New Battery Solution for Bike Lights - Fuel Cell Generator- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New Battery Solution for Bike Lights - Fuel Cell Generator

Came across this article and immediately thought about how cool it would be to use this power source for bike lights. Carry a small fuel cannister in your pack if needed and have lights that work for many nights in a row and save weight compared to batteries. Very cool product and no, I am not affiliated in any way with this company.

Kraftwerk Is A Power Plant That Fits In The Palm Of Your Hand | TechCrunch

mtbr member
    After reading the article I couldn't help but notice that no technical information was included. It helps to know how much current ( amps ) such a device can output. My understanding is that this device is designed to "charge" small devices such as mobile phones. As such you still need batteries. The device itself can probably only supply enough juice to charge the smaller 5Volt devices. No doubt if plugged into a fully charged device it could help extend the the run time of the device while being used. That would be real nice. The people who are into "remote" touring where grid power is not readily available will love this device. Not sure it can charge something with a higher voltage though. Now if they make a device the same size that can charge a device using 12-8.4 volts....they are going to make some money.

For people who also do the longer "All night" unsupported type rides and don't like dealing with a dynamo this device might offer some help. Kaidomain does make a couple lamps that function using 4.2 volt batteries. With a fully charged battery and one of these fuel cells in parallel, if you limit the output of lamp ( and have a battery with the appropriate capacity ) you "might" be able to run the lamp all night without depleting the battery. Then again having a spare battery would likely work the same way and take up the same space and weight.

Still, if you owned one of these and had a 4.2 volt lamp/battery you have the potential to do unsupported night rides for days on end and personally...I like that idea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No idea on the tech specs, but the video does show someone travelling to a different country and using this device to power their computer for the trip to replace using converters in different countries.

I don't know power differences between a phone, a computer, and lights, but it is made to be able to power a laptop computer. If you could have one device like this to power all lights and have the capacity to run for many, many hours, it would be a great product.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    After reading the article I couldn't help but notice that no technical information was included. It helps to know how much current ( amps ) such a device can output.
    On company's press-kit and KS page, power output of 2 watt is noted (with peak up to 10w). But as for bike lightning/outdoor use, there's another problem in addition to insufficient power and voltage: protection from water. You can't seal this device, as it needs "to breathe" - and I'm not sure it will withstand humidity and rain...