NEW: 2s2p battery case available from KD- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

NEW: 2s2p battery case available from KD

Hi folks, just wanted to share some information regarding a new battery case which has become available for 17.59 through kaidomain.com

This includes cells that were tested by a couple of us and actually met rated capacity of 2100mah so that may be an added bonus for some. It is usable as is or replace with your choice of 18650's

A couple of us have had the fortune of receiving this with the Mudder version of the KD2, which was available for a short time on Amazon. While the battery pack has stickers covering the screws, it turned out that it used replaceable cells in a spring loaded case

The design is pretty simple with an aluminum center and ABS? Endcaps and seems to be pretty durable. The protection circuits all checked out and appear to be identical to the ones that come with the KD mj880 clone. Power is provided through a female port on the top so it is well suited to lights with longer cords like many of the Chinese clones, or you may want an extension cable.

Details on it are somewhat scattered but it was mentioned in the kd2 thread. One user (tigris99) also modded it with a second output via short female MS style cord, which would work well for those looking to run a tail or 2 smaller bar lights

Without further ado:

https://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S024040

mtbr member
    If I remember correctly, this case isn't suited for frequent removal of cells, right? Protection has been verified to work for over-discharge and over-charging? What are the cut-off levels?

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It has potential for stripped screws, especially the original ones. I found screws with the same thread and pitch but with a larger head that use a #1 phillips and they seem much better with that taken care of. It's been a while and I believe that overcharge was around 8.45v and over discharge was around 5.6x, this was only on one so I'll probably run through all three at some point to compare for consistency

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Another thing to test would be for "bump continuity". My first battery holder had spring contacts that were not stiff enough to keep the batteries in contact with the opposite terminal when hitting a sharp bump.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well I had a quick ride with it and the only problem that I seemed to have was that it's not all that hard to pull the cord out of the plug. Bumps don't seem to be an issue though. I'm sure there's an easy fix to secure it but it's worth noting

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    Well I had a quick ride with it and the only problem that I seemed to have was that it's not all that hard to pull the cord out of the plug.
    That might actually be a good thing! Saves you from ripping the cable out and ruining it or the case.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Very true, just not well suited for use in a hydration pack or anywhere that there can be a lot of movement. It mounts up to the frame very nicely though, or in my case on the stem as I run a rather long (130mm) stem

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just wanted to share that I just tested this on an extremely rocky, root covered set of trails on one of my old school (think no suspension) rigs and I am happy to report no issues from vibration breaking contact so in that regard it seems good. Only bad thing was that because of the mounting on the stem it was smacking around kind of loudly on the rougher sections. That can be addressed easily e ought though

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How exactly does that pack mount, manbeer?

I see on Kaidomain where there is some kind of slot thing going on with the top cap, is there a mating clip that fastens to the frame? Looks like that might be included with the KD 2 lamp package but is not pictured on the battery page.

Thanks.

NEW: 2s2p battery case available from KD-image.jpgNEW: 2s2p battery case available from KD-image.jpg

RAKC
    Im noticing that my mj880 case is very similar to this design but with a cord. Too bad we cant get the other 880 clone cases, though stock cord sucks. Only saw that because of the not huge plastic ends on it. But too the huge plastic ends might be a good thing lol.

mtbr member
    Should be possible to glue some soft sponge/foam to the case to keep things quiet while mounted to the frame. Of course if you have a good size battery bag that won't be necessary.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm going to have to take a picture to more accurately show it as I suck with descriptions but basically there is a slot in the top cap. From there, you have 2 pieces which you have the choice of using. The first is a simple clip like a big version of what would be on a pen or something, presumably for use in the pocket or whatever. The second is an odd sort of u shaped thing that wraps around half the pack and has a sort of rubber band that has a couple dozen holes to strap it on. It works fine, but I want to find a better method of mounting

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ah, okay now I get it manbeer, thanks. What threw me was that there are two clip pieces, didn't occur to me they were for use separately, was trying to figure out how they'd fit together, d'oh! So I guess with just the simple clip you could attach the pack through the horizontal loop in any kind of kit bag, just like you'd mount a 2xAAA tail light. And yeah, can see how you'd need some kind of foam or soft material between the case and the frame, to keep the pack stable when using the wrapping clip. Wonder if a section of thorn-resistant 2" inner tube could fit around the case, including the end caps. Otherwise some black weather-proofing tape might do the trick. Might want to build up opposite side of the case between the caps first so that the whole thing makes uniform contact with the frame.

Thanks again manbeer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Actually some inner tube may just work perfectly! Thanks for the idea, and yeah...the weird moustache looking clip is the one for on the frame mounting. In all honesty with a better strap it should be ok though. The thin rubber strap has a lot of give to it