Neutral White Setup. Need opinions/recommendations.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Neutral White Setup. Need opinions/recommendations.

There seems to have been quite a few new offerings with neutral white lights recently. All this hub-bub makes me want to jump on the bandwagon!

I'm coming from an SS x2 on my handlebar (dunno if original or cheap clone,still running the stock battery). My helmet has an old cree q5 torch secured with rubber bands. I am somewhat DIY-friendly, but currently lack the tools/time/funds/desire to get up close and personal. Whatever I get will likely stay stock. I don't currently have any 18650 cells, so I'm considering the full sets if i've heard that the included packs are decent.

Right now I'm leaning towards the KD2 NW set to go on my handlebars. A good all-around light. Beam pattern seems flood-ish. Programmable driver is a plus. The "re-useable" battery pack that it comes with quite appealing. If I ever got around to buying some cells, I wouldn't have to worry about making a pack or getting another case. Included cells are not trash.

Yinding on GB seems comparable. Arguably better optics and heatsinking, but lacks programmable modes. I've not heard anything about the included cells.

The nitefighter BT40s has the most agreeable beam pattern for my use-case. It uses xp-g2 (I'm not really sure how that compares to the xm-l2 that everyone else uses). Cat's review is complimentary. I've heard the cells are decent. But at $70, the set just doesn't make sense.

GJHS's thread about the SS x3 and xt40 has some good photos. xt40 seems more flood-like while ss x3 has tighter hotspot. I don't know anything about the packs these come with. Does anyone out there know?

The nightfighter BT21 and BT70 have not been realeased yet. are these guys worth waiting for? The bt21 has showed up on GB, but to my knowledge has not shipped yet. They are charging a premium for the set. This might mean they are actually using quality stuff, or not.

Are there any other suitable NW lights I should look into?

As for my helmet, I'm a bit less exacting. I'd want something spot-y. But I was actually thinking of just moving my ss x2 up there cuz of it's pattern. It'd certainly be a lot cheaper than another light. anyone have experience with the ssx2 on your head? is it ok to mix NW with CW? would any of the previously listed lights make more sense on my head?

Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.

tl;dr
    I'm lookin for new lights.
    non-negotiable req's:
    1. neutral white
    2. flood pattern for bars
    3. bright (i ride smooth trails at night)

more prefs than reqs:
    4. any bundles come with "reusable" packs/cases?
    5. some decent cells thrown in for good measure would help
    6. something with throw for the helmet (does my existing ss x2 make sense here?)

RAKC
    Bt21 and bt40 or bt40 and yinding. Bt40 battery is why the price, better than anything included with other lights. Bt21 is released now, working on a group buy for both.

Kd2 has serious overheating issues due to poor internal design.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have been riding with the X3 on my bars and XT40 on the helmet and have been very happy. If any change, I would swap the X3 with a Yinding; I wouldn't change the XT40 on my helmet it's a great light with great throw. I just rode using the XT40 alone and just wished for more light over the tire. I would lean towards the Yinding over the X3 just because of its size, construction and versatility.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    hmm, beam shots of the xt40 don't really show a defined hotspot. wouldn't that make it a better bar light? Anyone know how the bt40s compares directly against the xt40?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't own any solar storm lights but I do own a lot of lights and you simply can't beat the bt40 as a bar light for anywhere near the price. Given the other options I wouldn't bother with a kd2, the yinding is built much better and even though you don't get a programable driver the build quality more than makes up for it. I would go for a bt40 on the bars and either yinding or bt21 on the helmet. The nitefighter batteries are great so if you need battery packs I'd spring for the kits. I can't speak for the bt21 as we haven't seen one torn apart yet, but the quality of the bt40 kit as a whole surpasses any off the shelf kits I have seen for under 150 dollars or so. I have a magicshine mj872 which is what the bt40 was modeled after. It sells for more than double the price and the lighthead and battery are both better on the nitefighter. If you do choose to go yinding it's a good choice as well but if you don't have battery packs and chargers it'll add up to more by the time you get them

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well warthogasm, if you get the complete BT40S package for your bars, then you'll be free to purchase any variety of lamp and separate battery pack for the lid without having to lay out for an additional charger. Give you the opportunity of going with just a 2-cell mounted directly to your helmet. MTBRevolution offers a good deal on their Xeccon branded 2200mAh BAK pack, or you could get your hands on it with their Geinea tail light package for cheap. You'd end up with a second charger in that case, which you could either keep as a spare or flog on eBay, craigs et cetera for a quick return on your investment.

recovering roadie
    I recently bought both the gearbest Yinding neutral and the gearbest Solarstorm x3 neutral, and the Solarstorm x3 definitely wins between the two. You can run it on max for a long time and not have overheating problems (a big deal in Arizona), plus the amount of light, both flood, throw, and color is great.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks for all the helpful info/insight guys. Looks like the bt40s set is on the top of my list for bar lights. I'm hoping to grab one with tig's group buy.

The helmet light is a toss-up between yinding, ssx3, and bt21 (pending review, like all of us). Might just use my old ss x2 for the time being.

RAKC
    I'll say im not a fan of ssx3 as helmet light only because running it on 2 cell run time is lower, voltage drops faster. But I use a fenix case with keeppower protected Panasonics strapped to my helmet.

So I took a pic of all the lights I have that are operational (not counting the angel eye that's on my commuter). Out of those the only 2 lights that didn't need some kind of work out of the box was the bt40 and the 2 yindings. Though I can't leave well enough alone, those 2 were great untouched.

Some changes were simple (to me) changes, others like solarstorm x3 and kd2 was alot of work so I could fit optics or for kd2, fix severe heat problem. Bt40 was the one I actually have messed with the least, no need/perfect build already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by warthogism View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful info/insight guys. Looks like the bt40s set is on the top of my list for bar lights. I'm hoping to grab one with tig's group buy.

The helmet light is a toss-up between yinding, ssx3, and bt21 (pending review, like all of us). Might just use my old ss x2 for the time being.
    Check out the XT40 thread, it's a great helmet light. Also if you need waterproof, go with the Yinding vs the BT40 for your bars.

RAKC
    Hopefully the new bt40s have the oring not falling out in the optics (easy fix but still) cause I fixed mine and dunked it briefly, perfectly dry inside. It and yinding are the only lights id trust really getting seriously wet. Solarstorm does a decent job too (though from way GJHS loves his xt40 I need to get one) but these guys know the solarstorms far better than me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I know, besides me, CatManDo and Jokaankit use the XT40 on the helmet and all are really happy with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I may have to try an xt40. The only thing that's put me off is that it looked big and I'm all about light helmet lights. Are they mod friendly or is it just a use it out of the box scenario?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I would never use my XT40 on the helmet because of its size. I've gotten used to the small size of the Yinding and it works great on the helmet for me.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    well, bt40s ordered. Now that I see that price of the bt21 kit, it makes me want to get the yinding set. $20 is not chump change for me, especially after splurging on the bt40s. Looking at it another way, the bt21 is 50% more expensive than the yinding!

Oh well, too early to say. Gotta wait for some reviews of the bt21 before making that judgement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well here is the tricky part... The yinding plus either battery case go sells adds 13 dollars so it is now 38. Depending on if it is the Fenix you will need 2 decent protected cells, or the solar storm you will need 4 decent unprotected cells. Both options will run about 20 dollars and up. Now you are at 58 dollars minimum so the bt21 is about the same price and includes decent charger as well. Unless you already have the battery in which case it doesn't matter but I am fairly sure that the battery included in the yinding kit is not worth bothering with

RAKC
    Im fairly confident bt21 is going to be about the same as yinding except case has better cooling. But for that increased weight comes in. I love my yinding with a fenix case/protected Panasonics on the helmet doesn't get overly heavy. If your carrying battery in a hydropack your options open up a bit more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm thinking the same except that KIR tested the yinding at 1.7-2 amps on high stock so if that's accurate and niterider is correct with their 2.6amp rating it should be a modest increase in output

RAKC
    Well yinding calculated is 2.5 (before losses obviously) so I dont see them being much different. But if we get lucky and your right could be interesting. Im simply expecting a yinding that is bigger and you can't cook breakfast on the top of the case (well mine you can hehe)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hmm now you have me wondering. I got an rc volt/ammeter but it never worked properly but I can test draw on my Klein mm1000. I'll check my gloworm xs first as I know what it's supposed to draw to see how accurate this meter is though. My yinding hasn't been too bad with heat but I only used it once, at 40 degrees, on medium

RAKC
    Mine isn't bad on medium either, on high on the other hand....

recovering roadie
    After more use, I can run the Solarstorm x3 on high an not overheat but the Yinding should really only be run on high on descents - it will overheat after a while. It gets really hot.

RAKC
    Neither light is needed on high all the time anyway. Ya yinding gets hot but led systems can run a bit hot without issue. X3 doesn't get hot because it pushes half the current to each emitter that the yinding does and a bit bigger casing.