Need your collective opinion...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579

    Need your collective opinion...

    Hey lads and lasses of MTBR, I am going to throw a question out; what in your opinion is the best handlebar mount out there?

    We have a pretty sweet one in the works for the Strykr, but I think it's a good idea to divine your cumulative knowledge.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    72

    Check this....

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Hey lads and lasses of MTBR, I am going to throw a question out; what in your opinion is the best handlebar mount out there?

    We have a pretty sweet one in the works for the Strykr, but I think it's a good idea to divine your cumulative knowledge.
    This one is by far the best I know. Just remove to top part and you have it...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by eranpeled View Post
    This one is by far the best I know. Just remove to top part and you have it...
    Very interesting Eranpeled, that is VERY similar to the one we have in the works, with a couple of things different but I really like it. I think it would actually work with our Strykr series with a few tweaks...hmmm

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    72

    That's nice to hear.

    and...you can call me Eran

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by eranpeled View Post
    and...you can call me Eran
    Heh! Thanks Eran

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    145
    I agree, thats the one i have used on all of my lights over the past few years, leaves nothing on the bike to be stolen, holds well, is strong (have only ever bust one in a crash/ saved the light though).

    The only one id say was better is the hope one maybe as once its set its a cam lever to get off and goes on the same every time after that.

    moggy

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jr711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    385
    I like the Exposure lights mount. I like the handlebar light mounted centered. The Exposure mount allows you to mount the light as close to center as possible without having a funky adapter that creates too much leverage.

    Their cleat system is pretty solid too. Just wish it were quick release or tool free adjustment.

    I like the Lupine center mounts as well.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,374
    I like the cateye mounts - simple if somewhat unattractive, work well, robust (if you avoid the crappy "fits all sizes of handlerbar" one, which sucks), cheap. I use them on all the lights I make. They also have a helmet mount (if it ever gets back in stock) that uses the same system.

    Probably not what you're after as this is presumably for the lights you make, but I like that system. I still have an old HL1500 from ~15yrs ago - the light is useless but the bracket still works fine

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    I like the cateye mounts - simple if somewhat unattractive, work well, robust (if you avoid the crappy "fits all sizes of handlerbar" one, which sucks), cheap. I use them on all the lights I make. They also have a helmet mount (if it ever gets back in stock) that uses the same system.

    Probably not what you're after as this is presumably for the lights you make, but I like that system. I still have an old HL1500 from ~15yrs ago - the light is useless but the bracket still works fine
    Thanks for the input Mr. Muppet. 15 years is awesome! Do you have a picture or model name/style of the one that you like?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Question: How important is the ability to have your light centered over/in front of your stem?

    I have my own opinion but I want your thoughts.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,374
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Thanks for the input Mr. Muppet. 15 years is awesome! Do you have a picture or model name/style of the one that you like?
    well, they're pretty simple

    couple of pics down in this post shows the spacer and bracket (H-32 or 31, I can't remember). I'd happily post a link to Cateye's website, but it blows goats even worse than the previous one and they've removed the small parts section that has them. All their new lights have Flexcrap(TM) brackets that are as useful as overcooked pasta.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,374
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Question: How important is the ability to have your light centered over/in front of your stem?

    I have my own opinion but I want your thoughts.
    not important. Given the distance in front of the wheel that most people aim their lights (10ft? 20ft), a couple of inches left or right on the bars isn't going to make any difference. Plus it introduces a whole load of compatibility problems which, in order to avoid them, will result in a light so high up as to cop a whacking in a crash.

    they do look neat though

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    well, they're pretty simple

    couple of pics down in this post shows the spacer and bracket (H-32 or 31, I can't remember). I'd happily post a link to Cateye's website, but it blows goats even worse than the previous one and they've removed the small parts section that has them. All their new lights have Flexcrap(TM) brackets that are as useful as overcooked pasta.
    Aww man! I was going to name our new mount the "Flexcrap(TM)", bummer...

    So it's a basic little cam-lock set up, excellent. I very much appreciate the input. That DIY light of yours is pretty *****in' by the way, that dual really lit up your yard!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,374
    no way would it be as crap as the Flexcrap. Even when it's not snapping in half it still doesn't grip the bars tightly enough and the light ends up pointing at the ground.

    Thanks for the props - you should see my Real Man(TM) light, that kicks my helmet light out of town. No beam shots yet, hopefully tonight.

    Oh, and another thing you might want to look into - remote switches. Not everyone needs them, but I ride incredibly rocky trails and I often can't take a hand off my grip. My new light has a cobbled together remote and it's awesome. You can even do "helmet slap" remotes for helmet lights.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    no way would it be as crap as the Flexcrap. Even when it's not snapping in half it still doesn't grip the bars tightly enough and the light ends up pointing at the ground.

    Thanks for the props - you should see my Real Man(TM) light, that kicks my helmet light out of town. No beam shots yet, hopefully tonight.

    Oh, and another thing you might want to look into - remote switches. Not everyone needs them, but I ride incredibly rocky trails and I often can't take a hand off my grip. My new light has a cobbled together remote and it's awesome. You can even do "helmet slap" remotes for helmet lights.
    Good input on the center mounting question, it adds complexity (cost), leverages weight (leading to possible bouncing on trail chatter), but it sure does look cool.

    Remote switches, I like them too, the only issue is waterproofing for our military/tactical applications. I would like one though, I am 100% sure we could do it, but in this day and age of decent inexpensive lights, we are trying to bring costs down. (In your honest opinion should we take those lights into consideration?) Do you personally think it would be worth an increase in price at retail?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    72

    For me, it is

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Question: How important is the ability to have your light centered over/in front of your stem?

    I have my own opinion but I want your thoughts.
    Very important...!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    838
    I have to agree with Shannon having my light centered on the bars looks cool but isn't necessary. and having a remote on the bar also I'm not changing my lights enough to warrant one, dim at the bottom of the climb and full bore over the top, That's it.
    I kind of like this style http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3106.html
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by eranpeled View Post
    Very important...!
    Eran, why is the centering the light over/in front of the stem important to you?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    692

    Centered lighting options

    I used to incorporate a center mounting attachment bracket when running a single light on the bars. Geoman does offer several on his site I believe. There are a bunch of manufacturers that produce them though and they vary in price depending on clamping system and material used:

    http://www.bev-intl.com/computer-mount.htm

    http://http://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

    I personally didn't experience any trail chatter effects any more than I did when mounting a light directly to bars. On the straight and narrow there wasn't much difference in terms of straight ahead beam shot placement. However, when making turns I did notice a deviance between center mounted versus offset bar mounted single lights. There was definitely a skewered effect. For me the solution was simple - run 2 identical lights on the bars directly mounted, 1 on the left and 1 on the right. Despite different combinations of reflectors and/or lenses, as long as both lights were switched on, the skewness is very hard to notice, even when cornering.

    Having said that, the sharper and more focussed a beam pattern is, the skewness becomes more pronounced, when say compared to a softer general flood beam pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 06-28-2011 at 09:26 PM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jr711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    385
    I agree with Chromagflw. Yes, in straight line situations an off center light does not make much a difference. But with my light off center i typically will adjust the beam's spot in the center of what ever distance i point it at. Which means in tight switchback trails, my light feels like its over steering or under steering depending on which way i turn. I usually always run a head lamp and handlebar lamp, so not a big deal. But you asked what I am looking for in a mount.

    1. Rigid
    2. Low profile
    3. Centered or as close to center as possible
    4. Tool free adjustment
    5. Quick Release

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,069
    I always was a fan of the mount used on the Dinotte 600L. Basically, a cam style quick release bar base that allows the main unit to slide on to the top. Once on base the unit could both pivot and tilt without any adjustment needed to the base. To this day the most usable mount I ever owned.

  22. #22
    what a joke
    Reputation: ozlongboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by eranpeled View Post
    This one is by far the best I know. Just remove to top part and you have it...
    I have one similar/the same on a bar mount 7Up light.

    I also have the standard O-ring mount on my magicshine. My lupine edison had the same O-ring system.

    I like them both.

    5" either side of center does not make a difference as long as its aiming straight out, its when the curve of the bar makes the light aim to the side it becomes a problem.
    blah blah blah

  23. #23
    ride for fun
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    397
    personally, i like the minimalist o-ring type mount. quick and easy and doesnt mess up carbon bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,696
    I never liked the "single sided" mounts when I used commercial (NR) lights. The bar/stem combos on my last 2 bikes does not have enough straight section for the mount to sit on. It rides on the transition of the straight to the upsweep (Easton Monkeylite XC). This makes aiming difficult. I had to modify my NR halogens so they could "pivot" a bit on the mount to get a proper aim.

    A dual o-ring type that straddles the stem is my favorite for my bigger lights. My little light mounts right under the stem with just a Velcro patch and wrap.

    Remote switch on a bar light is IMO the best. I have a remote switch (hooks to the Camelback strap) for my helmet light as well. That is not so necessary. I'll leave that off my next helmet light.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,374
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Remote switches, I like them too, the only issue is waterproofing for our military/tactical applications. I would like one though, I am 100% sure we could do it, but in this day and age of decent inexpensive lights, we are trying to bring costs down. (In your honest opinion should we take those lights into consideration?) Do you personally think it would be worth an increase in price at retail?
    that's a hard question to answer as I haven't bought a light for ~6yrs (and that was only a commuter light) and relative value is very personal. If you could add a waterproofable port to the housing and then have the remote as a separate accessory, that would probably keep everyone happy. I don't know enough about the light industry to know how much adding that port and the wiring to the driver would add to the retail cost ($5-10?), but $20 would be perfectly reasonable for a separate remote.

    As for how useful it would be, that depends on:
    - what sort of riding you do (smooth vs. rocky)
    - how long (short rides at full output vs. 24h races conserving the battery)
    - how hot (my helmet light's thermal protection tripped a couple of rides ago, so I had to switch it back up at the top of the climb)
    - how much of a tech nerd you are
    etc

    If it isn't tooo hard to add the option and doing so doesn't bump up the price too much, then the consumer can decide how important the remote is.

    Thinking about the centre mount question, I have to say I never ride only with a bar light - it's always helmet only or helmet+bar, which might account for the difference in opinion.

  26. #26
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    I think the most important feature must be that it is truly QR.
    The cateye mounts are great, but you have to unscrew the cam lock completely to get the mount off the bars.
    That is a deal breaker for me.....as I have several bikes I switch my lights between and am always letting buddies borrow lights.
    It gets old having to completely unscrew the thing.
    And if the nut on the inside happens to come out of place, fuggetaboutit.

    It needs to have a QR cam lock, be uber strong, aluminum would be worth changing the retail price, and possibly have a centering option for those who feel they need it.

    I absolutely hate stuff on my bars, and would remove everything if I could.
    Add on a GPS a Gravity Dropper remote, a travel adjust switch and things really start getting cluttered on the bars.
    It's nice to be able to remove stuff when you are not using it, like the light mount.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

  27. #27
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    Oh yea, to actually answer your question Shannon,
    I think the best mount out there are the Marwi Mounts. It is what I am using on my Strykr. VERY solid.
    You should use it as your inspiration.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    that's a hard question to answer as I haven't bought a light for ~6yrs (and that was only a commuter light) and relative value is very personal. If you could add a waterproofable port to the housing and then have the remote as a separate accessory, that would probably keep everyone happy. I don't know enough about the light industry to know how much adding that port and the wiring to the driver would add to the retail cost ($5-10?), but $20 would be perfectly reasonable for a separate remote.

    As for how useful it would be, that depends on:
    - what sort of riding you do (smooth vs. rocky)
    - how long (short rides at full output vs. 24h races conserving the battery)
    - how hot (my helmet light's thermal protection tripped a couple of rides ago, so I had to switch it back up at the top of the climb)
    - how much of a tech nerd you are
    etc

    If it isn't tooo hard to add the option and doing so doesn't bump up the price too much, then the consumer can decide how important the remote is.

    Thinking about the centre mount question, I have to say I never ride only with a bar light - it's always helmet only or helmet+bar, which might account for the difference in opinion.
    Good stuff Mr. Muppet! I generally run a helmet system as well so the dead-center mounting thing has never really been something I personally think about. Our new mount (in it's current design) will be able to offset to the dead center from either side of the handlebar, it's very low-profile and we've kept it fairly narrow so as to not have a large a footprint on the bars. (I wouldn't want to crowd my cow-bell)

    As far as the remote switch, all of the points you made are valid reasons to have one. I think at this point, at least for this season (2012), we will not have remotes. That would require a very expensive retooling and that is not going to happen this year, I'd rather keep our costs down and keep the price point as reasonable as possible.

    I really appreciate your input!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by nick d View Post
    personally, i like the minimalist o-ring type mount. quick and easy and doesnt mess up carbon bars.
    I do too, we have a nice minimalist o-ring mount that works perfectly with our fly-weight Strykr Pro, the Strykr on the other hand is much more tank-like and requires a burlier set-up to handle choppy terrain. So...here we are talking about mounts.

    Plus I am just curious at to what you guys all think. I have my own biases, so I think the best way to learn is hear what my fellow nocturnal riders (like yourself) have to say. It is great to get everyone's opinion.

    Shannon

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,374
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    As far as the remote switch, all of the points you made are valid reasons to have one. I think at this point, at least for this season (2012), we will not have remotes. That would require a very expensive retooling and that is not going to happen this year, I'd rather keep our costs down and keep the price point as reasonable as possible.

    I really appreciate your input!
    no worries. I figured that it would be a pretty major change (casting, driver design, assembly etc), but something worth considering the next time the design comes up for review.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I never liked the "single sided" mounts when I used commercial (NR) lights. The bar/stem combos on my last 2 bikes does not have enough straight section for the mount to sit on. It rides on the transition of the straight to the upsweep (Easton Monkeylite XC). This makes aiming difficult. I had to modify my NR halogens so they could "pivot" a bit on the mount to get a proper aim.

    A dual o-ring type that straddles the stem is my favorite for my bigger lights. My little light mounts right under the stem with just a Velcro patch and wrap.

    Remote switch on a bar light is IMO the best. I have a remote switch (hooks to the Camelback strap) for my helmet light as well. That is not so necessary. I'll leave that off my next helmet light.
    Hey Vancbiker, did you make the dual o-ring mount that straddles your stem? If so, wow! That is a cool sounding mount, I have had similar ideas. I have run into situations where the up-sweep on the bar started right at the edge of the stem, it does make mounting more difficult. We have done a fair job on the new mount design in that the mount has a rather narrow width. I really like your straddling the stem concept though...hmmm...

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    Oh yea, to actually answer your question Shannon,
    I think the best mount out there are the Marwi Mounts. It is what I am using on my Strykr. VERY solid.
    You should use it as your inspiration.
    Hey Savagemann, or shall call you Mr. Mann? Heh, anyway, have you sent me a picture or posted a picture of how have the Strykr set up on that Marwi mount? If not would you mind posting one?

    Thank you for your input, I am a fan of cam-locks as well from my dark, dark, NiteRider days. (just kidding)

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,696
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Hey Vancbiker, did you make the dual o-ring mount that straddles your stem? If so, wow! That is a cool sounding mount, I have had similar ideas. I have run into situations where the up-sweep on the bar started right at the edge of the stem, it does make mounting more difficult. We have done a fair job on the new mount design in that the mount has a rather narrow width. I really like your straddling the stem concept though...hmmm...
    Yes, they are DIY. A couple of pics of the straddle mounts and of the micro under the stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need your collective opinion...-new-image.jpg  

    Need your collective opinion...-5cell_011.jpg  

    Need your collective opinion...-micro1.jpg  

    Need your collective opinion...-micro.jpg  


  34. #34
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Hey Savagemann, or shall call you Mr. Mann? Heh, anyway, have you sent me a picture or posted a picture of how have the Strykr set up on that Marwi mount? If not would you mind posting one?

    Thank you for your input, I am a fan of cam-locks as well from my dark, dark, NiteRider days. (just kidding)
    No prob.
    I was lazy when I used this mount and mounted the Strykr to my Magicshine adapter as it made the process much faster.

    The Strykr can be directly mounted to the bottom portion of the mount though, you just need to rig up a different bolt. Easy. This does away with the quick release tab part of the mount. You can see the different pieces in the pics.

    Doing it the way I did it has a couple advantages, at least for me.
    1 is that it makes the light head quickly removable without having to remove the bar mount
    2 is that it gets the light a bit higher up above the bars, so you can clear the cables

    I really like the Marwi mount. It is very stout, and has great adjustability. The indexing for side to side adjustments is the best I have ever seen and never moves unless you want it to.

    I could easily do away with the Magicshine adapter. I would just dremel the tabs off the upper mount, and drill a hole to mount the Strykr directly to the base plate. That way I would retain the quick release upper part. Only issue for me is it would lower the light on the bars.

    EL34 sells them on his website......Hoffman Amplifiers
    He also makes/sells the Magicshine adapters and various other parts. Great guy.

    http://www.hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/p...R_ID=343531585

    BTW Shannon, I sent you an email regarding an extension cable a few minutes ago......= )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need your collective opinion...-strykr_marwi1.jpg  

    Need your collective opinion...-strykr_marwi2.jpg  

    Need your collective opinion...-strykr_marwi3.jpg  

    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    373
    4 flavors .

    1- removable
    2- non-removable = permanent
    3- semi removable
    4- not handlebar mount

    1, most favor, taking it off, since they are weight weenie vampires,
    they don't want to be caught by daylight, with a light mounted on the handlebar,...
    2 - non removable, is the pro class, including military, once bolted on, no vibrations,
    shall ever alter where the light is pointed.
    3 semi, the semi pro, wants, the light of, mostly , that it does not get stolen,
    but does not want to be bothered, with a time-consuming mounting task.
    those mounts are usually the slide and lock type. commuter type.
    4 not on handlebar.
    for some the handlebar is holy prime real-estate , GPS, speedometer, phone, munchies,...
    and lower is better. for better terrain visibility, and less glare for on-coming traffic.
    anywhere else is fine.

    notes:
    for single , off center, the mount needs to be able to rotate, to adjust, for the off-center.
    cost, most want cheap. then again, if you look at Lupine, it's got to be decent, available, and last a long time.
    centered and off-set,... Lupine Piko did it.
    for remote switch, I want one. for 99% others, without is fine, as long as it's $10 cheaper.
    good example, Niterider classic, had a remote switch,... new one did not.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bamwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,099
    for any amount of windy trail riding, handlebar mounts just don't cut it when you need to look ahead around corners. maybe for road bikes though. Handlebar mounting just seems outdated to me.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa1 View Post
    for any amount of windy trail riding, handlebar mounts just don't cut it when you need to look ahead around corners. maybe for road bikes though. Handlebar mounting just seems outdated to me.
    When I 1st started out night riding I didn't want to invest in both handlebar and helmet mounted lights due to the cost and the plain fact I didn't know any better. Fast forward to today - I wouldn't have it any other way using both. In fact now, 2 handle bar mounted lights and a single mounted one on the lid is standard protocol.

    Night riding constitutes to probably 50% of my saddle time. I neither park my bike in public areas not leave it unattended for any length of time. My bar and helmet mounts with lights are permanent fixtures and are only taken off when cleaning or traveling overseas with bike.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    239
    The best handlebar mount I've used is the Nite Rider universal mount. It's adjustable in all directions and will fit virtually any side handlebar/frame tube.

    I took off the little Nite Rider clip and screwed on a 2" section of 1"OD PVC. With that, I can mount my DiNotte 140L (rear facing, of course) on the back of the frame, seat tube, seat stays, chain stays or even seat post. I can also mount my DiNotte 200L, MS900, or BD Strykr to it on my handlebars, even in the drops on drop bars. It's amazingly versatile.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,069
    ....and speaking of handlebar mounts: I was rummaging around in my back room and found a box of old Niterider and Marwi mounting hardware given to me years ago by an old fellow MTB'er friend looking to clean out his closet. I have no idea what light it originally came with ( maybe someone else knows ) but it is perfect for mounting a Bikeray IV on. Now the light sits right over the stem which I really like and it is rock solid. Should be no more vibrations ( haven't tested it yet ). Totally quick release, comes off in seconds. It uses an adjustable and locking metal clip. Even better I have it sitting on a large rubber washer that will allow the light head to pivot, an added plus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need your collective opinion...-mountbr.jpg  


  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    129
    I favor the cammed quick release style so I can switch between bikes. Center mount would be nice, but is not a deal breaker, as I ride mostly road or cross bikes and both bikes have cables that block the light output somewhat out of the center postition. I don't want to have to adjust it too much every time I switch between bikes but keep in mind that many of today's bars (especially road) have varying diameters at different parts of the bars.

    As far as remote switch goes, I would not want the retail to reflect a higher price because of it - why not offer it as an option or accessory purchase? A small plug in outlet on the light could solve your waterproof/military application.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by betweenrides View Post
    I favor the cammed quick release style so I can switch between bikes. Center mount would be nice, but is not a deal breaker, as I ride mostly road or cross bikes and both bikes have cables that block the light output somewhat out of the center postition. I don't want to have to adjust it too much every time I switch between bikes but keep in mind that many of today's bars (especially road) have varying diameters at different parts of the bars.

    As far as remote switch goes, I would not want the retail to reflect a higher price because of it - why not offer it as an option or accessory purchase? A small plug in outlet on the light could solve your waterproof/military application.
    Road bars drive me crazy at times with their fancy aerodynamicyness! They can be a challenge when it comes to mount design.

    A remote would be awesome, probably not going to happen this season though. We have some devious plans for the future however...I could tell you but..(you know the line)

    I very much appreciate everyone's input! Keep it coming, this is great stuff! I particularly enjoy the unholy mating of different light companies mounts - awesome!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Road bars drive me crazy at times with their fancy aerodynamicyness! They can be a challenge when it comes to mount design.
    I agree - the differing diameters makes everything more challenging. I have to mount the garmin on the stem for this reason. My current road bars are thick at the stem, taper down to a smaller diameter then back to flat - there's only about 1 inch of usable/mountable space in there. But a thin cam mount like the one for the Piko would work just fine in that limited area.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ....and speaking of handlebar mounts: I was rummaging around in my back room and found a box of old Niterider and Marwi mounting hardware given to me years ago by an old fellow MTB'er friend looking to clean out his closet. I have no idea what light it originally came with ( maybe someone else knows ) but it is perfect for mounting a Bikeray IV on. Now the light sits right over the stem which I really like and it is rock solid. Should be no more vibrations ( haven't tested it yet ). Totally quick release, comes off in seconds. It uses an adjustable and locking metal clip. Even better I have it sitting on a large rubber washer that will allow the light head to pivot, an added plus.
    Cat those oldshool nightrider mounts are great I use them on MS 1400s but you can use them with just about anything
    Shannon Come up with something universal like this and you could sell them for other brands also
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by betweenrides View Post
    I agree - the differing diameters makes everything more challenging. I have to mount the garmin on the stem for this reason. My current road bars are thick at the stem, taper down to a smaller diameter then back to flat - there's only about 1 inch of usable/mountable space in there. But a thin cam mount like the one for the Piko would work just fine in that limited area.
    Aero bars...grrrr...

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Cat those oldshool nightrider mounts are great I use them on MS 1400s but you can use them with just about anything
    Ya know, I was just visualizing how one of Scar's duel XM-L lights might look mounted on one of these...

    Anyone know if you can still buy these mounts (?), they are quite perfect for stuff like this.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ....Anyone know if you can still buy these mounts (?), they are quite perfect for stuff like this.
    Well I'm answering my own post again....It turns out Yes, you can still buy these mounts. I saw some on ebay and at the Performance web site I believe. They are not cheap though and it seems the new ones don't have the quick release clip...BUT....it is basically the same design only it is using an adjustable screw which is not so bad. It might even be better than the original, who knows.

  47. #47
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,981

    picture for Cat

    2x Cree XM-L light head mounted to a Marwi bar mount -






    ***

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    2x Cree XM-L light head mounted to a Marwi bar mount -
    Scar, are you sure that you are using the same Marwi bar mount as savagemann. On his photo the mount is very small, whereas with yours the mount makes the light look like a minature

Similar Threads

  1. the collective
    By miggy in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 08:11 AM
  2. Collective II
    By catnash in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 01:35 PM
  3. The Collective
    By kev0153 in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 04:13 PM
  4. The Collective
    By dhchick in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 09:03 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.