Need some help about Amazon lights...- Mtbr.com
    gone ridin'...

Need some help about Amazon lights...

Alright, I have never been night riding out on the trails before, and I want to embark on my first. I want to start off with minimal investment to make sure I truly enjoy it. This means I want to spend very little on a light for the wife and I, but I want it to last for at least 15-20 rides and I want it to have sufficient light output to be able to navigate trails safely. I have seen these two lights on Amazon:
    The Divine:
    Amazon.com : Brightest Bike Light on Amazon - Comes With FREE TAIL LIGHT(Limited Time) - Tools-Free Installation in Seconds - The Best Headlight on Amazon Compatible with: Mountain & Kids & Street Bicycles - Divine LEDs : Sports & Outdoors

And the Bright Eyes:
    Amazon.com : THE BEST BIKE LIGHT -- Bright Eyes 300 Lumen 2-pack LED Bicycle Headlight - Includes Second Set For FREE - Mounts in Seconds With No Tools Required - LIFETIME WARRANTY : Sports & Outdoors

I read the reviews, and people seem to give them favorable reviews, but I am not sure how many are commuters and how many of them are MTB'ers. We ride very casually, but we do tackle some more difficult trails. For the most part, our night riding endeavors will likely be on smooth singletrack without many obstacles. Does anyone own one of these lights and can vouch for their output and durability? Trust me, I am not expecting a tough, super bright setup that will last for a lifetime of riding. If we truly enjoy the experience, I'll be churning out the bills for some quality lights.
    2 years to retirement...

RAKC
    Those aren't even bike lights their flash lights with bar mounts. I know your trying to be cheap but lights that put out 150lumens max aren't going to cut it in the least.

Dont have a link at the moment but the make rechargeable ones that have separate battery pack that are cheap. Lights are good but packs are sub par so you'll probably get 10-15 good runs before they start craping out.

There's alot of info on this forum, look around you'll find a ton of info on lights that will be helpful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I started night riding with a similar set. I believe I read the output of those models to be around 300 lumens, if that is correct, I believe you can get much more output for a similar amount of money. A lot of people use this light (link) and have good luck with it. I have one of my own however, I don't use it for mtbiking, road riding only because I believe the rubber mount is a bit flimsy and also because I own a couple of fancy Niterider lights, however, it is darn bright, I am pretty sure I would be able to work a way of mounting the light in a more secure fashion (better rubber, tighter handlebar, something similar) but don't have the need to go that route.

From what I read around here, these bike lights' main flaw is the battery, however, it should last you about a season and give you a very good introductory point for night riding hence, you can determine, as you stated before, if you really like it and would want to invest some money.

Finally, if you want to spend on branded lights, with good mfr support, I will recommend Niterider.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I have a sample size of one with only a few tests, but this light is working well for me so far:

Amazon.com: 5000 Lumen 2x CREE XML U2 LED Cycling Bicycle Bike Light Lamp HeadLight Headlamp: Sports & Outdoors

I've heard Chinese lights like this are highly inconsistent in quality, so I think there's a chance you get a bunk one... But for the cost (and I think there's some Amazon protection too) you can't really go wrong in my mind.

It doesn't put out the 5,000 lumens it says, but from reading and comparing to other lights it does seem to put out about 1,000 on high... Plenty for night riding.

This won't be the last light you buy, unless you decide night riding is not for you, but I do think it will get you through a dozen or so rides while you decide if you like it. By the way, you will like it.

Edit: Same as recommended above, so that's two votes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Best light for that price point I have found is this one:

On amazon. Fast ship. Excellent wide beam pattern optic and a very tight thrower optic.

Can have wide only, narrow only, or both beams at same time.

A truly do it all light.

The flashlights will let you see.

These lights will let you ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas View Post
    Best light for that price point I have found is this one:

On amazon. Fast ship. Excellent wide beam pattern optic and a very tight thrower optic.

Can have wide only, narrow only, or both beams at same time.

A truly do it all light.

The flashlights will let you see.

These lights will let you ride.
    This^^^^^^^
    There are differences between seeing and riding with a light.

An example,
    A light good enough for RIDING will let you see a patch of sand on the MUT in time slow down or avoid it.

A light that allows you to SEE that patch of sand, but that's about it. Little time to slow or avoid it.

If you want to ride, you need something around 500 lumens min if you go anywhere near 15 mph.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    E-Goal CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light HeadLight HeadLamp 1200LM Black and Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S5WVOXW..._OAP0ub07KKNQM

Something like this would probably suffice if you are trying to keep budget to a minimum. Otherwise, I would recommend the securitying that was posted in the first reply as it is a better light overall

gone ridin'...

Need some help about Amazon lights...

Thank you all for the replies. Looks like I'm going to forego the cheapest of the cheapest and go with one of these other recommended versions. Appreciate all the input..

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk
    2 years to retirement...

RAKC
    I have one like the last one recommended. Not bad if your just out for a cruise but my battery run time right away was only about half of stated run time. Goo for paths and stuff like that but not so sure id be zipping along tight single track with it. I was debating on getting a better battery and mounting it to my helmet and something better for bars come this next season.

mtbr member
    As tigris99 said, I also have a light like the one posted by manbeer and highly recommend it. I also recommend the wide angle diffuser lens, it spreads the focused spot into a wider bar of light that I feel gives a better experience. I'm going on 3 seasons with this light, but I did upgrade the battery at the beginning because the one it came with would only last an hour on high power. I bought a name brand one (Xeccon) that gets me 4 hours on high power, but it is physically bigger and cost more than the light kit did. I personally have no issues riding fast and hard with it at night, it is really bright.

I also highly recommend some type of helmet-mounted light as well. You can get away with a cheaper commuter-style light or regular LED headlamp to start with, I've used a Planet Bike Blaze 2 for the last few years. But I just upgraded to a Cyclebeam 930Z and I'm enjoying an even more brightly lit trail. My opinion is that the helmet-mounted light should be self contained with an internal battery for convenience. I don't like a cable running from my helmet light to a battery pack.

Having some type of backup or redundancy is important, you don't want to lose your lighting when you're a few miles out in the forest in the dark. It's creepy out there...

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post

Having some type of backup or redundancy is important, you don't want to lose your lighting when you're a few miles out in the forest in the dark. It's creepy out there...

The paved path in town here is nice during the day but at night all the critters and crap come out. Nothing like the sudden burst of speed you get from adrenaline when getting away from a skunk you almost didn't see cause battery was almost dead. What happens when you expect close to advertised run time and you get half that....

mtbr member
    I have had some run ins with deer, but the most terrifying encounters are absolutely with skunks! Fyi, forget tomato juice - that's urban legend. Use hydrogen peroxide and Dawn dish soap to neutralize skunk smell. My dogs can vouch for this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Why not pick up some Yinding or Solarstorm lights. Those are the best deals for real lights that are currently going on. Forget these amazon lights.