP-E leds I suspect. Tiny led is reason you have spotty beam. I agree you need wider angle TIR lenses. You can find some here: Reflector / Collimator Lens - CREE - LEDDNA

Driver looks direct drive with two R330 resistors in parallel regulating current over FET. Lowering resistance should make light brighter. But of course no point to do that if you have only tiny lipo battery.
    After looking at the LEDs with an eye loupe they appear to be most similar to the XP-E R4 emitters which is a far cry from the XML T6 as advertised.

It would be nice if an external battery pack could be plugged into the back micro USB port when the light is in operation but the driver board automatically turns off the LEDs while its in the charging mode.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
    For a comparison of beam patterns. I have the "Bright Eyes" one in this video, although it's essentially identical to the one you bought optically wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vwl4W171L8
    Wow!
    Does such a wide/consistent pattern and strong illumination affect the riders in front of you at all?

mtbr member
    Do you guys actually use these Cheap-O lights on long rides on unfamiliar trails in the deep woods in the legit dark?

I'm just curious. Do you actually have faith in these things?
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, yes and no. I do have faith on "serviced" cheapo lights much more than on cheapo battery packs.

First: Carry at least two independed lights/battery combo - it raises reabilty of the system by 50%
    Second: Use good battery packs/cells with brand name cells like (LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sanyo, Sony)
    Third: Service all cheapo lights with thermal paste

Following those 3 steps would lead you to quite trustful lightning system. Of course paying more for quality system is no brainer at any time.

PS. I carry small 16340 cell based zooming flashlight with me all the time (even on daytime rides). I take it as a part of my bike since I've stayed without light for the first time back in time using early P7 MJ-808 MagicShine (it was battery problem, causing I'm doing all that lightening stuff).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    Do you guys actually use these Cheap-O lights on long rides on unfamiliar trails in the deep woods in the legit dark?

I'm just curious. Do you actually have faith in these things?
    I have faith in things that I have tested and know they work. My "cheapo" light is still going after years.
    Remember, cheap doesn't always mean "crap". "Expensive" doesn't always mean "good". QC is certainly better on more expensive stuff, but even the best things can fail.
    Being prepared for failure is the smart thing to do.

mtbr member
    Remember, cheap doesn't always mean "crap". "Expensive" doesn't always mean "good". QC is certainly better on more expensive stuff, but even the best things can fail.
    I agree wholeheartedly!

-Garry

Rod
    mtbr member
    I follow all of the above rules too and I've never had a failure yet.

2 independent lights bars and helmet.

Batteries from action led

Install go pro mount

Go ride

I normally use these in very cold temps so I haven't needed to install thermal paste like others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have faith in things that I have tested and know they work. My "cheapo" light is still going after years.
    I hear ya. Didn't mean to come across "brash" I guess. Was just genuinely curious with the luck folks have had in the back woods... hours into a long night-time epic. LOL.

Personally, I carry at least one extra battery in my pack... with my other stuff. I've legit gotten lost in the woods out here in OKC... and didn't get back to my pickup truck till almost 2:00am before. Knowing that my lights kept me going that long, even when it started raining (and everything got soaked)... was a good piece of mind.

Basically an overgrown trail led me in a completely wrong direction... that's the moral of the story. The good news is my lights kept going after hours and hours of wet, cold, and mud... and that is the piece of mind I meant.
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I hear ya. Didn't mean to come across "brash" I guess. Was just genuinely curious with the luck folks have had in the back woods... hours into a long night-time epic. LOL.

Personally, I carry at least one extra battery in my pack... with my other stuff. I've legit gotten lost in the woods out here in OKC... and didn't get back to my pickup truck till almost 2:00am before. Knowing that my lights kept me going that long, even when it started raining (and everything got soaked)... was a good piece of mind.

Basically an overgrown trail led me in a completely wrong direction... that's the moral of the story. The good news is my lights kept going after hours and hours of wet, cold, and mud... and that is the piece of mind I meant.
    I've mostly used magic shine and they're going 8 or 10 years later. Bt40 clone and some others that aren't so cheap. I dont think I would have enough battery for a ride lasting until 2 am ride but I'm in the middle of a remote national forest. I use these without hesitation. Like others said I test them before a super remote ride and sometimes I'll carry a backup too depending on the distance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member

What you chose to use as bike lights has a lot to do with what kind of riding you do or what you might plan to do. If you plan on riding epic rides ( more than 4 hrs ) then you definitely want your lamps and your batteries to be dependable. If you even think getting caught in the rain ( or getting lost ) is a possibility than you need dependable lights and batteries. If you even think you might run out of battery juice while on a ride you definitely need to do a run time test of your batteries before going out ( or carry a backup that you know will get you out of the woods in a pinch )

I've only ever gotten temporarily lost at night once but that was back in the days of halogen lights and NiMh batteries with only 2 hr. run time tops. Let me tell you that was some scary $#!T. Thank God I had a compass along because I had completely lost my sense of direction and I was in a very large wooded area that I was navigating with use of a map (with tons of side trails ). ( back then no GPS was yet available ) I learned a big lesson that night about not biting off more than I could chew.

Today with LED lamps and Li-ion batteries you have so much more you can do at night. Not to mention you also have GPS units or apps than can help you navigate. I don't do epic rides at night anymore ( age and health issues ) but if I did I'd use my best lights and newest batteries. Otherwise if you're only riding a couple hours at best in a park you know like the back of your hand almost any cheap light set is going to work. If you have two lamps and decent batteries ( or a back up torch or lamp ) you should be good to go. .

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Back in the early days of LED lights, I advised two friends to buy the Magicshine MJ808. Both eventually failed during rides. Both failed for exactly the same reason which was a poorly assembled driver board. I repaired both and based on that experience, I would never advise anyone to go out with a cheap Chinese light without first having opened it up and corrected any deficiencies. Poor thermal path or no thermal compound. Cold or questionable solder joints. Unsupported inductor. Poorly fitted or missing o-rings. And so on. If one does all that then the reliability factor is greatly improved.

mtbr member

Name:	LIGHT.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	1218965
    I got some custom 3.7v battery packs from Kaidomain, and they threw in 3 of these lights- something about the rules for shipping lights with batteries vs just batteries.

Nasty blue tint, tiny hotspot, only 2 modes plus flash.

Worth changing the LEDs to neutral XML2? Any other upgrade worth the bother, or do I give these away or toss Ďem out?

PS- KD got me the battery packs within a week!
    Last edited by Ofroad'bent; 10-26-2018 at 05:23 AM.

Rollin 29s

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018

Iíve always used cheap Chinese lights, starting with first generation Magicshine $89 lights, that you could buy for $19 a year later from DX.com. On those, I added thermal paste and had to replace parts on controller boards, etc.

My latest are these Amazon versions.

For the bars:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NHFT9S4..._TLH0BbY12Z60V

For the helmet:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JP8K80U..._XMH0BbJ2SVRH6

Iíve run the bar light for 1 year and the helmet light since 2015. No modifications, no disassembly and still using original batteries. Iíve never experienced lights failing, and I ride in the woods alone. I may be pushing my luck.

I ride 2 to 3 mornings a week in the dark for an hour each ride.

I think I can justify a better light at this point, though I canít complain given my luck with these cheap ones. I wonder what Iím missing. Is the light output, color, battery life and quality significantly better? It seems like Action LED batteries and maybe the Revtronic light might be a good next step?

Revtronic 1600 Lumens Bike Light - Cree LED Bike Lights - Mountain Bike Headlight Bundle with 5200mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack, AC Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1JC894..._OSH0Bb9DQG4A0

Or maybe a Glow worm?

I have no experience with anything over $100, but Iím ready to make the move toward a better product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    Iíve always used cheap Chinese lights, starting with first generation Magicshine $89 lights, that you could buy for $19 a year later from DX.com. On those, I added thermal paste and had to replace parts on controller boards, etc.
    Actually, DealExtreme has never dropped the price for original MJ-808 light: ~$20 were knock-off clones. Some of them were excellent, some inferior.

BTW, I'm still using two original ones bought in 2009: converted them to 808E when XML became available. Working fine (with new cables & batteries, of course) till today!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017

My latest are these Amazon versions.

For the bars:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NHFT9S4..._TLH0BbY12Z60V

For the helmet:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JP8K80U..._XMH0BbJ2SVRH6

Iíve run the bar light for 1 year and the helmet light since 2015. No modifications, no disassembly and still using original batteries. Iíve never experienced lights failing, and I ride in the woods alone. I may be pushing my luck.

I ride 2 to 3 mornings a week in the dark for an hour each ride.

I think I can justify a better light at this point, though I canít complain given my luck with these cheap ones. I wonder what Iím missing. Is the light output, color, battery life and quality significantly better? It seems like Action LED batteries and maybe the Revtronic light might be a good next step?

Revtronic 1600 Lumens Bike Light - Cree LED Bike Lights - Mountain Bike Headlight Bundle with 5200mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack, AC Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1JC894..._OSH0Bb9DQG4A0

Or maybe a Glow worm?

I have no experience with anything over $100, but Iím ready to make the move toward a better product.

you could check these out too if Your looking for good lights that arent too expensive:

www.rakclighting.com

Rollin 29s

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018

My mistake - I have the MS Clones- from DX. They were a notably better product than the original MS product.

This morning I paid more attention to my light beams, and after watching Outbound Lighting videos last night, I can truly say my lights suck in comparison. Not sure Iím ready to drop $450 (less $20 website coupon) on lights, but if one product clearly stands above the rest, Iíll spend some cash.

Those RAKC lights look like a decent mid-priced option. Iíll watch some videos to try to get a better feel for the light output and pattern.

- Lord Charles Beresford

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    There isnt much out there yet except in Europe. My video skills are not great but have a GoPro now to get video that represents output and beam better.

Pic is beam of Hyperion at full power for that idea

Rollin 29s
    There isnt much out there yet except in Europe. My video skills are not great but have a GoPro now to get video that represents output and beam better.

Pic is beam of Hyperion at full power for that idea

Just not finding enough out there, including reviews on RAKC. Iím shifting my focus (and budget) toward a higher end light like Gloworm or Outbound.

- Lord Charles Beresford

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    There is a lot on the lights over in Europe, we just brought them to the US last winter, thread titled "New Lights Coming"

We used to be a brand specific dealer, with RAKC Industries as the owner, till the Brand imploded. Now we stick to our company name.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ......including reviews on RAKC.
    RAKC's owner has been a long time customer for my GoPro adapters and mounts. He seems to be a "stand-up" guy. We cooperated some on helping out folks with broken mounts on their Ituo lights after they went out of business.

I don't know anything about the lights he is currently selling since I build my own for my use.

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    RAKC's owner has been a long time customer for my GoPro adapters and mounts. He seems to be a "stand-up" guy. We cooperated some on helping out folks with broken mounts on their Ituo lights after they went out of business.

I don't know anything about the lights he is currently selling since I build my own for my use.
    Thanks,

Yes he reached out to me via IM a couple of times and clarified some things. I have no doubts about his integrity, and wouldnít have any problem sending money for the lights, it comes down 100% to not knowing enough about the lights and not finding enough online about them at this point to feel comfortable choosing the product. Thereís a lot more out there to read and research with Gloworm, and Outbound, who is small and relatively new, but has a lot of media, YouTube, website and forum presence.

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Now we have got triple selfcontained bar light.
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-151851-5642.jpg
    https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashli...889627324.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's a showstopper.

mtbr member
    Yep, the dual version have mind-blowing 362 lumens , so we can expect over 500 lumens from the triple !!

Rod
    mtbr member
    Delete

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    deleated
    Last edited by snipes287; 11-15-2018 at 03:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think this is new but not sure. Check it out. My guess is it's cheap Chinese light but I could be wrong so anybody know about this. It's interesting if it's true advertising though I didn't see what type of cells, etc. Take a look.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...on-156942&mx=a

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Could be el cheapo, but hard to say. No real data on it and I've found two distinct weight info. Your link says "159g (197g including aluminium handlebar mount)" while HERE they say "273g (312g including aluminium handlebar mount)".
    Very likely it has 7 XP-G2 leds being so close the beam would be quite wide. Could have three 18650 or 18500 cells.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I think this is new but not sure. Check it out. My guess is it's cheap Chinese light but I could be wrong so anybody know about this. It's interesting if it's true advertising though I didn't see what type of cells, etc. Take a look.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...on-156942&mx=a
    This guy has already done a video review. Not too many tech details, but the beamshots don't look too shabby either...
    https://youtu.be/ySFs--Es55I

Gesendet von meinem Moto Z2 Play mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The price has gone down to 90 bucks now. Just an FYI.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...reation-156942

mtbr member
    OK, this isn't a new light and it definitely isn't a cheap-o but the newest deal is cheap for what you get and of course it is Chinese. Ituo Wiz1 for $41.95 @ Amazon ($49.95 - $8 discount code). 800 real lumens, 3 programmable preset levels in the main program, Gopro compatible, field changeable battery, 3 hr. runtime in high. Draw backs are larger than normal size and no U.S. based support network. Worth a look if your needs are for a longer running, mid powerful usb rechargeable self-contained bar light.
    Mole

https://www.amazon.com/ITUO-Headligh...eb_11069935011

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

KD BL2S Quick Ship!

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-33f52f07-3e32-4ea3-b1fc-154b31953230.jpg

So I ordered the KD BL2S XM L2 U3 in 4000K along with another of their 4-cell Panasonic flat packs plus a bunch of zip ties etc, selected Free Shipping Registered Airmail (NOT DHL) and it all arrived at my doorstep just two days later... curtesy DHL.

http://kaidomain.com/BL2s-2-x-Cree-X...ens-Bike-Light

http://kaidomain.com/S024761-KBP-186...n-Battery-Pack

Donít feel qualified to write a full fledged review but must say I think the color temperature is superb, so am posting some pics strictly to illustrate this ó frankly am too lazy to try capturing the throw (which isnít bad at all for such a small and inexpensive light, seems more powerful to me than either of my 4000K/5000K Yindings though of course shorter in range than Ituoís XP2 or Wiz20 .) Beam has nice soft spot but UI is not the best with Off included in the regular cycle and doesnít fade between modes (Flash and SOS activated through long press, thatís okay.) And although the power button is raised quite nicely from the case, sorta like on a SolarStorm, the stiff click switch within can be kinda recalcitrant. If depressed from an angle is possible to emit the clickety sound without actually advancing mode (but works fine when pushed straight down).

Anyway this little lamp comes with a generously long power cable which easily allows it to sit on the noggin while run from the KD 4-cell flat pack stashed in a chest pocket. Should note here, I ride a recumbent so my bikeís Jagwire Gold Medal cable housings reach pretty high up into my view, canít run any head lamp on High mode without being dazed by the reflection. Fortunately discovered that my frame mounted NiteFighter BL40S and Ituo Wiz XP2 and XP3 on the bars was all I needed for distance, so can run the BL2S on Low just to illuminate the cockpit and help see around close corners where my other lights would miss. For such short distances donít need a lot of lumens, would only create useless glare.

First three pics all shot from the lid on High mode

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-2c4c82b7-334a-4ee3-85b2-74e0243b951b.jpg

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-b23b120f-b36e-410f-a5a8-df189e5baa0b.jpg

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-c497d4d6-745a-445f-a860-b4f037774f96.jpg

Kitty on Low Mode
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-99a47513-2e76-4a81-9c5b-a0705741b6f5.jpg

Sorry but V-Bulletin has a mind of its own and rotated my first pic, swear I didnít post it that way am not quite that spaz!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice find!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks MK96 but I actually found out about the BL2S myself right here. Just that there wasnít a separate thread about it, seems to have appeared only in conjunction with the KD BL70S. Showed comparative beam shots but I didnít get a true appreciation of the XM L2 U3 4000K color bin until getting this baby into my own hot little hands. (Originally purchased the 3000K but it was too warm even for my perverted taste.)

Anyway tried to get some ďwallĒ shots to better illustrate what I perceive to be the natural quality of this light with its XM L2 U3 emitters. Unfortunately the mist grew terribly dense while I was out so didnít get quite the anticipated results.

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-ef9c9b51-4eec-4061-98ab-7a3c6aede48a.jpg

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-bef81155-d9f3-494f-97c6-6a64910ee05e.jpg

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-6db9301b-d4c5-40a5-bb66-a972b8612866.jpg

At least discovered I could run the KD as a head light on Medium or High by raising its angle so as to point just above the horizon when Iím seated on my Ďbent. Most of the light is wasted that way but at least itís available at a momentís notice, without laboring over the crappy mode button. Am still satisfied with Low mode for general purposes but itís certainly nice not to be limited.

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-e7ea0ec1-fca9-4411-87e2-995febcf0201.jpg
    Last edited by andychrist; 04-09-2019 at 03:02 PM.

mtbr member
    4200 actual lumen light with wireless remote for $75

Name:  MJ-908-1_large.png
Views: 644
Size:  191.7 KB

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...icshine-mj-908

900 actual lumen light with wireless remote for $33

Name:  MJ-902-1_large.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  11.7 KB

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...icshine-mj-902

Here's a couple of sweet deals I saw on the Action-LED-Lights sale that might interest anyone looking for a cheapo light without the risk of unknown performance/reliability/customer service.
    Use the discount code WAREHOUSE19 during checkout for 50% off the prices shown. (on website)

https://www.action-led-lights.com/collections/warehouse

Mole

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    This is strange. Magicshine lights is much more expensive then these.
    Maybe you can check their official website : www.magicshine. com.
    And MJ902 combo costs 120 usd !!!

I bought my ALLTY 1000 from them, which cost me 90 usd.

mtbr member
    The Kaidoman website shows a "full set" for the Kdlikter BL2S lights adding $23 to the price. Anyone know what's in it? It doesn't seem like enough for battery + charger, I thought it might be accessories. I tried to click the little info link, but it no clicky. I sent them an email form, just wondered if you all know first.

mtbr member
    ...they responded that it is indeed a battery pack and charger. They didn't provide any more details, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    ...they responded that it is indeed a battery pack and charger. They didn't provide any more details, though.
    The best way to have gone about this would of been to order the light separately, wait a day and then go to their website and order the best Panasonic battery pack they sell. I only suggest this because it's possible the battery might get delayed because of shipping restrictions. Since you ordered the complete set the entire order could possibly get delayed. Not to mention you might not get such a great battery when ordering the complete set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The best way to have gone about this would of been to order the light separately, wait a day and then go to their website and order the best Panasonic battery pack they sell. I only suggest this because it's possible the battery might get delayed because of shipping restrictions.
    Actually the last few times my Kaidomain orders have included batteries, the packages were sent to me DHL Express at no charge and arrived at my doorstep within just a couple of days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just ordered a KD BL70S (in 4000K, thanks for asking) and noticed under Mode Arrangement:

Lo > Med > Hi (Recycle)

Hidden Str: Double Click

On / Off : Long Pressed

Is this something new, didnít the BL70S originally include Off in the cycle or am I confusing it with their BL2S?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    Actually the last few times my Kaidomain orders have included batteries, the packages were sent to me DHL Express at no charge and arrived at my doorstep within just a couple of days.
    This is news to me. Used to be that if you ordered anything with a battery half the time the battery would get delayed or never received. If you ordered using DHL they used to charge you more. Nice that they sent yours using DHL at no extra cost. ( Been a Loooong time since I bought anything from KD ).

Edit; Maybe the stuff you ordered came from a USA warehouse. If it took only days that is what I am thinking because nothing coming from overseas can get to you in just a couple days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    My neighbor gave me his bl70. Itís decent love 4k. It has the strobe on the main cycle which really pisses me off. Tint trumps all, itís too warm for most folks.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Edit; Maybe the stuff you ordered came from a USA warehouse. If it took only days that is what I am thinking because nothing coming from overseas can get to you in just a couple days.
    That was my reaction too at first but when I checked the shipping log it showed that it had been despatched from HK. DHL really clears stuff through Customs in no time, dunno how they do it. Recently ordered some other bike related items from the UK which were shipped out immediately and DHL again got Ďem through Customs and onto their own vehicle same day it arrived in the States, was at my local PO for delivery next day. Makes my head spin!

But my monthly CC statement just came in and now I donít feel too good...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    It has the strobe on the main cycle which really pisses me off.
    Oh then I guess KD did change the UI from the original because apparently now Strobe and Off are both hidden (by Double Click and Long Press).

Thanks DR now I donít feel like such an idiot (still am an idiot, just donít feel like one, to be clear.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Andy, if you would open it for some reason, please take macro pictures of driver on both side. I'm wondering how it looks.

User interface looks quite similar to the KD2. Try to see if it has programing interface like KD2 using very long press (8-10 seconds) when the light is on. If yes status led should blink in yellow color.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well ledoman I just recently ordered it and with everything going on in HK right now havenít any idea when it might be shipped. But thereís no mention on Kaidomainís web page about it being programmable and of course the shape is very different from that of the KD2, would the same driver board even fit into it? Had only planned to open the front in order to swap out the glass if possible for a couple of Action-LED Lightís Wide Angle Lenses ó when layered at 90ļ from each other they create a terrific square beam without rings or color separation (and which oriented 45ļ delivers a diamond shape). Do you know, can I just pop out the OP reflector to access the board or would I have to open the tail cap?

Thanks for getting Kaidomain to update the UI ledoman. Now if theyíd just do the same with the BL2S, would make a much improved helmet light (as Iím currently using my 4000K model).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think it's easy to see it from back side. See disc around mode button.

I've seen bigger round driver with those KD2 modes long time before KD2 was created. It was actually offered on DX.com. Will add link if it still exist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Okay ledoman Iíll let you know when I get it. Still just processing, hasnít shipped.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    hi,
    I have last year asked Kaidomain why they not offer there Bike lights in alot Temperatur ranges like there flashlights to stay over any other company and they add it.

not only ugly 6000K bluelight like cheap chinese stuff.

free decision.

on that way you get for ~15Ä a 4000K natural looking, night vision increased Light and not selfblinding bluepeak junk"+6000K" what other company offers.

big thx to KD again for that step.

i think in my light mod thread i show to swapp the basic 20mm lenses to increase the Beam quality to.

one of the Spot lenses must be removed, and be changed to a TIR wide beam or Rippel one.
    This one gives good results.

I have there post alot of pic so need to search a little bit.
    You will find there to, KD2 mod with change the 2x XM-L to 2x XHP50 LED + driver change= 4000 Lumens putput.
    and alot other stuff, feel free to check my pics for fun.

The basic KD2 in 4000K have a much higher value in use then anythink other like gloworm .......s

some lumen + or - never was anythink what makes a big difference.

the chinese light what brings me most fun was the Xanes XL03.
    a 30x30mm 50 gram Aluminium light.
    i upgrade that tiny 7$ light to a 2000 Lumen 4000K trail light beast, find that in my link to.

at the beninning you see how i make from an 4Ä chinese street light a fantastic 2000 Lumen one.
    only use the 18mm x 15mm Street reflektor, the other parts junk.

mtbr member
    I made an order too, didn't even think about the protests before clicking the checkout button and then coming back here to report in. If they can't come through I'll get one of those constant-output Cygolites mentioned in the other thread. I have a Metro 300-ish and it feels reassuringly familiar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    This one seems to be new:
    http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...ight?limit=100
    Hard to google due to lack of brand/model. Has anyone tested it?

Also BL2s now has button on the top, so shell is different. I'm thinking about buying one and replacing driver to be able to drive it with 3.7 cell only.

mtbr member
    No word from Kaidomain since the order confirmation a week ago. Considering HK is in a meltdown I'd like to give them the benefit of patience but how much?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No thatís not new at all Eneen but is apparently a very well made lamp, from the thread about it on this forum. Note that it runs cool white LEDs and has OP reflectors rather than TIR lenses plus is comparatively heavy. And the BL2S has always had the button on top, you must be thinking of the KD2.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I know this bike light under other name - see: https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+light+Jexree

It is pretty heavy for helmet use, but no problem on bar. My friend likes it since it has glowing outer circles so he can save enery when needed. I've managed to change central leds for him from some chinese cool white to 5000K LG LH351D (CRI 90), but I needed to cut off central PCB and replace it with thin 16mm for 3535 led size. It got nice neutral white light. Driver is very messy and it is better to leave it in place. Also outer silver rings are plastic so front cooling fins are useless and only rear part is really cooling. Because of its weight it's just about enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    @andychrist: yes, I meant KD2, sorry. I've treated BL2s as new version of KD2
    @ledoman: thank you! So KD2s is way to go, cheaper, easier to upgrade and light enough for helmet. What lens diameter does it use? What lenses have you tried with it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, KD2 has better user interface, but BL2S has better thermal transfer. Drivers are different, but lenses and LED PCBs are the same. Lenses are 20mm diameter (21mm with holder). YOu can get them here: Reflector / Collimator Lens - CREE - LEDDNA (the XM-L ones). Depending in preferences you can use two 10deg or kombination 10+25 deg for wider beam. If you have bar light with wider beam I would use two of 10deg. Stock lenses are about 15 deg.

Both lights are not really waterproof but good enough for some light rain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Also Eneen, BL2S uses XM L2 U3 LEDs. Everyone seems to really like the 4000K; it is warm without being yellow.
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-84dda87b-e807-4b03-a61e-9b3ce44f0b87.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    This 4000K may indeed be really great.
    Driver seems to use PWM, what chip is used by driver? Maybe it can be re-programmed to have turn-off on long press...
    I've got old litemania scolo with mechanical switch, just low-off-high, perfect UI.

mtbr member
    No word from Kaidomain since the order confirmation a week ago. Considering HK is in a meltdown I'd like to give them the benefit of patience but how much?
    New reply this morning: ďThe bike light is being installed and tested, it will be shipped in this week.ď

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    User interface looks quite similar to the KD2. Try to see if it has programing interface like KD2 using very long press (8-10 seconds) when the light is on. If yes status led should blink in yellow color.
    ledoman I just received the BL70S and long press simply turns the lamp off, no matter how long itís held down.

On the plus side, from indoor testing alone (because it is day now) the light doesnít seem to have any noticeable color separation/rings. Canít say for sure though until night falls because such effects can be subtle and difficult to detect until it is pitch dark out.

Wow this thing is as heavy as it is bright.

And the power cord is long enough to strangle a cat. Uhm, not talking about you, Sylvester. Good kitty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks Andy. Not to bad, it's still good to have Off mode out of mode cycle which is same as KD2 (except level programming). Good to know and kudo to KD for that. It is feature all MTB lights should have, IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's listed at 3000 lumens. What do you think the actual is. 36 bucks plus another 34 for the 6800 battery is not too bad as long as it's durable and maybe 2k lumens not a bad deal. Wonder if it's even close to the 3k tho as advertised.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    @mb323323 Well if you want the 4000K (recommended) thatís $1.99 extra so $38.79. I think itís worth it, this thing is BRIGHT. Have no way of knowing how much it puts out but Cree lists the max of the XHP70.2 at 4292 lm, so what with the general underpowerment of KD lights 3000 sounds pretty reasonable to me.

But I wouldnít order Kaidomainís Panasonic packs if you bike in cold weather because their Magicshine style waterproof ďpopĒconnectors have problems under such conditions ó you wont be able to separate the battery and lamp cables at the end of a ride. Fiddling with them stresses both the connectors themselves as well as the solder joints on the packs, which will soon cease to function (happened to all four of mine.) Better idea is to purchase a set or two of Panasonics, Sanyos or LGs from FastTech or the like and a TrustFire 6-cell power bank from KD ó it comes with the screw style connector which is still compatible with the Magicshine style socket on the BT70S but will not freeze to it. http://kaidomain.com/S027968-TrustFi...bile-Power-Box

When itís dark tonight Iíll compare the BL70S to the Ituo XP3. Know they have very different beam patterns but theyíre the closest I have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Okay Kaidomainís BL70S blows away Ituoís XP3. Not only is it brighter and floodier but the color temperature of the 4000K model is just sensational. Makes both fallen brown leaves and fresh grass glow like lit up from within. No discernible ring effect even with its orange peel reflector. Perhaps could use a better mount because the power button is a bit difficult to press and the lamp is so heavy. No idea yet what runtime might be on the various modes when run from a TrustFire 6-cell of 3400mAh Pannies. Too tired now to keep riding until the indicator turns red, been a long day. But so far this is definitely the best bar lamp Iíve ever had, canít imagine needing anything more powerful.

Kaidomain BT70S Hi Mode by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Thanks again to ledoman for getting KD to upgrade the UI so that it no longer cycles through Off!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, the BL70 is a solid light, especially for the price. If I could make a premium version, it'd have a better mount like you want too, and a three button (up/down/off) remote switch. A commuter version with a movable cutoff would be nice too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing all your info and pics Andy!

-Garry

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Did you purposely aim it down in that pic? The amount of light on the front tire and the huge tire shadow seems like it was aimed very low. Is this a pic from an "unconventional" MTB maybe?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Did you purposely aim it down in that pic? The amount of light on the front tire and the huge tire shadow seems like it was aimed very low. Is this a pic from an "unconventional" MTB maybe?
    Yeah the BL70S was mounted to the lower member of the RANS chopper bar on my Stratus XP recumbent bike, which I have set up with mtb wheels and drive train. Since then have forced the lamp between the cable housings onto the upper cross bar, where it shouldnít spill as much light onto the front tire.

RANS Stratus XP New KDLITKER BL70S XHP70.2 by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Also, took the pic in my back yard rather on the trail, didnít have a lot of space in which to capture the entire beam. So chose to aim more towards the ground with its mix of greens and browns in order to show off the 4000K NW lightís wide color spectrum which would not have been so obvious up in the tree top.

When I get the chance will try to take more illuminating pics from a canopied trail, if the winds havenít already blown most of the leaves off. Autumn is having quite an early go here this year!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Who is looking for a great little helmet light.

Sofirn ad to the basic SP40 nicer color tints now.
    3000K or 4000K

with the code: M226
    you get adittional discount.

18$ for a quality lightweight helmet light with nice color temperatur.

I Bought a 4000 kelvin one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostplaces View Post

3000K or 4000K

I have to admit even the skeptical Mole thinks that one may be good for helmet use. I watched a few videos on it and beam looks good + reviewers seem universally impressed with its performance and value.
    Mole

***Any suggestions for a suitable mount for helmet use?***

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lostplaces View Post

3000K or 4000K

Link?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    sorry forget to post a link.

SP40 with 4000K"helmet" + KD2 with 4000K"on the bike" will be a great Nightride setup.

Low glare and selfblinding+ higher Color rendering+ higher contrasts then the basic 6000K lights.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thx Andy for the info on that light. Sounds like I should have one. Not that I need it. LOL

I'm in Coastal Calif so I won't be riding in anything below about 50 degrees, maybe 45 coldest so I'm assuming their battery set up will be ok. Just makes it easier to buy it all at once and be ready to go when it gets here.

Does the quality seem ok. Wires decent etc. How long do they usually take to deliver and do you think there will be an issue delivering the battery.

Thx again!

MB

mtbr member
    BTW, I just ordered an SP40 in 4000k. I can offer up info on it if anyone wants it. It does sound like it's a limited production run. Oh, and there are coupon codes for the light if you google around.

-Garry

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have the same question as Mole, how do you mount it? I've tried using that style of light on a hard hat, its just too front heavy.

I'd also be concerned about having too many modes to accidentally get into at the wrong time, the button might be too sensitive for mode changes while bouncing down the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    ~ 100 gramms of this helmet lights i dont find to front heavy.
    set it more in the middle like cat-me do it.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...l#post13817590

The basic silicone holder is ok, but it need some seconds to put a light in

the better one is the fast click mount from Armytek, any 18650 light snaps in with a move. it cost ~3$

if you not like holders, simple a rubber ring.
    https://i.imgur.com/Dd9a0zi.jpg

and yes the UI is not the best for bike use from the Sofirn, hold the button to cycle between modes, but 17$ for this type of lights is crazy low.......
    some years ago there was no way to get this type of helmet lights for under 50$.

on any light mounted on the helmet it is a pain to jump between to much settings what u not need.
    you are 100% right, thats why i like programable lights so much.

The Zebra what i use mainly i set to 2 modes, low and high, ~200 and ~600 Lumen and jump between them with a easy to do double click.
    but a Zebra cost 90$.

totally in the front i never mount my helmet light like he does it.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...l#post13452243

The fast growing chinese company Sofirn offers alot very high quality made lights for crazy low prizes so the little downside for a basic UI is not the big problem.

I own at moment 2 lights from this company and the SP40 will be number 3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-img_20190908_185023.jpg  

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-img_20190908_190521.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Does the quality seem ok. Wires decent etc. How long do they usually take to deliver and do you think there will be an issue delivering the battery.
    MB
    Well the power cables are the same standard Magicshine type found on most bike lamps and battery packs that donít use screw connectors or USB. Canít speak for longevity of course because only just got it, but as long as youíre not riding in freezing temperatures you shouldnít have any problems.

It took a while for mine to ship, probably because of the situation in HK at the time. But I put in another order with them less than a week ago and just received a tracking number that shows it in transit already. Also the last couple of times my orders included battery packs, all the items were shipped together DHL Express at no charge to me and arrived in just a couple of days, before Kaidomain even posted any tracking info ó boy was I surprised! Of course canít guarantee youíll have the same experience because KD doesnít publish such details but seems they are expediting orders again, even though the turmoil there is not over.

BTW I found their BL2S pairs really well with the BT70S, has a more narrowly focused beam great for helmet use and the 4000K matches perfectly. Quite an overachiever for its size, although it does still cycle through Off (obviously not such a big deal when youíre running another lamp concurrently.)

Hope you have a blast riding the coast at night, MB. Iím insanely jealous.

mtbr member
    Re KDLIKTER BL2s from Kaidomain.

I ordered it ($16) with the accessory set ($23) on 8/31. I got a shipping notification from Kaidomain on the 19th, for which I forgive them, things must be strained in HK. It arrived today 9/28. If there were any problems with the shipping I wasn't made aware of them.

The light is a dinky thing, a size smaller than I expected. It seems solid and well made. Weighs at 79 grams with cord and connector. There'd be no trouble using it for a helmet light with the pack in a pocket. I'm not worried about whether it will shift on the handlebar. It had two rubber bands in different lengths, which are pretty thick. They're injection molded with a tag to pull them taut. The cord is about two feet long and the battery cord is about one foot so the battery and light could either go anywhere on the bike or body. I think I'll try it first with the battery at the bottom of my frame bag. I had originally thought to put it at the front corner of the bag but now that I've got the thing I see there's no reason to do that. I strapped it to my handlebar and the curve in the is not big enough for 31.8. But the rubber pad is big enough. The rubber band hook on the back of the light interferes a little with the rubber band on installation but it's of no consequence, because once under tension the strap is pulled out of the way.

The accessory pack includes a battery, charger, battery strap, and a head lamp harness which could be turned into a helmet mount with a change of straps. I don't know from batteries but it was a hefty thing, much bigger than the light! Half a pound. The battery box is obvs four cell and has seals at either end. It has a connector which envelops and seals the connector on the light. The gaskets on either end will also keep it from shifting around in the bag. The charger is 8.4V 1A. It's got screws at either end but I didn't undo them.

I compared the beam to my Cygolite Metro 300 and it's obviously brighter even at the lowest setting. Much whiter beam too. I got the 3-speed version. I didn't try the blink modes.

I don't know when I'll actually use this thing - maybe not til DST ends in six weeks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Much whiter beam too.
    Which color temperature did you order?

mtbr member

The Cygolite is very blue next to it

mtbr member
    The indicator LED on the light stays lit even when the light is off. Shouldn't it be open circuit when not in use?

mtbr member
    Shown next to the Cygolite
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-43534e99_0658_4159_a1bc_7183e822f851_5e08852891451a385f63fdc578e7a0adc5e136b3.jpg  

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-c9c5af71_003c_4f74_b64b_8ba83e788742_64071f73c3c47f7502efb81f0ade169da60e4534.jpg  

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-bc2a1561_5a57_4c5c_92b7_4839532c33c1_c4ca75f3d76da49f5de7fd73802f56ec5c40a12e.jpg  

mtbr member
    BTW, I just ordered an SP40 in 4000k. I can offer up info on it if anyone wants it. It does sound like it's a limited production run. Oh, and there are coupon codes for the light if you google around.

-Garry
    Yeah, I'm interested in one of these. I use and love my zebralight very often for camping to mountaineering to caving to you name it. A cheaper high performing backup and loaner would be great. Any other info on this thing?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Yeah, I'm interested in one of these. I use and love my zebralight very often for camping to mountaineering to caving to you name it. A cheaper high performing backup and loaner would be great. Any other info on this thing?
    I found several video's on youtube and a few reviews by just doing a search online. I'm curious how the tint options end up working out. Reviews I saw were all the 5300 tint and there were a lot of comments on how warm the light appeared. Since I'm interested in testing the viability of using this as a bike helmet light (4500-6500 is the range of my current lights) I ordered the 5300 version. Just have to wait till I receive it and I'll report back on how it fits in with my current lights.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Any reason I can't buy just the light head BL70 and use my Ituo XP3 battery.

What's the actual lumen count on the BL2. Curious.

100% recycled
    Im looking for something cheap yet effective for a commuting bike, but some of the models in these threads like the BT40s arent available anymore - whats out there?

Cheap as in it gets hard mounted to the bike but matters less if it gets stolen.

I currently have a set of Dinotte 400 front and rear lights, and Dinotte 200 front and 140 rear but want to save them for other bikes (or convert the AA battery pack into something rechargeable).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Any reason I can't buy just the light head BL70 and use my Ituo XP3 battery.

What's the actual lumen count on the BL2. Curious.
    Your Ituo battery pack will be perfectly compatible with either KDLITKER lamp.

Dunno the actual lumens on the BL2S but the 4000K is noticeably brighter and whiter than my Yindings, better color than my Ituos too. Pretty amazing for such a small and inexpensive bike lamp, liked mine enough to order another.

mtbr member

-Garry
    Tracking on my light shows it to be at the local USPS location already so possibly could get it tomorrow or Monday. Sooo much quicker than I expected!!
    Mole

mtbr member

Sp40

SP40 arrived today!!! I made a mount with an old band style helmet mount and a stretchy Gloworm strap. Definitely will work well enough to try the light out. 5300K Tint seem to match my NW Ituo Wiz20 the best so will try it out with that light tonight. Dinner first!!!
    Mole

New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-011.jpg

mtbr member

SP40 arrived today!!! I made a mount with an old band style helmet mount and a stretchy Gloworm strap. Definitely will work well enough to try the light out. 5300K Tint seem to match my NW Ituo Wiz20 the best so will try it out with that light tonight. Dinner first!!!
    Mole

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	1284415
    How'd it do?
    I'll be buying one of these (or not) based on your review.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    How'd it do?
    I'll be buying one of these (or not) based on your review.
    As far as the initial ride the light worked great. Beam is nice mix of hot spot and spill + throw seems to be quite good. Running mostly in the high mode (500 lumen) + brief periods of turbo had no problems with overheating. Definitely have more testing I want to do before recommending going this route though. Will have trouble getting very accurate lumen estimates because spill area is very large but max lux numbers (throw measurement) won't be affected. Also want to chart lux drop vs. runtime to see if airflow will affect stable lumen output amounts and runtimes of course.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Sorry, I wasn't getting notifications on thread updates for some reason. Glad you got yours Mole and waiting to hear more impressions!

One thing that bothers me is this runtime graph posted in the review over at BLF: Sofirn SP40 Headlamp | BudgetLightForum.com . It shows output continually drop, unlike other lights of theirs that have more steady output. Your only 500 lumens or more during the first 20 mins. I'd rather have seen it hold at least 500 lumens for an hour to an hour and a half. I'm rethinking the Skilhunt H03 (reflector version) now, but I don't think it has as much throw as this SP40.

My 4000k still hasn't shipped from China!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sorry, I wasn't getting notifications on thread updates for some reason. Glad you got yours Mole and waiting to hear more impressions!

One thing that bothers me is this runtime graph posted in the review over at BLF: Sofirn SP40 Headlamp | BudgetLightForum.com . It shows output continually drop, unlike other lights of theirs that have more steady output. Your only 500 lumens or more during the first 20 mins. I'd rather have seen it hold at least 500 lumens for an hour to an hour and a half. I'm rethinking the Skilhunt H03 (reflector version) now, but I don't think it has as much throw as this SP40.

-Garry
    Well I got to do some light meter testing which I'm sure you'll find interesting. Max lux numbers were less than I would have guessed from my ride observations, a little bit less than a Yinding but definitely adequate for a helmet light. Broad spread of the spill on this light made my bounce test method inaccurate so I just calibrated my max @ turn on numbers to the output chart on the BLF so lots of room for error here and my results should be viewed with all that in mind. On thing it does show for sure is that the testing on the BLF was almost certainly done with no air flow as there was no big drop of output within a couple of minutes and the light reacted more or less like a typical self-contained bike light. I had to stop the test at 75 minutes because the area I use to test is not completely sealed from outside light (sunrise) but still was putting out more than 500 lumens if the error factor in my testing wasn't too great. Hope your light comes soon!
    Mole

Black line = SP40.........***Click image to expand***
    New cheap-o Chinese LED bike lights 2018-sp10-vs-lumina-1200-boost.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

-Garry
    I have same luck, my SP 4000K is in back order......
    i hope they get it next week.

I order 2 adittionals SD05 from Sofirn to an they jump to on back order.....

no luck.

@MRMOLE

the SP40 is Temp regulated, i think ~500-600 Lumen for ~100 minutes is a Realistic falue in use with a little bit airflow.

thx for measuring.

it will perform better on the output side then the 140$ Outbound much more bulky light in the other thread.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mole! Yeah, I would have guessed the BLF test would be done without any additional cooling (that would be typical). So it's still dropping output quite a bit from max during that first +/-30 minutes. At least 1hr 15mins above +/- 500 lumen still seams respectable though. I just don't know that I would replace my current helmet light setup with this full-time. Regardless of bike lighting use, I always like a good budget headlamp!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Thanks Mole! Yeah, I would have guessed the BLF test would be done without any additional cooling (that would be typical). So it's still dropping output quite a bit from max during that first +/-30 minutes. At least 1hr 15mins above +/- 500 lumen still seams respectable though. I just don't know that I would replace my current helmet light setup with this full-time. Regardless of bike lighting use, I always like a good budget headlamp!

-Garry
    This was an easy to justify light for me since I have no actual flashlights and can multipurpose it. It's definitely usable as a helmet light! I'm curious how much longer it would have run in turbo mode and if air flow will help it maintain output better in the high mode. Will eventually do those tests (under more controlled conditions) to find out.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    IMO the SP40 would be a better light if they dropped the high mode to ~750-800 lumen. That would give the battery a break and let the light stay in that range through the bulk of the runtime. All these folks are chasing that high peak, unsustainable, output for ad purposes and taking too much power up front from the battery.

mtbr member
    IMO the SP40 would be a better light if they dropped the high mode to ~750-800 lumen. That would give the battery a break and let the light stay in that range through the bulk of the runtime. All these folks are chasing that high peak, unsustainable, output for ad purposes and taking too much power up front from the battery.
    .....Or just add another preset mode in the 750-800 (bike appropriate) lumen range that would make it a better bike light and not hurt its functionality as a flashlight.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I'd agree 100%. Gimmie a mode with the most output for 1.5-2 hours. Otherwise the light has no utility to me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    .....Or just add another preset mode in the 750-800 (bike appropriate) lumen range that would make it a better bike light and not hurt its functionality as a flashlight.
    Mole
    Yes, that would work as long as it is easy to go through the levels. I do have a hard time imagining needing more than 700-800 lumen for flashlight use though other than willy waggling about how many lumen ones flashlight has.

For bike use the mode arrangement that most flashlights have would keep me from using one as a bike helmet or bar light. Anything that cycles through a flash or off with normal switch clicks is a deal breaker for me. High and low in the "normal rotation". An extra low level for map reading, repairs, or rest breaks and a flashing mode only accessed by a special switch actuation are my preference.

mtbr member
    Well the flashlight enthusiasts (i.e. "flashaholics") are almost always pushing for max output - their not looking for "sustainable output". These are the ones driving the sales. It's two different worlds MTBR & BLF. They also generally hate the "long press for off" drivers.

I'm itching to try that Sofirn SD05 XHP50.2 as well (with that discount code from lostplaces in another thread). I don't have any 21700 cells (or appropriate charger) yet, so that'll lead to even more spending!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just ordered the BL70. Didn't receive an email conf and all I received after ordering was a message stating the following.

YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN PLACED!
    Thank you for your ordering. Your order has been successfully processed!

Please direct any questions you have to the kaidomain.com KD.

Thank you for shopping with us!

I've never ordered from KD so hopefully this is just how they work. Any input would be helpful.

Thx

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well the flashlight enthusiasts (i.e. "flashaholics") are almost always pushing for max output - their not looking for "sustainable output"........
    Hence my comment about having those high peak values only good for weinie waving.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

I'm itching to try that Sofirn SD05 XHP50.2 as well (with that discount code from lostplaces in another thread). I don't have any 21700 cells (or appropriate charger) yet, so that'll lead to even more spending!

-Garry
    basic 18650 work to.
    only for longer runtimes 21700 are the way to go.

i have switch LED to 4000K one, that is easy to do.

i used a basic 20mm LED board from kaidomain.
    only a soldering iron is neeedet to solder the + and - wires.

now i love this great light more.

Well the flashlight enthusiasts (i.e. "flashaholics") are almost always pushing for max output - their not looking for "sustainable output".
    not only flashys.
    Alot companys use it for pure marketing.
    for example take lupine a german bike light company.

they realeased now the lupine piko 1900 lumen.
    after you switch it on it overheat now faster then previous modells and will be regulated down from the temp reguation to ~1000 lumen.

the light befor was the piko 1800 lumen., same game , after 3 minutes down to 1000 lumen real output use.

befor the piko 1500 lumen......
    Piko 1200.....

all of them the same ~1000 lumen real output light, but the newer modells only overheat faster.

and if you reduze it to the only relevant points its a overprized Yingding, same output, beam, battery consumtion.

and yes there are real dragsters for flasoholics to like for example the Emisar D4, ist ultratiny but can put out ~4000 Lumens, but only for ~30 seconds.

after that the temp regulation put it to the real amount of heat what this tiny toy can handle ~1000 lumen constant output.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Where did everyone else get there sofirn sp40 from? I ordered mine from bangood last week and it hasn't shipped out yet.

mtbr member
    Well I got to do some light meter testing which I'm sure you'll find interesting. Max lux numbers were less than I would have guessed from my ride observations, a little bit less than a Yinding but definitely adequate for a helmet light. Broad spread of the spill on this light made my bounce test method inaccurate so I just calibrated my max @ turn on numbers to the output chart on the BLF so lots of room for error here and my results should be viewed with all that in mind. On thing it does show for sure is that the testing on the BLF was almost certainly done with no air flow as there was no big drop of output within a couple of minutes and the light reacted more or less like a typical self-contained bike light. I had to stop the test at 75 minutes because the area I use to test is not completely sealed from outside light (sunrise) but still was putting out more than 500 lumens if the error factor in my testing wasn't too great. Hope your light comes soon!
    Mole

Black line = SP40.........***Click image to expand***

Name:	SP10 vs lumina 1200 boost.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	1285059
    Time to update this as I got a chance to redo this using 250 lumens as the floor limit. So light continued to produce a little over 500 lumens till 90 min. where it gradually descended to just below my 250 limit @ 2 hrs. I would have preferred a more stable output for say 90 min. but to be honest I'm happy it didn't do the 3 min. dive to 500 lumens like the still air test on the BLF as it's still useable (IMO) for bike helmet use the way it is. I'm not going to do a new chart yet because I want to add results from the Hi mode when I get that done. Will get to that as soon as I can!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Well the flashlight enthusiasts (i.e. "flashaholics") are almost always pushing for max output - their not looking for "sustainable output". These are the ones driving the sales. It's two different worlds MTBR & BLF. They also generally hate the "long press for off" drivers.

-Garry
    I agree but if you've been a collector of various torches you already know this. This is why is really helps to have a torch with good heat sinking qualities. Also helps if there is a good UI that has a good mode that will give a steady output and still be bright enough to use as a helmet lamp while MTB'n.

It will be interesting to see how the Fireflies E01 I just got works in this regard. At least with the E01 it has the ramping UI which lets the user decide just how much output they want to use. I can also reprogram the thermal regulation if that becomes necessary ( which in case of the E01 I have a feeling I will probably have to do since it seems to get so hot ) That said in all likely hood doing that might only give a couple more minutes of higher output. Still waiting for my first outdoor test.

mtbr member
    It took a few weeks but the battery indicator light on my BL2S ran down the battery. Irritating. Why isn't it open circuit when it's off?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It can't be off since it has momentary (electronic) switch and all bicycle lights has it same. Only reverse click (mechanical) switch like in torches has complete off state.

mtbr member
    Then I want some way to turn that indicator off or not have it. My Cygolite doesn't run down in two weeks of just sitting

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Can't you just simply disconect the battery as everyone else?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast