Need Opinions with Light choice...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need Opinions with Light choice...

Hello All,

I am in the market for a light!

I have an opportunity to get the Seca 900 Ultra for under $500.00 that is about $200 off retail. Just wondering if I should get the light or if anyone has more / better options for around that price range?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well.....how about 2 magicshines? You'd have a light for your bars, a light for your helmet, and about $300 left in your pocket.

mtbr member
    So, in your opinion the magicshine is a good quality light comparable to Seca? Do you own one, if so what is the battery life on high? I would rather have feedback from an owner about run time.

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The Dinotte 1200L is about $479 with batteries, IIRC.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo.
    So, in your opinion the magicshine is a good quality light comparable to Seca? Do you own one, if so what is the battery life on high? I would rather have feedback from an owner about run time.

Thanks for the info.
    The Magicshine light is a low cost system and it's quality is not going to be up there with the Seca 900.

Those of us that own the Magicshine are generally guessing that the actual output is about 500-600 lumens. The typical runtime on hi beam is a little over 3 hours.

The actual lumen output of the Seca 900 is discussed in this thread.

With all of that out of the way, the Magicshine owners all seem to agree the very low cost of this light makes it a very good deal vs. many of the higher priced (and higher overall quality) light systems .

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Another thing to think about is the cost of replacement batteries. $38 for the Magicshine vs. $150+ for the Seca 900 Ultra.

TheGoat
    Has anyone that owns a magicshine found themselves out riding the light as they get faster in the trails?

The Goat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Another thing to think about is the cost of replacement batteries. $38 for the Magicshine vs. $150+ for the Seca 900 Ultra.
    That is a great point, thank you for the information from your previous post as well. It is very tempting to get two magicshines rather then one $500 light. I have some thinking to do...

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That is a great point, thank you for the information from your previous post as well. It is very tempting to get two magicshines rather then one $500 light. I have some thinking to do...

Thanks again
    I know there's a lot to read and sort through, but if you search "magicshine" here on mtbr, you'll see that most people seem to be pretty happy with their lights (especially the more recent ones as there were some improvements made to them thanks to the feedback from users and to geoman for relaying the concerns to the manufacturer).

Even on other bike related sites, there is a lot of talk about this light, and a lot of people buying them (which is why DX and Geoman keep selling out, lol!).

Keep us posted as to what you decide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Fightnut...do we just email Geoman to get our commission or what?

mtbr member
    I was going to mention the same option as fightnut since i am considering doing the same thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Dinotte 800L+400L

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    The Dinotte 1200L is about $479 with batteries, IIRC.

J.
    I'll echo the Dinotte recommendation but for $500, the 800L+400L combo is a great way to get a powerful light for the handlebars and an excellent light for the helmet. Since the topic came up, Dinotte replacement batteries are $50-$70.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I had a Seca for a while, but I sold it because I hated it on the helmet. The helmet mount puts it way too high up above the helmet. Makes the helmet move around too much and it catches on stuff.

If you want a top quality light that has a good track record of being reliable, I'd go with the Dinotte as other's have suggested. I've used the 200 and 400 and liked them quite a bit.

I think the magicshine lights are a good bargin, but I think it's probably a better light for people that like to tinker with them and are capable of taking care of any minor issue. I think time will tell on how reliable they end up being over the long run.

mtbr member
    I tend to think you are getting what you pay for ...for the most part that is. Lupine are pretty off the value scale though.

That DX light isn't worth it to me, but hey, buy two or three I guess ...spare parts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sdnative
    That DX light isn't worth it to me, but hey, buy two or three I guess ...spare parts!
    When you read stuff like this from sdnative, you have to remember.........he sells lights too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdnative
    I tend to think you are getting what you pay for ...for the most part that is. Lupine are pretty off the value scale though.

Have you trail tested the DX? Just wonder why you don't think it is worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Check the links in his signature line.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    When you read stuff like this from sdnative, you have to remember.........he sells lights too.

Ya, but I also design high quality lights from the ground up, read lots of threads on this forum and others, and have seen pictures of the internals of the light in question.

Comments wouldn't change. But understand how you might jump to that conclusion

mtbr member
    Nope, I don't own one ...never will. Would rather DIY a better one myself.

I have seen many beam shots of the subject green machine (it uses very green bin LEDs and the beam isn't too impressive ...in my opinion ), and have read many thread posts about quality issues...and seen the internals on numerous websites.... and have a light design background myself. But what do I know

From a design standpoint I can say it's not much of a specimen; it is the classic case of marketing running with a big number (900) and everyone believing because they want to. Surf around my site if you like for more on why I might think that. Link below.

Will it blow away a 15W halogen, yes, of course if will. Will it blow away a light that is well designed, no way. Top performance costs money, that won't ever change.

It cheap ...and it's for good reasons I believe. That's all, totally your call on the value equation. I'm not hard up for sales, I don't care, choose as you may.

Chunky Monkey

Ms

Time will tell.....

Thx.
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

Sep 2009
    I tried out my new SECA 900 last night and I was very satisfied with its beam pattern.

I pointed the light straight ahead at my helmet height. This brightens up the whole trail in the front including all sides where my peripheral vision covers. It even lights up where my front tire. It reminds me of the IMAX theater in Dallas Science museum.

Here are the drawbacks. It is a bit heavy. I had to find the right place in the helmet to mount, otherwise it would tilt my helmet as I am riding. Once I found the right place, I was fine.

The light plus helmet mount is quite tall. (This height actually is good for the beam pattern because the helmet is not in the way, but.. ) I had to be extra careful with head clearance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get the Lupine Tesla for between $400-$500 or the Dinottes. If you want just one light, the Tesla is hard to beat with its beam pattern. With the Dinottes, I'd prefer two lights. The ARC and the Tesla are two helmet-mounted lights that I don't mind using as a one-light setup due to the great peripheral beams. I don't particularly like the Seca mount or the construction of the lighthead but the beam and beam pattern are good. At $500, it isn't a bad deal though.

Members who have read this thread: 0