Need opinion- Mtbr.com

Thread: Need opinion

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Need opinion

Hi guys,
    So just picked up my new bike today and they talked me into a Seca Enduro headlight for the bike. 2500 lumens, 300$ and he threw in a bontrager rear flashing red light. This is the first light I have ever seen that has a big battery and a cord. The cord runs from the light about 4 feet maybe less and hooks to a pretty decent sized battery. Honestly not a huge fan of that, but since I am new to mountain biking is this kind of the norm for good lights, or did I just waste my money? Thanks!

Matt

mtbr member
    It's a really good light. Lights with that combination of output and duration need big batteries. It could be more light than you need, or not, depending on how you intend to use it. Many riders will go for two lesser lights, one on the bars and one on the helmet.

Coincidentally, here's a review that just came out today:

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/ac...attery-review/
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjshaw130 View Post
    Hi guys,
    So just picked up my new bike today and they talked me into a Seca Enduro headlight for the bike. 2500 lumens, 300$ and he threw in a bontrager rear flashing red light. This is the first light I have ever seen that has a big battery and a cord. The cord runs from the light about 4 feet maybe less and hooks to a pretty decent sized battery. Honestly not a huge fan of that, but since I am new to mountain biking is this kind of the norm for good lights, or did I just waste my money? Thanks!

Matt
    The battery and cord layout is normal for a high performance light setup. He gave you an excellent deal on that light as best mail order prices are right at $400 just for the front light. Excellent light IMO and he probably mad little or no profit on it.
    Mole

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have two of the older six led design, the newest one is about five years old. Super reliable and after all these years the batteries are still good. Excellent beam pattern for a bar light, supposedly the newer ones have more throw. I change the led's every couple years to suit my taste and so far all the extra reflow cycles hasn't damaged the board or any components.

The biggest downside is the proprietary battery connector and it runs on twelve volts, getting a spare or replacement battery won't be easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mjshaw130 View Post
    Honestly not a huge fan of that, but since I am new to mountain biking is this kind of the norm for good lights, or did I just waste my money? Thanks!

Matt
    If you not like cords and packs you can use lights without that.

For example my mf01 mini with high CRI LEDs:

the first picture you must turn.

change an empty to full battery needs some seconds.
    for change empty packs on a cord based light i need some minutes.

or another member simple use his handlebar extender for an SP36
    https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/lupi...#post-16190561

to your question is the prize ok:

for a 3x XM-L LED light it looks 5x overpriced to me.
    the other thing, there is no serious mesurment to find.
    the only what i can say you is that this light will not put out real 2500 lumen for 2,5 Hours, the battery pack is to small sized for and XM-L based light.

it is possible to make ~ 1800 real lumen with XM-L LEDs and a 6x18650 battery pack for ~ 2,5 Hours.

XM-L LEDs are the basic used LED in cheapest lights on the markte, you will find on aliexpress alot of light heads with SMO reflectors and equiped with this tech value for ~20$.

add an battery pack for ~30$ and you will end with 50$ in total.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need opinion-mf01-mini.jpg  

Need opinion-mf01.jpg